+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Well, I joined an exclusive group today ... and I didn't want to. Need some advice!

Member#

Default  Well, I joined an exclusive group today ... and I didn't want to. Need some advice!  

Well guys, I did it. I'm not proud of myself by any means, and I've spent a lot of time doing my own research since 'the event,' but I'm turning to you guys for advice and possibly a eulogy.

My camera went for a swim.

I was at Sylvan Lake in Custer National Park over the weekend and at some point I decided to be a genius and forgot to make sure my tripod was as stable as she needed to be. I turned around to grab a filter from my bag and I heard someone gasp, turned back around to see my beloved A7R headed for the water. I stepped in, grabbed it out, removed the battery and SD card, made sure the power was off (it was off, it was not on at the time of the swim) and cried (on the inside). I packed up and headed for the nearest WalMart, grabbed me some tupperware and rice and proceeded to let the drying commence.

Here is a list of what got cleaned off in the lake:

A7R
    Sony > Canon EF Adapter (electronic)
    Tamron 19-35 cheap-a$$ lens (thank God)
    Polarizer Filter

The filter took the brunt of it, it got nicked up badly on the outer ring (but it still usable), and the lens is most likely done for, but the camera body didn't even really look wet. I dried it off as best I could and sat it in the car in a cool dry place to continue drying while I headed for some rice.

That happened on Monday, around noon. It's now Thursday morning, it has been in the rice for just under 72 hours. I optimistically inserted the battery and gave it a go. It turned on, asked for me to set the date, I was so happy! As I was setting the date it just turned off. Not officially either, just off. Sensor exposed and all that. I can see a little water spot on the sensor, I'm afraid it didn't dry out well enough since I didn't actually pry the curtain open for a better dry-out maybe?

Not sure what to do next, I'm guessing it'll have to take a trip to Sony for some repairs and at least a good cleaning. What do you guys think?
    -Brian

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Park it next to a dehumidifier as well? If it went INTO the water (you said it looked dry?) you're most likely SOL. But yeah, humidifier after the rice might help. Always a bummer, hopefully it was insured?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Good idea with the dehumidifier. I'm now afraid that since it turned on then off the way it did that I've fried something, but I don't expect to touch it again now for 24 hours at least to try again. Now that the curtain is up and the innards are exposed it may dry out more.

It was submerged for about 15 seconds or less, 6" or less of water. When I say it 'looked dry' what I mean is that the outside of the body was practically dry, of course there were water spots and the sort but after I wiped it down I didn't see water in any of the ports, even the battery compartment appeared dry inside. When I detached the lens there was literally one drop of water on the curtain, and that's it.

I'm holding out hope, it is insured but I'm hopeful that I won't have to go that route. I've got another trip coming up this weekend, fingers crossed.

Also, at least I didn't rent the lens I was thinking of renting. Would have been 100x worse!
    -Brian

yeah, submerged probably means toast. When I drowned my 5Dii it worked fine for a few minutes then went nutz. Did the dry out thing and it then worked again but no AF, no aperture control etc. But I could take pictures. I had my insurance check within 48 hours.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Well, tried again today and seems you hit the nail on the head Ben. It works, sort of. Lots of odd things happening. Guess I'll get on the phone with the insurance company today!
    -Brian

bummer but expected. Hopefully your claim is painless.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Turns out my camera did not make it onto my renters insurance when I moved, so I had to try my luck at having it repaired or sell it for a loss maybe. At this point I had a few options, but to spare the details I narrowed it down to a Sony repair or trying to find a camera shop that could take a look.

For Sony, it was going to be $150 just to take a look and get me an idea of the damage, but the local guy would open it up for me for $50 and let me know. I chose to go cheap, well, because I'm not rich. Long story short when it was all apart the guy saw some corrosion on a few components and one of the filters needed replacing, his estimate was $250 for the estimate + a new filter + cleaning labor.

As he was assembling the camera he cleaned any corrosive areas that he saw and sealed it all back up, and it worked like a charm! For $250 I am now back in business with a fully functioning camera body.

Just thought I would follow up, in case anyone else has a situation like this and was looking for some reference.
    -Brian

Member#

That’s awesome! Hope it stays on the dry side for a while.

get it insured NOW!!!!

and nice work, I would NEVER pay the OEM guys money just to look as they'll always turn down water damage anyway...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

That's good luck right there.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum