+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 44 of 44

Thread: 21 in 24!

  1. #1

    Default  21 in 24!  
      
      

    This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm going to attempt to shoot all 21 of the Rhode Island lighthouses in one day. There's some logistics involved as two of the locations (3 lighthouses) are on islands only accessible via ferries... So it'll take me some time to plan out exactly which way we'll go and where we'll start. I'm thinking it might be an overnight on Block Island so we could start there in the dark/early AM then catch the ferry back. The issue with that is you really need a car there (or bikes or a cab?) and to have a car on the ferry back you need to be to the ferry an hour before...

    it'd also be a lot of fun to make a video of the day too if we get enough of us involved we could all share in the shooting of that?

    So yeah, anyone interested?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.


    • Advertising

      advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.



        
       

  2. #2
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    Awesome. I'm in. Let me know when.

  3. #3
    Pro tehshortbus's Avatar
    Member#
    3670
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northampton, MA

    Default          

    Interested. More so the video side of things than lighthouses.
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

  4. #4
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  5. #5

    Default          

    Yeah, do it and have a couple guys film it and make a short documentary about it. I would love to see something like that.

  6. #6
    Working
    Member#
    4301
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, RI

    Default          

    Great. Sounds interesting, I'm in.

  7. #7
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    Where are the lighthouses on Block?

    Looks like I could really easily take Amtrak to New London and the ferry to Block. This would be fun.
    Last edited by frigidlight; 05-24-2017 at 02:50 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    Where are the lighthouses on Block?
    NVM, found some website that has a map of the lighthouses and cool photos.

    Looks like it's only a 4 mile ride to the North Light but what do you do with the bikes for the rest of the day if you bike?

  9. #9
    Working
    Member#
    4301
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, RI

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    NVM, found some website that has a map of the lighthouses and cool photos.

    Looks like it's only a 4 mile ride to the North Light but what do you do with the bikes for the rest of the day if you bike?
    Or may be we can rent bikes at Block?

  10. #10

    Default          

    what site (one of mine? )?

    I have a few thoughts on this. When I shot them last time (over the course of a week) I took my bike out to block and rode it as ONE day (maybe shot PJ that day too) and I did the same on prudence. But, Block is big and bikes with us the rest of the time is a total PITA. So I was thinking, ferry out WITH A CAR to block the night before. Start shooting at midnight or dawn and hit the two lighthouses (they're opposite ends of the island, rideable but it's a workout to go from the ferry to the south light to the north light then back to the ferry, like 15~20 miles with photo gear and knowing you're in cars the rest of the day with people...). So bring the car out on the ferry so we have total control and don't need cabs. The problem with this is the car has to be back to the ferry 1 hour before it goes. So that's breakfast time but will REQUIRE that we shoot the 2 lights early, and probably at least one around midnight. This will also come down to our definition of 24 hours because if it's just 24 hours and not a calendar day we could start around sunset as well. Renting a moped (each) or hiring a cab is another option but at the hours we'll be doing this it might not be ideal. Realize the north light is also a bit of a long walk on a loose sand beach regardless of how you get there... Mopeds will also be tricky with returning them early in the AM?

    So for me it's either bring a car on the ferry.
    OR rent mopeds for that "night".
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  11. #11
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    The car sounds like by far the easiest way to go? And IMO to me it's literally 24 hours? How would that let us start around sunset, though?

  12. #12
    the anti-surl thechickencow's Avatar
    Member#
    27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR

    Default          

    This sounds pretty cool in concept. I can't wait to see the shots.

  13. #13

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    The car sounds like by far the easiest way to go? And IMO to me it's literally 24 hours? How would that let us start around sunset, though?
    24 hours could be from sunset to sunset -or- one calendar day, IE midnight to midnight. I like midnight to midnight better but the other option would be easier. I also think we could shoot at sunset the night we go out to block and then go back after midnight so we can have those better sunset shots (potentially) but then do the project within midnight to midnight.

    I need to sit down with a map and plan out drive times between lighthouses and check ferry times to make sure this works time wise. The issue is the ferry ride in from block (an hour, plus an hour before to get the car on) and then the ferry ride to and from prudence with the hour you're "stuck" there (we'd walk to that lighthouse, shoot, then walk back). I know a good route to get from one to the next as best as possible AND I've shot EVERY single one already so I know the lay of the land at each one. Some require LONG lenses BTW but sony shooters can borrow/share my 150-600.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  14. #14

    Default          

    Block Island Ferry: https://www.blockislandferry.com/traditional/
    First AM from block to PJ: 8:15am (lands in PJ at 9:15am)
    Last PM ferry from PJ to Block: 8pm (arrives Block 9pm)

    Watch Hill to PJ: 30 minutes
    Plum Light to Watch Hill: 45 minutes
    Plum to wickford: 15 minutes
    wickford to warwick light: 15 minutes
    warwick to conimicut (and nayatt): 35 minutes
    conimicut to pomham: 30 minutes
    pomham to prudence ferry: 30 minutes

    so the prudence ferry makes this tricky. The ferry stays there for 30 minutes in the am, 15 minutes during the day, but 2 hours at noon... It's 1 mile from the ferry to the lighthouse. ONE WAY. So it's 2 miles round trip... so yeah, this will get VERY tricky, I need to see if I can find a tele option with the 150-600 and skip that ferry?
    https://www.prudencebayislandstransp...hedules-rates/

    I need to fill the rest of these in:
    prudence to MT hope bridge
    mt hope bridge to hog island
    hog to sakonnet
    sakonnet to castle hill
    castle hill to goat (and shoot rose): 15 minutes
    rose to north jamestown: 15 minutes
    north jamestown to dutch: 15 minutes
    dutch to beavertail: 5 minutes

    The other issue we have here is we want some good shots here, yes they'll be broad daylight, but I still want some time to shoot. Say 15 minutes at each location? That's about 4 hours to add in to the driving, if not more. So yeah, it's a challenge to get all 21 in 24 hours, we'll probably be shooting the last few in the dark! That's why I want to start at block so we don't have a ferry to catch at the end of the day.

    here's my BJP page for lighthouses: http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/portfolio/lighthouses/
    here's my dedicated site: http://lighthousesofri.com/
    my google map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...9&source=embed
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  15. #15

    Default          

    ok, so rethinking prudence... It's 1.3 miles from it's closest point on shore. I've shot the dutch island light from ~3 different locations just to change backgrounds, one was 1.2 miles and here's that shot for reference:


    thats @ 300mm on a cropper so ~450 on full frame equivalent... I think with the logistics that's going to have to be good enough for prudence? And remember I have a 150-600mm lens that's FE mount (sony) that we can share as well as a 70-300 so if you put the long lens on a cropper it'll have some nice reach (twice what I shot the above shot with). The bigger issue is the background because from where we'll be shooting there's the island and houses behind the light... I'll go out and scout out some other options for it for sure but I think the ferry logistics make it very hard to consider the ferry in a day when we're shooting all the other lights (unless we stayed there overnight).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  16. #16

    Default          

    ok, this is the tentative route w/o ferrying to prudence:

    PJ to Watch Hill: 30 minutes
    Watch Hill to Plum light: 45 minutes
    Plum to Wickford: 15 minutes
    Wickford to Warwick light: 15 minutes
    Warwick to conimicut (and nayatt): 35 minutes
    conimicut to pomham: 30 minutes
    pomham to mount hope bridge: 35 minutes
    MT Hope bridge to hog island: 10 minutes
    hog to prudence:15 minutes
    hog to Sakonnet 35 minutes
    Sakonnet to castle hill: 1 hour
    castle hill to goat (and shoot rose): 15 minutes
    rose to North Jamestown: 15 minutes
    north Jamestown to Dutch: 15 minutes
    dutch to Beavertail: 5 minutes


    6:15 drive time alone!
    if we assume 15 minutes per location to shoot that's 4 more hours of shooting.
    so 10~11 hours AFTER we get off the Block Island Ferry at 9am so we'd be done right around 7~8pm. Totally possible with plenty of time to go later if we have to (just shooting after dark). It'll be a busy day with lots of driving but totally possible. The biggest thing will be that we HAVE to keep our time at each location as short as possible including any walking in/out to where we shoot from the car. I know 15 minutes is too short for some. If we bump half of these to ~30 minutes it adds another 2 hours to the mix which puts us finished at 9~10pm which still works but will mean we'll be more tired and shooting in the dark more (which will take longer).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  17. #17
    tbert is as tbert does tbert's Avatar
    Member#
    25
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bisquey Rusiness

    Default          

    I'm exhausted just reading that.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

  18. #18
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  19. #19
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by tbert View Post
    I'm exhausted just reading that.
    You spelled fun wrong! Except I'll inevitably forget my camera or all my batteries or something like that.

  20. #20
    tbert is as tbert does tbert's Avatar
    Member#
    25
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bisquey Rusiness

    Default          

    Just remember your shorts.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

  21. #21
    the anti-surl thechickencow's Avatar
    Member#
    27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR

    Default          

    Will this be a summer thing or a winter thing? Almost it seems like winter is better for more of the day being dark?

  22. #22
    Working
    Member#
    4301
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, RI

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    ok, so rethinking prudence... It's 1.3 miles from it's closest point on shore. I've shot the dutch island light from ~3 different locations just to change backgrounds, one was 1.2 miles and here's that shot for reference:


    thats @ 300mm on a cropper so ~450 on full frame equivalent... I think with the logistics that's going to have to be good enough for prudence? And remember I have a 150-600mm lens that's FE mount (sony) that we can share as well as a 70-300 so if you put the long lens on a cropper it'll have some nice reach (twice what I shot the above shot with). The bigger issue is the background because from where we'll be shooting there's the island and houses behind the light... I'll go out and scout out some other options for it for sure but I think the ferry logistics make it very hard to consider the ferry in a day when we're shooting all the other lights (unless we stayed there overnight).
    I've 100-400mm and a 1.4 extender if that helps.

    Also can we shoot with a mavic

  23. #23

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
    Will this be a summer thing or a winter thing? Almost it seems like winter is better for more of the day being dark?

    summer. I'd rather shoot with a 10 stop than run out of light. Although parking would be MUCH easier in winter and we wouldn't need a hotel or ferry reservation.

    Quote Originally Posted by gks View Post
    I've 100-400mm and a 1.4 extender if that helps.

    Also can we shoot with a mavic
    thinking I'll skip the drone for the fact that it'd take too long at each place slowing us down? Unless you wanted to do JUST drone and do it at EVERY lighthouse?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  24. #24
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    Bump bump! Ben, any thoughts on this? Anything I can do to help plan?

  25. #25

    Default          

    It'll happen, I'm just waiting to wrap up Iceland (we leave tomorrow) and get back and nail down a date for this. Not sure if I'll go August or Sept? Sept might make things cheaper/easier but I'll have to check ferry schedules to make sure they're still running early on weekends.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  26. #26
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    Have fun in Iceland!

    September is better for me no doubt. My August is very, very busy.

  27. #27

    Default          

    roger that.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  28. #28
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    I checked the ferry schedules and it looks like the morning ferries between BI and PJ leave at the same time (by 15 minutes or so) in August or September. That's the one we care about, right?

  29. #29
    Pro tehshortbus's Avatar
    Member#
    3670
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northampton, MA

    Default          

    dates and times matter for me, later into the fall is better for me.
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

  30. #30

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    I checked the ferry schedules and it looks like the morning ferries between BI and PJ leave at the same time (by 15 minutes or so) in August or September. That's the one we care about, right?
    yep. We'll go out Friday night in theory and come back Saturday AM on the first ferry.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  31. #31
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    Bump bump!

    Ben, anything I can do to help plan? My September is starting to fill with work travel.

  32. #32

    Default          

    Nothing yet but I need to also sit down with my calendar and pick a date and get a ferry/hotel reservation.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  33. #33
    Working
    Member#
    4301
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, RI

    Default          

    Ben any final dates you guys are planning for?

  34. #34

    Default          

    We're actually going this weekend! I've been meaning to bump the thread. My car is full, we have me, Simms, Howland and Eric in my car friday night out to block. Stay overnight at 1661 then ferry back to "the mainland" saturday AM. We'll shoot the two block lights at sunrise then go:

    Block, North
    Block, south
    Point Judith
    Watch Hill
    Dutch Island (from URI bay campus), .892 miles
    Plum Island from Plum Beach .607
    Jamestown North Light (from Jamestown, while daylight)
    Poplar Point Wickford from NK .765
    ...JTN North Light from NK 2.44 (!!!)
    Warwick Light from Sandy Beach Potowomut 1.6
    ...Warwick light from Warwick?
    Conimicut .638
    Nayatt 1.09
    Pomham
    Bristol Light
    ...Sakonnet
    Hog Light .678
    Prudence from Carnegie Abbey 1.69
    ... Prudence from NEB 1.31
    Sakonnet!? .468
    Castle Hill
    Ida Lewis from fort adams .444
    Rose Island Light from ft adams .996
    Goat from the causeway
    ... goat from pineapples?
    ... rose from pineapples?
    ... Dutch Island from Ft Getty? .368
    BEAVERTAIL!!!!

    The #s after are the distances to each light in MILES! Anything with a ... before it is an optional time to go to a light that's not the primary option... Some of the order will come down to what time we're getting to places as certain lights NEED to be done before dark where others could really be after sunset/dark due to where they are. I know November is less than ideal for this due to the early sunset but I didn't want to put this off to 2018, I figured this could be a fun first attempt and we can always go again next year if this is fun enough to repeat?

    Sunrise is 6:38
    Sunset is 4:23

    High Tides: 7:26am 7:45pm
    Low Tide: 1:03pm
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  35. #35

    Default          

    just to show a visual for those distances:
    Dutch Island from Ft Getty? .368
    Ida Lewis from fort adams .444
    Sakonnet!? .468
    Plum Island from Plum Beach .607
    Conimicut .638
    Hog Light .678
    Poplar Point Wickford from NK .765
    Dutch Island (from URI bay campus), .892 miles
    Rose Island Light from ft adams .996
    Nayatt 1.09
    Prudence from NEB 1.31
    Warwick Light from Sandy Beach Potowomut 1.6
    Prudence from Carnegie Abbey 1.69
    JTN North Light from NK 2.44 (!!!)



    300mm effective, .638 miles


    271mm effective, .892


    600mm effective, .678


    300mm effective, 1.09


    600mm effective, .607


    300mm effective, ~1 miles (we will be closer this weekend)


    600mm effective, .468


    600mm effective, 1.6



    so a few things. Of the guys in my car we ALL shoot sony and I have my 150-600mm. So we all have access to a 900mm effective lens... That should make the long range issues much less of a problem. Yes we will all end up with very similar shots considering we can't move enough to change the FOV but at least we can get something. I'll also have the drone and if the weather is nice we'll fly it for some of the longer range lighthouses if it'll behave signal wise...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  36. #36

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    You spelled fun wrong! Except I'll inevitably forget my camera or all my batteries or something like that.
    famouse quote of the last few weeks... YOU ALREADY FORGOT IT, but since it was in my car there's a much better chance it'll make the trip!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  37. #37
    Pro tehshortbus's Avatar
    Member#
    3670
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northampton, MA

    Default          

    so many light houses.
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

  38. #38
    tbert is as tbert does tbert's Avatar
    Member#
    25
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bisquey Rusiness

    Default          

    Good luck.. I know Saturday is gonna suck around here with rain all day. Hope you guys get some good weather. I like lighthouses, and if you guys to put together a calendar or something for next year, let me know.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

  39. #39
    Working
    Member#
    4301
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, RI

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    We're actually going this weekend! I've been meaning to bump the thread. My car is full, we have me, Simms, Howland and Eric in my car friday night out to block. Stay overnight at 1661 then ferry back to "the mainland" saturday AM. We'll shoot the two block lights at sunrise then go:

    Block, North
    Block, south
    Point Judith
    Watch Hill
    Dutch Island (from URI bay campus), .892 miles
    Plum Island from Plum Beach .607
    Jamestown North Light (from Jamestown, while daylight)
    Poplar Point Wickford from NK .765
    ...JTN North Light from NK 2.44 (!!!)
    Warwick Light from Sandy Beach Potowomut 1.6
    ...Warwick light from Warwick?
    Conimicut .638
    Nayatt 1.09
    Pomham
    Bristol Light
    ...Sakonnet
    Hog Light .678
    Prudence from Carnegie Abbey 1.69
    ... Prudence from NEB 1.31
    Sakonnet!? .468
    Castle Hill
    Ida Lewis from fort adams .444
    Rose Island Light from ft adams .996
    Goat from the causeway
    ... goat from pineapples?
    ... rose from pineapples?
    ... Dutch Island from Ft Getty? .368
    BEAVERTAIL!!!!

    The #s after are the distances to each light in MILES! Anything with a ... before it is an optional time to go to a light that's not the primary option... Some of the order will come down to what time we're getting to places as certain lights NEED to be done before dark where others could really be after sunset/dark due to where they are. I know November is less than ideal for this due to the early sunset but I didn't want to put this off to 2018, I figured this could be a fun first attempt and we can always go again next year if this is fun enough to repeat?

    Sunrise is 6:38
    Sunset is 4:23

    High Tides: 7:26am 7:45pm
    Low Tide: 1:03pm
    Damn.... let me check if I can still plan or I'll have to do it next time

  40. #40

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by tbert View Post
    Good luck.. I know Saturday is gonna suck around here with rain all day. Hope you guys get some good weather. I like lighthouses, and if you guys to put together a calendar or something for next year, let me know.
    yeah, it's set to start raining here in the afternoon...
    "light rain" after 2pm
    "rain" after 6pm ish.

    It is what it is. I had to make ferry reservations and few weeks ago after we all realized the weekend would work while at expo. As I always say, 100% change of a long car ride and good time with a 25% chance of some good photos. We'll get some good shots, I just hope we don't get SOAKED in the process!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  41. #41
    Moderator frigidlight's Avatar
    Member#
    1036
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    famouse quote of the last few weeks... YOU ALREADY FORGOT IT, but since it was in my car there's a much better chance it'll make the trip!
    Is it too late to claim I did that on purpose so I wouldn't forget at least one of my cameras?

    Any chance you can stick the battery that's in that camera on a charger before Friday?

  42. #42

    Default          

    charging now. Also, FYI this has a ton of UT pics on it so plan accordingly for space for this weekend?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  43. #43

    Default          

    Man this looks like a good time. Good luck, I wish I could fit it in to my schedule. I can't wait to see the results!

  44. #44
    Pro tehshortbus's Avatar
    Member#
    3670
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northampton, MA

    Default          

    I’ll write more later but thanks Ben for putting this idea together! Had a great time!!


    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts