+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Sony Thoughts....

Member#

FE50 for $199 vs SEL50OSS for $299 on the A6300? I am sure used pices will be less as well but comparable in the difference in new pricing.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

check amazon used? I have the new 50 non OSS version that I think is your first option. Granted I have IBIS in the a7rii but for me I shoot people at 1/125th anyway so it's not a huge help until I get to longer FLs. I like the new 50 but it is a bit noisy with it's AF motor. not terrible and it's so light and small I kept it and sold my 55...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Few sony thoughts...

Took mine out 4 days to the J boat world champs here in town last week:

• if you're going ANYWHERE near water, put those stupid hot shoe covers back on...
    • a very large power boat cut in front of our boat while my dad was looking at the boats sailing... We got SOAKED. Direct hit to my a6300 in my hands and my a6000 in my bag got wet. The a6000 is fine, the a6300 not so much. My exposed (because I've been using a mic on it lately) hot shoe is toast. I kinda get that as it's an electronic connector and I didn't have it's cover in place... But the top right wheel which SHOULD be sealed is now not working... I've got a local camera repair shop I'm taking it to tomorrow...
    • get these eye cups if you're shooting in bright light outside or any sort of action, they're great! (especially holding the camera to your face on a boat!): http://amzn.to/2wLUji5
    • here are spare hot shoe covers since I know we've all lost them... http://amzn.to/2wbfcBC
    • I also picked up the lensmate thumb grip for the a6300. It also covers the shoe (and I put tape over it as well) but helps with the grip a ton: http://amzn.to/2iCEbt2
    • I shot 4800 shots in 4 days...
    • I wore my thinktank changeup the entire time and it was amazing! http://amzn.to/2wMfHDF When I had the 150-600 the last day it lived in the rear cooler/live well.
    • I shot a ton with my 70-300 and it really impresses me. The question I have is is it worth switching it and the 150-600 for a 100-400. That move would cost me ~$500. It would consolidate my kit to 1 long lens but it'll always be big/heavy. Right now the 70-300 is nice and small for travel and I LOVE it and when I need reach out comes the 150-600. But the 150-600 is massive (very hard to hand hold on a boat) and it also AFs slower... But it's native 600 @ f/6.3 where the 100-400 with 1.4 TC (which costs another $500!) would be 560mm and f/8... So I'm very torn. I want the native AF but the cost and weight make the 150-600 appealing still....
    • 70-300 keeper rate (focus) was amazing. Like 90% or more maybe? 150-600 keeper rate was maybe 50%. That's not including the poorly framed shots from being on a moving boat.
    • 100-400 would have OSS, the 150-600 doesn't in sony mount and it'd be nice for this type of shooting. It doesn't help the actual images (I need 1/1500th or more to not have motion blur from ME moving in the boat!) but it helps smooth the viewfinder out a ton...

I guess I should put the 150-600 on FF a bit and see how I like it there since that's basically how a 100-400 will feel on the crop bodies (where I'd use it). I don't want to give up the awesome reach the 600mm gives me for some lighthouse shots I've done with it but the TC and or using it on crop could get those shots... All things to consider...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#624.5...0,682.598,wd,t
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Nice points Ben.

After shooting some more scrapes lately I can say that I do miss having something like the D800 or even the A7. There is something to having FullFrame DR. The A6300 is good and all, but I can see the difference when trying the same PP techniques that I did with the other two cameras.

yep. It's subtle but it's there. The a6300 and a7ii are pretty darn close but the a7rii is a step up for sure.
    (yes I've shot them all side by side)
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I am going to wait patiently and see what Sony brings out in the next few months. A7RII used prices are getting at the $2000 level. I am sure in 6 months they will be a few $$$ less.

agreed. I'm also very curious. I don't need anything different than I have but if they did a baby a9 that was FF, 24mp, had the battery and say ~10fps with the joystick I might replace my a6000 with one? But I really have zero reasons to upgrade TBH. The biggest thing I'd like to upgrade right now is my a6000 to another a6300 so they're the same. They're close but the subtle difference can trip me up from time to time. Specifically the AF.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I ended up getting an FE 85 1.8 while waiting to see what comes out next month. I may have an A6300 up for sale later this year.

I was going through pics from the last few years and noticed I preffered the 85 on the D800 a lot, as well as the ROK 85 on the A7.

you'll love the 85. It's great on both sensors.
    yeah, very curious to see how these rumors pan out. I took the AA filter out of my a6000 to see if that would solve the green flair problem and it does NOT. But it does have some very interesting effects on foggy/hazy images.... I'll have to compare and share some later. Not sure what I want to do for a third camera. I'm using the a6000 for now but will eventually either get another a6300 or get another FF option. The a9 would be rad but it's too rich even for me. So a baby a9/a7iii might be a nice 'tweener?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

A7R3.

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/25/son...r-5-5-stop-4k/

Inside the a7R III is a 42.4-megapixel back-illuminated full-frame Exmore R CMOS sensor. Despite its high megapixel count, the a7R III is fast with a continuous shooting speed of up to 10fps with full AF/AE tracking — this is twice as fast as the 5fps offered by the a7R II.
    The focusing system of the a7R III features 399 focal-plane phase-detection points that span 68% of the image area and 425 contrast AF points — this is 400 more contrast points than the a7R II, which had 25. The result of this upgrade is that the a7R III can lock in focus at about half the time in low-light situations compared to its predecessor, and tracking and Eye AF are 2 times as accurate and effective.
    Other specs and features include 14-bit RAW shooting (even in silent and continuous modes), a multi-selector joystick, a new low-vibration shutter, improved color reproduction of skin tones, an Anti-flicker function for consistent photos in fluorescent/artificial lighting, dual card slots, Wi-Fi, USB Type-C, and improved battery life with 2.2x the capacity.
    I hope they have this at PhotoExpo because I really want one. I'm curious about the 2.2x battery life and I like the joystick, better AF (in all using my A7R and it's a dog) and 4K video.

So, I'm very much on the fence. Here's my thing, it's the perfect desert island camera. IE ONE camera to rule them all. But I use a few cameras, especially when shooting video so I'm not 100% sold. I'd love the battery (from what I've heard the 2.2x is very conservative and people are getting THOUSANDS of shots from a charge). But the flip side is all my cameras use the SAME battery now. So carrying and charging two is a hassle when I think about it. I'd kill for a joystick, and the new customizations and menus as well. But what I have matches across 4 cameras (RX100, a6000, a6300, a7rii). I'd love 15 stops of DR. I'd love 1 stop less noise. I'd LOVE the better AF. It's better in low light and with eye af which would be great (both work well now but 2x faster is always better). 10fps isn't crucial as I use my a6300 when I want FPS but this would mean ONE body has ALL the specs I want? The pixel shift thing seems cool but I know from samples from other cameras it doesn't work well with water so it's not a slam dunk. I'd love it for arch work from the samples I'm seeing but it's got a .5 second minimum delay between shots. Then add bracketing in there and that's a LOT of time for a single image? You could merge one frame for water and one with high MP for details in post since the water doesn't need details typically... Dual card slots are nice but nothing I need. It was nice with my canon to shoot an entire wedding without changing cards or batteries and this camera is most likely in that same league... The faster write time is more beneficial as I often run into "writing to card" errors when trying to reply on arch shoots where I bracket.

I also wonder if it can take apps? The a9 CAN NOT! Which means to timelapse app (stuck going back to a timer remote release ).

Also, if you bought an a9 as the best compromise, say because you wanted the battery and joysticks and AF but don't need the FPS, those people are going to be PISSED!!!

I'm preordering one tomorrow for sure, then I'll hem and haw over it until late november and decide then. Although the a9 never went out of stock once they shipped I have a feeling these will be harder to get? Better all around camera AND a lower price.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Love the a6300 but now the price drop on the A7RII makes that appealing. Can get a used one for under $2k now. I really wish I would get paid by more image stealers...esp the offshore ones!

Actually, I was hoping for an A7III instead here. 24mp is damn fine for me, but would love that additional battery life. It is one thing that has killed me in the past.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by rkane View Post
    Love the a6300 but now the price drop on the A7RII makes that appealing. Can get a used one for under $2k now. I really wish I would get paid by more image stealers...esp the offshore ones!

Actually, I was hoping for an A7III instead here. 24mp is damn fine for me, but would love that additional battery life. It is one thing that has killed me in the past.
    I'm with you... I want a FF but as of right now 24MP is working great. I do not have a NEED for one, however a second body would be great and find myself leaning towards an A6300 or 6500 (touchscreen seems nice for landscape focusing)

unless I'm traveling more and will be printing/needing larger files I'll stick to the a6xxx series as it also doubles as a very capable video camera too. For me I'd rather guy a second body and a Mavic than a FF body then need to spend more for lens to as well. Just can not justify when I'm trying to minimize the gear I use.

Eric
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

I also don't need 42mp. I have an a7rii because it's focus is enough better than the a7ii's that I felt the additional price was worth it for weddings etc. I have some amazing images I shot with the a7ii, some of my favorites color wise, and they're printed massive (one is 4' wide on canvas over our bed).

and imagine if the a7iii had the pixel shift? But that'd put it too close to the a7riii IMHO... If it had that battery, joystick, menus and customization etc it'd be an amazing camera.

as for battery life, my thing is I have 7~8 of those batteries at this point. All my sony's except my RX100 use the same one. So I have spares and if I forget the spares somehow I can borrow one out of the other camera. I've heard the new battery is so good you won't need spares, but it's still not ideal to have to deal with another battery type. I have a nice charger at home that has interchangeable plates but it's had the normal sony plates on it 2-up for ~3 years?

of course once they put that battery into the a6x00 series then it'd be great to have all camera have that same battery...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

An A7ii with better AF, silent shutter, better IS is ideally what I want. Looking at FM, the $1800 offerings are very tempting for the A7RII since it has a good crop option.

Member#

So this nonsense about the A7R3 not supporting Sony's apps is pretty stupid. I wonder if they rewrote the camera OS or something and now the old apps don't work?

I'm trying to decide if that's a dealbreaker because the Sony timelapse app is the best timelapse solution I've ever used and I don't want to give it up and go back to an external intervalometer.

However, I do have https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-camera-remote coming soon so maybe that solves the problem?

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    So this nonsense about the A7R3 not supporting Sony's apps is pretty stupid. I wonder if they rewrote the camera OS or something and now the old apps don't work?

I'm trying to decide if that's a dealbreaker because the Sony timelapse app is the best timelapse solution I've ever used and I don't want to give it up and go back to an external intervalometer.

However, I do have https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-camera-remote coming soon so maybe that solves the problem?
    I LOVE the timelapse App (except for the fact that if you stop it in the middle of it, you lose it FML) and how they are saved to a weird part of your memory cards but otherwise for function and production it is great!
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by tehshortbus View Post
    how they are saved to a weird part of your memory cards
    What do you mean? Mine save in the same directory I think?

The video is saved in a weird folder but the stills are in the normal folder I think?

I'll be selling my a7riii for a tad under $1800 I'd bet. Make offers! I've got the RRS L-bracket, the cheap amazon l-bracket, the cheap amazon grip and the real sony grip. None of that is in the price but deals can be had!

For me the loss of the apps isn't crucial on my big camera because I don't use them there. I use them on the a6300 all the time. Also I've read somewhere that the app store was hacked and it allowed people to record for longer times and also change regions. There are some rumors that's why they ditched it... #thisiswhywecan'thavenicethings
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

So ****ing fix the app store so you can't hack it? Apple didn't cancel the iPhone just because it was jailbroken.

Also OMFG the horror of people being able to record for longer. How in the world would Sony ever deal with that.

I'll be curious to hear what Sony guy has to say about the lack of an app store tomorrow.

ok, so watch this around 7:37:

I noticed the 1fps before but basically that outputs a timelapse. Funny the booth guys and not even Colby mentioned this as a solution, but it sounds like you can do timelapses this way? Not sure if you can use slow shutter speeds or if the shutter speed has to fit within that 1s interval but it's something... yes it's not ideal but it might work?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    ok, so watch this around 7:37:

I noticed the 1fps before but basically that outputs a timelapse. Funny the booth guys and not even Colby mentioned this as a solution, but it sounds like you can do timelapses this way? Not sure if you can use slow shutter speeds or if the shutter speed has to fit within that 1s interval but it's something... yes it's not ideal but it might work?

This is awesome to know that it is on the a6500 because I'll never own the above camera. Second, and more importantly you introduced me to a vlogger that fun to watch and cute, when looking into gear info.

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

peachy was introduced via neistat for me. She did a "how to vlog like Casey" blog and he saw it and shared it. That blew her up, she's now a 24/7 youtuber a year later...

Here's another sony demo of S&Q on the a9:

it shows the 1fps mode AND the 120fps mode. It does NOT show if slower frame rates are available in the 1fps mode so I'll have to play with one to find out. There's a LOT of examples on youtube if you look for the a9 and a6500 with both modes FYI. I couldn't find anyone who was trying to get slow shutter speeds with 1fps so I'll have to wait to get one and try it.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

here's some sony documentation on S&Q mode: http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1650/v...001211742.html
    again, 1fps ~ 120fps but no mention of shutter speeds.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Interesting. So that might work ok for 1s intervals and shutter speeds below 1s, but it won't help for 1.3" shutter speeds, etc. So it's kind of a fix but not a solution IMO?

it's a dedicated mode on the dial FYI, so I'm hoping they figured this was a replacement for the old app. From having used a lot of different FPS cameras in my day the one thing I know is typically the shutter speed has to be 1/2 ish the frame rate. So if a frame rate is 1/second the shutter probably would be in the 1/2s range to have time to do the rest of the bits the camera has to do. That's old school FPS and apply math for ~10fps to 1fps though and this camera has an electronic shutter and they could have just meant there's a 1s gap not 1fps. They're different but to be put into the same mode they're obviously going to use the same naming conventions (for better or worse). So until I can get my hands on one we won't know.

There's a change you have 1 shutter with a second delay between each one. That would allow 10s (or whatever).
    There's a better chance it has to TAKE the image and have a 1s cycle for everything meaning the shutter speed has to be <1s.

I wish I'd known this BEFORE expo so I could have tried it there. It'll be super easy to prove, I just need a camera in hand. One of my biggest gripes with sony is they love to launch **** the week of the show. It makes sense budget wise because they don't have to fly everyone to TWO events. But because this was announced on Wednesday, presold on thursday and we were in the car friday I had zero time to think about it or look info up online so I could know what I wanted to try at the show...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

That's one of the reasons I liked the timelapse app though - it could do a .8" exposure with a 1s interval without any trouble. That's what all the other intervalometers struggled with, as well.

yeah, I'm just trying to say that could still work, won't know until we have one in hands. W/o anyone showing us one way or the other we're left assuming. There's a chance it'll work so I've got my fingers crossed.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

dpreview has a comparison with pixel shift and without. Pretty good results with it! https://www.dpreview.com/news/564575...nt=buffer77512

The other thing they mention is that adobe is going to also support pixel shift "eventually" so that will be rad. The .5s delay between shots PLUS exposure time means movement isn't going to work but I'm hoping to be able to mask parts without motion in from a single image... What moves generally doesn't need detail so it could work well? IE water or clouds in landscapes.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ok, so I got pro support while at expo. You used to need to full frame cameras to qualify but they let me in when I said I had the a7riii on pre-order. I had to confirm serial #s on all my gear but just put down TBD for the a7riii and got in. Sent the a7rii off for cleaning and to have the rear screen replaced on monday. Got an email today that it's on the way back already! I actually would have arrived Friday (and actually tomorrow w/o the holiday) but I had them hold it to ship monday since we won't be home this weekend and there's no point in it riding around on a fedex truck for a few extra days.

second interesting point. My a7riii order went from "backordered" to "processing" today? It hasn't shipped but maybe soonish? I know europe and china have had shipments... Brian Smith also posted that he knows some big retailers have received their orders so....
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Sweet!

a7riii is here!!!

It actually arrived yesterday. Funny thing it's battery was basically dead (no bars left) and let me set the time and region before demanding to be charged last night. I was able to use it plugged in via the micro USB (the USB-C won't power/charge it ) so I couldn't play that much. I setup the buttons and menus a bit. This AM I got to play with it more and had it side by side the a7rii. The AF is stupidly quick. It's amazing how far they've come (I remember getting the a7rii and being blown away with it's AF for a mirrorless and really feeling mirrorless had finally caught up/passed my old 5Diii). The new button layout will take some getting used to but it's much better. It's weird having a joystick though after getting so used to using the 4-way! AF is almost creepy now how quick it is. Eye AF will also lock on a face w/o any eye in the frame which is nice (old eye AF would just not AF if there was no eye so you'd have to switch to the other button however you had it setup). The EVF and screen are better but I wasn't as blown away as some others have reported as it was good enough on the a7rii. I will say the colors on the screen look nicer/more natural. I'm curious to see if the files are as well but there's no adobe support yet. The micro switch in the LCD screen (so it won't try to switch to the EVF) is nice. The battery is comically large considering the body it goes into! It's bigger than a canon 5Diii battery!!! The buffering display is a nice touch and you can actually use the camera while it's buffering. It's much quicker in how it plays back and writes etc (now I need more UHS-II cards though, I had one 32gb card from my X-T1 days).

More to come as I use it more. I'm playing around with it more than shooting with it because of the lacking adobe support for now. You can hack the files with exifviewer but that's a PITA. Sony has an option that you need for pixel shift anyway so I'll give that a go.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Awesome. Given the body size hasn't increased, I wonder if they could make an A6000-style body with a smaller battery and most of the same camera parts?

like full frame? There's a rumor about that but who knows if that'll happen.

The "a6700" thoughts I have:
    • bigger buffer
    • ~15fps
    • battery from the a9/a7riii (grip will get bigger but won't be bigger than a lens so it's just easier to hold)
    • joystick
    • new menus & my menus (no apps )
    • IBIS (like the 6500)
    • touch screen (like the a6500)
    • grip option?
    • maybe a flip down or sideways screen for "vlogging" etc (like the a5100/RX100)
    • faster AF (AF gets faster every time).
    • UHS-II memory cards (does the a6500 have this?)
    • more FPS video modes, 240, maybe 560 and 9whatever?

As I said when the a7riii/a9 came out, I love and hate the new battery because I now have 2 types. If they make a a6x00 with the new battery I'll likely switch to it just for that. It just makes life so much easier. I never upgraded my a6300 though so we'll see if they make something compelling to switch. I love my small bodies I just didn't feel the need to spend a6500 money for touch screen and slightly better AF when the 6300 (and my 6000) are so good.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Ben, you can download the trial of Capture One Pro 11. It already has A7r3 support. I would imagine Adobe will have LR support by the time the 30 day trial on C1 is up.

oh, and for the a7riii, the different horizontal and vertical AF points option? yeah, it's there but it's called "swt. V/H AF area".
    it's on camera1 (red) tab, page 5/14.

And yes the menus are "better", things are clustered better and there are labels for each tab and pages within tabs. But there's still way too much crap all over the place IMHO. But My Menu solves that. And everything I want can be in the Fn menu (I wish we could have 3 rows). AND!!! The my menu is there and awesome and I can put as much stuff as I want on as many pages as I want/need so that's nice as well. I could go to just my menu -vs- FN if I "need" those more options but I think I'll dial my Fn menu down and get rid of some of the things I've had on there that are also available on custom buttons (Drive, ISO, etc).

It'll take a while to dial it in but I'll get there.

oh, on other weird/difference thing. With the a7rii there was a C3 button above the AEL/AF/MF switch button combo. That C3 button was my zoom in in live view button and the AEL/AF/MF switch button was my eye focus and AF button. Now the C3 button is "af-on" which I'm using for AF on but the switch/button combo is replaced by the joystick... The joystick CAN be a button so I might use it but for now I'm using the new C3 button on the left for live view zoom. The issue there is the AF-on button is the default mag in playback button so I'm going back and forth and getting it wrong a bit. I'll probably adjust, the other option is figuring out other options for button layouts. The truth is for landscapes I need magnify and AF, for everything else I need AF and Eye AF so Maybe I can get that working with the custom modes. It's not a problem, it's just re-learning new buttons/options and finding the best way to make it make sense to me and or just get used to it.

I think the bigger thing for me is the AF-on and AEL buttons are pretty far apart and higher up on the body and it feels like I'm reaching for them right now. My fingers need to learn where they are! IMHO they could have fit a third button in there in the back and it would be fine with me (and fix my issue with wanting 3 functions).

oh, and personally I LOVE the new shutter noise. Quieter and more "snappy".
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum