+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DJI Mavic!!!

Default  DJI Mavic!!!  

so the mavic was just announced:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mavic_pro.html
    $999 for just the normal kit, $1299 gets you three batteries total and some other goodies (two extra batteries alone are worth $180 so what's the other $120 get you?):

So it looks like it might be smaller once folded? It also takes RAW images AND can do verticals!!! (this is such a PITA as a photographer flying a drone). But it uses your phone (needs your phone) which is a PITA but in trade it can also ONLY use your phone, IE fly w/o the controller... I don't love the plastic front bubble in that it feels like it'll get scratched but I'm sure it's replacable and anything to protect the gimbal is a good thing. It'll just need some sort of good lenscap...

They're saying it's the size of a water bottle!!!

I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

mavic has 27 minute flight time. More here (including a rough comparison in size): http://petapixel.com/2016/09/27/dji-...-camera-drone/
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

holy crap, the mavic is TINY! http://myfirstdrone.com/mavic/how-sm...vic-really-is/

the only downsize is at 750g (half the P4) it's still 3x what it needs to be to not need to register it...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

so one downside I'm seeing is the lens is a ~28mm effective (78.8) -vs- ~20mm effective (94) lens. It's nice having less distortion in my p3 from my p2v+ but the problem I've run into is for arch shoots you run out of room to back the thing up at times. You're stuck with a tree behind you and can't fit everything in that you'd want. Now with the p2v+ I had to shoot 3 image panos in those scenarios anyway because the images were fisheye and once you fixed that the corners went to mush... So it's back to that, which honestly I've had to do with the p3 anyway... So it's an annoyance for some arch shoots but it'll be better for most other things (when you need it to be high up to see over something but you feel like you want to be closer).

Regardless, I have the mavic preordered. Can't wait. Now I have to redo my photo bag inserts plan/layout to work with this. I'll be selling my phantom with the thinktank helipak now.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

So you're ordering this over the GoPro Karma?

Does the bubble actually cover the lens or is it cut out in front of the lens?

Member#

So looking at the video and specs I think I'm going to go with the GoPro. I really like the gimbal and gopro's useability. You'd know more than me because you actually use this stuff, but other than the size it seems like most of the stuff the mavic offers could be as simple as a software update from GoPro.

Discuss??
    Gear , flickarrrrrr, Blouge
    Never go Full Retard

yes, ordering this over the gopro. I've always HATED gopros to be honest but part of me was excited to get their newest and see how far they've come. Their new mics sound nice and it sounds like the new menu fixes a lot of my complaints with the touch screen. But that drone has NONE of the helpers. No front facing camera/sensors to avoid hitting things. No down facing cameras to hold still w/o a good GPS signal. it's a lot slower, it's LARGER, it's 2x as heavy and the battery doesn't last as long (I'd be find with that if it were the smaller of the two but it's not). It's folding design isn't as good as it leaves the arms/motors out front where they're vulnerable.

The plus with the gopro is you get a gopro, you get a gimbal for a gopro w/o using the drone and you get a nicer remote w/the screen baked in so you don't need to use your phone.

With the DJI you get a better camera (DJIs have moved past gopros for a reason) with a better drone. Rumor has it you can use it folded up as a gimbal. Obviously not as neatly as the gopro's hand mount but if you need it it's an option (and the fstoppers BTW crew did this with a full blown phantom a bunch). Longer battery life is nice. As I said in the gopro thread I tend to fly <20 minutes almost always and end up with half used batteries so for me 27 minutes isn't crucial but a longer buffer is nice if I'm choosing between the two and the smaller one is lighter AND has the better battery. Also, the 40mph max speed is very nice in that it opens up how much wind you can fly in. It's often 18kts of wind here and I won't fly or I'm VERY nervous if I do. Now that's no problem. And I'm sure since you get 40mph via a sports mode that's got a shorter flight time which makes sense.

Basically for me size wins and the mavic wins in size and portability. It's not as nice a total package but it checks the boxes I want checked and it's got a camera I prefer so I'll deal with the lesser remote. If I feel I still need a gopro I'll pick one up later. I've got some projects I'm thinking about starting where a gopro might be nice but my RX100 could also work (and I have an older gopro) so we'll see if I need one later.

The tough part is ordering one now -vs- waiting for expo where I can see/hold both but I know I'd order the DJI based on my bias against gopro and it's lower cost.

worth a read: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/27/13...esture-control

from that verge link above, they've removed the bubble for most of their pics:

so that's good. It basically seems like it's a lenscap for storage that you can also fly with. I just hope they've got something to lock the gimbal down well when traveling since it's size makes it VERY easy to o"toss" into a camera bag like a lens etc and those gimbals have always been a weak point. I'm sure the aftermarket will have TONS of options for a gimbal lock if DJI didn't but hopefully they built it in.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

here's the pro kit at B&H:

it comes with that bag, 3 total batteries (two extra), it says 5 props -vs- 3 for the normal kit so I'm not sure how that works, all spares? But it also comes with that charging "hub" that looks like 4 batteries can be charged all at once? Rad.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

so it's 83 x 83 x 198mm and weighs 743g.
    my sony 70-300 is 84 x 84 x 144 and weighs 854g.
    a sony 70-200mm f/4 is 80 x 80 x 175 and 840g
    a sony 70-200 2.8 is 88 x 88 x 200mm and 1480g.

size is drone only. It's not clear if the weight is for the drone only or drone and remote. I'm sure it includes one battery but no spares. Still, this is half the weight of my phantom, not that the weight was an issue there but it's the size of a damn lens. Smaller than a 70-200 and the remote and charger and spare batteries are also all very small. I can't wait to get it and run it through it's paces. It's a much better option to the phantom for me. I'm excited the camera is as good as it is as rumors had them watering that down.

http://www.dji.com/mavic

I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quick question. So you can fly with just your phone via wifi.... But doesn't that just mean you still have to have your base station/controller with you to setup the network and transmit to the dji, just not in your hands?
    Never go Full Retard

Man, I want one. Lacking funds. BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by a.hoglen View Post
    Quick question. So you can fly with just your phone via wifi.... But doesn't that just mean you still have to have your base station/controller with you to setup the network and transmit to the dji, just not in your hands?

not sure how it works but no you do not need anything other than your phone and the drone itself. They sell it w/o the remote as well if you want to save money. There's lots of other cheaper drones out there that all use your phone somehow so I'd bet they're all on similar tech. The nice thing with this is you get both choices.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I watched the digital rev video today and it cleared some stuff up. Looking at the footage it does appear to have a better camera than the GoPro by a little bit (let's just forget that YouTube uploads get kind of wonky sometimes anyhow).
    They tout a 4 mile range, how the heck do they transmit effectively at that range? I'd be afraid I'd get it way out and then run out of battery befor rt could make it back.

I also watched Casey Neistat's review and judging by his reaction, it is clear what he favors.
    Never go Full Retard

The P3 calculates how hard it's flying -vs- throttle to calculate wind and will warn you and even turn around if you've gone too far down wind. Not sure how they do it or how well it works as I've always turned around in time myself. Range is weird, I'm not even sure what it is on my p3 but I've been beyond it. video cuts out when you get close then it'll return when you're beyond... So more range to me just means it'll work better at the ranges I'm using mine at (which are within the specs for mine). I'm just hoping video works better.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

so, with all that being said, if i loose this thing, i.e. crash, will i have something to tell me where it is approximately sitting?
    Never go Full Retard

Member#

Maybe get one of these?

Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

got one...

wrigcourt by a.hoglen, on Flickr

he's worthless
    Never go Full Retard

Member#

Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

so, with all that being said, if i loose this thing, i.e. crash, will i have something to tell me where it is approximately sitting?
    yeah, provided you have a cell phone working with it (IE not in remote only mode) it shows you where the drone is on a map and it's current direction (helps you figure out what you're looking at when you're flying it). I assume this will have the same. I think there's even a section of the app for finding it if you do crash where it's ONLY the map but I've never looked into that.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

What do these guys know?
    https://fstoppers.com/aerial/footage...antom-4-147978

After watching the promo for the Mavic I was extremely excited. The hardware itself for this drone is incredible and I couldn't wait to conveniently travel around the world with a drone without getting hassled in every airport. One thing worried me though. The footage in the promo video looked muddy. The colors looked bland and at times I might even say the footage looked blurry. I put these thoughts out of my mind and hoped that it was all in my head. Sadly, my fears have become a reality. The Mavic's camera is pretty bad.

Casey Neistat has once again created another video with the Mavic, this time comparing it to the Phantom 4. It's pretty easy to see how much better the P4's camera is. Had the Phantom series never existed I'm sure the Mavic would be beyond acceptable, but I'm so used to the incredible quality out of the Phantom 4, I'm not sure I can ever be happy with anything significantly worse.

Although Casey didn't have a GoPro Karma to compare to the P4 and Mavic, I'm not sure he needs to. I've personally flown a Phantom 2 with a GoPro 4 Silver for years and the footage is great, although arguably a bit too wide. You can see some of the footage shot at 2.7k and downscaled to 1080p totally ungraded in the video below.

This leads me to believe that the Gopro Karma will have significantly better footage, but I can't imagine the Karma will fly as well as the Mavic. DJI has such a head start when it comes to drone technology, I'm assuming that it will take GoPro years to catch up.

As Casey says in the video above, he creates a video every single day of his life and he is happy to give up image quality in return for the convenience of the Mavic. I am also, to an extent. But from what I've seen, the Mavic's footage is so much worse that I may wait for the second version to buy it. At this point I'm putting all of my hope in the GoPro Karma.

Update: At this point it looks like the Mavic still may be a reasonable replacement for the Phantom 4. We need to wait for a new test.

Member#

I think after watching Casey's compare, unless GOPRO has the sensors/GPS system that DJI has it will be a tough choice for me not to go with the DJI. As someone who's not made of $$ and can just buy a new one when I break it I want the flying aspect to be as seamless and safe as possible. I will say this, I do not like that you can not use a iPad with the DJI, as I have a iPhone SE (small screen) and would much rather utilize my iPad pro for the screen.

-Eric
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Shawn, Casey has said he didn't focus the mavic correctly in the comparo. Yes it's still odd you'd need to change how you focus (he's owned a bunch of phantoms) but FWIW that's what he's said since. As for a gopro, they've come a long way but in EVERY comparison I've seen unless you're willing to "grade" their slog/raw footage the DJI is much better out of the box. Granted those comparisons have all been a phantom -vs- a gopro on another drone but the DJI has always won.

For me I don't need epic/perfect video. It's all about stills and no one has done a comparison there yet. So I have to wait and see. But it's a drone so really it's all about the perspective that blows people away. 10% less sharp won't matter for how I'm using mine. I haven't played with a gopro in forever but what's the FOV/angle when shooting stills? I know they crop into the sensor for video and different qualities (4k vs 2.7k vs 1080) have different options because you can't crop as much and still record 4k I guess? But where does that leave the stills on the karma?

Also, one neat trick on the mavic is it allows both horizontal and vertical stills. This is probably why the lens is "tighter" now as it could be using the old one and cropping a bit which would also allow it to switch to vertical? But that'll be an interesting tool for stills, I've had a few times I would have wanted a vertical but couldn't with the phantom.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

I'd buy the mavic, fwiw I find the f-stopper guys Douchey, hence my leading line.

Member#

I watched another video today commenting on the softness of the video for the mavic and it highlighted the fact that most of the test footage isn't soft or muddy, it's out of focus. Apparently the app uses a touch to focus function, much like a phone camera operates.

As far as the functions like "take a picture" and the follow modes don't seem to be smooth or upper user friendly.
    Never go Full Retard

so weird you have to touch to focus but whatever. Here's another video with some more in focus footage:

also, I'll be selling my p3 advanced. I've got 2 total batteries (so one extra) and all the normal goodies. I'm also selling it with a hard case (that's cut for the smaller landing gear and I've got the large on it), prop guards, the think tank heli pack and the lowepro drone guard tray and a sun screen for smaller tablets. Thinking $700?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

this is a nice stills comparison as well: http://www.shainblumphoto.com/2016/0...phantom-4-dng/
    this is from that link (but also visit the link to see 100% crops etc):

I'm worried by the tighter lens but it actually looks sharper in some of those test shots? If it really does have vertical images as an option, while a pano is a PITA, it will yield better results in terms of a wide non distorted image for arch shoots...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

good video/review:

very positive even when compared to the P4.

now if they'd just start shipping... although B&H has a holiday for the next weekish so it won't come until november for me now at this point regardless.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

@ 2:19 he's got the mavic and the karma side by side. Didn't realize the karma is also heavier than a phantom 4 by quite a bit and well over 2x the mavic!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I've held off for now until they get out in the wild.

Karmas are popping up and from intial reports they have been a little buggy with signal issues and something that has really been bothering me all the raw video seems to be tilted somewhat. With stills this isn't a big issue but when you are correcting video files that render could take a while (and you are losing a lot of resolution). Some have mentioned that it might be because it wasn't calibrated on a level surface but I think that something as complicated as a gimbal might be able to sort some of this out.

Flight times have registered somewhere in the 16-18 min range for the gopros as well.

The longer this goes on I might be leaning more towards the mavic now. I really want to love the karma and the whole system because it promises to fix everything I hate about my GoPro (and I love my GoPro).
    Never go Full Retard

get a mavic and an osmos or a mavic and a gimbal for your gopro?

I wanted to love the karma but the instant I saw the mavic I knew it was game over. Karma got me thinking about wanting a gimbal but they don't have to be the same. I'm now looking at the new session or new gopro potentially and maybe even with a gimbal but the mavic is hands down the small drone winner. I'm also curious how well the mavic will work as a gimbal w/o flying (works with phantoms).

I'm looking at gopros and the osmo or even a cell option for doing some vlogging potentially. Not sure which is the best option, a lot of that will come down to the audio. The new gopro hero 5 has impressed me audio wise so if that means I could potentially go w/o a mic it's the winner. Otherwise I'll be looking at the new session with a mic input.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Starving
    Member#

I'm also curious how well the mavic will work as a gimbal w/o flying (works with phantoms).

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/10/1...d-held-gimbal/

Member#

So apparently the remote can also use an iPad mini also via the lower USB port. That is cool.
    Never go Full Retard

So apparently the remote can also use an iPad mini also via the lower USB port. That is cool.
    link? I have a mini and an even smaller samsung tablet I've been using for droning (samsung has GPS built in w/o cell radios). I was planning on using my cell to keep things small but the small tablets might be nice. If only the damn thing would ship...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Never go Full Retard

thanks!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

This has me really wanting a Mavic now. Also seeing Colby Brown's post about carrying his entire A7R2 kit + mavic in the Peak sling bag.

that video is great, learned even more than just that an iPad mini works which is awesome. My samsung is even smaller but I'm not sure on it's thickness.

and yeah, Dave, I've been stalking the size of this thing since it's launch. CAN NOT WAIT... As everyone is saying, this becomes part of your NORMAL kit where a regular phantom is something that only goes out with purpose. Different strokes but I don't take my phantom often and I know this will go with me and get used all the time. I actually pretty much guarantee I'll crash/wreck a mavic only because I'll be using it so much more!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    that video is great, learned even more than just that an iPad mini works which is awesome. My samsung is even smaller but I'm not sure on it's thickness.

and yeah, Dave, I've been stalking the size of this thing since it's launch. CAN NOT WAIT... As everyone is saying, this becomes part of your NORMAL kit where a regular phantom is something that only goes out with purpose. Different strokes but I don't take my phantom often and I know this will go with me and get used all the time. I actually pretty much guarantee I'll crash/wreck a mavic only because I'll be using it so much more!
    I've been watching a lot of that guy's stuff and he seems to be really informative.. He seems to be generating a lot of hate in the comments section also, but isn't that the nature of youtube?

i've been trying to get a local store here to put me together a package deal with an Cosmo mobile and the fly more mavic package. Still yet to hear a price....
    Never go Full Retard

well, no one can get mavics so that could be the issue...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

oh yeah.. he said he would hopefully have the first shipment in around end nov/1st week of dec.
    Never go Full Retard

sweet, B&H has GOT to be ahead of that so maybe this month?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

any word on ship times from your contacts at B&H??

(someone placed an order for one today!!)
    Never go Full Retard

nope.

trust me I'm impatient as well. And congrats! not sure how long the line is at this point or how many they'll get when they get their shipments...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

They wouldn't tell me $hit.... i went with BH over the local guy because Im sure they are higher on the priority list, i had a few gift cards to burn, no sales tax etc....

I saw they just released the P4 pro and Inspire 2 today... Hopefully they will get caught up on the Mavics so they can focus on those shipping.
    Never go Full Retard

yeah, the P4p and i2 are listed as shipping next week but of course a lot of those parts are the same parts? maybe not. But yeah, where's my damn mavic!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

i've been creeping around reddit and somewhere was put up that BH had 1700 orders.. But DJi's current capacity is around 100 units per day... I know how internet rumors gout if those are true, i'll get mine Christmas 2017?
    Never go Full Retard

Member#

100 per day?! That's nothing.

that is nothing but it would still mean they could cover it in 17 days... I think the big issue is they're shipping the orders off their site first and then others after. That makes sense and I wouldn't doubt that B&H has a discount so they might be last in line? Also, if you bought via DJI you paid when you placed your order so that's another reason they're getting theirs first. B&H and Adorama and amazon all charge when it ships.

Interestingly B&H also doesn't have apple watches yet (series 2). Nikki wants one and I've had one on order there since launch and still nada. Apple stores have them in stock and best buy and target can get them to me within a few days (but with tax). Her Bday is the monday after thanksgiving so I'll probably go buy one locally now... But yeah, is B&H falling out of favor with their vendors?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I combined my order with other stuff and got charged the full amount on my CC from bhphoto. Weird.

I got a product update email from bh this am..... but it was about the status of karmas..
    Never go Full Retard

yeah, I also got the karma update... When they get them you'll get a shipment email before a product update email and I'd bet that they don't even get into stock the first time (more orders and they'll get but that's just a guess). If you stalk your orders page on their site you can see things go to "sent to warehouse" the day it ships BEFORE it ships but that's only a few hour long window before the email comes. Biggest thing I check is the product page just to see if they've changed their estimate. It's officially "Ship Time: Not available".
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum