+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filter holders....

Default  Filter holders....  

I've been searching for the perfect filter holder for a while now and no one has made it... They all have options/issues. What I'm after is a setup where there's a ring on each lens I own. These rings are a PITA to thread on in good weather and a total PITA when things are wet or you're wearing gloves. I've been using filters for over 10 years now so I know a LOT of issues with these things and have walk arounds for some/most. I want a CP (circular polarizer) that's easy to use and two more slots. I know some setups offer CP +3 but for me I need a CP and either 2 GNDs (that usually mean's I'm trying to save a crappy DR/sunrise) or CP & GND & ND for a slow shutter...

Here's the current options:
    Lee:
    • +easy ring setup for each lens
    • +Panel CP NEVER vignettes, not at 16mm on full frame, not at 10mm on crop, not at 12-16mm on FF...
    • +has 3 total slots, CP uses one with the panel CP or not with 105mm CP, but this is what I need
    • + the filter guy rings are $20 each on amazon.
    • -105mm CP vignettes at wider angles + 105mm CP allows GND to be used at independent angle
    • -panel CP angle stuck at same angle as GNDs, must pick ONE angle
    • Panel CP is glass and slides out of holder (I've modified my inner slot but this means GNDs can't use that slot). When using it with the 10 stopper the 10 goes closest to camera so the foam seal work but this leaves the glass CP wanting to slide out...

NiSi:
    • +geared CP allows you to rotate the CP independently from the GNDs while also NOT vignetting to wide angles on FF!!!
    • has THREE slots as well as the CP
    • +CP is included with holder for $150 total (the lee CPs are more than this alone).
    • - the ring is only available in 82mm, you use step down rings for all other sizes.
    • -the CP is very hard to unthread from the holder ring (it's super skinny)
    • -you're stuck either buying a $150 holder and CP and ring setup for EACH LENS (this would give you spares though!) or threading and unthreading your one ring from lenses to lens each time you want to switch.
    • - the CP is NOT easy to remove in a hurry for those times when you don't want a CP (I use one 100% of the time for scapes but practically never otherwise).

Wine Country:
    • new guys on the block, not shipping yet.
    • + super sexy looking.
    • +rings for each lens are just rings
    • +CP threads into holder but rotates similar to the NiSi. Independent rotation from the GNDs!
    • +3 slots for GNDs and NDs beyond the CP!
    • -about the only negative for the Wine Country holder is the fact it vignettes at 16mm but not 17mm (according to them)...

I've spoken with the wine country guys and they know the vignetting is a PITA/Issue. I'll be getting one "soon" and I'm curious what's causing it and if there's a fix that's tolerable. I really want a setup like theirs but w/o vignette. Their "cages" for the filters are unnecessary but nice (and would protect a filter if dropped, something I've done). The fact they've blocked all the light is also great because I'm constantly fighting the lens text reflections with both of my current holders... I've taped over the text on my lenses but 1) it shouldn't be there and 2) blocking all light getting between filters and the lens fixes this...

So yeah, this leaves me with the wine country as the best option but they need to sort out the vignette. I'm hoping going to 2 slots fixes it but I'd bet they'd say as much if that was possible? They say it's because their CP is super high quality which makes it thicker than the NiSi and there's just not enough room. For me Lee is second in this because it's easy to use. I use the panel CP and just rotate it with my GNDs and it's not always ideal but it's close. I refuse to use the 105 and deal with vignetting (it's bad). The NiSi would be a perfect setup for me if the CP was mounted to the HOLDER not the RING AND if they had rings in the correct sizes for each lens. Right now I'd have to buy THREE holders/rings (which all come with a CP) for $150 each to cover my three lenses w/o swapping rings around all the damn time. It should be three rings, one holder, one CP and the CP should live in the holder but still rotate....

Maybe I should sit down with a designer and make my perfect setup? I'm half thinking I might be able to get this going with the wine country guys once I see what's up with their first version...

This post came up because Eric was asking me about holders. I own the NiSi and Lee right now and will be getting the wine country before the end of the year. I'll post a video review/comparison of all three once I have the WC. All the other options out there (hitech etc) aren't as good as the Lee so I don't bother mentioning them. They all have worse problems and or cost more.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

so, an update post expo... I want a magnetic attachment for my cp. I spent an hour yesterday playing with bits I have here. Between a filter dude 72mm Lee adapter (for my 16-35) and it's 77mm filter ring, my 67mm adapter (for my 24-70) and it's 72mm threads, some Xume magnetic adapters and my old 77mm CP I've got a plan I'm going to play around with. If you dismantle the CP so it's just a glass disk it pretty much fits inside a Xume adapter of the same size. I also have some super strong magnets for the fridge that cling to the Xume filter ring really well. So, basically, I ordered an 82mm CP and an 82mm Xume filter ring (the cheap side). I'm going to drill some holes in one of my lee adapter rings and glue the magnets in the holes. I'm then going to dismantle an 82mm CP and glue the filter/glass into an 82mm Xume ring. In theory it should give me an easy to rotate and or remove CP for my lee setup with ZERO vignette and the ability to rotate independently from the GNDs... If it works I'll modify all my adapter rings. I might try to use a xume inner ring vs holes and a glued magnet but it'll most likely have to be glued to the ring because you can't use a step up ring AND a XUME setup w/o either getting a vignette or also taking up a TON of space leaving no room for panel CPs. If I could get a filter dude ring with 82mm threads that might work (the 77mm cp vignettes just threaded into the ring so any Xume or step rings just make it worse).

So yeah, geeking out a bit and working on a custom DIY option...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

So basically you are making your own CPL to put on the lens then lee setup on top of that?

Camera- CPL - lee setup
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

nope. My own magnetic CP that goes on the lee adapter ring on the holder side. But round so I can rotate it and thin enough it just replaced my panel CP in the near slot. Hopefully that's cleared. This was I can remove it quickly if needed (swap in the 10 stop or just don't want the CP), rotate it independently from the GNDs and then also no vignette. It solves all three of the issues in ONE option if it works...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    nope. My own magnetic CP that goes on the lee adapter ring on the holder side. But round so I can rotate it and thin enough it just replaced my panel CP in the near slot. Hopefully that's cleared. This was I can remove it quickly if needed (swap in the 10 stop or just don't want the CP), rotate it independently from the GNDs and then also no vignette. It solves all three of the issues in ONE option if it works...
    If it works I'm coming out with beer, or something to have you help me make mine.

-Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

sounds like a plan. The 82mm polarizer showed up yesterday but I'm waiting on a 77mm adapter ring (because it has 82mm threads) as well as an 82mm xume setup (backordered on amazon). Once it's all here I should be able to see if using my current 72mm with it's 77mm filter threads will work with an 82mm somehow (make it magnetic) or if I can step the 72mm lens to the 77mm ring and get the 82mm polarizer working there or if I need a machine shop to help... I'm thinking/hoping a 72mm adapter (or really all the sizes I need, 72, 67, 62) can be used with an 82mm CP with the 82mm Xume adapter. So It'll cost me having each adapter ring machined but that shouldn't cost all that much...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ok, so here's the bitch of it all... Cokin's X-pro holder has what I want. X-pro is the next size up and is massive and the CP alone is like $400... but it's got me thinking of getting something made. Hell, this might make a 3D printer a wide investment... I should really wait out wine country camera's holder and see if it just works. But I'm thinking there's a market here for a NOT stupidly expensive or complicated GND holder that has inexpensive rings and a smart CP solution... Basically, use the existing Lee rings, especially with the filter dude's $20 knock offs. Then make a better lee holder with a CP solution built/designed into it and sell just the older and CP...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    sounds like a plan. The 82mm polarizer showed up yesterday but I'm waiting on a 77mm adapter ring (because it has 82mm threads) as well as an 82mm xume setup (backordered on amazon). Once it's all here I should be able to see if using my current 72mm with it's 77mm filter threads will work with an 82mm somehow (make it magnetic) or if I can step the 72mm lens to the 77mm ring and get the 82mm polarizer working there or if I need a machine shop to help... I'm thinking/hoping a 72mm adapter (or really all the sizes I need, 72, 67, 62) can be used with an 82mm CP with the 82mm Xume adapter. So It'll cost me having each adapter ring machined but that shouldn't cost all that much...
    Still trying to picture what you are trying to make, sounds right but can't picture it.
    ericgove.com | Flickr

aaaand I just found an xpro holder and xpro 62mm ring on ebay for $1. So for $11 total I have both on their way to me...
    Obviously I might need more rings but it's more to revisit how the holder is made and play with scaling it down to the normal 4" filter size.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

so firecrest has a new version (they're formatt hitech) that's basically the NISI but with some neat light blocking features:
    http://www.formatt-hitech.com/hardware/firecrestholder

same issue with step rings and the CP being threaded onto the ring though. But I think they at least sell extra rings w/o needing to buy the CP again.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Hey Ben, did you ever sort anything out with this and get what you were looking for? You say you want to sit down with a designer and design something, I'm up to the challenge because I feel there is potential in what you are after, and I have the 3D print capabilities to proof out whatever we come up with!

We can discuss if you want, let me know!
    -Brian

yeah, I have started modding my holder and some slides to do a proof of concept (that's working really well). I just need to fine tune some stuff. Hit me up on FB and we can toss some ideas around.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ZOMG I JUST FOUND ONE THAT WORKS!!!!

Trying to see if I can get one/buy one and get it in the US. They're not sold here that I can find.

http://athabasca-foto.com/product/2325/

(skip to 2:52 for the important part)

the keys here:
    • it has it's own dedicated adapter rings (not one ring and step down rings like NiSi)
    • the CP can be removed WITHOUT unthreading it!!! The unthreading referenced above is if you want to SWAP the CP for their ND that also fits!!!
    • normal size holder and rings (the wine country camera option that I have solves all of the above but is massive).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

oh, and how did I find it you ask? I'm considering a WCL-x70 (wide conversion lens for the x70) and was looking at the #wclx70 on instagram. A photo with that tag had a tag for this holder!!!
    Now I just hope I can get one before Iceland!!!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

here are links to 4 others I've been looking at only to see if I could adapt them to my needs better:
    (the one above should work, but I've had these tabs open for a while now, figured I'd put everything in one place)
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_filter.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_holder.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_holder.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_with_77.html
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

I have a tracking number and DHL texted me this am saying it'll be here Friday!

I also found this:
    http://amzn.to/2spFVpS

they've copied the cokin X pro (the massive one) holder and made it z-pro sized which is what I was after. I need those 2 tabs top and bottom to allow a CP to slide in and snap in. It'll be here today. So hopefully between the 2 holders I've got what I "need"/want and I can be done with this. This is something I've been working on and it's been bugging me for the better part of two years, especially when people like the NiSi guys argue in their booth that their setup is perfect and I'm the issue (then drop their CP showing me how easy it is ).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Nice find! Hopefully it works out well, if not we need to talk about the 3D print side of things. I'm actually securing a patent now for an idea I've conceptualized through 3D printing, related to tripods and ball heads and the like. I saw your video on travel tripods and bags as I was looking for something small and easy to use, ended up with something a little different and once my idea patent is accepted or rejected I'll share details.

Point is, 3D printed stuff takes little time, costs VERY little, and is super fun to design for and print.
    -Brian

Member#

I saw the Wine Country on Amazon. That thing looks fantastic. But that price, holy balls!!

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Nice find! Hopefully it works out well, if not we need to talk about the 3D print side of things.

Point is, 3D printed stuff takes little time, costs VERY little, and is super fun to design for and print.
    I've got two products to make. This and something for tripods/heads as well...

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post
    I saw the Wine Country on Amazon. That thing looks fantastic. But that price, holy balls!!
    the size is just as shocking! I got mine at launch though so it had a ton of stuff included (all the rings and the CP).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum