+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Thoughts....

Member#

soooo... I know we have had this conversation time and time again. If my work is really turning into sticking with landscapes and some random portraits here and there. (headshots, etc) would the a7r be something to look at? (cost wise-etc) if the a6xxx line can't get rid of the green flare I'll look elsewhere.

-Eric
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

It's a toss up between the a7r and a7ii The r has the resolution, the a7ii has the bells and whistles. I've owned both and I was NOT happy with the r for the AF and it's shutter vibration issue (not a huge deal but annoying). I really liked the a7ii. It was the perfect compromise. I only upgraded to the a7rii because it did a lot of little things better. More MP, better AF, yadda yadda but I basically wanted to have zero excuses. But I still wonder if the a7ii didn't have better AWB as I've got some landscapes with it that the colors are just amazing and I've yet to have anything come out of the camera looking that nice with the a7rii... Yeah yeah, fixable/editable in post but the a7ii produced very nice files. Here's the first shot that comes to mind:

Beavertail Sunset by Ben Jacobsen, on Flickr

I've gone back and forth on this myself as I'd like to have a spare body for my kit for arch. I'd buy the a7ii personally as I don't need the MP for arch typically and I'd rather have my bodies match. But some of that decision for me is the fact it's the same layout.

Also, say you're abandoning the a6000 ship. Fuji's new sensor in the XT2 and Xpro2 is a sony sensor w/o the x-trans issues. Processing is quicker and the green issue is gone. As much as it sucks to flip flop systems it's certainly an option I'd consider before going FF with sony. You're NOT the only person considering this. I like my sony FF setup, I'm impressed with my sony's cropper AF as well and I'm finally getting settled in on my lenses. But fuji's got the best crop lenses in the business and the AF in the XT2 is amazing. The 100-400 is a lens that impressed me. It's the "right size" between the 70-300 and 150-600 for me... I'm not just talking about me or you either here. For me, there's a consideration for the XT2 once the XE3 comes out (only because I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tiny size of the a6300 w/10-18mm and I'd "need" a small fuji body).

But fuji sucks with video and I'm not overly unhappy with sony to be honest. I left fuji partly because of the fact they were *******s to me about audio 2 years ago at expo. I also left because I could have a sony FF with better IQ for landscapes for the same size and similar (kit) cost. Sony's kinda annoying me with the green flare issue to be honest (and their answer in their booth was also annoying) but it's only in one of my bodies here not both... But it's bugging Simms as well (he loves night scapes after all).

I mean what are the other options? Back to a DSLR (small cropper)? Canon's mirrorless with almost zero lenses? MFT (GREAT lenses but tiny sensor issues)?

So yeah, if you're a landscape person, to me it's a few options. Want the ultimate IQ? Go for a D810 or 5Dsr or maybe the new fuji GFX (wide lens selection, while in existence is ONE lens and it's a prime). But sony's got the combo of IQ and small/mirrorless locked down. 99% the IQ of the DSLRs in a lot less space (as long as you don't want their G lenses!). From there it's fuji or sony aps-c. Sony wins on size and video and FPS. AF is close enough to be a draw at this point or maybe sony wins (but fuji keeps updating to keep up). Fuji wins hands down on glass though.

Removing the AA filter on the sony is the dark horse in the race. If it works (and it's a big if), is it worth it? Should you have to spend another $325~$550 on REMOVING part of a camera you've just bought? Could this lead to sony finally fixing it (if I can prove that's the issue)? I'll gladly do it to mine because I like to do stuff like that. I'll do it to both if it works. But I can see how others would prefer to switch back to or invest in Fuji over sony for this reason.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

^why... why did you have to do that to me? WTF! I do not want two camera systems, fuji and sony. However you make some great points. Fuji glass could never be beat by what sony has out there. the 35mm... omg. I will say this though is it worth the jump back to fuji? If I go, I'm going all in with a x-t2 10-18, 35mm, and a lightweight tele option. (basically what I had a year ago)

If you had to decide which med-range $$$ cost system would you end up with? (A7rii and MF fuji are out due to cost) but when it comes to the a7r vs fuji x-t2 where would you go? remember this is landscape based photography first, with other stuff as secondary. Also, I have been interested in video lately with the go pro, possible drone, etc.

-Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

landscape first take the bigger sensor. also video, go sony. The a7ii again would be a hard decision -vs- the a7r.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    landscape first take the bigger sensor. also video, go sony. The a7ii again would be a hard decision -vs- the a7r.
    With the a7r being my go to scape camera and then the a6000 as a back up I think the kit could be a great set up for everything I would need. I could get rid of the 10-18 for the a6000, and grab a UWA for the a7r. I could use the 18-105 on either.
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

That's exactly my setup except don't get rid of the 10-18! It's a great landscape UWA on the A7R.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    That's exactly my setup except don't get rid of the 10-18! It's a great landscape UWA on the A7R.
    yea? it doesn't vignette at 10mm? distort?
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

It vignettes to 12mm and the distortion is weird but easily correctable in LR or PS.

https://flic.kr/p/Nuun47 is my 10-18mm on my A7R.

yeah, I kept my 10-18mm. It works from 12mm~16mm w/o vignette and it's tiny and light. I also love the 24-70 f/4 as it's smaller than the 16-35mm (which is also small though) but when I have it and the 10-18mm on the a6300 it's a nice small travel option with 15~100 covered.

This is with the 10-18mm on the a7rii (and this works with filters BTW):

Moody pebble beach by Ben Jacobsen, on Flickr

When a bunch of us moved to the sony full frame cameras the 16-35mm wasn't available yet. So we had to use the 10-18mm as a temporary solution but it's a good enough option a lot of us kept them, especially if you have a cropper. It makes the perfect hiking camera (as you know) there so I have dual wides. If you look very carefully at the above image the horizon has some weird distortion at the edges of the horizon (outside of cropped region), that's the only drawback.

If you click that image there's a group in my flickr of that location, there's a bunch of shots from the same place with the 16-35mm for comparison (distortion and focal length).

Here's the closest comparison with a 16mm shot with the 16-35mm:

A7RM2 skyHDR by Ben Jacobsen, on Flickr

those are different days and different tripod positions and heights believe it or not. The bottom one is using the skyHDR app, the top is using my usual filters.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ok, so SAR has rumors galore on the "a9" whatever. Should be cool but really expensive and bigger. Not really my thing as what I have works pretty well camera wise. BUT!!! They've got a rumor about a RX5 (I think?) but the rumor is it's basically an a6300 with the 24mm 1.8 zeiss on it for $1k. ZOMG WANT! This needs to take the NEX/alpha battery (not it's own battery) for both life reasons, the fact that forces a larger grip and the fact it means the same battery for sony users. But if they make it I'll buy one in a hot minute. I love to hate X100s. This would make that love love provided the lens is either short (physically) or a power pancake (like the PZ but a prime where it get smaller when off).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I have yearning for an A7II/55mm combo lately. That is the biggest thing I have missed sine going to the A6300, which I do like a lot. It's just that I loved the 55 lens so much!

do you have one of their 30mm options?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

do you have one of their 30mm options?
    I still have the 35 2.8 FE lens. It is so small that I can't seem to let go of it. I was thinking of switching to the 35 1.8 which would add OSS, but that dam 55 was so nice!

I actually sold my 55 for the 50mm 1.8 BTW. It's not as nice but for the money I prefer it. I also prefer the shape which for whatever reason effects how much I use something. The "slow af" crap you read is only if you stop it down then AF in low light, but who stops down a fast lens, especially in low light?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

but who stops down a fast lens?

exactly!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

but who stops down a fast lens?
    Annoying contrarians.

Member#

yeah, I'm leaning towards a9 sisters where one is high MP and low FPS an the other is low(er) MP and high FPS. Kinda like canon has done with the 1 series in the past. They keep saying the fast one will have better/amazing/stupid fast AF but if you're selling a 70mp uber high end camera why not also give it that AF? Time will tell.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I never understood why companies would leave out a feature from one flagship model when it is unnecessary. Even Canon eventually stopped that practice.

so sony released a new app today called "digital filter":
    https://petapixel.com/2017/03/14/son...ted-nd-filter/
    from sony's site: https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.c...9014_00-000019

so, it's basically an update to "skyHDR" which is/was their digital GND option. The bummer is the new app is $30 stand alone or $20 if you've already got "skyHDR" (which I already do). But this is supposed to be a much better version that's faster and easier to use. I'll DL and try it soon. The one rad thing I've noticed in their sample pic is you can rotate 3 sections at different angles (skyHDR could do 2 images and the transition between them was locked). This means you can deal with very odd/strange areas on their own in a way you really can't with a traditional filter. For that scenario alone I think it's worth having the tool in the kit. Plus it's $20 for all my cameras which is nice.

here are two samples with 3 images but different blending lines/angles between them:

I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

^ Yea I saw this and figured you'd be down to get this. I was just thinking about purchasing all new filters due to multiple grads needed at waterfalls. This will fix that for me.
    ericgove.com | Flickr

I also need new grads and I'm looking at getting a 6 stop ND for when we go back to iceland. I used my 3 stop GND pushed all the way down a ton but want to have a proper stopper for this next trip.

oh, and sony rumors has one on a 100-400 FE mount. Depending on the size/cost I might be interested. I have the 70-300 (which I LOVE!) and the 150-600 (which is massive and AF can be slow but MF works perfectly). If the 100-400 is small enough I could combine those two I might do it as this gets me 600 effective when used on the a6300. But yeah, the a6300 and 70-300 is 450 effective and an awesome travel option.

to be honest I'm getting pretty settled with my kit. I'm looking to get the new 85 and sell the batis to save money and weight. Then I'd love a 24mm 1.8 around the size of the 50 or 85 1.8 (bigger than the 28 f/2 but smaller than the 35mm 1.4).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Working
    Member#

Default  Sony Announced A9        

Song a9

http://www.sony.com/electronics/inte...cameras/ilce-9

Sony just announced its most impressive camera to date, the a9. If you've been thinking about making the switch from Canon or Nikon to Sony, this camera may make that decision easier.
    This camera was created with professional sports and wildlife photographers in mind. Instead of competing with the 42-megapixel a7R II, which most people consider a "studio camera," the a9 will be geared towards photographers who need speed. The sensor falls right in-between the a7R II and the a7S II at 24.2 megapixels, but in almost every other way, the camera is a big improvement.

The first exciting feature is that this camera offers blackout-free shooting, meaning that you will be able to see your subject in the viewfinder 100 percent of the time as you snap up to 20 frames per second. Standard DSLR cameras are incapable of doing this because the mirror, used to see through the lens, needs to flip up to take the picture, blocking your view as the camera exposes. The a9 will work like a video camera, snapping pictures instantly without any break in the feed. If you need silent shooting, the camera can shoot without any sound while using an electronic shutter.

The autofocus is probably the most impressive aspect of this camera. The a9 has 693 phase-detect AF points that cover 93 percent of the entire frame. No more having to focus and recompose, because basically, you'll be able to focus on any point in your frame.

Member#

Double the battery life, dual card slot, killer AF and speed. I would seriously consider if I were into sports or wildlife. I think it covers a lot of gripe I heard about the A7 series not being PRO enough.

Working
    Member#

Here is a slightly different take on the same launch:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/sony...-lenses-173640

I'm torn by this camera. Why is it so expensive? Yes it's much less than the 1DxII and D5 but it's just a a7ii with a joystick, dual slots, new menus and a bigger battery. I'm sure the new AF system cost them something to make (and certainly to develop) but had this come out at the a7ii price or even the a7rii price then it would have been a HUGE blow to canikon. As it is you've got pros with a full kit that can't replace everything natively (yet?) and a lot of them are using their companies kit and it's not been upgraded in a few cycles. So while it's an amazing camera I think it's a bit expensive for what it is. Also, will they be doing a9r and a9s or a7rIII and a7sIII versions next? It makes it very confusing.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVED my a7ii and only went to the a7rII for it's better AF (specifically in low light). I don't need 42mp but it's been nice. If this were a lateral cost move from my a7rii I'd be very tempted. I REALLY want that battery and the joystick and the menus. Dual cards is nice but not anything I used except at weddings (and not for backup, but instead so one battery and card set could cover an ENTIRE event). But this is $2k over the cost of a used a7rii right now (and those prices will drop as the market floods). What really gets me is they've finally added "my menu" and also allowed crop mode selection and some others to be used on buttons but how much do you want to bet that won't come backwards onto the a7 line?
    • $4500!!!
    • 2.2x battery life/size
    • dedicated AF joystick
    • "my menu"!!!
    • crop mode and other options can now be assigned a CF button!!!
    • zero blackout 20fps AF!
    • ~240 RAW buffer!
    • lan and PC ports
    • tilting the LCD turns off EVF sensor!!!
    • drive and AF modes as a dial (frees up menu options and checking AF/MF mode is a PITA via the menu, I love lenses with the switch so this makes all lenses have that technically).

So yeah, I don't want to sound salty. And if price is the only issue I've generally adopted the policy of sucking it up and paying for it. It's tempting. I might preorder one just to get hands on (and have it for iceland). I've always felt the a7ii had better AWB -vs- the a7rii but I never shot them side by side. I just have ~5 landscapes with my a7ii that the colors surprised/impressed me OOC and I've never really had that at all with the a7rii. I've always had to tweak my a7rii files in post to get them where I want them, or at least more so than a few from my a7ii. But was that just those few scenes were that good? W/o side by side comparisons I'll never know.

The thing with the a9 is it brings all my favorite camera options together. I've owned canon's sport bodies in the past through the 1Dii. Then I went for the 5D as I wanted FF and a smaller body. Then to mirrorless to again get to a smaller body. Well this combines both worlds pretty much seamlessly and removes my only complaints with the sony system (battery, joystick, menus). So yeah, tempting...

Zero blackout 20fps just looks amazing though:

that's where EVFs have needed to be and it's cool to see it happen. I don't "need" that but it's nice. I had that with my 1Nrs back in the day via a pelicular mirror so what, 20 years later it's finally here with digital and at 2x the speed? My 1Nrs did 10fps but faster wouldn't really help considering it could only hold a 36 exposure roll!!!

oh, and they FINALLY fixed the auto EVF switch when the back LCD is out!!!
    I do wish they'd made the mirror come out the side as well though. I used to say I didn't need/want a tilt LCD but I'm SO used to it now when I shoot verticals down low it's a total PITA to not have the option to tilt it out for those as well. And for video/vlogging it'd be nice to have front facing...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

this is also neat:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/079136...-e-mount-users

you can put two of the new batteries in there and use it with the older cameras (a7 and up, a6000 and up I think). It's $400 with two of the new batteries so it's not cheap but it's a nice option if you want longer life for say shooting outside at night (stars). Someone needs to make that into a grip and it'd be amazing.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

and BTW, not sure if I'm reading this right but the 20fps is electronic shutter only (fact, otherwise you'd have to loose the view). But it's only 5fps with the mechanical shutter?

oh, and brian smith has info on the 300 2.8 and 500 f.4 from the a mounts working at 10 FPS with the adapter once it gets a firmware update, so there's some of the needed sports lenses for people who want them. The AF will be from the adapter though so it's NOT the same... Using the sigma MC-11 and canon lenses might work better since that adapter supports all the fancy AF modes on the a7 series.

this:

button 2 ftw. Although at 24mp the crop mode is "only" 10mp

worth reading: http://briansmith.com/sony-a9-camera...m-lens-review/
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

If the price wasn't so high, this would be a tempting camera to switch for.

Working
    Member#

and BTW, not sure if I'm reading this right but the 20fps is electronic shutter only (fact, otherwise you'd have to loose the view). But it's only 5fps with the mechanical shutter?

oh, and brian smith has info on the 300 2.8 and 500 f.4 from the a mounts working at 10 FPS with the adapter once it gets a firmware update, so there's some of the needed sports lenses for people who want them. The AF will be from the adapter though so it's NOT the same... Using the sigma MC-11 and canon lenses might work better since that adapter supports all the fancy AF modes on the a7 series.

this:

See this video which shows the continuous shooting with no black out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXFI-eIXk8

Member#

this:

It's called a Firmware update. Something Sony is allergic too.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post
    If the price wasn't so high, this would be a tempting camera to switch for.
    yeah, that's another thing that bugs me. The a7ii is/was what, $2000 brand new? What's this add over that? And think about development costs too... Better AF, ok, but they improve AF for each camera. Beyond development does that add cost to the body itself? Rehashed sensor. And AF joystick and 2 more dials. A few $ to cost but the fuji xt2 has those for under $2k and the FF sensor only adds a few hundred over that. The new battery costs money and dev $ too but you'll pay for that as you are forced to buy spares so that's a draw. The frame of the camera is largely rehashed from the a7 series. Menus are free to upgrade. So then it comes down to the processing speed basically? Every digital camera I know improves on that from the previous version. I'm seeing numbers like 25% faster startup, 30% faster eye focus lock. Those aren't huge improvements IMHO. Nice to have for sure but not costly on the development side. So then it's the memory and processors they put in it to push faster FPS (electronically) and buffer? Moore's law says things should be twice as fast year after year so if we take what they have in the a7rii and double it (because 42mp down to 24) we get 10fps. Now double it again (moore's law) and we're at 20. That's WITHOUT giving us a shutter that can do this, it's electronic only so they only increased the memory and processors to clear the buffer....

so, yeah, why $4500 beside the fact that feels cheap -vs- the 1Dx and D5? Another way to look at it is how much is a 5Div -vs- the 1DxII? $3500 -vs- $6000. The 1Dx only adds built, seals, battery and buffer. The AF is identical... The a9 doesn't have the build or seals or battery... So why charge $1000 over a 5Div for the buffer? I know they can justify it. I'm not arguing that. My point is if they'd come in at or below 5Div and D810 prices then this would FLY off shelves IMHO. At the price they're at it's expensive enough and with their lens prices a lot of people won't jump even if it works for them on a financial level. Had they matched or undercut the canikon FF options things would have gotten VERY interesting.

I like it. I'm tempted by it. If it were 42mp and then had a ~24mp FF option as well as the 19mp cropped option I have now then I'd probably jump. But as it is I really like what I've got so I'll wait out a version with the MP but joystick and batteries and menus.

oh, and no touch screen? You just added it to the a6500 sony, why not have it here? You could always turn it off at launch until you perfect the tech on the 6500 (since it's poorly implemented there).

Quote Originally Posted by gks View Post
    See this video which shows the continuous shooting with no black out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXFI-eIXk8
    yeah, I posted that inline above. What I'm saying is to get to anything above 5fps they're using the electronic shutter. You can get some weird artifacts with electronic shutters. Maybe they've fixed that or maybe at high enough shutter speeds it's gone but with my a7rii you can see it at times if you push it. But the mechanical shutter is only good for 5fps.

Quote Originally Posted by rkane View Post
    It's called a Firmware update. Something Sony is allergic too.
    +1
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Ben, those are exactly my thoughts on why this is not worth the asking price. Makes the X-T2 a far better option for me at this point. Although I love that Sony bodies can switch between FF and crop. Makes lenses so much more versatile.

agreed. I just wish they ALSO had a mRAW option like canon. That would be the best of both worlds. I guess if I had to pick the crop option is better because of the dual FLs but the flip side of that coin is you could always do that later...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Meanwhile...at Nikon's New Announcements Department...

-Keith
    Flickr

Member#

Great one Keith! That D7500 release is bass akwards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6iHmGp4nMo

5fps mechanical, then the others electronic both with and without the shutter noise turned on... pretty crazy!

so I've been thinking about the a9 a lot. What I really wish sony had done is gone for the throat and used the 42mp sensor but allowed an mRAW option to knock it down to 21mp. 10fps at 42mp (or slower, who cares at high res), then 20fps in the mRAW 21mp mode. Then no one would have questioned the price and it'd be one camera to rule the world. You know they're cooking up an a7riii at this point with more MP so giving the a9 the 42mp would have been a nice option.

The issue I keep coming back to is the price for what you get. Yes it's the best sony available and challenges the 1Dx/D5 quite a bit but a big reason those cameras cost so much is their built on a frame that doesn't sell a lot where this re-uses the a7 body. The canikon twins also have shutters and mirrorboxes that have to go 12~14fps which is NOT easy to do. Sony did it with all electronics which means no moving parts at those FPS. Nice way to do it (we'll see if people will get jello shutter issue) but it's a lot cheaper. Yes it costs money to flush 24mp shots through a buffer at 20fps but the a6000 has been doing 10fps for a few years now... And obviously canon and nikon have lesser bodies that also do it. So yeah, it just seems really expensive for what could have been the a7iii and been ~$3k or maybe even less and just blown the others away.

I guess this just seems like a bit of a a7ii and a6500 duct taped together and charged a premium for it. They're fixing problems that need to be fixed on all their bodies but charging the premium because it's finally "right"? Sell this for $3k or less and it'd be amazing. And or give us mRAW finally with the 42mp sensor as the big sensor and it'd have been even more amazing and the perfect camera for even more people.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Plus the canikons have built in battery grips with batteries which will last through nearly a 3 day event. And their pro bodies can be used as a weapon in the zombie apocalypse.

Member#

sitting here with my a6000 collecting dust lol
    ericgove.com | Flickr

interesting a9s are just in stock, shipments came in with enough to cover preorders and never sold out? Probably thanks to it's price being as high as it is (less buyers) and the fact they can mass produce them easier than canikon's pro bodies since it shares a lot with the a7 series?

also, digilloyd says it has noise:
    https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20170...at-ISO100.html
    I noticed some unexpected streaking in an image with a good exposure at ISO 100. The red channel is overlaid with horizontal lines/streaks in 12-pixel-high bands. Pattern noise is disturbing in any case, but to have it at ISO 100 with a good exposure is a huge negative for any camera, high speed shooter or not.

Sony A9: Pattern/Banding Noise at ISO 100

Includes images up to full resolution including the red channel from the ProPhotoRGB and sRGB color images, RawDigger histogram and Adobe Camera Raw conversion settings.

I’ve not seen noise this egregiously bad for years now. Possible diagnosis: the high-speed readout of the A9 sensor does not read out groups of rows evenly; there is some difference in gain between the rows. The pattern noise repeats in row groups that are 12 pixels high.
    anyone have a subscription and can see/share the banding?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I've heard on a couple of podcasts that Sony had to trade off dynamic range for speed capabilities.

yes, I've heard that it's lower than the a7rii as well but it's got more details and better high ISO -vs- the a7ii (not sure on DR there).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

tony has a very nice review of the a9 addressing the overheating and banding (he says it does neither after trying to show that it does):

I still maintain it seems awful expensive for what you're getting over an a7ii. ~$3k more for the AF and buffer and battery etc? The fact the rumors are saying the a7iii is going to have the same sensor and same AF then it's even more of an issue for me? The buffer was done via memory and the trick sensor, does that make the sensor that much more expensive? Maybe if sony's selling the identical sensor from the a7ii to other brands? That's about the only rationale I can find for it to cost what it does other than they could get away with it? Not saying it's not worth it either really but not for me and I just think they could have slain the competition if it was ~$1k less?

The a7iii rumor is that it'll have the joystick, bigger battery, and the AF. If that's true is it just the FPS they're removing? That's about all I can remember? Hopefully if that's true and the a7iii is the same price it is now I'll be tempted by it. I only went from an a7ii to a7rii for the better AF. The MP can be nice but it's not crucial for me.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Hell if the A7III has similar AF as the A6300, I would jump on it! I fear that Sony is going to price it at $1999 for body only.

I'd bet it at least matches the a7rii?

if they add the joystick and bigger battery I guarantee it's $2k or more.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

jared polin (froknows) has some images and a video with the banding on the a9. Super easy to see unfortunately.
    https://petapixel.com/2017/06/27/uh-...port-surfaces/
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

cold-blooded internet insult machine Markitos's Avatar
    Member#

Yikes!
    “Sharpness is a Bourgeois concept.” -- Henri Cartier-Bresson

Member#

It's gonna happen with an E-shutter. Physics and all.

that's the other thing I was wondering, could just be the stadium lights combined with the e-shutter?

but yes, yikes indeed. This is where I don't love the a9 and it's pricing. IMHO they "cheated" to get their 20fps but using an electronic shutter. It works but it's not the same cost as a shutter and mirror moving. So CHARGE LESS SONY! And then a lot more people would hate on the a9 less, if it were say $3k? The moving bits in the 1Dxii and D5 are where the costs are. Yes memory isn't cheap and their new layered sensor cost something as well but IMHO they price tage is too much for an E-shutter sports body with this issue.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum