+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Peak Design vs Think Tank bags

From iceland last spring I didn't love back panel access for everything there. I had to set my bag down in a lot of wet/muddy places near all the waterfalls to get things out. So I've been looking for a bag with easy access to shoot out of but the sling and or change up could be that bag. But if I go that route I need to be able to carry that bag to where I'm going along with a backpack to fit ALL my stuff? Vlogging/making videos has complicated this because just shooting a small sling or the change up holds everything I need. But to bring all my kit to Iceland I need a backpack. I could put the sling style bag inside the backpack (and remove the insert) and just load it with a few smaller bags as well.

The backpack was bought to see if that style bag could work and do the jobs of both. Hold everything for the flight but then also be shoot out of with easy access w/o setting it down. It certainly can IF I can get it setup correctly but that's where I'm struggling.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

Sooner or later you're going to design your own backpack and hit kickstarter.

Member#

Dummy me just figured out there is more strap on the Sling hidden in a small pocket in the back. This whole time I debated giving it up because there wasn't enough strap.

Member#

Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

Yeah, it was so stupid on my part I had to share

that's my love/hate with them. I was the same way in trying to add a "belt" for my EDM and as I looked, oh, what's this?!?!?!!! A ****ING BELT!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

I should have known to look closer on the sling after finally finding that belt hidden away on the EDM.

Working
    Member#

Peak Design has some very informative videos about their gear. I learned a lot about the bags that I have.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCX...xB08muPJta5WBQ

so yeah, took the sling and backpack on a trip to FL/Disney...

still think the backpack SUCKS for every day camera carry. Crap just wants to fall out all the time and I don't have easy access to it really if removing the bag. It's great if you want to swing it around though w/o setting it down. The add on straps are very nice and lots of nice cubbies. Might be a better laptop carry than the messenger to be honest. But yeah, don't love it for straight camera carry, I MUCH prefer my lowepro whistler. I will say their hardware is very nice.

The sling is quite nice. Better size/shape -vs- my think tank change up. You CAN wear it as a fanny pack if you like (tighten the strap) and you can add a peak shoulder strap super easy if you want belt and shoulder. The front compartment is a bit weird in that I feel it should flip up because of how it's got straps but those just give more space if you loosen them. As you learn it it's fine but weird at first. I think I'll replace the change up though, long term. Need to play more.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    It's great if you want to swing it around though w/o setting it down.
    This. I quickly figured out that, if cameras are inside, the side panels only get opened when the bag is horizontal with one strap on my shoulder still. And that setup works really well - better than any back access bag I've ever used.

I tested it out in the rain/snow Friday on my bike ride into the office and it held up perfectly, too. No moisture inside the bag.

The more I use it, the more I like it to be honest. It's the best backpack I've ever used and I'm getting more and more used to the camera carry options. I can fit my A6000 w/ 10-18 in the smallest subdivider section (1/3) for dead simple access and my A7R w/ 24-70 or 14mm goes in the other 2/3rds of that row which works really well. Only problem is remembering which side is which when it's on my back. The bag is so damn big, too (30L size) that everything else I need to carry goes in the top-loader compartment.

Member#

I've loved using the sling since I have had it. Great for a daily bag, even with the larger 2.8 Fuji zooms.

I should add I got a small tear in my backpack this AM in a shuttle where the seatbelt receiver was removed leaving a bare metal bracket.

and Dave, another point is I had this LOADED to the gills (a7rii, a6000, 10-18, 24-70, 70-300, 28mm, 24mm, 50mm, 12mm fisheye, & filters). So a few smaller options would have worked much easier. To be honest rethinking what I brought it should have been the 16-35mm (wide on FF, mid on crop) and 70-300 then ONE prime. I never touched the primes as we were too busy (I'd wanted to test the 16 -vs- 28 -vs- 24 and play with the 50 some more).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum