+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Thoughts....

yeah, and IBIS is just magic IBIS, it works, if you want it you'll love it but it's not really something you need to test. It's either something you need/want and will love or it's not. For me it's not. I shoot over 1/125th for anything with people or from my tripod. My videos are all tripod based. About the only place it'll be nice is when I occasionally chase the kids with a camera shooting video... But I'd never buy a camera with it just for that spec.

Otherwise, the a6000 sensor is pretty darn close to the a7 sensor honestly. 24mp for both. The a7 is a stop better ISO wise but that's about it. The a6000 has better AF but it works exactly the same as the a7 and similar to the others. The menus are the same. I don't hesitate on the a6000 body format. It's like my NEX5 before it but with an EVF and it's an amazing little body. The lenses work really well on it. Sony basically threw all form out of the design and went all function but it works REALLY well. Plus the 10-18mm is tiny -vs- the 10-24 for fuji or the 16-35 for FE. Basically it's a different viewfinder layout more than anything. It's very similar to the XE2 -vs- XT1 comparison.

To be 100% honest I was looking at sony's E mount lenses (crop lenses) and that's what pushed me to consider the switch. They have ALL the lenses fuji had already. Their full frame lenses are behind but their crop lineup is there. You can use the crop lenses on the FF bodies in crop mode. So the a7r becomes ~15mp, the a7/a7ii becomes ~10mp and the a7s becomes ~5mp. Not ideal but it's meant I can switch to sony now from fuji and I have my 35/85 pair by using the 24e and 55fe both in crop mode. I then use the 55fe in full frame mode as well. Yes I'm throwing away the MP when doing this which is why I went with the 16-35mm asap but for my people shots (even weddings) we're not worried about MP, just focus and clean (ISOs) files. Not sure how a 5mp file will go over but we shot our 5Diiis in 10mp mRAW1 mode. I'll be getting the 28mm as soon as it's out this spring which that and the 55 are close enough if I stick with the a7s I can get what I need. I'll add an 85mm rok for weddings too. MF on long lenses is easy enough with these cameras and peaking. I hate doing it with kids but it's actually easier at a wedding.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

A6000 flares though which would be a major issue for me.

yeah. It makes a hell of a second/sports/crop/tele body though (why I have one).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

I wonder if it would be possible to remove the AA filter and if that would stop the issue?

I'm struggling with a tele decision... I've gone back to these shots to see what FLs I typically use:

60mm on crop/90mm on FF

Sunset over dutch island light by benjacobsen, on Flickr

80/120

Point Judith Light by benjacobsen, on Flickr

175/263

Newport Bridge Sunset 4/1/2014 by benjacobsen, on Flickr

175/263

Caribbean 600 by benjacobsen, on Flickr

185/280

Sakonnet Light by benjacobsen, on Flickr

200/300

Watch Hill Sunrise by benjacobsen, on Flickr

400/600

Plum Beach Light by benjacobsen, on Flickr

the first three could all be done with either a 55-210 zoom (on crop only) or a 70-200 using the two cameras (bigger, heavier, more expensive but "better"). The last image needs the tamron 150-600. I owned that lens for 2 weeks and shot with it that ONE day. It's VERY slow to AF but it allows things not possible with any other option. The other issue with the 150-600 is no IS if I get the sony mount -or- even slower AF by getting the canon version which keeps usable IS via a metabones but the AF speed drops... But that lens with an adapter is close in price to the native 70-200 FE.

With fuji the 55-200 was a great pair/trio with the 10-24 (pair) and 18-55 (trio). But I swapped that for the 18-135 to force a pair but also because their 140-400 was coming. The 140-400 is basically the same thing as the 150-600. It's basically a decision as to how much weight do I want to carry -vs- money to spend -vs- how often I actually use long focal lengths...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

How about the Canon 100-400 w/ metabones? The lens goes for $900 used plus latest metabones is around $320.

I am seriously on the fence for getting an A6000/50mm 1.8 combo. This would pair nicely with the A7/35. Need to act fast as the trip is in < 2 weeks.

Member#

Oh and I finally did the Firmware update on the A7. I had to use VMWare Fusion on the iMac running Win7 and it worked perfectly.

Startup time is much better and I do notice some better focusing, esp in lowlight. Not a lot, but there is a difference. Now if they had only included the X-AVCS Codec like they did on the A77ii, I would be a happy camper.

yeah, exactly Shawn. The 100-400 isn't a bad idea but for the same money I think I'd rather have a 150-600 and get the sony adapter that makes it AF quickly. With the a7ii I keep IS via the IBIS (but how good will it be at 600mm?). And it should in theory focus very quickly that way.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Soooo "FE" wide angles? My 24-70 can be adapted to E mount and would cover the full frame sensor. My 10-20 would not. MF doesn't bother me, especially with the focus peaking but are there other alternatives to the $$$ Sony 16-35? There are a bunch of Rok wide angle lenses but they were all made for E mount so I'm guessing they don't cover the full frame.

Just trying to figure out total cost of the switch before I commit.

Rok wides will work as long as they cover a full frame. Basically rok was too lazy to make their lenses truly mirrorless (smaller and cover only what they need), so any lens that's made for FF that is in a E mount is a FE mount really and covers the full frame. IE the 14, 24, 35, 50 and 85 all cover full frame. The 8, 12 and whatever else are crop only. Sony's 10-18mm also covers the full frame from about 12-16mm (I'm bringing one tomorrow for you to try). The cheapest FF option adapter would probably be canon's 17-40L? It's ~$500 used I think and not a bad lens. A metabones adapter is $150 I think? Maybe less? You need one with the electronics intact so it can stop the lens down for you. It'll actually AF for you as well if you care (I MF landscapes) but it's "slow" from what I've read. Tamron or tokina has a 16-35mm option as well but it's got the bulbous front element that makes it not take filters. I'd go 17-40L as the budget wide to start then add a e-mount rok 14mm if you want/need wider.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I am loving the Rok 14 and now ESP the 85! The later I wuold love to use on the A7s with the really lowlight I have been shooting in here.

Member#

So this: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014...sony-a7-mk-ii/

particularly this section:

In the five hours that we spent with the A7 Mk II, we didn’t see any major and completely mind blowing differences that would make us sell our Sony A7 cameras just yet. But we have much more in-depth testing to do. We will keep you all informed as things continue to progress.
    is making me think that the A7R might actually be a better option than the A72 even if the money weren't better...

dude, for you the a7r is better. It is for scapes and arch. The a7ii beats the a7 only because it's got no ghost flare (and any review site that doesn't pick up on that is worthless IMHO). The a7r is also better at high ISOs than the a7. Not sure on the a7ii as the sites that test that crap haven't done the a7ii yet. Basically the a7ii is a better all around camera because of it's AF and IBIS (if you need it). The a7r is the better sensor. If the a7r had the a7/a7s/a7ii AF that would be my camera. It's just not up to task for wedding work in low light basically.

If I had the money I'd go with the pair of the a7r and a7s honestly. Because I can't afford both, 12mp seems like a bit too little for scapes and arch? The a7ii also AFs well enough for me and has clean enough 6400 and maybe even 12800 that it's not worth the extra $500 to get the ISOs from the s.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by rkane View Post
    I am loving the Rok 14 and now ESP the 85! The later I would love to use on the A7s with the really lowlight I have been shooting in here.
    Are you insinuating India is still in the dark ages?
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by tbert View Post
    Are you insinuating India is still in the dark ages?
    Damn Sister in Law keeps turning the lights down at the club when our kids are performing!

I have to say that parts of where I am is further back then the dark ages, then the rickshaw dudes pull out cellphones and I get a chuckle. Waiting for beggars to do that.

Member#

on PayPal. Excited for this.

I've got some lens shopping to do now.

Member#

So looking at adapters. I have a Sigma 24-70 F mount that I bought from Jeff that I would love to use on the Sony. Am I correct in thinking that with this adapter http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mount_nex.html it would work? Sigma has a mechanical aperture ring, which I prefer for timelapses anyway, and from what I can tell there isn't a way to get the AF on the A7R to drive the lens. SO a manual adapter shouldn't be a problem?

Should be good. Metabones makes nice adapters as well. You can get cheaper ones but they can be loose and annoying.

Member#

Yeah I had a crappy Chinese adapter the last time I had a NEX and it sucked.

not sure about AF with nikon lenses. I'd bet if it has a screw drive it won't work though, no matter what. Canon EF lenses will AF with the correct meta bones adapter for reference. But that adapter WILL work with your lens for sure in terms of mounting. It's got a mechanical aperture so you're set there.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

As the one lens I want to work more than any other, 25mm Zeiss m-mount, has issues in the corners, this is pertinent to my interests: putting in a thinner filter on an A7R. Here are some tests by the guy at Lensrentals and Digilloyd is supposedly working on pics as well. I might do it.

Member#

GAS whores get ready! if this rumor holds water, this is gonna be appealing

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-a...eeks-from-now/
    It's not the thrill of the shoot....It's the thrill of the chaise.
    Dan's Flickr

Member#

Andy, but the A7r doesn't have a filter. Does it just have a thick piece of glass, and would this also be AA removal for A7/A7s? If this indeed works, the Voigtlander 15mm could also be an option.
    Last edited by ppower; 01-19-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danm View Post
    GAS whores get ready! if this rumor holds water, this is gonna be appealing

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-a...eeks-from-now/
    Oh, I wonder how crazy the changes will be... thinner sensor stack height maybe? Having IS would be useful but I don't know if it would be enough for me to want to change. I have slight body ergonomic issues with the camera but that really is about all of my complaining about the body. The problem is lenses, lenses, lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by ppower View Post
    Andy, but the A7r doesn't have a filter. Does it just have a thick piece of glass, and would this also be AA removal for A7/A7s? If this indeed works, the Voigtlander 15mm could also be an option.
    Yeah, the A7R's problem is just the thick UV filter on it. The guy at Lens Rentals has done a couple articles about the sensor stack thickness and the problems resulting. If this makes all of the m-mount glass work on the A7R then it would make most of my complaining about lens choices go away. I still want lenses built for the camera so the focus/zoom feature works as well as keeping the aperture open for focusing. However until then I will mostly be fine.

I don't know if this would also work with the A7/s but that would be great if it did.

I'm curious to see where they go with the a7rII/a9. I'm pretty happy with the a7ii to be honest (for me). For straight up landscapes it'd be hard to not buy the super cheap a7r right now. But if they bump up the MP it'll tempt me eventually in terms of wanting something for crazy MP landscapes....

If I could afford 2 of these bodies I've always said the second would be a high MP option setup full time for landscapes...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

here's a nice a6000 a7ii landscape comparison:
    http://admiringlight.com/blog/sony-a...landscape-use/

I will say having done some very brief and quick and dirty comparisons myself... I didn't find them quite that close. The biggest difference I see in my own files (and to an extent his as well) is in the details/sharpness where the a7ii is better. I'm wondering how much better the 12mm samyang prime he has is -vs- the 10-18mm I've got? Either way there's no denying the a6000 is a hell of a body on a budget and in a small package. I'm torn on selling the 10-18mm honestly because they make such an amazing and SMALL package... The issue I have is the green flare that the a6000 has and it's a duplicated range. Will that size and weight difference ever matter (hiking perhaps)?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

used both sonys outside in the blizzard Tuesday. First off the a7ii catches snowflakes in the eyecup super easy which switches it to EVF mode (from rear LCD).
    it's AF with the 55mm was also pretty slow and missed quite a bit in the snow (dumping relatively).
    the a6000 was fast and snappy and never once caught a flake...
    I had the 24mm on the a6000 which of course is an easier lens to AF fast anyway so I'm not sure the speed difference proves much (and I wasn't going to swap outside in a storm).
    but yeah, the catching of flakes and the physical shape of where that sensor is on the a7ii is almost too protected? I couldn't even blow the flake out...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    First off the a7ii catches snowflakes in the eyecup super easy which switches it to EVF mode (from rear LCD).
    I get this all the time. That sensor is awfully sensitive. You get any sort of crap near there and the EVF is the only way. And, yes, like you say later it is impossible to clean it off.

And while we are on that topic, every camera with an EVF that I've used has had a real problem with light sealing against your face. On SLRs I get a big, rubber threaded eyecup and it blocks out all the light. However with every EVF they take weird shape eyecups that nobody makes replacements for as well as have weird locations for that sensor so you can't easily retrofit one. Shooting out in the snow in bright daylight is often less wonderful than it could be.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I get this all the time. That sensor is awfully sensitive. You get any sort of crap near there and the EVF is the only way. And, yes, like you say later it is impossible to clean it off.

And while we are on that topic, every camera with an EVF that I've used has had a real problem with light sealing against your face. On SLRs I get a big, rubber threaded eyecup and it blocks out all the light. However with every EVF they take weird shape eyecups that nobody makes replacements for as well as have weird locations for that sensor so you can't easily retrofit one. Shooting out in the snow in bright daylight is often less wonderful than it could be.

Fuji's is awesome, even when my glasses are on I can still "seal" the light out well.
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

^ yeah, what he said. Fuji offers 2 options for the XT1 and the bigger option is amazing.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

so the lens adapter and the 150-600 seem to be a bit hit or miss? Sometimes I get aperture control and AF, other times it's "dumb"? I've figured out if I twist the pair in the direction that's to mount it "more" (if that makes sense) it works better where if you twist it in the removal direction it's more likely to fail... But this is a BIG lens I don't really want to have to worry about that with? I'm thinking I'm going to return both while I can (both bought used via amazon). Not sure if I'll look at a 70-200 or a 24-240? Ideally I'd go with a 70-300 but with the adapter already being flaky I think I'm done with adapters.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Sony claims current FE lenses are ready for 50 MP sensors. I say, "they better be!"

can't push such rapid increase in resolution without optics that can keep up already being in place.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says-current-fe-lenses-can-resolve-future-50-megapixel-resolution-sensors/
    It's not the thrill of the shoot....It's the thrill of the chaise.
    Dan's Flickr

Member#

24-70 already cannot, so he's already lying. I still see no need for 50mp. I would rather them do 25 and improve ISO further.

Quote Originally Posted by ppower View Post
    24-70 already cannot, so he's already lying.
    This exactly. I could probably believe the 35 and 55. I'm actually alright with 36mpix and the high ISO I'm getting. I really want better DR. For a while I was playing with slight HDR and making 32bit files. My god were they incredibly fun to play with. I would really love a true 16 bit file. Failing that, how about we dump the lossy compression?

Here is one of the HDR ones:

The Angry Clouds of Geauga County by Andy Henry Photo, on Flickr

Member#

I can't imagine Canon shooters dealing with their limited DR. I thought we already had enough mp, and the forefronts to be pushed were to be iso and DR. MP and ISO are as good as film or better, but DR still lag . Work on that, people! Make it better than film.

Yeah, I can agree I'd rather see ISO and DR gains than MP, but looking at larger files after shooting nothing but fuji for over a year is refreshing. 24mp isn't a big step really but 36mp and no AA filter sure has a ton more detail -vs- a typical fuji file. The fuji files still printed fine, at least for me, but yeah, once you go to 36mp there's a clear difference. 50mp would be ZOMG Also, if they followed canon's old progress steps you'd gain 1 stop DR, 1 stop ISO, and you'd go up in MP... So if we got 50mp AND a bump in DR and ISO why not. But sony's got 3 different bodies now. I could see them pushing DR and ISOs as far as possible with the a7s as it goes forward (since more resolution doesn't help a video body). Then the a7ii is the middle of the road compromise. And the a7r/a9 will be the MP king where DR is also important but ISOs less so...

and yes, 16mbit files would be great please!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

cold-blooded internet insult machine Markitos's Avatar
    Member#

Dpreview just put out their A7s review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-7-s/15

I thought this part was particularly interesting:
    The a7S is the best low-light performer of the bunch, but it's not unique in its high ISO abilities - when comparisons are normalized to the same viewing size, even higher resolution cameras offer competitive low light performance, while cameras like the Nikon D750 and D4S offer virtually identical ISO performance up to their maximum ISO offerings.
    “Sharpness is a Bourgeois concept.” -- Henri Cartier-Bresson

yeah, that was the thing for me. I had one for a month... It was cool. But it's more expensive than the a7 and a7r. The a7r is the champ of that trio for IQ. MP when you want it and downsample to 12mp and it's ISOs are still great. The pisser is the a7 has the AF but it's ISOs are worse even though it's MP is less. The a7ii is the all around champ because it has IQ the a7 doesn't and the best AF. Still not quite with the a7r (ISOs are maybe caught up but MP/details aren't).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Just got back from a work trip to DC. Same conference as last year in Orlando. Took the a6000, 10-18, 24 and 55 with my small tripod. Went with the a6000 because it's that much smaller and LOVED it for that reason... I might not sell the 10-18mm for this very purpose. It's such a tiny package for what it can do and this is the lens type I shoot most often with... Used the 24mm a few times for super low light and didn't touch the 55mm. I could have used a longer zoom a few times and will look into one for travel like this (the 16-50PZ is certainly a candidate because it's tiny and I own it). I also had a peak strap which is AWESOME for a strap, but we jogged around a few places to catch public transportation and I had to hold it while on the move. I need to get my spider setup working as it would have been the better option....

Also, one on the a7ii from shooting ski racing with it thursday ~10 days ago now. The new SD card door location SUCKS when working with gloves!!! I can't tell you how many times I popped it open... I was initially switching between the 2 cameras a bunch and stopped just because each time I'd set it down (hang it from the strap) it would open... In the end the a6000 AFs faster and shoots faster AND doesn't have this issue so I just used it for ALL the outside work...

I own this joint!
    gear list.

I need to shoot my a7ii more landscape wise... Why? Because I keep falling in love with my damn a6000. I need to remind myself not to just switch to an all aps-c sony kit! I've shot both side by side and the a7ii is nicer and I know I'll keep it, it's just that the a6000 is that good and a lot smaller. If it weren't for the green flare issue with the a6000 I might be able to convince myself it's smaller size makes it the right answer all around. If they make an aps-c body without the green flare I might be sold... Then again a rangefinder styled FF option would also win me over.

CNs I like small cameras/bodies (that's why I went EVIL in the first place) and the a6000 is a hell of a camera...

I'm the other way on the RX100. I need to shoot and process some more pics first. But it's almost too small? The buttons are just tiny on the back -vs- the a6000 and a7ii (which have the same size buttons). I like the lack of a cap I can lose. I don't like the power button. I'd love an on/off switch around the shutter but that's zoom (which the ring around the lens can also do, I wish they'd let me configure it). I got the grip which is a must. Like I said it drops in a jacket pocket super easy which was great for skiing. Never felt it. If you run the numbers through a DOF calculator it's got the same DOF as the 16-50 PZ on the a6000 basically in a smaller package. The downside is it's yet another battery to maintain...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

The only issue I had with the RX100 was the dynamic range. If you had to pull up something a couple stops it looked pretty crappy. It just wasn't in the same league as the Fujis or the older APSC Sonys I had. But for the size it is hard to beat. Especially with the built in lens cap. Lord I would love to have one of those on the X100.

My dream would be if they would make the lens faster even at the expense of killing the zoom. Just a 28mm effective at f/1.4 or... to dream 1.2 to try to claw back some DOF control with such a wide lens/small sensor. It could give my X100T a run then just on portability. But then again I keep reading rumblings that Ricoh may be coming out with a new GR. If it has a viewfinder then I am done.

the rumor of a smaller x100 has promise. I wish the x100t had XE style buttons/layout and I'd be more tempted. I've always liked that body and it's IQ... The ricoh was nice. Tiny. APS-C. But mine had dust under the sensor and some AF issues (bought used) so I returned it. I might revisit if I don't love the RX100. I will say after my initial import the RX100 is impressing me... And it's DOF is thin if you get close enough so far.

another thought/dream I had is about pancake/power zoom primes. How nice would it be if sony/fuji made some pancakes that collapsed in on themselves when you turned them off? The RX's lens is massive when out but tiny when in. I know interchangeable changes a lot/some of this ability but still. Sony's 24mm or 55mm could be half their size if they did this and potentially have a built in lens cap? That would be epic but on the camera I already own with a larger sensor...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    How nice would it be if sony/fuji made some pancakes that collapsed in on themselves when you turned them off? The RX's lens is massive when out but tiny when in. I know interchangeable changes a lot/some of this ability but still. Sony's 24mm or 55mm could be half their size if they did this and potentially have a built in lens cap? That would be epic but on the camera I already own with a larger sensor...
    That is a great point and they should still do that on an interchangeable system. I mean there are tons of rangefinder lenses that collapse.

a7rii rumors? Yeah, I might be tempted if it's got the same everything else as the a7ii and just more MP this time around... Rumor has it it'll have better AF (the same as the a7ii?), better ISOs (and it beat the a7 before), IBIS, the new body, the old 36mp sensor but most importantly the silent shutter (at least first curtain)!!! I'll wait for the a9 announcement and the potential a6000 shaped FF option before I consider switching but it has me thinking. If I could have 36mp with the lack of shutter bounce and good low light AF I'd switch to it and it would cement my lens options a bit more I think (24 and 55 both used in crop mode).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

At this point I would kind of like the IBIS but not enough to switch. If they end up with a better sensor stack that plays better with wide angle lenses, then I will switch at once. Man I wish they could put out lenses as fast as they put out bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Man I wish they could put out lenses as fast as they put out bodies.
    +1

B&H emailed me yesterday that the 28 hadn't shipped yet. Their site is saying May now.
    (I already have my 24-240).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

28mm shipped...
    it'll be here monday...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

dear sony, your firmware updates SUCK! DL from their site, they're 200mb+. Then you have to install via USB?
    2000 called, they mentioned something about putting updates on memory cards and just turning the damn camera on...

that said there are updates for both my a6000 and a7ii for the new lenses so I'm doing that and hoping for better exposure and WB results.

oh, and apparently zeiss has a new sony "a7r" that's not 36mp...
    Girl #1 by Carl Zeiss Lenses, on Flickr

that file is 50+mp...

but yeah, other rumors say the a7rii will have 36mp but will have a new raw engine (maybe 14 bit?) and better ISOs and AF and a silent shutter. I'm curious to see what they come up with. I'd love an a7r that can be watered down to less MP (without having to go to crop mode) that has an electronic shutter (first curtain a must, both ideal) and improved ISOs. I might switch back from the a7ii if that happened... I could also see the 50mp option being the "a9". Time will tell.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Agree on the Damn Firmware updates! So much easier on the Nikons!

I am so happy thought about the startup on the A7! So much faster!

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum