+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Camera-Specific Outdoor Packs Suck, Here’s What I Use Instead" - Petapixel Article

Member#

Default  "Camera-Specific Outdoor Packs Suck, Here’s What I Use Instead" - Petapixel Article  

Stirring the fire here a bit as I just hiked 12 miles up a mountain with my Peak Design pack.

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/30/cam...s-use-instead/

A few salient quotes and my thoughts - curious for what others think.

The “waist belt”—a piece of bare 2-inch nylon webbing with a buckle—does more harm than good, and executes exactly zero of the functions that a waist belt is supposed to offer.
    This. So much of this. Slick as Peak Design's waist belt is, it sucked. Did **** all while hiking and now it bothers me as it's an extra dangly thing if it comes out of the hide-away.

They’re also typically not very good at carrying things other than cameras.
    I don't know if I agree with this - the Peak bag is great at this and makes camera access dead simple all the while.

For the most part, hiking packs are one big, open compartment with absolutely no padding, and dumping a bunch of loose camera gear inside to let it bounce around like it’s inside a rock tumbler won’t work. So I got a camera insert/organizer, the Tenba BYOB 13, which slides inside...I thought having to remove the insert was going to be a pain but in reality, it worked fine as I either have the camera away and am focused on hiking, or it’s on a strap at my side and the rest of the gear is stowed away.
    This I disagree with. The side access of the Peak bag is ****ing awesome and I used it all the time. I kept my A6000 on a shoulder strap with a Peak capture clip (this works with "outdoor" packs as well, of course) but having access to my A7R without taking the bag off or futzing with sliding waist straps around was awesome.

I've never tried an F-Stop Bag or anything that claims to do both but I've heard from others that they have all the same problems as putting the insert into a regular pack.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

the f-stop (and lowepro whistler which is basically an f-stop knock off w/o different size ICU options) are different because you have good/quick access, protection and good straps. The down side is the majority of the bag is taken up by the ICU giving you not much room for other stuff. But you can take the ICU out and just put things in that back panel access area and pad them as needed (camera can go in smaller bags or wrapped in clothes).

His solution is total bull**** because his access to his kit is impossible in a hurry. I've found if I can't access my kit quickly I won't use it. A peak capture solves this. I also use a TTP pouch on the hip belt which can hold either the camera (a6300) and lens or 2 more lenses which is nice.

anything with just webbing hip straps sucks though.

The mindshift backlight 26l is also VERY nice and holds a TON of ****. It fits INSIDE my whisleter 450 but because TTP/mindshift use thinner padding it holds MORE. I went with the lowepro because it's got better materials, holds skis (but trades this for water bottle pockets on the sides) and a better harness. I've modded my insert to remove the hard plastic and some foam to get more room but it's still short of the mindshift. I've honestly thought of getting a mindshift and stripping everything off it to make it the insert but it'd be an expensive insert...

also, Chris Burkard is a huge supporter of using inserts in normal backpacks and fanny packs. I tried to make it work but for me the TTP change up is a much better fanny/hip bag for me and I prefer my backpacks with dedicated inserts. He of course has since partnered with mountainsmith and has his own bags...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

If I am going backpacking as my activity I will use a BACKPACKING bag (osprey- nothing beats them for comfort and fit) and fit my camera within that after my camping gear is accounted for.

If I'm going out to shoot for the day then I have my incase Action Camera Pro bag which I have come to really love alot. I should pick up a Peak Design Capture for the shoulder strap to make it easier to hike with my camera ready just haven't yet.

If I'm out wandering a city I have my acme shoulder bag, but depending where I might rather my Incase due to the security of it (can't get into the bag when its on my back)

-Eric
    Last edited by tehshortbus; 04-05-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Eric, FYI on the capture, be careful setting a bag down with the camera on a capture on the strap. You just have to make sure the camera doesn't crash into something when you set it down. I'm not saying don't get a capture, I have and love mine, just heads up.

oh, and another option I'm leaning more and more towards for hiking and carry is a TTP belt bag on the hip belt of my pack. I have one my a6300 w/10-18 fits perfectly WITH another (smaller) lens. I have more options belt bag wise I can add (including a water bottle one). This wraps the camera in something so it's not naked and hitting rocks when you set it down but still gives you access a velcro flap away. I've actually been using this on a spider/black widow velcro belt when I ski now as well (lift access) as it's small enough to fit UNDER my coat as needed but still have quick access. I've tried the Cosyspeed Camslinger but it's "button" or whatever you call the metal bit is impossible to use with ski gloves on and it doesn't really work w/just the bungee (liked I'd hoped). The TTP change up is a great bigger option. I've skied with it with my drone if I need that much space. I used to ski in a burton coat with MASSIVE cargo top pockets which worked too but my coat for this year the pockets are terrible for cameras getting in and out w/o losing lens caps etc.

Second, I agree on the specific bag for a specific purpose. This is part of the reason I own so many bags. Camping, take a camping backpack. Photo, take a photo backpack. The hardest one for me is backcountry skiing. You're not taking overnight camping **** but you need to be able to carry a LOT of weight in a specific way that works. Ski bags suck for photo gear, but this is where f-stop and the lowepro whistler have won me over. They carry photo gear AND skis really well.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Ben, link to that bag/pouch?

I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Thanks. I'm really curious. I'd dig a way to store another lens for use on my A6000 without opening the backpack or store my A6000 in a way that is less prone to a face to face meeting with a rock but I've never been a fan of things hanging off my packs and I wonder if this would bother me?

well, for those reasons I much prefer it to a capture. Another choice is a chest mount back but then you have two harness systems that fight.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Would this fit a A6000 with a 18-105mm attached? maybe with an 10-18mm below it? (thinking for a small padded system for the motorcycle)
    ericgove.com | Flickr

It fits my a6300 with the bottom bracket and either the 10-18mm on it or the 8mm on it and then the other one in the bag next to it. The 18-105 isn't small so I'm not sure. Is it similar in size to my 24-70 or 16-35? I could test those if it'd help.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

It's prob closer to the 24-70mm

Thanks man
    ericgove.com | Flickr

ok, 16-35 is bigger than the 24-70 and closer. It fits (on my a6300). But it needs to be lens down and it'd be tight to fit another lens in there. I actually put my camera in grip "down" and lens across the top and that gives me more space for the second lens.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    ok, 16-35 is bigger than the 24-70 and closer. It fits (on my a6300). But it needs to be lens down and it'd be tight to fit another lens in there. I actually put my camera in grip "down" and lens across the top and that gives me more space for the second lens.
    thanks man! Great to know!
    ericgove.com | Flickr

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum