+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Thoughts....

The EVF on the Sony is a .71X which is like a Canon 5d. The XT1 is huge at .77x which is like a 1dx. I really haven't had a huge problem with it though.

But I've been using the Hasselblad recently and there is a viewfinder. Everything else looks like peeking through a keyhole. I mean. So I've been told. Not done that of course.

Moving on...

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

So, maybe similar to the difference between the X-E2 and X-T1?

The A7's EVF (I assume all three are the same?) is between the 2 size modes on the XT1. It's bigger than the XE2. It's big enough where I almost need to search to find the corners in the XT1, there's right there with the a7. Lets just say it's not too small (which the XE2 and a6000 both are to me now, great when you need them but not as big as I'd like). I will say the sony seems to lag behind a bit in showing me what the exposure will actually look like when I press the shutter? IE if I'm at +3EV and know it's going to blow the highlights the EVF isn't showing me super white highlights? I haven't used it enough to really test this though so that might not be true, but it's my initial impression. I do agree that the peeking is better with the sony. Also, MF with sony lenses is MUCH better. I know you use other lenses bobby so that's less of an issue for you, but when you need to MF a sony lens there's no delay and you'd almost think it wasn't drive by wire... almost... The rear button AF layout is also much nicer if you want to do that. With fuji the back button AF doesn't use PDAF (it will with the december firmware though).

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post
    How are the A7/r/s high iso performance compared to the XT1?
    low light AF and high ISOs are the 2 biggest reasons I'm considering the switch. Go here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a7/17
    the a7 is already loaded (it the a7 review), add in the a7s, a7r and then the XT1. The fuji does a GREAT job dealing with chroma noise all the way through 6400 but you see the details drop out (I'm looking at the RAW file option which is done with ACR, aka how I actually process my own files). The a7 and a7r are pretty similar to my eye. The a7s is basically 2 stops beyond the a7/a7r to have equal noise to my eye? IE 6400 on the twins is 51200 on the a7s?

and that's what I keep coming back to. The a7s has everything I want except resolution for prints. But is 12mp enough? 16mp has been fine so far with fuji. Arguably the sony files at 12mp could be better than fujis at 12mp when using adobe products? 24mp would have been the happy medium but it's out. So do I go for the $800 cheaper 36mp option? Or the most expensive least MP option to get the ISOs, silent shutter and better in low light AF?

I just wish the a7r had the a7 AF and shutter. Then I'd be all set. And I still wonder if sony could (and or would) add an electronic shutter to it via firmware? Fuji's doing exactly that with theirs, but sony doesn't do as many firmware updates AND I wonder if that'd be possible on just any camera of if there's hardware in place with the fujis? But if it's really only an issue on long lenses AND only between 1s and 1/125th that's really not an issue for me. My scapes are all in the 2s+ range AND at wide angles. My people shots are all at 1/125th so I should be OK there as well. I'm curious to see though.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

I tried to get the shutter shake on the A7R but I just couldn't see it. Digilloyd did a big thing on it but his examples really didn't look like much to me. Maybe I'm not seeing what everyone is saying. But that said, he hasn't been harping on that anymore and is testing tons of lenses on there now. So I don't know.

A good 12mpix might be alright. I just printed a couple pics that I took with the original X100 at 12X18 and they look fine right up close. One of the shots that I took with that infernal Sigma was a big crop on it. I printed that at 8X12 and it looks awesome. It makes me want to get an A7S just to try the lenses I have now on it and see what the pics look like. I just keep thinking that we have to be getting close where the sensors really aren't the limiting factor any more and we are just seeing the character of the lens.

Member#

Very interesting. I'll have to grab a cheap adapter and go have a look through one of the Sonys with one of my lenses. The A7s iso performance and 12mp would be perfect for my shooting/printing. But $$$$

And here is an interesting take from Thom Hogan. I tend to agree with him in the large part but I really think, like always, decisions of this kind really just depend on how you use them.

^ his bullet points are mostly spot on. But here's the thing, there are sacrifices with any camera kit. Once you're willing to admit that you have to choose the kit that best matches what you need/want. Thom is also very much for the a7 and against the a7r ("just buy/bring a D800 if you want 36mp"...). But the a7 has a fatal flaw with it's ghost flare that is NOT present with the a7r. Yeah yeah yeah, sony compresses their RAWs. I wish they didn't I think (from what people who know more than I do about that crap say) but I haven't seen a single issue yet. The only examples I've seen online are with star trails that are pushed 3 stops? So black skies with white lines when pushed THREE FREAKING STOPS have issues? Yeah, clearly you've never shot a canon before! It's 36mp and it's pint sized.

Anyway, the a7r arrived today. First off it's from KEH and in EX condition... Well, the previous owner put a sony screen protector on it BUT WITH DIRT AND A CAT HAIR BEHIND IT. It'll stay on until I make a decision to keep it but it's making my OCD show... Second is the battery and charger are knock offs. I have enough sony batteries already it's not a huge deal but is it that hard to mention that in the listing?

Back to the actual a7r -vs- the a7. The ghost flare issue isn't there with the a7r in an arch type setup shot in my kitchen where it's SUPER obvious in the a7 shot...

use the above to show the relative detail gain between 36mp and 24mp but don't use it for details themselves as I had to swap an APS-C zoom from one body to another AND swap cameras on the tripod, so the comp changed and focus and zoom likely did as well. I will say while it's pretty cool to have 36mp, and I'm excited to try it with a propped FE lens AND get a good stopped down shot, I'm not blown away by it -vs- 24mp. 24mp also hasn't blown me away -vs- the fujis to be 100% honest.

Yes the shutter is noisier. Twice as noisy not in db but in the fact it makes the same snap shutter noise twice -vs- once. Once before and once after -vs- an electronic before and just one shutter after. The NEX5 (the first one) does something similar. It's not bad noise wise and with the limp shutter button it's almost nice knowing when the exposure starts (on a 30s shot with the a7 you just see a green dot come on showing the 2s delay has started then the screen quietly goes blank). Yes you can turn the dual shutter with the a7 as well. I'll say it's annoying in that there's a significant delay to the shutter with the a7r that's not there with the a7. AF is unclear at this point as I haven't really played with it enough yet to know. It's fine in ~f/1.8, 1/125 ISO 640 light but that's not saying much...

so where does that leave me? I'm very curious to get the 16-35mm and see how it looks on the a7r. The details aren't blowing me away yet but I'm using a crop lens so it's not a fair test. I'm also left disappointed by the shutter delay far more than the noise. I'm not sure on the AF yet. But all this leaves me wondering if the a7s is enough with it's mere 12mp, but the best shutter, best (low light) AF, and ISOs? If it weren't another $600 more expensive I probably would have started there!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

oh, and sony updates suck. ~200mb each. Can't be run on yosemite. Need to be done via a USB cable. Take a loooooong time to actually run.
    WTF, ALL the other cameras I've ever owned do it off the memory card and in ~1 minute tops? This has been running for ~5 minutes and is at ~25%?
    and I have to update two bodies...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I gave up on the update! Maybe I should try on the work PC.

click this: http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/blog...1.19.27-PM.png
    for a 100% view of the a7 -vs- xt1 -vs- a7r with the 56mm on the xt1 and the 55mm on the sonys. Effective resolution here is ~15 for the a7r, ~10 for the a7 and 16mp for the xt1 I think?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Quote Originally Posted by rkane View Post
    I gave up on the update! Maybe I should try on the work PC.
    yeah, so that took 10~15 minutes per camera I think? Lost track of time it took so long... Can't really say that I've seen the power on/off time change. I also can't really comment on the AF since the cameras are too new to me. But they don't seem bad and they seem no worse than the fuji in low light. Fuji's 23mm might be faster but sony's 55mm might beat fuji? It's hard to say w/o trying on the kids or at a wedding reception (where I've had issues).

Another dumb question, both in general and with regards to fuji/sony. Does PDAF work in low light? I thought I remembered reading it doesn't somewhere but I can't find that again... The a7r and a7 seem awful close in terms of AF speed in low light?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

the other aspect I've been noticing is weight. My fuji switch was based on size and weight. The 23/56/xt1 total 1146g. The a7r/24/55 total 712g. Of course the 16-35mm is slightly bigger and heavier than fuji's 10-24mm, but if you were really worried about it and traveling the 10-18mm is TINY and covers FF from ~12~16mm.
    10-18mm: 2.75x2.5" 225g
    10-24mm: 3x3.5" 410g
    16-35mm: 3x3.9" 518g
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

affiliate link to the A7r w/ grip for $1396. Not used. Not refurbished. Seriously, if you get this stuff cheap enough, it's almost crazy not to give it a try. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Body-Grip...body+with+grip

I could sell my D800 to pay for this and fund a LA-EA4 for when I'm needing DSLR lenses. I could even get my Sigma 35 switched over to A-mount.
    Last edited by ppower; 11-15-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by ppower View Post
    affiliate link to the A7r w/ grip for $1396. Not used. Not refurbished. Seriously, if you get this stuff cheap enough, it's almost crazy not to give it a try. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Body-Grip...body+with+grip

I could sell my D800 to pay for this and fund a LA-EA4 for when I'm needing DSLR lenses. I could even get my Sigma 35 switched over to A-mount.
    So.....

wait, who's that selling though? And it's "unavailable"? Otherwise I'm ordering one today!!!!
    FYI amazon's cheapest used option camera only is $1600. They're ~$1650~$1750 on KEH. They're $1777 new right now if you use the $200 rebate and $350 trade in they're offering... So yeah, if you can show me how to get one for ~$1400 new WITH the ~$300 grip I'm there in a heartbeat...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

this is what got the sony ball rolling for me:

then this scene:

needed 6400, f/1.4 and 1/20th with my XT1. The a7s could use a much slower lens and AF much faster thanks to it's insane ISOs.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I just took a shower and got online to buy it, and it's unavailable. Was sold directly from Amazon.

Member#

Signed up to be notified if it becomes available again.

Quote Originally Posted by ppower View Post
    Signed up to be notified if it becomes available again.
    yeah me too.

guaranteed that won't be back...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Ibshouldabought2justforresale

IBevenifyouboughtoneitwouldn'tship...
    -or-
    checkbackcybermonday?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ok, so I shot pomham this morning with the a6000, a7r and XT1. First off it's a major PITA shooting with three cameras using one tripod. On top of that it's even harder considering I only have 3 sony lenses, the 24mm (crop only), 55mm (full frame) and 10-18mm (crop but can be used from ~12 to ~16 on full frame, but corners are soft and dark). So it's not really a fair fight unless you're using the 55 on BOTH the a6000 and a7r and then the a7r just gets more in the frame and the a6000 has more pixels in the crop frame if that makes sense...

basically, you can see how the files behave when processed (DR tests) and you can compare details a bit, but I can't do a heads up detail/resolution test until I have a similar lens for all three bodies IMHO. So far I prefer the handling on the sonys when shooting landscapes (see my complaint about shutter speeds on the fuji in my landscape review). The a6000 has REALLY impressed me with it's ability to produce details (24mp). I wish it didn't have this issue with the sensor or it might be the ideal landscape option considering how small it is? But it's a very nice and very small camera. The WB this morning seems better with the sony's -vs- fuji but that's going to vary scene by scene and it's something easily adjusted in post. I'm pretty sure the fuji was better out of the camera last week at point judith...

long story short there's nothing concrete to share until the 16-35mm gets here. The a6000 has impressed me a lot and ignoring the ghost flare issue there (which isn't as bad as it is with the a7) it's a great small and relatively inexpensive landscape option. It's also got the best AF and FPS in the group by a large margin... Hopefully the 16-35mm ships this week as it's rumored to do and I'll be able to line all three up side by side by side sometime next week to get some direct comparisons taken at exactly the same moment AND FLs...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

The (accidental?) super cheap A7r deal I saw on Amazon, super cheap A7 deals Roy found through Sony, and more. Fire sale prices less than a year after introduction of a body absolutely KILL my drive to waste money on buying Sony at MSRP. The Black Friday deal I found for the a5000 and 16-50 for $299 is a perfect example. Sony, you need to pull out all the stops and build interchangeable lens bodies to last multiple years. It doesn't matter that there aren't enough lenses because people are broke taking a bath on their year old bodies to get the newest one that addresses part of their issues with the body.

Seriously, if Fuji gets the PDAF down pat, I think I'd go over to Fuji where there is already more stability in the ecosystem and fast and quality lenses. It's nice to know that Fuji will support the camera down the road as well. Sony just uses you up and spits you out to where it keeps feeling like an abusive relationship I just can't get out of. And that is ultimately what scared me on buying the A7r at even "dirt cheap" pricing. Yet now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it. UGH!!!

Agreed. I just know I'm taking a bath every time I buy anything Sony. I've found some alright deals on A mount lenses but anything new is toast. And with all of the questions about A mount having a future, that might be gone as well. Fuji is better. Nikon was better still. Leica I could probably make money on. Even M8.2 go for good bucks now.

Member#

That is the reason I unloaded my Zeiss 24-70. Too afraid to keep it with uncertain Amount future. I bought it used when the A99 was new and had hope and then still lost money selling because the A-mount horizon was even more bleak.

I buy used almost always to avoid some of the sting. I also didn't buy the a7s until I was 95% sure I was sticking with sony so the almost retail sting didn't hurt as much. I don't mind taking a bath on a camera I'll own for a year plus but how often is that with me... My 24mm was $600. My 10-18 as well. I got hundreds off each thing I've grabbed so far. Lenses will resell for around what I bought them for if not possibly more? Bodies I'll lose money on.

But fuji isn't immune to this. Try to sell the XE1 right now. It was the current body as of 12 months ago (the XE2 just starting shipping right about now). How about a X100 or X100s? The X100 is ~$400 used? The X100s will be ~$750 very soon used. Fuji does pretty big rebates that last for a few months which kill your resale. I got deals on my fuji kit so I'm not too worried but if you paid retail for your fuji kit and sell it used it's pretty similar IMHO?

CNs: Buy what works for you and you know you'll want to keep. Don't look back. If you're worried about price always buy used and try to sell before the next best thing comes out or at least right when it's announced.

Buying an a7r does scare me a bit right now with a new pro camera coming. I feel the a7s is pretty stable thanks to the fact it's such a hit with the video guys. But the a7r has been out a year and has a crappy shutter so I could see it being replaced soon. I kinda see it as an EM1 EM5 update making it a bit more pro with a new sensor.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

a7s is looking good in LR at 51200. Shoot to the right a bit and it'll look great but even a missed exposure and it's better than I'd thought. Luminance noise but almost NO chroma? Doesn't look that good on the back LCD but looks much better in LR. It's weird because some files at 3200 feel a tad flat contrast wise but have zero noise.

16-35mm arrived today. Not sure why but it feels a lot bigger than the 10-24mm (which already felt big on the fujis). Yes it's a FF lens -vs- a crop, and it's really only 1/4" long (two lenscaps basically) so it's no big deal but it's just a bit bigger -vs- the 10-24 where the body is smaller than the XT1 (slightly) so it's almost unbalanced? It feels a lot better on the a7r with it's grip/plate. I shot with the 16-35mm on the a7r in my kitchen again and there's zero flare issues with that combo so that's good (some optical flare as expected, nothing sensor based).

I also shot the same scene with the a6000 with the 10-18mm and it's looking OK. Less flare on the sensor than the a7 at least, but it's still there. It's at the point where you could almost get away w/o editing it and a client might not see it, but it'd drive me crazy. That camera just impresses me a lot though and it's tiny! Finally looking at some files from it in LR and 3200 is very good looking. I had it's ISO capped there but I'll be bumping it up to 6400 to see how it looks... Surprising considering it's a 24mp cropped sensor.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

also, no a9 or a7II post? sony rumors has both up. The a9 is a pro body that's NOT a a7/a7r/a7s replacement. Better sealed, better AF (better than the a6000 even) blah blah blah. Sounds like a $3k body? The a7II sounds like a a7 with a sensor that moves to give it in body IS. Cool but nothing I'm after as I'm either on a tripod or shooting things that move.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

on the ghost flare issue, have you looked into the Fotodiox Tough E-Mount lens mount? I just had another A7/s/r user that said this was the fix for the issue. The A7ii has an updated mount, so I'd say they realize this has been an issue. I've read that it makes it really tight to fit on some lenses or adapters, but it fixes the issue for $40.

Member#

More Sony thoughts. In bringing up that the new IBIS works for all lenses, I am reminded that on sensor PDAF does not. After a search, the A7 doesn't allow it at all when using the Sigma 30mm. The a6000 does, but only in the center area. Read this thread for more detail. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3685322

This is important because the upcoming pro model may be able to use the LA-EA3 adapter for fast AF and no mirror light loss, but it won't work for any third party lenses ever. As long as you use the latestSony FE lenses, this won't be an issue.

I doubt that's the issue? Link to where you've seen someone say it's the issue? I'm tempted to get the mount for the a6000 as it can use that mount AND it's got that issue.... Also, the a7s has a MUCH tighter mount as well. Zero movement and you really need to put some pressure on the lens when you rotate it into the locked position. It's quite nice.

Can we bitch about sony's lens -vs- body #s again now? So we've just gotten to 6 lenses as of this week right (35, 55, 28-70, 24-70, 70-200, 16-35mm) but then they immediately bring the body total to 4? With the rumors of a fifth coming in a monthish, IE before more lenses...

and what the **** is up with the 70-300 being an alpha mount? I'd KILL for a mirrorless specific version of that lens, it with the 16-35mm would be a match made in heaven for me (I rocked a 16-35/70-300 on my 5Diii for a long time and loved it). But to make a new version that's alpha right now? That a9 better not be a new alpha body...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

just tested the NEX5t with the 10-18mm in the kitchen. It flares a bit but it's not bad. IE it's there (ghost flare as well as lens flare, all options have some lens flare) but if this was the first time I'd seen it I'd chalk it up to being weird looking lens flare? I will say the old NEX menus are TERRIBLE -vs- the new ones in the a6000 and a7 line. I've owned a NEX 5 of some flavor for 4 years now and I'm pretty used to the crappy button layout and menus, but yeah, now it's just so obviously wrong...

I also REALLY wish sony didn't put OSS in the 16-35mm now. Why? Because they're adding it to the bodies so if you "need" it just upgrade to a body with it. But if you don't need it that lens is now ~$100 (or more) more expensive than it needed to be and it's also heavier etc. And at least with old IS/OSS/whatever there was always a tiny bit of a hit to IQ even with it off thanks to the extra glass the image passed through... If they had released the body in a year I'd get them having it in the lenses. They could claim they decided to add it to the body after the lens was too far along. But the lens came out THE SAME WEEK AS THE BODY WITH OSS!?!?!?! They could have pushed back the launch of the lens a month or two having yanked the OSS out months ago once they started the a7ii along. Now we've got a lens for a small camera system that's bigger AND more expensive than it needed to be? Same for the 70-200? I just don't get it honestly. Do the camera R&D guys talk to the lens R&D guys?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ok, some interesting thoughts after this morning:

shooting with four camera is a royal PITA.
    I shot with the a7s starting before dawn and got some cool star shots. I then found a somewhat interesting comp where three tripods could fit and setup:
    a6000 with 10-18mm with it's own Lee ring.
    a7r with 16-35mm sharing a 72mm Lee ring and sharing the lens and filters and tripod with the a7s..
    XT1 with 10-24mm sharing a 72mm Lee ring....

I'll post some side by side shots later when I get a chance to look at them (already catching crap for spending too much time on the computer today...). AWB is way nicer on the fuji. It's more accurate on the sonys but as we all know accurate isn't always the best bet for landscapes... The a7r has more info in the files for sure. Not TONS more and from proper viewing distance I'm not sure you'd ever notice the difference? But on the screen at 100% side by side by side by side it's there. The 16mp from the XT1 and the 24mp from the a6000 are close enough I wouldn't decide between the two on resolution. The a7s is lagging behind at "only" 12mp but it's very clear what I've seen written in other reviews that the pixels that are there are amazing. Tons of detail in those files. I'm very curious to print all three and see how they look printed as the a7s feels like it's the sharpest of the three honestly, but when you make it 200% to match the others those details go away (obviously).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

rad shot, but yeah, flare:

Green Evening by Norseman1968, on Flickr
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Read through this whole thread now and

Member#

So maybe I want the A72 if the update fixes the flare issue? 24-36mp doesn't make a huge issue for me and although I do a lot of shooting of landscape type stuff now I do go skiing/hiking/etc and I do plan to do more of that when I'm not living in the city?

yeah, the flare issue is the obvious first question. If it doesn't have that things get real interesting. But for you, if it does flare I wouldn't hesitate on an a7r...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I would expect the a7r II next spring sometime when the new lenses arrive. Then the A7r should drop some more.

I'm actually surprised they didn't roll out both together. Timing will get weird with the a9. If it's a high MP count option they might not update the a7r? Basically force you to the a9 if you want high MP and anything better than the a7r offers (which is pretty much ideal for landscapes). Then update the a7s once it's a year old?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Hmm. Forgot about the potential a9!

few thoughts on the a6000 after skiing with it for a day. Took the 16mm and Fisheye adapter. I really wish the fisheye adapter went on the pancake PZ 16-50... I'd prefer the zoom but I "need" the fisheye for the hand held selfies I was after and I don't want to be bothered with more than 2 lenses (since the 16 and adapter are 2 already). Also, MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE EYECUP BEFORE GOING SKIING!!! Or even just using it in and out of a smallish pocket a lot. I knew this would be an issue but still almost lost it pulling something else out of the pocket. Luckily I wasn't moving or on a lift and saw it. 11fps is insane in such a small camera. The park sucked so I didn't try anything in it but will next time. It's a perfect little pocket camera for skiing.

The ski selfies also don't work as good with AF. With the rok 8mm on my fuji you set focus on about 4' and set the aperture to f/11~f/16 and let it do it's thing. EVERYTHING is in focus. With the a6000 and AF turned on it'll grab focus on the trees occasionally. But here's the thing, ~1/6oth is the best shutter speed for these I've found in terms of having some blur but my body sharp. You can't use Tv on a fuji since the lens is a manual aperture. So it's a toss up. I could use MF or DMF on the sony, and will try that next time, but their scales aren't as good. I could swap to a rok 8mm on sony or even the new rok 12mm on full frame if I want, it's something to consider (the 16-50PZ and rok 8 take similar pocket space to the 16mm & FE adapter).

Also, the viewfinder... I've always said I didn't need one skiing and have shot with the NEX5 and XA1 for the last 5+ winters without one. But having it is REALLY nice! Instead of guessing at shots/comps I can now see them if I need to. I'm wondering if with the eyecup in place if I could use it with my goggles in place? I'll try that next time as well (shooting through a viewfinder with a DSLR has always sent my goggle off the top of my helmet so I've always avoided it at all costs, these new small cameras are making it possible but WITH goggles would be even better).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

So that A7R + grip from a week ago was a leaked Cyber Monday deal - it's up again except it's the A7 not the A7R.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Body-Grip...ywords=sony+a7

Member#

Much less impressive deal there.

yeah, that was a killer deal last week with the R but not not so much...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

edited a bunch more files the other night. I will say sony's AWB isn't as "nice" as fujis and or "fuji colors" exist. There was just a bit more WB tweaking than with fuji but the files are great for DR/shadow fill. Not sure how much better until the ISOs go up but they feel better in terms of DR?

I'll also say I caved and ordered an a7ii...
    I also traded the XT1 for an a7r...

basically, the trade was a good deal. I'll make money if I turn around and just sell it. So I never turn that away. Plus there's a side of me that keeps thinking a a7r/a7s pair is the ultimate setup? But yeah, the a7ii is bugging me because I starting this whole thing with "just" an a7 thinking it'd be the best compromise between ISOs and MP. But the sensor flare killed that idea. So I'm trying the a7ii to see if it solved that problem. If not it goes back. If it did it'll be really tempting to keep it and sell the other two. The a6000 will stay as my pocket/ski camera regardless. It's AF and size and FPS are just awesome and it's ISOs are equal to fujis (3200 is great, 6400 usable in a pinch). The sharpness for these zeiss lenses and 24mp is crazy...

so yeah, a7s & a7r -vs- a7ii should be known next week sometime. I'd LOVE to have the a7ii work out as I'd rather just have two bodies honestly. Low light AF is the other concern because the a7s does beat the a7r there and the a7 and a7r seemed pretty similar in low light (the a7 was better in bright light).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Ooo, awesome, now you can tell me what you think haha.

Member#

Dave, I see the A6000 at under $400 used all the time. What would the cost of a months rental be vs getting one and a lense and reselling later?

Member#

I don't ultimately want an A6000 I don't think, though. I had a camera in that form factor and with the APS-C sensor, the lenses are big enough that it was just awkward for me. Plus, the sensor, AF, IBIS, focus are all different on the A7 series.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    I don't ultimately want an A6000 I don't think, though. I had a camera in that form factor and with the APS-C sensor, the lenses are big enough that it was just awkward for me. Plus, the sensor, AF, IBIS, focus are all different on the A7 series.
    Sensor yes. AF is killer on the A6000, plus the FPS. No IBIS on any of the A7 series until the A7 II is out.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum