+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gimbal for iphone and gopro: Anyone use any?

Member#

Default  gimbal for iphone and gopro: Anyone use any?  

I'm in need of a gimbal for a small video I'll be making, anyone have one that is decent but won't break the bank? Osmo mobile? Amazon knockoff?

-Eric
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

no, but I'm curious as well. There are a few for mirrorless bodies I've seen on instagram but there's a comma in their price.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    no, but I'm curious as well. There are a few for mirrorless bodies I've seen on instagram but there's a comma in their price.
    yea this is why i'm looking at mobile and gopro versions. For what I want to shoot iphone and gopro shoot HD so I'm happy. I do not need the 4k, etc.
    ericgove.com | Flickr

4k is a massive PITA for editing and storing and uploading but unfortunately it's the future... I'm working on starting some new ideas and 4k -vs- 1080 is a big consideration. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go 1080 to start so it's easier and I'll get into the flow. Then once I have cameras and audio and editing nailed down, then I'll go 4k if I see it's needed? I know in the vlogging scene it's a thing where some deal with it and some don't and it's not a big deal if you don't but there are people who LOVE 4k vlogs.

I'm also looking for a POV stabilized option but for me my phone is NEVER an option. Don't want to deal with filling it with videos and then transferring even though it does a great job recording, has TWO cameras/lenses, AND external cards but still not worth it for me. I'm leaning towards and osmo type setup I think? Or maybe one that'll stabilize an a6000 type setup? Not sure if they're less expensive since they're bigger but w/o a camera?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

I've got an Osmo mobile right now. I'm enjoying it but I really need more time with it to figure out if it is the right fit for me.

that's the one that uses your cell phone as the camera right, but is cheaper? I'm torn because I don't love the idea of having all this footage recorded on my cell. But you're using the cell as a screen anyway so how much effort does it save -vs- cost. I'm trying to sort out (see my thread on video ideas) what I need to be recording first, then I'll re-asses the need for a gimbal like this. I might either just go casey neistat style or skip the talking head routine all together.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

it is the one that uses your phone as the camera.. I like the idea of it but with my current internet situation a lot of my fee space on my phone is occupied by music and other stuff that i can't stream at home. So a 10 min video takes up a lot of my free space.

should i have gone with the regular Osmo? Probably, but that is another $200 to spend and you still pretty much need your phone to control it.

Member#

We are looking at the osmo for Facebook live interviews at the events we cover. How do you like it for stability and video quality?

Member#

I don't have the regular Osmo. I have the mobile version which uses your phone's camera.

I like the tracking mode so you can move around and it follows you. It's fairly stable if you pay attention to what you are doing.

Member#

so a quick little thing for my kids preschool...
    this was my first time really out with the osmo mobile. It did OK but i really wasn't concentrating on doing a good job so it was able to compensate for that somewhat. I suppose i should really take it out focusing on some ninja walking and not having kids jumping all over me.

http://youtu.be/zOIk0CL_7CE

Member#

Default  Gimbal for GoPro/A6000        

I want to do some more video shooting on my trips and I'm looking at getting a gimbal to stabilize either my GoPro or my A6000. It seems to be a giant jump to stabilize a GoPro vs an A6000, though, which I suppose makes sense.

The GoPro Karma gimbal seems to be unreasonably expensive compared to the competition? $299 vs something like this? or $299 for the DJI OSMO mobile that uses my phone?

Does anyone have any experience with gimbals? Part of what is inspiring this is the rainstorm I shot through on the Manhattan Bridge the other night. I would have loved to have made a brief video to highlight the completely awful weather but couldn't use my phone or A6000 due to just how hard it was raining. It would have been perfect for a GoPro.
    Last edited by frigidlight; 04-30-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Member#

I never ended up getting one for either, I just didn't have the time or need for one right now. I'm looking at a fluid head for some video work before a gimbal.

-Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

so my thought is go do it w/o the gimbal for a bit, do as best as you can hand held, and see if you really need it. I say this as a gopro/a6300/phone yadda yadda owner. I've been looking at the osmo myself but also don't love the fact it uses your phone (you don't NEED the phone if you want to record blind I think). It seems like a slick vlogging setup but my a6300 also works really well and I already own it (and it does timelapse and 120fps native as well).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I'm pretty sure I don't want the Osmo or Osmo mobile. I want something that will work in all weather (i.e. not use my phone) and I don't want to buy another camera when I have a GoPro/will be buying a new GoPro already. So that leaves the Karma which actually seems to be a decently priced/specced gimbal for the money?

After doing a 1 second everyday project each day this year I'm 99% I'll need a gimbal if I want to do any sort of recording with movement in it. I'm no owl or chicken...

I also just found this which is waterproof and seems to be simpler than the Karma? No duplication of the controls that exist on the gopro, removable batteries, etc: https://www.slick.video/products/slick
    Last edited by frigidlight; 05-02-2017 at 12:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum