+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sony 70-300 FE

Member#

Default  Sony 70-300 FE  

I'm looking to get a telephoto lens and I'm eyeing this one. Ben, I know you shot with this in Iceland. Thoughts?

Anyone else used it at all?

My current setup:
    • Sony 10-18mm E
    • Sigma 24-70mm
    • Nikon 70-300mm

The Nikon 70-300, although a good range given my other lenses, just doesn't have the image quality to work well on my A7R and it's pretty big and bulky on my A6000. It seems like the Sony version would be a good replacement at the same focal length.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Sony version is one of the best 70-300s I've ever used. Canon's L version might beat it but not 100% sure (I'd have to shoot them side by side). The only complaint I have is the lack of a tripod collar but I use a nodal slide to help with that when needed (and I remember the slide). It's not small though, it'll be the same size as the nikon you're asking about (ignoring the adapter). I'll have it with me when we shoot thanksgiving so make sure you check it out then.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Cool. What bugged me about the size was the length and sag because of the adapter, so I hope a native lens will be better. Plus aperture control will be nice.

I'll show you the nodal slide trick, it helps a ton as well.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Amazon is having a 15% sale on a TON of Sony stuff if you have their store card. They're also doing 0% financing for 12 months. Is the 70-300 included? Of course not!

yeah, I saw that "sale" and it has me considering a a7ii as a backup...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum