+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony FE Lens News Thread

Member#

That's the one Andy! Was on my phone earlier and could not link.

After checking out the 55 1.8 at Photo Plus, I am excited about where Sony is heading. I will wait to see what the macro can bring in terms of portraits and hopefully by then more details on that last lanes comes out(85 1.8?)

The 16-35 looked awesome in size and if the quality is there, it will be a big winner.

As a walk around in a jacket pocket nothing beats the A7(x)/35FE combo.

For events, the 16-35 and 55 1.8 combo as Preston mentioned would be killer. Or maybe even an A7s/16-35 and A6000/50 1.8 setup!

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

I've only ever had the 55/1.8 and it is the best 50ish prime i've ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbert View Post
    It's not the thrill of the shoot....It's the thrill of the chaise.
    Dan's Flickr

Member#

The rumors on the 85 seem to flux between it being 1.4 or 1.8, but given past performance of lenses a stop too slow, my guess is 1.8.

Quote Originally Posted by ppower View Post
    The rumors on the 85 seem to flux between it being 1.4 or 1.8, but given past performance of lenses a stop too slow, my guess is 1.8.
    But then it is just weird at 35mm. I just can't believe that they have Zeiss lenses at 1.4, 2 and 2.8. So what are they doing there? Will there be an 85mm f/1.4 next year? Just seems like it is being done in sort of a random way.

Member#

Well, there is the Zeiss Loxia MF 35mm f/2 Biogon, so that effectively fills that spot. With that, I can see how there is room for a 35mm f/1.4 autofocus, but man, that thing is going to be expensive. I'm ready to be proven wrong, but so far Sony has shown that they don't intend to offer f/1.4.

I think they will offer FE f/1.4 as AF speed increases and they can market it as a DSLR replacement. However, with the big lenses, you will want the battery grip for better balance with the DSLR sized lenses. It appears more and more that their goal is to replace the SLT bodies with mirrorless, and there will likely even be big pro bodies that just take the LA-EA3 adapter to use A-mount lenses and existing A-mount lenses. Sony is going for this modular design as I was trying to work myself into when I first got my NEX. I still think it makes sense and creates a holistic approach.

seeing the lenses first hand at expo helped. The 16-35 is basically the same size as the fuji XT1 with the 10-24mm. Slightly bigger (and the 16-35mm is NOT an internal focuser so it "grows" ) but it's closer to that than even a canon 17-40mm. The 24-70 wasn't bad either. The 55 and 35 are both fine. F/1.8 doesn't bug me all that much? I mean I LOVE that my fuji 56mm is 1.2, don't get me wrong, but I think they're going for smaller lenses and just not bothering with that last half stop?

Here's my thing. I really want to try one. The a7s' AF was quite good in their pitch black demo booth. But of course it's the most expensive option. I feel like the a7r is the most likely to get updated/replaced next. Basically I don't want to buy an a7r now feeling it's price will drop soon and or be replaced by something I'd rather pay full price for. I just have so many ideas with the a7s... But again, it keeps coming back to the lenses. The only lens I know I'd keep is the 16-35mm. When that lens came to fuji (the 10-24mm) it allowed me to sell my canon kit. It'd make sony a viable arch and landscape option but not weddings/family. So I'd be waiting again.

Eventually, my dream kit would be the a7s and a7r paired with the 16-35mm, either the 24-70 or some sort of 70-300. Then a 35mm 1.x and a 85mm 1.x. Basically my canon kit but with one MP body and one ISO body.

The kicker is all the lenses I want exist for the a6000 non f, e-mount. I'm half tempted to get those lenses and just use them an a7 body to just see what it'd be like in terms of the ISOs etc.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

link to the guy with the a7 and 55mm again please?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    Dammit! That guy's work makes me want an A7 body. Of course for me if I get one to try I just need a couple of adapters for my manual lenses.

Member#

Stuck in Customs review of the 70-200FE. http://www.stuckincustoms.com/sony-FE-70-200-review/

Uh... I kind of like the older pics he took with the 60D and the 135 f/2

Stranger #21 by Martin Kühn, on Flickr

Member#

Yeah! This dude just has skill! The Oly 75 1.8 shots rule as well, so maybe all his cameras take good pictures?

Member#

Maybe his cameras can teach my cameras something.

Member#

His cameras certainly take nice pictures.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

Key: use a fast lens, and focus on a hot chick. And I recently shot with the Nikon 135 f/2,DC and about has me ready to stay with a DSLR just to get that amazing lens.

Quote Originally Posted by rkane View Post
    Stuck in Customs review of the 70-200FE. http://www.stuckincustoms.com/sony-FE-70-200-review/
    his processing is hit or miss with me (I do like his HDR scapes a lot of the time?) and he doesn't even talk about it's size?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Uh... I kind of like the older pics he took with the 60D and the 135 f/2
    Quote Originally Posted by rkane View Post
    Yeah! This dude just has skill! The Oly 75 1.8 shots rule as well, so maybe all his cameras take good pictures?
    yeah, he's a master of good portrait lenses. He's got a bunch with the 60D with the 50mm as well that are also amazing. When you scroll his feed you can't really see a change in his images at all from an a7 to a MFT to a canon cropper. So yeah, obviously it's him.

I recently shot with the Nikon 135 f/2,DC and about has me ready to stay with a DSLR just to get that amazing lens.
    dude, get a rok 85mm 1.4 and toss it on a cropper, they're VERY close!!!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

oh, and my beef with the 70-200 is it's actually bigger and heavier than canon's f/4 IS version. This is a mirrorless camera system, lenses are supposed to be a bit smaller -vs- an SLR version thanks to the lack of a mirror no? I'm hoping they come out with either a 28-135 lens (that's not a cine lens! ) or a 70-300 type zoom that's smaller and variable aperture but sharp. I've always gone with a 2 lens landscape setup so if I went this route I'd just go with a 16-35 & 24-70 for now I guess, but that's way more overlap than I'd like. I've been enjoying the 10-24 and 18-135 pair on fuji though, I don't need longer than that and I like having my second lens be smaller.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

oh, and my beef with the 70-200 is it's actually bigger and heavier than canon's f/4 IS version. This is a mirrorless camera system, lenses are supposed to be a bit smaller -vs- an SLR version thanks to the lack of a mirror no? I'm hoping they come out with either a 28-135 lens (that's not a cine lens! ) or a 70-300 type zoom that's smaller and variable aperture but sharp. I've always gone with a 2 lens landscape setup so if I went this route I'd just go with a 16-35 & 24-70 for now I guess, but that's way more overlap than I'd like. I've been enjoying the 10-24 and 18-135 pair on fuji though, I don't need longer than that and I like having my second lens be smaller.
    I hear you on the size and actually I was wondering earlier today why Sony does not do a 70-300 f4-5.6G lens for FE.

yeah, if you had tamron's version (which aren't they in bed together?) and ported it I'd be good enough?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I forgot the 24-200 is coming out. That might be something to thing over.

my problem there is the same as the 18-200s (I'm assuming it'll be a similar design). They're SO ****ing long when extended they're hard to shoot on a tripod. Like longer than 70-200 long and these bodies are tiny. Maybe they'll give it a tripod collar? That's why I like the 18-135. It's just right. Sony has TWO good options on APS-C though, the 16-50 (which is basically the 24-70?) and the 18-105. I like the range of fuji's better but the sony version is quite a bit smaller. The sony 24-70 f/4 is actually slightly smaller than fuji's 18-135. Totally different ranges, but sony's is f/4 and both are sealed. As of right now I could deal with a 16-35 and 24-70 pair for landscape and arch. I've always gone with cheap tele options because I'm not a huge tele person, I just want something in the bag in case I "need" it. But a 55-200 could cover that base as well (and either crop it on a a7 body or use it on my NEX5).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

i'm thinking the 24-70 ain't too bad in the right hands.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dennis...n/14831461668/

very nice. He's got some great long exposures.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Looks like the 85mm 1.4/1.8(?) will be announced in the Spring and out later in the year.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-f...n-spring-2015/

I am wondering if an Alpha mount 85mm 2.8 with the Adapter would work as a nice stop gap? I am hesitant to get a Rok 85 1.4 since I have the Nikon 105mm AI 2.5 already. Decisions, decisions.

They are really running out of time to get that 28mm lens out this year...

Member#

I think as long as they officially announce it, they count it.

Every time I've pre-announced a product I've regretted it. All it does is stifle sales of what you currently have. Just seems dumb especially if you have no idea when it would actually come out.

Member#

I think as long as they officially announce it, they count it.
    This. There is even an * on the items to specify as such.

Last edited by rkane; 11-14-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Member#

Basically, the roadmap shows what can be had the following year. Mindful of this, 2016 just might be the year that they get bodies sorted out and lenses fleshed enough to make the change.

2016 just might be the year that they get bodies sorted out and lenses fleshed enough to make the change.
    Agreed. By 2016 there will be something else shiny and I will be on to that.

Oh, shiny.

Shiny.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Agreed. By 2016 there will be something else shiny and I will be on to that.

Oh, shiny.

Shiny.

Yeah not a single lens has shipped yet this year? The 16-35 is due next week but didn't they get the 24-70 out at the end of 2013? I'm excited for the 28mm. Especially with the fisheye adapter. It'll be the smallest and fastest lens they've got. Its like Fuji's 18 but with the a7s there's isos to make it work. The 55 works for me as an 85 if you swap to crop mode. An 85 would be rad since it'd do the same and do 135 in crop mode....
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

70-200 and 24-70 were 2014 lenses. But yeah, why only two?

ah, I thought both made it out last year. But to me a lenses release year is when you can BUY it. Not when they tell us about it. That's cheating! "Well we have 20 lenses, but you can only buy 5"...

B&H has updates their 16-35 page to say:
    Item available for preorder and will ship beginning Tue, Nov 18
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_16_35mm.html

I've never really noticed an exact date on those pages before? But the sony reps also said it'd ship "in a few weeks" at expo so fingers crossed. That lens is what pushed me to sony. I've said all along I'd see once they had an UWA but after seeing it at the show next to my 10-24 on my fuji and seeing the a7s in person it REALLY got me thinking.

and yeah, to go back to the 28mm. I've always had one wider faster lens in the 24/28/35mm range. I'm not sure at this point if I have a preference. In my old smaller house I loved the 24mm. When we moved I sold a bunch of gear to help up with expenses. I bought the 35mm because it was a better wedding lens and I LOVED it there. I still liked it with my family but have often wondered about a 24 again. With fuji I like the 18mm a lot, especially because it's small. So yeah, the 28mm will be a nice lens, especially at f/2 and being on the smaller side. I'm excited to see how I like that FL once it's my only option (with fuji I tend to use the 18 when I want small and the 23 when I want speed and just make either FL work).

I have the 16mm on my NEX with the Fisheye adapter and it's always been a great pocket option. It'll still win at that anyway (especially on the a6000). But I like the add on FE option as well. I've loved the rokinon FE on fuji but I think I'll likely end up with the 28mm and FE adapter as it's replacement?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

just got the email from B&H that the 16-35mm is "in stock": http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_16_35mm.html
    it's not showing it on the site though so the email is either fast and the site just isn't updated or the email is slow and they're already sold out?
    my order is listed as "in stock, order sent to warehouse"...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Yeah!

Member#

I love the idea if the 28mm and a wide adapter to about 21mm IIRC. Cropping down to 35 from the 28 is no big mp loss.

Member#

Stop with the fuzzy math! My head hurts.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

I love the idea if the 28mm and a wide adapter to about 21mm IIRC. Cropping down to 35 from the 28 is no big mp loss.
    Yeah, and I loved having the 21mm effective on the Fuji. I cropped a lot but it was cool when I didn't have to. And the perspective is just a fun one.

I hope that lens is good. And I hope that the adapter doesn't make it bad... or worse.

lens should be here tomorrow! A7s arrived today. 100k ISO seems out (looking at the back of the camera) but 51k seems passable? We'll see over time and with RAWs in LR. The menus are WAY different though so I've got to relearn a bunch of things. I got it used so whoever used it first had it setup for video and with a weird tweak on the AWB so it was very underwhelming at first... It asked for the time/date so I assumed it'd been reset but I guess not?

As for lenses, I have the 16mm E with the fisheye adapter. The adapter isn't as good as a rokinon fe but it's very convenient... The 16mm also catches a lot of crap for being soft off center (which it is) but I love it for it's size. I just wish it was f/2 like fuji's 18mm... I'm VERY excited for the 28mm though. f/2, smaller than the 35mm so win win. PLUS the FE adapter. The wide adapters don't do much for me because I need filters on my wides and the adapters have fixed hoods... These adapters look much bigger than the 16mm versions though but we'll see once they're available.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

what the ****?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...rorless-camera
    Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM II Lens

Alongside the a7II, Sony Japan has also announced the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM II A-mount lens for their Alpha DSLT lineup. This updated telephoto zoom lens employs a new nano AR coating to better reduce flare and ghosting for improved clarity and contrast. The AF motor has also received a notable upgrade to quicken its overall performance, which pairs well with the weather-resistant design to benefit its use in difficult shooting conditions.

This lens construction incorporates extra-low dispersion glass to reduce chromatic aberrations and distortions throughout the zoom range. It also retains the 3.9’ minimum focus distance of its predecessor and features a rounded 9-blade diaphragm for smooth out-of-focus areas.

why are they making a new a mount lens? is that new a9 going to be amount?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

This lens has been in the works for a while and they have to appease the a-mount folks with something! But yeah, we need some FE mount version!

Member#

The question really posed is still what the future of A-mount is. The only new lenses are updates to "old" current designs, but there is nothing completely new even in the rumor mill. What are A-mount cameras going to offer that isn't possible/available in FE? Are they going to leave fast lenses for A-mount and slower for FE, and if so, will they ever get sensor PDAF to play nice with A-mount lenses? Everything A-mount is currently just a massive financial risk.

so what's the deal with the LAEA4? I know I know I know, I said I'd never use a lens with an adapter because it ruins the point of the smaller camera. And I'm still 100% in agreement with that. But I'm considering a super long lens where size is obviously not a concern at that point. I'm considering another tamron 150-600. If I got it in sony mount with the LAEA4 it's AF should be about what it was on my 5Diii if I'm reading things right? How much light do you lose to the mirror? The bonus there is it'd also work on my a6000 making it a 225-900....
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

You lose about 1/3 stop according to specs, but it feels more like 2/3 stop. More reason why the A7s is awesome where that is a non-issue. I have an LA-EA2.

when I'd be using this light really wouldn't be an issue anyway (outside in daylight). tempting once that sony version of the tamron ships. I need to settle in on a sony kit if I'm going to first though...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Yes, but the Tamron will not include VC, so you would want the A7ii for IBIS. It makes me mad that they charge the same for the Sony mount but deletes the VC making it not work on the A99.

Member#

i have the LA-EA4, i'd say its close to 2/3 as well.

it completely changes the focus points/style, as in it doesn't even look the same. im still trying to figure out how to play with it, but i've only used it once/twice
    Dan's Flickr

Member#

i have the LA-EA4, i'd say its close to 2/3 as well.

it completely changes the focus points/style, as in it doesn't even look the same. im still trying to figure out how to play with it, but i've only used it once/twice
    Dan's Flickr

Member#

Also on the LA-EA2/4, there are fewer focus points and all in the center as Sony has no full frame specific SLT layout which is a real bummer. This was another negative about the A99 that caused me to balk as it is essentially the same system.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum