+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glen Ellis Falls! To CP or not to CP...

Default  Glen Ellis Falls! To CP or not to CP...  

CP = circular polarizer

went to glen ellis falls on the way home from hiking mount washington with Elias. I have a 12-24 now as well as the 16-35mm. I bought the 12-24mm for architectural work but I'm playing around with it for scapes as well. It "can not" take filters. IE it needs the massive 150mm wide options and I'm not going to go there. The biggest loss for me at this point is the fact you can't easily use a CP with it (and I'm not even sure there's an option for that with a 150mm setup?).

So here's some comparisons with and without a CP:
    16-35mm w/CP, 12-24mm w/o CP I, 12-24mm w/o CP II:

here are the three images on their own:
    16+35mm with a 3 stop ND and a CP:

12-24mm, no CP, ISO50 to get a slower shutter speed (tried f/22 as well but some spray got obnoxious). I don't like this comp but it's a full vertical image. It's missing the hanging green moss in the top left corner... :

12-24mm, no CP, ISO50 used for a slower shutter speed. This is a vertical crop from a horizontal image to match the 16-35's framing. I also prefer this comp as it has the hanging moss in the top left -vs- some scruffy looking branches:

12-24mm @ 12mm horizontal used to make the above:
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Also, ignoring my processing differences, check out this shot from 2012:

glens falls by Ben Jacobsen, on Flickr

I was using my 5Diii and a CPS loaner 17mm TS-E. I stitched 3 vertical images to get that shot... I was impressed because it had ~43mp and was ~13mm effective...
    the 17mm ts-e is also a lens that can't (easily) take a CP...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

I think #2 stands out to me, also that 2012 processing shot is harsh! Your style has evolved. nice work!

Thanks. My issue with 2 is the top left is busy where 3 has that moss I love so much?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Now I looked again and #3 pops the best. ha, I think you have winners across the board.

Member#

I like 3 the best, but the other 2 are good. But then, I shoot scapes 2 or 3 times a year at best. So, I may not be the best judge

Member#

i Like 3 as well.

It's funny, I keep going back and forth and the one with the CP almost makes the rocks look plastic kind of? The removal of the glare just gets weird. But if you don't have the CP you lose so many of the details and the water becomes much less interesting. Almost like you need a composite to paint in some of the glare?

What I'm saying is digital art is always the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What I'm saying is digital art is always the way to go.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum