+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DJI Mavic!!!

So the apple store has these for sale. Mostly out of stock. I guess they had one yesterday.... Sold in a heartbeat. But they have a non working demo. THIS THING IS AWESOME!!! Can not wait to get mine. Perfect size. They can add whatever they want to the p4, I'm not interested unless it's this size. The remote is quite nice as well.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

http://youtu.be/iYNcTHF8B3w

This was fairly informative for me. I have an Osmo mobile now and I like that dji allows you to tune their stuff to your individual needs.
    Gear , flickarrrrrr, Blouge
    Never go Full Retard

Order Status
    Dear BENJAMIN JACOBSEN,
    We are pleased to inform you that the following order has been shipped.
    Order Number: 12345
    Billing Address: BENJAMIN JACOBSEN
    BENJAMIN JACOBSEN
    address
    Shipping Address: Same As Billing Address
    Boxes: 1
    Tracking #1: UPS blah
    Shipping Method: EXPEDITED DELIVERY
    Scheduled Arrival Date: 12/06/16

Note: Signature may be required upon delivery
    Item Qty Item Description
    DJMAVICPC 1 Mavic Pro Fly More Combo
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Excellent!!
    Never go Full Retard

so it's here!

it's hilarious because it's TINY but the charger/brick etc aren't that tiny so they're a lot of the bulk. The box is also massive (with the fly more kit) with only 1/3 being the actual drone box. First flight was only OK because I didn't update the app... and daylight was fading fast so by the time I got home and updated it's now dark. I also couldn't get it to "follow me" with a message about "this device not supporting GPS" but a large part of that is probably the fact I had the wrong app/not updated....

but yeah, thrilled with the size of it. The fact the charger is a large part of it is hilarious. Their bag is nice although a tight fight. The controller needs to go in first so as to not have it's sticks pushed around going in. The mavic sticks out the top by about 1" but the lid is recessed. Just feels weird at first but is a nice snug fit. There's a gimbal mount that's a little trick at first but is nice and locks the gimbal in place nicely. That sits UNDER the plastic bubble so it can't fall out. And the plastic bubble has a nice rubber coating over it so you won't scratch it in travel... So this means you have the option to fly with or w/o the clear bubble but the bubble has protection which is nice and something I haven't seen before...

now to get some flight time tomorrow. I really want to take it running with me/us tomorrow and play with the follow functions? I doubt the wife will allow that though. But it's that small, that I can consider that now. The size is just insanely awesome.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Can't wait to see what you do with it

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    so it's here!

it's hilarious because it's TINY but the charger/brick etc aren't that tiny so they're a lot of the bulk. The box is also massive (with the fly more kit) with only 1/3 being the actual drone box. First flight was only OK because I didn't update the app... and daylight was fading fast so by the time I got home and updated it's now dark. I also couldn't get it to "follow me" with a message about "this device not supporting GPS" but a large part of that is probably the fact I had the wrong app/not updated....

but yeah, thrilled with the size of it. The fact the charger is a large part of it is hilarious. Their bag is nice although a tight fight. The controller needs to go in first so as to not have it's sticks pushed around going in. The mavic sticks out the top by about 1" but the lid is recessed. Just feels weird at first but is a nice snug fit. There's a gimbal mount that's a little trick at first but is nice and locks the gimbal in place nicely. That sits UNDER the plastic bubble so it can't fall out. And the plastic bubble has a nice rubber coating over it so you won't scratch it in travel... So this means you have the option to fly with or w/o the clear bubble but the bubble has protection which is nice and something I haven't seen before...

now to get some flight time tomorrow. I really want to take it running with me/us tomorrow and play with the follow functions? I doubt the wife will allow that though. But it's that small, that I can consider that now. The size is just insanely awesome.
    So a couple of armchair quarterback things.

The dronevalley dude said that flying with the bubble on could put possibly lead to overheating because it blocks the air paths across the body. Thoughts on that?

The sticks pop out of the controller for easier transport.

Last thing. According to a few people , the car charger theoretically charges faster than the wall charger. Thoughts?
    Never go Full Retard

Member#

Also, is the controller charging your phone?
    Never go Full Retard

I take the bubble off. I don't use UV filters so yeah, same thing? There's a fan in this thing. I had it on the counter turned on for a bit last night and you could hear it kick in clearly (IE not quiet). I'm guessing when they shrunk the p3 they needed to add a fan?

I ordered one of these for the sticks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-MAVIC-PR...-/152311825473
    I've seen the sticks out but prefer the protector (and it covers the screen as well).

No idea on if it charges faster or not. I've NEVER brought my charger with me with the old rig and I only had 2 total batteries there. I doubt I'll start now (except for say Iceland) but we'll see how much I'm using it. That would mean 1 hour + flight time and then car time after? Normally I'd be staying someplace overnight before needing more time? I might eventually grab a fourth battery since the charing puck can do 4 (it charges one at I time from what I'm seeing with their lights but it does them in order so you get them all full w/o having to switch, it's AWESOME!).

Yes it charges the phone. The old p3 remote did as well.

The other thing I need to sort out is a wrap/velcro strap or something around the body. The props spin free when it's off so as you move it around (in/out of the bag) they can rotate. The tips are relatively soft plastic (so were the P2s/P3s) so I don't want them spinning sideways and getting messed up...

Oh, and it comes with a lightning, old android/USM miniwhatever AND USB C cable for the remote. I couldn't find the usb-c listed anywhere so I had adapters here already (from amazon) and ordered the USB-C specific option from B&H on a separate order. But it's included in the box. I've also tried to fit the iPad mini in there and it DOES fit but it's massive and makes it awkward to hold. I'm sticking with my phone since the whole point here is to make it small and light and easy. We'll see if I feel I need some sort of share on this setup (I had one with the P3 and iPad MINI).

The SD card is installed (so don't spend time looking for it). And the instructions are pretty basic/lacking but duplicated in MANY languages.

of course it's raining this AM (so I had dark last night and now rain). Hoping to fly it tonight for sunset...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ok, flight 2 in the books, a real flight. A few thoughts:
    • hand take off/retrieval is NOT as easy w/o the landing gear... and I was flying from uneven ground near/at the ocean so I HAD to...
    • I couldn't find the RAW setting to save my life. I've found it since but for whatever reason (exhausted?) I couldn't so first images are JPEGs.
    • The little nub by default does digital zoom (left/right) or camera straight down (up) or switches to vertical orientation (down). The vertical switch is awesome, stitching a pano now!...
    • needed gimbal calibration but didn't have a flat surface...
    • battery 1 (left over from yesterday so started at ~88%) lasted 20 minutes so they seem similar to the P3 batteries
    • once it hit 30% it got test and keeps beeping at me (like the p3 but I think I adjusted the setting there to 10 or 20%).
    • it was giving me a weird error/warning as I was trying to land it, I think it had to do with the obstacle avoidance but I was on a wet slippery rock over the water trying to catch it with one hand and press down with the other...
    • the remote is down to 58% battery left now? That's WAY less than the p3's... I'd charge it once a year basically and it'd be fine months later. Granted I've been using the remote with my phone (with the mavic on but not flying) quite a bit to go through settings, at least an hour?
    • the gimbal lock is super tricky to get on right. Hoping that's something that gets easier with practice.

I honestly thing some of my "issues" with it are because it's so small it's just different to deal with -vs- the phantom. IE harder to catch and dealing with the gimbal isn't as easy but the thing fits in a normal camera bag so that's just the trade off.

I really wish I had RAW files, the WB is weird on these JPEGs... But the pano stitched pretty well!

Dutch Island Light by Ben Jacobsen, on Flickr

Dutch Island Pano by Ben Jacobsen, on Flickr
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

nice... the remote charging your phone, thats what i was kind of getting at. apparently it doesn't share iPhones but does charge androids. So, folks have been saying that 1 remote charge lasts about 3-5 batteries with an android device, where it gets up to 10+ with idevices.

Post that pano stat!
    Never go Full Retard

cold-blooded internet insult machine Markitos's Avatar
    Member#

“Sharpness is a Bourgeois concept.” -- Henri Cartier-Bresson

Quote Originally Posted by a.hoglen View Post
    nice... the remote charging your phone, thats what i was kind of getting at. apparently it doesn't share iPhones but does charge androids. So, folks have been saying that 1 remote charge lasts about 3-5 batteries with an android device, where it gets up to 10+ with idevices.

Post that pano stat!
    that last shot IS the pano!

and yeah, that makes sense. Need to find a way to turn that off. I've tried the different modes and they all seem to charge it...

I'll try Nikki's iPhone tonight.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I could see it as being a detriment and a benefit... The DJi app for the OSMO Mobile kills my battery in my phone (serriusly..... 100 to 3% in 15 min)
    Never go Full Retard

Those are nice shots, I LOVE the perspective the drones allow.
    I notice some artifacting/haloing, perhaps form the jpg?
    How large could you really print from this thing before the file looks wonky?

I could see it as being a detriment and a benefit... The DJi app for the OSMO Mobile kills my battery in my phone (serriusly..... 100 to 3% in 15 min)
    so my samsung table does NOT charge when used? But that's using the bottom port not the side port. I have a lot of playing around to do (and never enough time) as the app locked up on my LG G5 tonight causing the app to completely lose video. I could still control the drone fine but if it'd been far away (it was within 20') it might have been hard to find! Yeah yeah, that's why we're supposed to keep them in visual range but the problem is once it gets a 1/2 mile or more away and you look down at the screen they're VERY hard to "find" again.

Also, we tried tracking tonight as well. You have to tap the screen twice to get it to actually follow someone but it's pretty neat!

Quote Originally Posted by thomps6s View Post
    Those are nice shots, I LOVE the perspective the drones allow.
    I notice some artifacting/haloing, perhaps form the jpg?
    How large could you really print from this thing before the file looks wonky?
    this is a 3 shot pano from my p2v+ (because you had to to remove the fisheye effect) and it's 4'x3' at my parents house:

Beavertail Sunset by Ben Jacobsen, on Flickr

These are 12mp stills. With a RAW file and good processing you can print large but don't expect D800/a7rii resolution... The image from the mavic is at 896 iso (what the hell is that? ) AND it's JPEG so don't make any conclusions from it. The colors are also super crappy in last nights shots but I'm chalking that up to JPEG. BUT... With my P2 I basically always used JPEGS (but shot both) because LR would be maxed out with WB corrections on the RAWs. But that was fixed with the P3 and I always used RAWs there (but still shot both).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

so, yeah, just reorganizing my backpack to make better use of space with the mavic and I realized the mavic will fit in my filter hive/filter holder? WITH it's remote? Right now, in my big backpack, I have:
    • a6000 w/16-50
    • a6300 w/10-18
    • a7rii w/16-35mm
    • 24-70 & 70-300 & 150-600 (with adapter in place)
    • mavic with remote and 2 spares
    • 28mm f/2 and 16mm 2.8
    • X70 w/ batteries
    • rode videomicro and sony BT mic.

This is damn near my full kit and really more than I'd normally carry all at once. The only thing I'd add is support (table tripod, ballheads etc) and the tripod still have room in their normal spot. It's just awesome having the mavic be a small part of my normal kit. Even yesterday with ONE camera with ONE lens and the mavic, the mavic was half the kit space and weight wise?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

playing with the tracking some more walking the kids to the bus this AM. This thing is NEAT! And the obstacle avoidance is nice. It also seems like it might be able to gimbal folded up. I'd seen a video that said the footage was crap but it looks fine on the phone. Need to import and see on a larger screen.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Got an email from DJI today saying if you order a mavic from them today it'll ship in 5-7 days.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

mine should arrive today..

anyways, over on the reddit mavic page, people have been trying to get the dpi stuff to work but they keep taking payment, but it won't allow them to get to approved status so you can get on the 5-7 day thing.

looks like they've got a better handle on their inventory now.
    Never go Full Retard

Member#

I'm going to say this, DJi's packaging is top notch! It's nice to see them put a lot of effort into delivering a true complete package. It took me about 20 min to inbox this ting!
    Never go Full Retard

top notch -vs- PITA, you decide! It is nice but yeah, it took way too long to get all the little bits out of the "other" box.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

So I've been flying for a few days now and this thing is nice.. it's simple and it works. I've been reading and it seems that the iOS integration is a little better than android but regardless, it all goes together nicely. Looking back at the karma system, this thing makes so much more sense.

couple of panos:

Untitled-3-2 by a.hoglen, on Flickr

Untitled-2-2 by a.hoglen, on Flickr
    Never go Full Retard

Member#

That bottom one is really nice.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    That bottom one is really nice.
    Agreed.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

nice. I need to practice more, especially with settings to smooth out pans and gimbal movements in video.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Have you dialed back the controller sensitivity? I think that gives you a little more control.

I want to trust the folio me touch to fly but something tells me that it's just going to end up making me crash.
    Never go Full Retard

try it in an open space first! I did it on a street with trees and it almost crashed into one the first time but I saved it and now I know how it works!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ok, so active track, how do you get it to match the elevation of the subject? I almost lost the drone Saturday when I was following myself and a buddy skiing... Drone went above the tree level as it flew flat/level and a huge gust of wind came and blew it ~100 yards off over some woods. I couldn't get it to fly back (too windy I assume?). I could get it to go any other direction but NOT toward where I was... So I skied down a trail that went that direction and eventually it could come back. I'm guessing (again) that the wind died, but I was eventually able to get it to come back. TOTAL PITA!

Also, thanks to it's obstacle avoidance and down facing camera it's a bitch to land in your hand/catch. I do it but I've had it fly up out of my hand or take way more than 3s to turn off. I've also gotten lucky and had it just work on a harder landing...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ok, so apparently you hold down on the left stick once you start tracking and it'll work. The drone can go up but not down (people are guessing because of where the sensors are?) in active track mode. And it won't go below the angle to the subject it starts at so holding down keeps it there as the skier descends... Now I need to find a hill and try it.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

No skiing footage?

have some, haven't processed...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

ok, so active track, how do you get it to match the elevation of the subject? I almost lost the drone Saturday when I was following myself and a buddy skiing... Drone went above the tree level as it flew flat/level and a huge gust of wind came and blew it ~100 yards off over some woods. I couldn't get it to fly back (too windy I assume?). I could get it to go any other direction but NOT toward where I was... So I skied down a trail that went that direction and eventually it could come back. I'm guessing (again) that the wind died, but I was eventually able to get it to come back. TOTAL PITA!

Also, thanks to it's obstacle avoidance and down facing camera it's a bitch to land in your hand/catch. I do it but I've had it fly up out of my hand or take way more than 3s to turn off. I've also gotten lucky and had it just work on a harder landing...
    I had that same thing happen over a lake a few days back.. I ended up flipping over to sport mode to get it close to me.. I was also looking for alternate landing spots on the way back just in case the wind picked up again.
    Never go Full Retard

yeah, sport mode isn't a bad idea, thanks for that reminder...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

So I've finally caught the drone bug and the Mavic seems like the logical choice. Have you guys done any low-light or night flying?

Member#

I haven't done a lot of low light anything. Over on Reddit there is a lot of low light photos popping up. It seems if you want more low light video, the p4 pro might be better. For me though,the portability of the Mavic is key. I can have it on me and no one else has any idea about it. I don't feel bad about carrying it around or whatever.

Ben, do you use Litchi? I downloaded it and it give me a lot more options than the dji4 app does. I also figured out how to fly FPV with it, which is awesome.
    Never go Full Retard

Member#

I haven't done a lot of low light anything. Over on Reddit there is a lot of low light photos popping up. It seems if you want more low light video, the p4 pro might be better. For me though,the portability of the Mavic is key. I can have it on me and no one else has any idea about it. I don't feel bad about carrying it around or whatever.

Ben, do you use Litchi? I downloaded it and it give me a lot more options than the dji4 app does. I also figured out how to fly FPV with it, which is awesome.
    Thanks for the input. The portability of the Mavic is a huge selling point for me. Right now, my practical side says to go for the Mavic or perhaps the P4 but the kid in me that wants to own a Hunter-Killer from Terminator says "HOLY **** LOOK AT THAT INSPIRE 2. BUY THAT."

if the inspire 2 folded it'd be an amazing option bit it's ****ing massive... I'd also say mavic for portability. It goes places with me. If takes the spot of a 70-200 in your camera bag. I flew to CO with mine last week and have taken it skiing in a small bag. I never did that with the phantom. I also shoot mine after sunset a lot to control DR but it's not dark yet so I can't help much in terms of "low" light. But 10 minutes after sunset they do quite well.

Alan,, no, haven't used Litchi, worth the $25? What's it do better/differently?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

if the inspire 2 folded it'd be an amazing option bit it's ****ing massive... I'd also say mavic for portability. It goes places with me. If takes the spot of a 70-200 in your camera bag. I flew to CO with mine last week and have taken it skiing in a small bag. I never did that with the phantom. I also shoot mine after sunset a lot to control DR but it's not dark yet so I can't help much in terms of "low" light. But 10 minutes after sunset they do quite well.

Well with the new software update, i'm not sure what all the differences are. But prior to I could do some hack fpv flying, orbit was much better and you can also design missions... So for me it was worth the $25 just to have something else in the tool kit (even though when the wife was auditing my spending, she wanted to know if the app also wiped my a55)..

Anyways, check out all this lens flare flying low at sunset... (don't make fun of my dirt or my un-smooth flight)

http://youtu.be/HJvdQivIhDQ
    Never go Full Retard

Member#

Thanks, Ben!

Member#

Never go Full Retard

Member#

Sick stuff Alan.

Member#

Nice work, Alan.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

Thanks! It is getting better.
    Never go Full Retard

Nice work Alan.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I bought a Hero5 this week and it showed up this morning. It's ****ing awesome. The touch screen interface is amazing, the battery lasts way longer, and the construction of the thing is superb compared to my old Hero 3. Well worth the upgrade. I'm hoping to go out for a waterfall hike this weekend and try to get some hiking footage to play with but I'm excited.

I'm tempted between that and the session but I keep coming back to my a6300 taking better video and I already own it... It's 4k is amazing.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Yeah I'm now debating buying an A6300/6500 as well...one camera for stills (A7R), one for video (A6300), one for timelapse (A6000), and GoPro for gimbal/b camera stuff.

yeah, that's how I've been using the first three, although at times I swap the second two between split duty, both timelapse or both video.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/22/dji...tivate-online/

so FAA nixes the whole registration thing but the same week DJI adds the need to register with them... I don't mind I guess but it better not be one of those things that pops up when I'm about to fly if I haven't touched it in a while and then can't fly. The other issue I have is I live near an old AF base that is now a private airport (and they host the airshow) and depending on some of the radiuses the apps use I can be in a black listed area even though it's not so they better have their distances right. Same with the Newport Airport that's prop planes only.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum