+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Sony Thoughts....

Member#

FE50 for $199 vs SEL50OSS for $299 on the A6300? I am sure used pices will be less as well but comparable in the difference in new pricing.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

check amazon used? I have the new 50 non OSS version that I think is your first option. Granted I have IBIS in the a7rii but for me I shoot people at 1/125th anyway so it's not a huge help until I get to longer FLs. I like the new 50 but it is a bit noisy with it's AF motor. not terrible and it's so light and small I kept it and sold my 55...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Few sony thoughts...

Took mine out 4 days to the J boat world champs here in town last week:

• if you're going ANYWHERE near water, put those stupid hot shoe covers back on...
    • a very large power boat cut in front of our boat while my dad was looking at the boats sailing... We got SOAKED. Direct hit to my a6300 in my hands and my a6000 in my bag got wet. The a6000 is fine, the a6300 not so much. My exposed (because I've been using a mic on it lately) hot shoe is toast. I kinda get that as it's an electronic connector and I didn't have it's cover in place... But the top right wheel which SHOULD be sealed is now not working... I've got a local camera repair shop I'm taking it to tomorrow...
    • get these eye cups if you're shooting in bright light outside or any sort of action, they're great! (especially holding the camera to your face on a boat!): http://amzn.to/2wLUji5
    • here are spare hot shoe covers since I know we've all lost them... http://amzn.to/2wbfcBC
    • I also picked up the lensmate thumb grip for the a6300. It also covers the shoe (and I put tape over it as well) but helps with the grip a ton: http://amzn.to/2iCEbt2
    • I shot 4800 shots in 4 days...
    • I wore my thinktank changeup the entire time and it was amazing! http://amzn.to/2wMfHDF When I had the 150-600 the last day it lived in the rear cooler/live well.
    • I shot a ton with my 70-300 and it really impresses me. The question I have is is it worth switching it and the 150-600 for a 100-400. That move would cost me ~$500. It would consolidate my kit to 1 long lens but it'll always be big/heavy. Right now the 70-300 is nice and small for travel and I LOVE it and when I need reach out comes the 150-600. But the 150-600 is massive (very hard to hand hold on a boat) and it also AFs slower... But it's native 600 @ f/6.3 where the 100-400 with 1.4 TC (which costs another $500!) would be 560mm and f/8... So I'm very torn. I want the native AF but the cost and weight make the 150-600 appealing still....
    • 70-300 keeper rate (focus) was amazing. Like 90% or more maybe? 150-600 keeper rate was maybe 50%. That's not including the poorly framed shots from being on a moving boat.
    • 100-400 would have OSS, the 150-600 doesn't in sony mount and it'd be nice for this type of shooting. It doesn't help the actual images (I need 1/1500th or more to not have motion blur from ME moving in the boat!) but it helps smooth the viewfinder out a ton...

I guess I should put the 150-600 on FF a bit and see how I like it there since that's basically how a 100-400 will feel on the crop bodies (where I'd use it). I don't want to give up the awesome reach the 600mm gives me for some lighthouse shots I've done with it but the TC and or using it on crop could get those shots... All things to consider...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#624.5...0,682.598,wd,t
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Nice points Ben.

After shooting some more scrapes lately I can say that I do miss having something like the D800 or even the A7. There is something to having FullFrame DR. The A6300 is good and all, but I can see the difference when trying the same PP techniques that I did with the other two cameras.

yep. It's subtle but it's there. The a6300 and a7ii are pretty darn close but the a7rii is a step up for sure.
    (yes I've shot them all side by side)
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I am going to wait patiently and see what Sony brings out in the next few months. A7RII used prices are getting at the $2000 level. I am sure in 6 months they will be a few $$$ less.

agreed. I'm also very curious. I don't need anything different than I have but if they did a baby a9 that was FF, 24mp, had the battery and say ~10fps with the joystick I might replace my a6000 with one? But I really have zero reasons to upgrade TBH. The biggest thing I'd like to upgrade right now is my a6000 to another a6300 so they're the same. They're close but the subtle difference can trip me up from time to time. Specifically the AF.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I ended up getting an FE 85 1.8 while waiting to see what comes out next month. I may have an A6300 up for sale later this year.

I was going through pics from the last few years and noticed I preffered the 85 on the D800 a lot, as well as the ROK 85 on the A7.

you'll love the 85. It's great on both sensors.
    yeah, very curious to see how these rumors pan out. I took the AA filter out of my a6000 to see if that would solve the green flair problem and it does NOT. But it does have some very interesting effects on foggy/hazy images.... I'll have to compare and share some later. Not sure what I want to do for a third camera. I'm using the a6000 for now but will eventually either get another a6300 or get another FF option. The a9 would be rad but it's too rich even for me. So a baby a9/a7iii might be a nice 'tweener?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum