+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: what to buy: iphone -vs- android?

Moved from the HTC ONE M8 to a Galaxy S7 Active and I love it.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    Picked up a refurbished blackberry classic this week. I'm (most likely) returning it because it doesn't work with my smart watch... If they make one of these on android (which they're rumored to be doing) it could potentially be my only phone? The reason I picked it up is I need to use prepaid verizon in CO this winter when I teach a photo class for a week in Telluride. So I can either pop the SIM in my current LG G5 (it's GSM and CDMA option is a huge reason I have it) or I was considering having a second phone so I can leave mine along while I travel? Last year I had ZERO reception there the entire time with my G3. From airport back to the airport, nothing. WiFi at the place I was staying worked to get notes to people but I couldn't call/text my Aunt to sort out rides to places etc.

So yeah, is it work ~$200 to have a spare phone that works on all networks? The verizon version of the BB classic has both CDMA and GSM radios. And ignoring the older tech I really liked it. I like BB's style in terms of organization. It's the lack of working apps that kills it for me. No DJI (but I wouldn't use it for a drone anyway), no garmin etc. It's old so it felt slow but I REALLY liked the smaller size (it's wide but not tall). Obviously it'd be nice to have a finger print scanner (something I've learned to love) and fast/USB charging but I hope they put that in the new one when it comes out next year? Their "Hub" is amazing though. You can actually DL it for android now (it's $1/month ) but IMHO unless you DL their apps to go with it it's very weird when it switches from their Hub to your MMS app... It loses the look/feel of a BB. I really liked the keyboard though and the "mouse"/pointer. App wise though FB doesn't even work on it. They force you to update the app that it comes with and then the update forces you to use the web. There's another app for it but it's not OEM which is weird.
    I found my BB Curve last weekend when I was cleaning some old boxes out. It powered right up. Kept saying it was on V Wireless, with no wifi it was useless. I "wiped" the phone off all my data and tossed it in the trash after removing the battery. I thought it was large when I had it (2009). Compared to the G3 and the N6, it's a minifigure.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

revisiting this again... kids broke my LG G5. It's been a great phone. Best android to date that I've owned. I've had the oneplus1, LG G3 and now LG G5. They dropped something on it when it was on the counter breaking the screen (2 small crossing cracks) but the GPS is also shot now... So, I could just buy another but there are more options now that I'm considering...

What the G5 had that I like:
    • Finger print scanner (I'd never set locks on phones before but this is so natural and just works).
    • home/lock/scanner on BACK, so natural.
    • USB - C, easy to use in the dark
    • dual back cameras! Wide option is awesome!
    • fast charging, awesome!
    • micro SD for more space.
    • battery could have been bigger
    • nicer metal design
    • weird curve at top and bottom edge of phone though...
    • pretty good size, almost too big but easy to type on
    • always on screen is actually pretty nice
    • hidden galleries.
    • dual band, GSM/CDMA radios (needed to use verizon when I go to CO with a pay as you go sim)
    • does NOT have 7.x yet and might not (even though they suggested it would get it early as it's unlocked, some have said it will NEVER get it...
    • WiFi doesn't work on some networks (heats up and KILLS battery super fast, work is one of those places)

So, the options I'm considering:
    • another G5
    • LG V20, bigger version, keeps second camera, front camera is wider which would be great. Same locked gallery, same scanner, RUGGED (but not water resistent), SD card for added space. Maybe wifi would be fixed (still an LG) and it's got a bigger battery and 7.x. Monster size phone though, even bigger than the iphone 6+...
    • pixel/pixel XL, best android phone, but only one camera. EXPENSIVE! Can't find the 128gb size (so I'd have to wait).
    • oneplus 3t, dual sim card slots. Doesn't officially support verizon but text and voice work (all I need for a week in CO, I have WiFi when I'd need data). Single camera and no SD slot. Front side finger print scanner. Better size for me I think? Reviews say it's a very good pixel alternative for half the price. Big battery and a fast charger.
    • wait on the g6... Supposedly water resistant, maybe rugged, bigger screen w/o a massive phone (smaller bezels all around).

I still very much like android. I want 7.x though and the G5 probably won't get it. Pixel is pretty much out because I don't want to pay that much for one even if I could find one... So it kinda comes down to the V20 which is mostly what I have, but bigger and rugged. Vs the op3t that's similar size, has dual sims but loses the SD card and second camera... B&H has used V20s.

and then there's this: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-.../lg-g6-1318955

so the thing is the GPS is broken in my current phone but the phone still works. It's got a broken glass screen (first ever for me). So I could just get a screen protector and wait out the G6? Tempting...

sizes: http://mobiledevicesize.com/compare/...,692,679,677;1

so in typing this out it's making me think about this more and it seems staying in the LG ecosystem is the right choice. So do I go for the monster sized V20 (now!!! ) or wait for the G6? The real question is how annoying will the screen get. It's got a few sharp edges already that annoy me. I think the better question is which phone is right for me, the bigger phone or not? I'll wait out the G6 if it's the right phone. Rumor has it it might have the screen size of the V20 in the phone size of the G5 which would be a great combo...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Get the moto with the camera add-on.
    Stupidity angers me.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

Isn't the pixel only on Verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    Isn't the pixel only on Verizon?
    no, but they're the only ones with it in stock (google only has the small size 32gb model in stock). You can buy an unlocked pixel from verizon and it'll work on GSM and CDMA.

so I think I'm going to stick with LG. I like my G5, I liked my G3. So the question becomes wait for the G6 or get the V20 now. If I got the V20 now I could wait for the G6 to be available AND not be full price (either grab a used one or wait for the price drop). That's probably what I'll do. I wish I could have both the SD card AND dual SIMs (doesn't need to be at the same time) as it'd be nice to travel with dual sims but have the SD the rest of the time. But if I'm picking one or the other I think I'll stick with the LG as I like the dual camera, locked gallery and rear finger print scanner. Basically a used V20 now and used/lowered price G6 then (if I feel the need to switch from the V20) will cost what either one would cost new right now...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

I'm still torn. Used V20 arrive yesterday from B&H. It's very nice, nicer than my G5 in a lot of ways. Only complaint is it's size. It's MASSIVE! Will I get used to it?
    1+ 3T arrived today. Haven't opened it yet. It's super easy to return if I don't or if I do I'll need to show pictures that show's it's still in good shape. It's "the right size" but moves the finger sensor to the front, drops the SD card and doesn't have the dual cameras... BUT! It has dual sim support. Normally that wouldn't be an issue but I literally just got my verizon sim today for my CO trip next week... Right now I have two phones in my pocket, one with each sim. What a total PITA and the phone here on my desk (in it's box) would fix that... That and the fact it's a better size has me tempted to at least open it.

First world problems I know.

also, the 3t is probably faster AND it's got the bigger battery with a smaller screen so it'll last longer.

I probably should have just bought a used G5 and never looked at other options. Worst part is I was set on the V20 pretty quick until someone else on FB was phone shopping and the 3T came up there...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ok, so I opened the 3T. It came down to it being cheaper (new) vs a used V20 and it's also got dual sim support. Not only that but it lets you switch the sim cards w/o powering it on/off. Both my G5 (sim tray) and V20 (can't remove sim w/o removing battery) need to be powered off to switch a sim. And with dealing with 2 sims right now with activating and testing my verizon sim friday it was enough to try the 3T....

well just opening it and handling it it's an amazing phone. REALLY well built, and just nice feeling and looking. The nicest android I've handled and finally something that looks and feels as nice as an iPhone. I'm already adjusting to the front finger scanner so that's OK. We'll see how much I'll miss an onboard wide angle camera option (vs either using a sony and WiFi-ing it or a pano). The biggest issue right now is I need to find a gallery replacement app that supports passwords/locks and then lock the normal one.

One thing I realized with the V20 with it's massive screen and now with the 3T with both it's screen and nougat is it's REALLY nice to be able to make text and icons etc smaller so more fit on the screen. It's nice to see and read more w/o scrolling as much. If the G5 had nougat I'd be able to do it there but mine won't get nougat supposedly.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

That's great info to know. With Samsung seemingly becoming an Android iPhone, I'm already looking at other options for my next phone. LG and One+ are the top of the short list. Other than just going back to the hedge apple.

I looked at going back to apple and there's just no way. I used to love my iphone but now I get so frustrated when I have to use my wife's. They're seemingly harder to use now if you're used to android. I'm not saying they're not good phones and they're perfect for my wife and parents etc. But once you're used to some of android's tricks it's very hard to go back...

So a day in and I'm very torn on which phone to keep. I LOVE the hardware on the 3T. And it's more of a google phone than an LG. IE my biggest complaints right now are that it's using google calendar directly -vs- through an LG app, the clock/alarms are different (different ways to turn them off), and the gallery app isn't the LG one either... But I like the way their menus look and the way the phone answers etc, their color scheme is nicer as well so it's a trade off. Hardware wise I'm learning to like the front button lock (I actually pull it out of my pocket that way anyway). It's nice having the slider on the side for mute etc (even though my phones have LIVED in mute since forever). I've also turned on the front capacitance buttons and I'm learning to like those -vs- having the on screen options rob that bit of screen space. It's also really nice in some apps that hide them to still be able to use them (DJI for one). And camera wise it's good, I just miss the wide angle option LG has. The V20 is very nice but it's just massive and it doesn't feel quite as nice. It's still very nice, and nicer than my G5 even (which is a nice all metal phone) even with a removable (solid metal) back plate. I just have to make sure I'm not being swayed to LG for the familiar apps (or if they're replaceable)... And then I need to weight the whole size -vs- cameras -vs- battery -vs- dual sim aspect. The 3t's battery is amazing. After an 8 hour shift with WiFi on and browsing a bit I had 69% battery left. With my LG Wifi would KILL the battery in 4~6 hours and with it off I'd be in the 40%s at the end? The V20 also switched the front camera to a wide angle as well which is really nice for family group shots...

V20: dual cameras, wide front camera, rugged, but massive... LG apps that I prefer
    3t: dual SIMs, awesome size, awesome battery, better OLED screen (blacks are black!), better button layout/options, $110 cheaper...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Still love everything about my Nexus 6P, well, except the random battery related shutdown issues!!!

I'll try to make this quick.
    Bought Nexus 6P in October 2015.
    Starting around October or November 2016, phone starts randomly shutting down at anywhere from 15% to 75% battery.
    It is a known problem all over the internet so I call Google at the beginning of the year.
    Even though it is out of warranty they RMA it.
    Refurbished phone gets delivered and I start getting it all set up and wipe my original 6P.
    Turns out when I go to activate the new one on Verizon the IMEI number is flagged as previously stolen and after 3 hours on the phone there is nothing Google or Verizon can do for me so the phone goes back to Google. Of course I had already wiped my original 6P and packaged it up (luckily I hadn't mailed it back yet).
    Reactivate original 6P.
    New refurbished 6P comes and setup is a breeze. Original 6P gets shipped back to Google and all is well.
    Until last week when the new one shutdown at 36% battery and then again at 26%!

Google did another RMA and it should be here Wednesday.

ugh, that's frustrating. they won't hook you up with a pixel at this point, especially for you with this being your third attempt with one that was "stolen"?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

anyone have a couple old but not too old smartphones they want to sell cheapish?
    Looking to get my parents into the game and away from their friggin flips but don't want monthly payments on new phones.

what's your price range? Amazon sells used smartphones and you can return them there if there's any issues. I keep my old ones just in case (and for controllers for kids games ). B&H also sells a lot of new unlocked options, some of which are very reasonable price wise.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    what's your price range? Amazon sells used smartphones and you can return them there if there's any issues. I keep my old ones just in case (and for controllers for kids games ). B&H also sells a lot of new unlocked options, some of which are very reasonable price wise.
    I scooped them up a couple unlocked Iphone 6 joints on woot yesterday. $250 each 64gb

nice!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

another thing worth mentioning is how nice the AMOLED screen is... it's got less res than the V20/G5 but the same as the iphone 6 plus. But the tech is different on the LGs and the oneplus has much blacker blacks. I guess this is what samsung does as well that people like (not sure about saturation/punchy-ness). I never really noticed that the LGs were bad screens but now going back to them they're not as nice. The G5 was never bring enough in daylight but the V20 fixed that, but the 3T is brighter still (something apple has always done well).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Sounds like One+ really nailed it with the 3.

so, update with the 3t. It's been great so far. I ran the GPS on skitracks skiing last friday and in ~3.5 hours of skiing it only drained <10% battery? This used to KILL my old iphones. And I had the phone in an outside jacket pocket?! The screen is amazing. Way better contrast/blackblacks vs the LG. The one issue I've had is I hit the front buttons a lot when getting the phone in/out of a pocket. This has gotten better with use but it's worth mentioning. I will say I think I like the physical buttons though? It's weird because the LG G6 and samsung s8 are both all about maximizing screen space and removing buttons. I wouldn't mind a smaller phone but not sure I'm willing to lose the buttons? This thing is stupidly thin though yet still has a ton of battery life. And with it's boost charger it's always full as well. I tried it w/o a case but honestly it's so thin it was hard to handle w/o feeling like I was going to always drop it?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I am contemplating the new s8 due to an offer from Verizon to trade in my edge7 and get the s8 for $15 a month payment plan and Samsung vr.

Member#

I just received a warranty replacement for the screen protector on LG3. I am going to continue using it until it no longer works.
    Stupidity angers me.
    NSOP snapshooter

Had the random shutdown issue with my Nexus 6P again. Got back in touch with Google and they are sending me a brand new 128GB Pixel XL as a replacement!

Member#

Nice!

Nice!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum