Default  Lightroom overhaul  

Looks like LR is getting a huge overhaul

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/18/bye...troom-classic/

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Forced mine to update yesterday, finally playing with it a bit today. YES IT'S FASTER!!!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

The update still isn't available to me. I really hope they don't eventually move it all to the cloud, though. Adobe has stuck with their word on the subscription pricing so I hope it's the same with always providing desktop software.

Member#

I did the update last night. And I agree, it is much faster. Seems to be handling the Fuji files better also.

David, you need to force it to look for the update or wait 24 hours (which has passed by now I'd bet). It didn't think I needed the update until I told mine to check then it saw them and updated.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

So, the new and improved LR still doesn't play nice with the Fuji dynamic range settings when using off camera flash/strobes. Images still are dark when importing them into LR

it's also weird, it's faster but the image previews look super low bit depth or JPEGy? Wicked banding in gradients?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Colors still don't look quite as good as out of Capture One. But Adobe at least has made a huge step in the right direction.

agreed with my issues as well.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Working
    Member#

So, what is the best option after this overhaul - I've currently lightroom 4 and Photoshop 6 and was planning to upgrade to latest lightroom but don't want to spend monthly on cloud. Will they continue lightroom 6 or will it be getting any new updates? TIA

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by gks View Post
    So, what is the best option after this overhaul - I've currently lightroom 4 and Photoshop 6 and was planning to upgrade to latest lightroom but don't want to spend monthly on cloud. Will they continue lightroom 6 or will it be getting any new updates? TIA
    At this point, and the way things seem to be shaping up, going with the monthly plan and having LR and PS always at their current version is the best way to go. In my opinion.

they said they weren't going to support the pay once model anymore, people got pissed, they said they now WILL support it. But I'd say that writing is on the wall, I'd bet this is the last version but only time will tell. To be honest, pony up the $10/month for the photo package. It's worth it. I had on again off again legal version of both LR and PS going back ~20 years (I wouldn't pay for EVERY year but I paid every other basically). Having it update with new goodies as they're released is just awesome and it's sign up once and it just does it's thing with updates. I've never loved paying for software but this just works and makes it worth it for me.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    they said they weren't going to support the pay once model anymore, people got pissed, they said they now WILL support it. But I'd say that writing is on the wall, I'd bet this is the last version but only time will tell. To be honest, pony up the $10/month for the photo package. It's worth it. I had on again off again legal version of both LR and PS going back ~20 years (I wouldn't pay for EVERY year but I paid every other basically). Having it update with new goodies as they're released is just awesome and it's sign up once and it just does it's thing with updates. I've never loved paying for software but this just works and makes it worth it for me.
    Yea I started doing the per month last year and haven't regretted it. Works well, updates without issues. I'm just kicking myself for not grabbing Premier for only an extra $3-5/month.
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by tehshortbus View Post
    I'm just kicking myself for not grabbing Premier for only an extra $3-5/month.
    is that what it used to be? I'd love to switch to premier... I'm using iMovie now. I'm not going to go to apple's better option because if I switch I'm switching to something that works on both PC and mac.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    is that what it used to be? I'd love to switch to premier... I'm using iMovie now. I'm not going to go to apple's better option because if I switch I'm switching to something that works on both PC and mac.
    There was a sale going on for like $15-20/month to add premier to LR/PS. I have Final Cut Pro X because I got it for free when at Apple so I can't really complain. After seeing some speed tests I'm not really in a rush to change.
    Go to the 4:35 mark for the test on two of the same computers. FCPX kills it... almost 2x faster.

-Eric
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

I wonder if it is worth it on my 5 year old iMac?

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum