Thread: Sony FE Lens News Thread

Holy. ****. That is incredible.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

Hmm a 16 1.4 at $330 would be a huge seller!

Member#

Nice!!

it's officially official now: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news.../24/1475?19118

The SIGMA Corporation is pleased to announce the development of a new high-performance, large-diameter wide-angle lens, SIGMA 16mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary.
    This is the world’s first interchangeable lens for mirrorless Sony E-mount cameras in the APS-C format to offer a 24mm focal length (35mm equivalent) and F1.4 brightness. This is the large-diameter wide-angle lens for which mirrorless camera users have been waiting.
    With an optical system that rivals that of interchangeable lenses for full-size SLRs, the lens features a wide variety of high-tech optical elements. SIGMA has crafted a lens that leverages optical aberration minimization via the in-camera digital correction. This lens effectively minimizes optical aberrations and offers superb resolution at wide-open aperture and throughout the aperture range. The optical design and stepping motor deliver smooth autofocus during video shooting, while the mount features special sealing creating a dust- and splash-proof design.

Release date and price: TBD
    Accessory: Petal type lens hood (LH716-01)
    Corresponding AF mounts: Sony E-mount and Micro Four Thirds
    no price, no date yet though...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

samples from the 16mm here: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lens...16_14/gallery/
    funny they're all shot on the a7rii? They're ~17mp so less than the crop mode's native MP though.

they also released a roadmap, 50mm 1.4?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Wish I could go to PPE to check this out!

Member#

So I currently have a Rok 14mm f/2.8 and I've anyways wondered how much difference I would see in a lens like this that is 2x faster. Same stars at lower ISO/faster shutter speed?

yeah, so I shoot my stars at 6400 f/4 (wide open) and 30s. It works. Go to 1.4 and you can drop the ISO to 1600? But focus will be harder to hit (and focus with stars on these sony's is NOT easy!). Maybe there's a happy medium in there at f/2.8? For me it's about having a fun small fast prime that emulates the 24mm 1.4 I had on my canon. The thing is though the 28mm f.2 on FF has less DOF than the 16mm 1.4 will on crop. Similar but still more DOF on crop. But the size is the other consideration. I plan on shooting them side by side, hopefully at expo, but if not I'll buy one and try it out. The samples I've seen from the fuji in terms of angle of view and DOF are pretty much exactly what I'm after.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

ugh, just lost a lengthy reply.

so 1.4 to f4 is ~2 stops yes? So I shoot stars at 6400, 30s and f/4 (wide open). I'd be able to shoot at 1600 with a 1.4 lens so less noise. But it'd be a lot harder to AF (which is always a challenge with mirrorless as the ISOs go up in the dark).

For me it's about getting close the the 24mm 1.4 I had on FF in a smaller package. The thing there though is the 28mm f.2 on FF has thinner DOF than the 16mm 1.4 on crop. But the samples I've seen from the fuji version have the look and FOV and DOF I'm after. I just don't love 28mm like I did 24mm... I'm hoping they'll have one at expo but I'm guessing they won't since they're saying the design could still change (so I'd bet it'll be in a glass case). If not I'll buy one and try it out. I've been tempted to buy a fuji with the 16mm just because I miss this lens that much... I'll also be trying the fuji version side by side my 28mm on the sony this weekend.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    yeah, so I shoot my stars at 6400 f/4 (wide open) and 30s. It works. Go to 1.4 and you can drop the ISO to 1600? But focus will be harder to hit (and focus with stars on these sony's is NOT easy!). Maybe there's a happy medium in there at f/2.8? For me it's about having a fun small fast prime that emulates the 24mm 1.4 I had on my canon. The thing is though the 28mm f.2 on FF has less DOF than the 16mm 1.4 will on crop. Similar but still more DOF on crop. But the size is the other consideration. I plan on shooting them side by side, hopefully at expo, but if not I'll buy one and try it out. The samples I've seen from the fuji in terms of angle of view and DOF are pretty much exactly what I'm after.
    ugh, just lost a lengthy reply.

so 1.4 to f4 is ~2 stops yes? So I shoot stars at 6400, 30s and f/4 (wide open). I'd be able to shoot at 1600 with a 1.4 lens so less noise. But it'd be a lot harder to AF (which is always a challenge with mirrorless as the ISOs go up in the dark).

For me it's about getting close the the 24mm 1.4 I had on FF in a smaller package. The thing there though is the 28mm f.2 on FF has thinner DOF than the 16mm 1.4 on crop. But the samples I've seen from the fuji version have the look and FOV and DOF I'm after. I just don't love 28mm like I did 24mm... I'm hoping they'll have one at expo but I'm guessing they won't since they're saying the design could still change (so I'd bet it'll be in a glass case). If not I'll buy one and try it out. I've been tempted to buy a fuji with the 16mm just because I miss this lens that much... I'll also be trying the fuji version side by side my 28mm on the sony this weekend.
    So for me... when shooting stars I've ALWAYS focused to infinity and never had an issue, however I shoot right now at f4 as well. But even if I have shot with my 50mm 1.8 I've done the same without issue. The issues come into place when you are introduce close foreground comps and/or light sources (city scapes/lighthouses/etc)

So focusing shouldn't be an issue.

but what do i know... I could be doing it all wrong!

-Eric
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

The problem with sony's and focus by wire is you can't hit infinity exactly. When I zoom into my shots after I shoot them at 100% and I can see some are OOF if I go too far. I focus in live view zoomed in on a star and can go both sides of in focus. I make the star as fine a point as I can and it seems to work.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

The problem with sony's and focus by wire is you can't hit infinity exactly. When I zoom into my shots after I shoot them at 100% and I can see some are OOF if I go too far. I focus in live view zoomed in on a star and can go both sides of in focus. I make the star as fine a point as I can and it seems to work.
    I do not think i've had that issue... but now i'll be looking.
    ericgove.com | Flickr

I'm no stars expert but nailing focus has always been my issue with my sony where it was cake with my canons.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I'm no stars expert but nailing focus has always been my issue with my sony where it was cake with my canons.
    So I tested this last night, I'll try and get photos uploaded soon. I felt I hit focus without much issue. However my horrible eyes might be lying to me.

-Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

I also have horrible eyes fwiw...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

you can preorder the sigma 16mm tomorrow: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...1_4_dc_dn.html
    rumor has it it'll be around ~$400?! Tempting. Here's my thing:

a7rii & batis 25mm = 960g
    a6300 & sigma 16mm 1.4 = 809g

160g is like 20% more but the 16mm is actually longer by quite a bit so I'm not sure which would fit in a jacket easier. I'm tempted to grab one to try and return the batis if I love the 16mm but it's size was a turn off in terms of being more pocketable than the a7r and batis. I'd call it pretty even in that regard in that one has the larger camera by about the same amount as the lens is longer with the other option. I love the concept of the 16mm 1.4 on crop and had it been the size of fuji's, short and fat, I'd be all over it. But the length makes it much tougher to toss in a jacket pocket which is why I want it.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

also, rumor has it sony is working on a 200-600. Interesting.... The rad part is I'd bet their's will work with their 1.4 and 2.0 TCs?!... I wonder how much it'll cost though? More or less than a 100-400?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

sigma 16mm is $450 with a ship date of 11/22 (2 weeks).
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...1_4_dc_dn.html
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I’ll stick with the 19 2.8 thanks. If I needed some starry sky work this would be killer, but a bit too rich and big.

Member#

All this talk of 16mm 1.4's has awoken my inner gear whore. And my event crew retired retiring. So I sold my zooms due to no longer needing them, and them being heavy for a mirrorless kit. And have a Fuji 16mm on the way.

Nice Bobby!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I would love to see one of you get the Sigma 16mm to see how good it is. Which I am expecting to really good given how good the Siggy lenses are these days.

Member#

Bobby is back to primes? shocking!!!!

Especially since I am headed that way too.

Member#

Me switching gear is unheard of

oh, I've got the 16mm on preorder. Should have just enough overlap with the 25mm I just picked up that I can return one or the other after a week of testing them side by side. If I return the 25mm I'll probably grab another 24mm for the crop since it'll be smaller than the 16mm at that point...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Looking forward to seeing the testing results.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum