+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony FE Lens News Thread

Member#

Default  Sony FE Lens News Thread  

Thought I would start an overall thread instead of individual ones.

So far FE has:

Sony 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 FE OSS
    Sony 35mm F2.8 Sonnar T* FE ZA Full Frame Prime Lens
    Sony 55mm F1.8 Sonnar T* FE ZA Full Frame Prime Lens
    Sony 24-70mm F4 Vario-Tessar T* FE OSS
    Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OIS

Now there are rumors starting of a 85mm 1.8.
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-f...-at-photokina/

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

I haven't been keeping up, but does sigma's new art series work with these cameras?

Member#

they have A-mount which can be adapted to this system.

I can vouch for the 55/1.8 being badass and stupid sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbert View Post
    It's not the thrill of the shoot....It's the thrill of the chaise.
    Dan's Flickr

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by a.hoglen View Post
    I haven't been keeping up, but does sigma's new art series work with these cameras?
    Unfortunately for direct use no. Sigma has stated their will be no FE support for now. Like Dan Mentioned there are A-Mount adapters available. Andy can talk more to that aspect, although I am not sure if he has adapted an Art lens that way.

I am hoping the Zeiss quality would suffice in terms of Sigma "Art" comparisons.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by danm View Post

I can vouch for the 55/1.8 being badass and stupid sharp.
    I have heard great thing about that lens. If the 85 is as good, then the 35 2.8 /85 1.8 combo would be perfect for me in terms of AF lenses. I would get a 20-24 manual wide adapted from maybe Voigtlander M/Nikon AI for landscapes. I have lived without longer than 105mm(Nikon AI lens) for so long, that I don't miss it really.

I use the LAEA4 adapter to adapt the A-mount Sony Zeiss lenses. It works fairly well in converting it to a mostly dSLR AF like experience. And those lenses are mostly great. I like the 16-35 pretty well and the 135 f/1.8 is tremendous. The 85mm f/1.4 was about what the Sigma is which is good wide open but takes until f/2.8 to be sharp. It would be nice to have one that is sharp at f/1.8.

The two available FE primes (35 and 55 mm) are tremendously good lenses. I had the 24-70 f/4 for about two days before sending it back. It was not up to what I expect for this system.

Current bigger walk around kit is a Samyang 24mm f/1.4 in E mount, FE 55mm, and the LAEA4 with the 135mm. The FE 35mm is also thrown in a pocket because it is so small. I really don't use it though. I don't really wish for anything when carrying this setup.

I refuse to use lens via an adapter. Whens their native 16-35mm coming?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

I'd think with the waves a lot of the 3rd parties are making with lens design these days, sony needs to get at least sigma on board with getting some stuff out there. Like Ben said, an adapter is unacceptable unless you are using super old glass.

I think if you could buy 3rd party, these bodies would be more apt to flying off the shelves.

Member#

I don't mind adapted for MF lenses, and the Sony A-mount to NEX seems pretty decent in that it opens up all the Alpha lenses, but yeah, in terms of keeping it compact it is a hindrance. The best for size I have seen are the rangefinder adapters.

my thing is all electronics need to work AND the lenses need to be designed to be smaller/lighter/cheaper. yes, this is FF mirrorless but there should still be some savings in there. Using my canon glass on it doesn't save me any money or space or weight when you add the adapter's weight into the mix and keep the old glass.

So yeah, a 16-35mm that's dedicated and I'd be VERY curious. I'd love 36mp and that DR...
    although I'll say I've been VERY happy with my fuji!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

I get what you saying, but I do really like how this camera, even the m4/3s handle manual focus. But you have to be in that group of users.

Member#

the adapter works well like Andy said, i got one because the guys i shoot weddings with all shoot A-mount system. so i buy one body, one lens and an adapter and suddenly have a full kit.
    It's not the thrill of the shoot....It's the thrill of the chaise.
    Dan's Flickr

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    So yeah, a 16-35mm that's dedicated and I'd be VERY curious. I'd love 36mp and that DR...
    although I'll say I've been VERY happy with my fuji!
    16-35mm is to be officially announced in September though it's been known for what seems like ages.

I still think that if f/1.8 is as fast as they are going to make their fast lenses, there is no DOF benefit with full frame over crop. I still hate it that the 35mm wasn't at least f/2, but it is what it is. I could see having the 16-35 and 55 as a great kit. That or a Voigtlander 15mm f/2.8, 35, and 55 for an all prime setup. The A7 and A7r have issues with the Voigtlander, but the A7s does not. Because there is only one stop of difference, I suspect that there will be some used 35 f/2.8 for sale once the 16-35 comes out.

Yeah, and I'd bet the 16-35 is stabilized as well so even though it would be f/4 it could work for a lot of people. But I bet it is going to be pretty big. It seems the IS makes things grow substantially. But if you think of full frame mirrorless as just small dSLRs, it makes sense. It is smaller. How much that is an advantage for you is the question.

Member#

yes, it will likely be "large" especially compared to the 35, but it may be preferable to carry one lens over a couple of small ones. It's not like you can put the A7 and 35 in anything but the biggest of pockets already. The sizes of Sony lenses even on crop are a problem, and I still don't see why others can do what Sony can't seem to. This is why I don't believe we'll see much of f/1.4 FE lenses, and that takes me back to leaning towards the Fuji camp.

Agreed. I'll take weight and size reductions from anything but if it is bigger than an X100 any change is in the land of diminishing returns.

Which leads me to my dream camera. I want an FE mount, full frame camera that has all of the buttons and switches like on a pro dslr. I want separate AFon and exposure lock buttons, AF program switches, metering switches, quick AF point select, portrait grip built in and integrated, all of that. But, you see, I still want the short flange distance so I can use adapters and use all of the stupid lenses. And I want the EVF because, frankly, unless it is a Fuji enhanced rangefinder style, I don't want an OVF again.

This will never happen but, man, it doesn't stop me from dreaming that this could be the next Sony A99.

Member#

I'll respond to this in the other thread.

the 1.8 -vs- 1.4 thing doesn't bug me that much (except they shouldn't cost so much!). I don't care about the 16-35 being announced... fuji wasn't a legitimate DSLR replacement for me until the 10-24mm was in my hands. I even bought a NEX7 with 10-18mm as a stop gap. Had it not purple frindged and not had double sun stars I would have probably kept it as my landscape kit honestly. I liked it enough I'm VERY tempted to try a a6000 with the 10-18mm again as the sun stars was NOT lens specific, the 18-55 did exactly the same thing.

I don't know what it is/was, but I REALLY preferred the NEX7 w/10-18 and 18-55 over my XE2 with the 14mm and 18-55 for the 3 weeks I had both. Not sure if it was just because I had a UWA zoom on the sony or not but yeah, I liked it a lot.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Member#

we want additional infos dammit.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

we want additional infos dammit.

So... is that m-mount lenses made FE mount? And maybe an extra bit of glass to deal with the wide angle smearing and colors? I would be for that.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    So... is that m-mount lenses made FE mount? And maybe an extra bit of glass to deal with the wide angle smearing and colors? I would be for that.
    Sorry, Andy there is no additional infos available at the moment.
    Stupidity angers me.
    NSOP snapshooter

Couldn't you just make something up then?

Member#

Here's the latest on the manual Zeiss:
    CN= Line will be actual, made by Zeiss lenses by the stupid name Loxia. Many will be released this year making it sound like the M-mount lenses will be made to native E.

Zeiss will soon announce a new line of lenses named “Loxia”. It will be made for the Full Frame Sony E-mount system! The characteristic of those lenses are:

- They are native E-mount Full Frame lenses
    - These are designed and made by Zeiss itself. These are not Zeiss branded and Sony manufactured lenses like the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 FE for example.
    - These are manual focusing prime lenses (allows a more compact design).
    - They have a physical aperture ring on the lens.
    - Made of very high material quality.
    - There will be many of such lenses coming the next 12 months.

Exciting!!! Stay tuned on SAR. I am working to get the lens specs as soon as it gets….

I have no specs of the new lenses yet but Zeiss already made manual focusing lenses for “non-DSLR”. These are the Zeiss “Full Frame” ZM analog camera lenses:
    Distagon T* 2,8/15 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    Distagon T* 4/18 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    C Biogon T* 4,5/21 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    Biogon T* 2/35 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    Planar T* 2/50 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    Sonnar T* 2/85 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).
    Tele-Tessar T* 4/85 ZM (Click here to see price on eBay).

Member#

After my NYC Trek this weekend with the D800 and A7, I can see myself with a 21. I might actual give a Voightlander a spin cause of the price difference.

Let me say that the angles the A7 provides coupled with the focus peaking make the A7 series a winner! Not that the D800 was bad, but not having to lie on the group to get some of the shots I wanted was very, very important.

Member#

First lenses will be 35 and 50mm, both f/2

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by ppower View Post
    Hmm, will stick to getting the the 35 2.8 for now. Also thinking of adding an 85 1.4 from Rokinon.

Member#

Instead of filling up the buy thread, I thought I'd come here. Now, I have a Rokinon 14mm that I use quite a bit these days when I need to shoot architecture and can then crop down as needed since my resolution is already overkill. It's a great value, but consider the large size of it especially once the adapter is on. I find that mine does not meter accurately, so I have to shoot manual and adjust by the +/-. Then there is the weird mustache distortion that Photoshop lens correction often just cannot completely fix. It's sharp as I ever need it to be, but it might be more of a temporary UWA solution until you save up for something else. That was my plan in getting it until I could get a 14-24. Now I'll either wait for the Sigma 14-24 or likely a native lens if I go mirrorless.

I've said before, the Voigtlander 15 is nice and tiny and works well on the A7s but has issues on the A7. You decide if it works for you. http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/0...even-norquist/

Member#

I took the D800 to Boston on Saturday because I needed wide and so I just went with the 28-75. I think eventually the 16-35 will be the ticket, but for now the Rok might be the best choice. I need to read up more on the Voiglander though.

Member#

16-35mm f/4 reported 1350 Euro and will ship early October.

Member#

16-35mm f/4 reported 1350 Euro and will ship early October.
    Ohh the price! Maybe eventually.

I forgot to add the 10-18mm into as well, esp since I use the 5T. It is supposed to be good at the 16-17mm range on the A7.

I just saw this yesterday. Why are Zeiss duplicating the two primes they already have for FE? Bah.

Member#

I just saw this yesterday. Why are Zeiss duplicating the two primes they already have for FE? Bah.
    An 85 or 21/24 would have been more exciting. I do like the extra bits they are putting into these, like auto magnification when focusing, but why start with similar focal lengths?

Member#

The 50 is silly to me, but at least the 35 is a stop faster. Now their 18mm f/4 would have been interesting and similar price point to have quite wide but still small. Their 15mm f/2.8 is $4600 so that's a big cup of nope. I know it's Zeiss, but if I'm buying a manual focus lens, I'd like there to be some added value. I must be spoiled by Rokinon pricing.

Speaking of Rokinon, I posted in the Samyang 12mm thread, but they are going to announce a new wide angle photo (not video) lens. What if this were to be a FF version of the 12mm? Even a 17mm f/2.8 for up to FF mirrorless? Something to keep an eye out for.

Does it sound like these Zeiss lenses are all the way open when focusing and then stop down when shooting? Everything I'm reading about them is translated from the original Aramaic by sadists.

Dear Zeiss,

Please, the 2.8/25 and the 2/85. I will pay your extortionary prices. I am a fool.

Member#

Fedex delivered the 35 2.8 Sonnar today. The flipping thing is small!

Member#

Does it sound like these Zeiss lenses are all the way open when focusing and then stop down when shooting? Everything I'm reading about them is translated from the original Aramaic by sadists.

Dear Zeiss,

Please, the 2.8/25 and the 2/85. I will pay your extortionary prices. I am a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by rkane View Post
    Fedex delivered the 35 2.8 Sonnar today. The flipping thing is small!
    That's what she said

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post

That's what she said
    Well I was just testing out the water resistance and the damn thing shrunk!

Member#

Member#

so is there any additional infos available now?
    Stupidity angers me.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

so is there any additional infos available now?
    Lots of infos! A 35 f2 and a 50 f2. The Zeiss Loxia line.

Member#

A 90mm Macro? I might be a happy camper.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-i...ns-coming-too/

I have been think to myself when doing the flower/bee/dragon fly shots, that a native macro lens would be super. At that focal length and most likely f2.8 that would make for a decent portrait lens as well.

Member#

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-f...prime-to-come/

So now let's official add:
    16-35 f4
    24-240 f3.5-6.3 OSS
    28 f2 with a wide angle and fisheye adapter
    35 f1.4 Zeiss Distagon T* ZA
    90 f2.8 Macro G OSS

The 16-35 due later this year, and most other by March 2015.

I see a 90 2.8 for my birthday order.

the 16-35 is enough to make me almost order one with an a7r, at least to try one....
    the 35mm 1.4 also makes it a system for me...

if course the 16-35mm is bigger and heavier (but thinner diameter) -vs- canon's 17-40. Yes the system would be lighter and yes it adds IS but still...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

The 35 1.4 looks HUGE. I mean, it's almost as big as the 24-240mm in the picture. The 28mm looks reasonable but then becomes huge with the adapters. They certainly aren't pancakes like the APS-C. To be honest, seeing these turns me off, but I shouldn't really judge until seeing them on the cameras. Maybe they just look long in the picture.

Member#

www.photographyblog.com has some hands on photos with some of them on cameras. They look much better than the above photo.
    Last edited by ppower; 09-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Member#

www.thephotographyblog.com has some hands on photos with some of them on cameras. They look much better than the above photo.
    Yeah, the group shot photo seems elongated. The photoblog shots look great, but let's hope the girl holding the lenses does not have man hands!

The lenses look great though. I like the finish. Reminds me of the Sigma Art series.

So a 28, 35 f/1.4, the existing 35 f/2.8 and no big aperture 85? Sony perplexes me muchly.

The 28 is damn close to the perfect lens for me though. Just in time for them to come out with a dSLR and the new Sigma lenses to tempt me away...

the 16-35mm looks great. The 35mm looks big but it's sony so I'm not surprised. I'm thinking the fuji lenses are sexier and that lineup is getting nicely fleshed out already, nevermind once the 16/90/140-400/16-55 are available...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum