+ Reply to Thread

Thread: photoplus expo 2017!

Default  photoplus expo 2017!  

I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

free.fiddy before the 13th!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

My favorite time of year! Registered.

Are we thinking of doing the same stay in NYC the night before plan as last year? I thought that worked really well.
    Last edited by frigidlight; 08-28-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Member#

��. Live too far away now. Would have to be an overnight trip.

Yes. But this time Dave let me know where you're staying and maybe we can coordinate the same place if I/we can afford it. The only way we don't go down Friday night is if I drive down Saturday AM with the wife then stay Saturday night possibly but I doubt it.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

I'll add photos to this in a bit but here's my brain dump after the show:
    • a7riii is very nice. My menu FTW and the buttom customization is even better. AF is pretty awesome. The eye AF is WAY better and works through glasses way better. Batteries lasted on the booth stand from 10am to 3:30pm being on non stop and fondled... Pretty impressive (batter's were dying at 3:30pm). Very nice camera. PITA grabbing someone else's camera though that's NOT set up "your way" and having to find settings in the new menu that I have on my Fn screen...
    • sony 24-105 is a very nice lens. Weight is between the 24-70 2.8 GM and 24-70 f/4 zeiss. Has the better/cleaner sunstars from a 9 bladed aperture.http://camerasize.com/compact/#624.3...1,624.515,wd,t
    • Fuji GFX is massive in your hands as is the 23mm prime. It also took a good 10 minutes with one of their techs to get one of my cards to format and work in it... Had to reset the image counter to make it work. Will have comparison images of it -vs- my a7rii once I get to the images. The 23mm is no where near as wide as they're saying? I had to zoom my 12-24mm in closer than 18mm to get the same FOV. They say it's the same FOV as 17mm on FF. Fuji's dual plane tilt screen is amazing though, I really wish I could have that.
    • sigma's 100-400 hunts and is slow to AF on my a7rii. Bad. This is EF mount with their MC-11 adapter. It's better on the a6300 but still not great/fast. The a7riii is a step faster than the a6300 so it might work better there but wasn't impressed. Sigma's 150-600 contemporary is MUCH better than my tamron 150-600 though. It's also faster than their 100-400. IE if I were to get a sigma long lens I'd get their 150-600.
    • sigma's 16mm 1.4 was there. Pricing not available. Might ship november ish but the fact they didn't have pricing or a date suggests not. It's a pretty long lens to be honest and on a crop body it makes it feel longer because the body is so small. They said it'd be close to the 30 1.4 in price they hope but pretty much said it'd be somewhere <$500 which is very nice. Great IQ but couldn't use it on my camera so no samples. Price is nice but the thing for me is it's a bigger lens than the batis 25mm (longer by a lot but slightly narrower, 33% heavier too though?) so in my case I think I'd go with the batis since I get 2 FLs for the price of one? http://camerasize.com/compact/#624.508,656.393,wd,t
    • tamron's 100-400 was there in 99.9% production mode. I got to use it on my camera (with my sigma MC-11 adapter) and it works better than sigma's version interestingly enough... Very impressive. Funny, the guys in the booth didn't have an MC-11 adapter and one of the ladies was a sony shooter so I had three of them around me "helping" me and actually asking to use my camera to also see how it was since they didn't bring their cameras and couldn't have a sigma adapter in their booth if it was theirs...
    • lots of new chinese tripod products that are all super similar (knocks offs with tweaks) with people in their booths that don't speak english?
    • NiSi booth was tiny and basically empty this year (vs 2x the size with a nice display last year).
    • lee had it's nice booth but the guys were sitting there bored to tears with no one stopping and talking to them... (seems like filters aren't interesting anymore, to the saturday crowd at least?).
    • Chris Burkhard was there at the sony booth and fun to listen to.
    • Adam Woodworth and Josh Cripps at the Nikon booth as well.
    • The canon booth had a wall around 2 sides that basically secluded it from everything/everyone else. I didn't even go near their products because of this. Seems odd to go sit in the corner instead of opening the side towards nikon/sony? They did have a nice gallery with great prints again I went through but one had a MASSIVE dust spot.
    • blazing editions (a local RI printer) had an amazing booth and did one of the galleries at the font which was amazing. High quality dye sub prints on aluminum but NOT cheap!
    • atlas bags had a very nice new rear access backpack. Not cheap ($385 I think?) but a very nice implementation of back panel access with space for everything else you'd want.

I'll add more as I remember it!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I hear you do not need filters anymore... you can just "put them in after" lol

-Eric
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

What a great weekend I had a blast for sure even though we never ate carrot cake....

yeah, I'm still bummed about that...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Did you guys check out Olympus booth?

Anything new? I know they just announced (released?) f1.2 Pro lenses, 17 mm and 45 mm.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

Olympus had a booth?

yeah, that's another thing. Pani's booth was tiny. Olys very small. Fuji's was massive in comparison to past years. Basically fuji sony nikon and canon were all the same size I'd guess? And canon was awkwardly placed to be on it's own in a corner (their own walls segregating them from the others). But fuji and sony were making statements for sure.

the 17 and 45 looked sick but they're getting away from small lenses...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    Olympus had a booth?
    So what you are saying is, I should not consider a used E-M1 Mk II ?

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    yeah, that's another thing. Pani's booth was tiny. Olys very small. Fuji's was massive in comparison to past years. Basically fuji sony nikon and canon were all the same size I'd guess? And canon was awkwardly placed to be on it's own in a corner (their own walls segregating them from the others). But fuji and sony were making statements for sure.

the 17 and 45 looked sick but they're getting away from small lenses...
    Yeah. They look kind of large for m43
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

I'm sure they're still selling, they were there, they've just basically said they're not after sony's/fuji's market share and are a smaller market company. As long as they're not spending too much on development they'll stick around. I also think this is why you see them spending money on glass more than bodies and why they're recycling the same sensor year after year.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum