+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 69 of 69

Thread: Shawn's Panoramic film camera adventure - Now with pics

  1. #51
    Pro Whitford's Avatar
    Member#
    1364
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Default    
      
      

    Quote Originally Posted by thomps6s View Post
    Thanks, hoping to scoop one up without issues for $1500 or less. They have sold for that recently, but I just have to be patient.
    Have you asked Bellamy (Japan Camera Hunter)?


    • Advertising

      advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.



        
       

  2. #52

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitford View Post
    Have you asked Bellamy (Japan Camera Hunter)?
    I did now, thanks!
    - Shawn

  3. #53
    Pro Whitford's Avatar
    Member#
    1364
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by thomps6s View Post
    I did now, thanks!
    - Shawn
    Bellamy's great, especially since you can say "Hey, I only want to spend $1500" and then he'll find you a user. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him.

    He's the only online outlet I am 100% confident will send me a working film camera.

  4. #54

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitford View Post
    Bellamy's great, especially since you can say "Hey, I only want to spend $1500" and then he'll find you a user. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him.

    He's the only online outlet I am 100% confident will send me a working film camera.
    Thabks for the tip!

  5. #55

    Default          

    Found one with 45mm and center ND for $1299 after checking about 100 online camera shops. Should ship out today!



    Tripod hole protruding a bit, hopefully an easy fix.





    Overall amazing shape, most have peeling or chipped paint due to the paint or metal that Hasselblad used.
    Last edited by thomps6s; 03-08-2017 at 02:53 PM.

  6. #56

    Default          

    nice. So what's the format on that? 6xloooooooong?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  7. #57

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    nice. So what's the format on that? 6xloooooooong?
    24x65mm

  8. #58

    Default          

    oh, yeah, mine is 65 x 90.... I've got a 65mm lens but I'd bet that's close since it's ~50% wider. Obviously you'd crop 120 with mine but similarish.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  9. #59

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    oh, yeah, mine is 65 x 90.... I've got a 65mm lens but I'd bet that's close since it's ~50% wider. Obviously you'd crop 120 with mine but similarish.
    That Fuji is so awesome, cannot wait to see what you come up with.

    Honestly, I have gone over just about every scenario and studied them a bit. Shoot wide with my D800, crop pano, buy a 4x5 and get a pano back, get the Bornica 135w back, etc.. but nothing has that feeling of the xpan photos. I think there is a lot to be said for a camera built for a specific purpose. We will see once I get it.
    I enjoy the Horizon swing lens cams I have, but I miss being able to meter, set focus and shoot like an SLR.
    Last edited by thomps6s; 03-13-2017 at 09:18 AM.

  10. #60

    Default          

    agreed on the built to a purpose bit! Can't wait to see what you can come up with.

    and yes, I need to use mine already!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  11. #61

    Default          

    Woohoo, it's here!

  12. #62

    Default          

    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  13. #63

    Default          

    Is that the 45mm lens? I always thought that was a great compromise. With the 30mm you have to use the filter and the external finder and the shots seem weirdly wide. I mean you get that distortion that you get with ultra-wide-angle lenses but it is the whole picture then. At 45 it is a more normal FL and you let the negative let you see wider. That is probably just my preferences showing through.

    I have a 50mm lens for my Hasselblad so this ends up being like a chopped negative... but portable... and a hell of a lot more user friendly. But then again, few things are as odd to use as a v-series Hasselblad.

  14. #64

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Is that the 45mm lens? I always thought that was a great compromise. With the 30mm you have to use the filter and the external finder and the shots seem weirdly wide. I mean you get that distortion that you get with ultra-wide-angle lenses but it is the whole picture then. At 45 it is a more normal FL and you let the negative let you see wider. That is probably just my preferences showing through.

    I have a 50mm lens for my Hasselblad so this ends up being like a chopped negative... but portable... and a hell of a lot more user friendly. But then again, few things are as odd to use as a v-series Hasselblad.
    It is the 45mm , I had similar thoughts. The other thing, the 30mm is about $3000 on the used market. The 90mm is more attainable, but I am going to be happy with this 45mm I think.
    I am going to turn in a roll today, hopefully everything is on point.

    This camera is just about everything I wanted in a film camera. I love panoramic format, love being able to change the full range of apertures and shutter speeds. My Horizon cams were fun, but very limited in that regard.

    As for my Bronica, it was just too cumbersome to be something I wanted to use regularly. I will be selling all of my film cams and just focusing on this Xpan. I will be selling my 120/220 film as well.

    I read about a guy that cut a dark slide in half on a 6x6 camera to shoot two panos on one piece of 6x6
    Not the same as an xpan pano, but interesting idea.
    https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...e-same.305326/

  15. #65

    Default          

    When you get the film back I'll be interested in the metering. That seems to be the biggest problem with a lot of these panos not to mention just film cameras in general. Modern meters are just magic.

  16. #66

    Default          

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    When you get the film back I'll be interested in the metering. That seems to be the biggest problem with a lot of these panos not to mention just film cameras in general. Modern meters are just magic.
    Sure, I am shooting the first roll in Auto mode for just that reason. I will scan and upload.

  17. #67

    Default          

    Still trying to dial in the scanning and processing, but here's a sample. This one is a little crunchy.
    Last edited by thomps6s; 03-23-2017 at 07:44 AM.

  18. #68

    Default          

    nice and wiiiiiiiide.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

  19. #69

    Default          

    Yeah, that's cool.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts