+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ditch the kit and get something else?

Member#

Pulled the trigger tonight - actually stopped at best buy to get it but they didn't have it (wtf). Here in Oregon with no sales tax it actually makes sense to buy something in a physical store, but since they didn't I amazon'ed it up and will have it Monday.

Plan is to get this, try it out with the kit lens, then decide on building the kit, getting an adapter for canon glass, or ??

I'm still thinking hard about an x70 for an everyday carry camera for me - kind of thinking it'd be a "buy that and force a photo a day" thing to get me back into photography more. The iP6 does a decent job for all around shooting but I feel like I want better IQ than what I'm getting and of course more control of the image. I can get that with the a6300 but my hope is to get Kris hooked on that and swap all the older Canon stuff out (maybe).

I will say the 5D with the 24L will be the last thing to go for sure. I may just keep that and the 17-40 with the 5D.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

I would only go the adapter route if you're going to get some vintage manual lenses. Sony has some fantastic lenses.

plus you're going APS-C and your canon lenses are FF so they're massive but you're also dealing with the conversion factor. IE with an A7 (sony FF) I'd adapt the 17-40 in a heartbeat but not so much for the a6300. Sell the 17-40 and but the 10-18mm, you will NOT regret it. You'll have better IQ in a pint sized package. It's comically small really when you think what that pair does.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    plus you're going APS-C and your canon lenses are FF so they're massive but you're also dealing with the conversion factor. IE with an A7 (sony FF) I'd adapt the 17-40 in a heartbeat but not so much for the a6300. Sell the 17-40 and but the 10-18mm, you will NOT regret it. You'll have better IQ in a pint sized package. It's comically small really when you think what that pair does.

I love the A6300/ 10-18, I take quite a bit of the family stuff with it actually. I still have the 35 2.8 FE lens, but might swap it out for the 35 1.8 and 50 1.8.

Member#

What lens is the most pancakey for the smallest possible family shooter?

16-50pz
    16mm 2.8
    20mm 2.8

The new 50mm 1.8 that's FE is also very small and light and ~$200 (just got it's price dropped) and great. There is a prior E mount (non full frame) version that I think adds OSS but costs $300. They're not pancake small but they're smaller than canon's 50mm 1.8 if you remember it's size. There's also a 28mm f/2 that's full frame but since you're on crop I'd give up the half stop and get the 20mm as it's a better FL on crop and half the size.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

The 16-50pz is what I have from my kit right?

I think that 20mm looks promising, do any of you have some sample images with it?
    Last edited by thechickencow; 09-14-2016 at 03:23 PM.

I think Andy had/has one but here's the flickr group: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2168370@N24/
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Yeah, I have the 20mm and I like it a lot BUT I use it on my A7R which it is not designed for. But it makes it a killer pocket camera. Here are my shots from London with it.

Heavy, angry vignette built into the lens. The rear element has a molded cover that is rectangular. I'm sure if they would have made it round this would have worked perfectly on the full frame.

For APS-C, the center seemed pretty sharp. I have to bump the contrast a bit to get it to compare to the Zeiss lenses but it holds pretty good. And it is tiny. I would definitely have it with a 6300 but that is my preferred focal length also.

This shot gives you a good idea of the lens on full frame:

The Tree, Boss (Sony A7Rii and E20mm f/2.8) by Andy Henry, on Flickr

Member#

Seriously considering just saying **** it and ordering a 5Div

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
    Seriously considering just saying **** it and ordering a 5Div
    Well, if it helps the marriage, then by all means..

Probably similar reason why I am looking at a used Olympus EM-1. Larger DSLR-like body is better suited for my hands than the smaller EM-5. Still on the fence though. Waiting for the release of the Mk II before deciding.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

Talked to Kris, I think neither of us is really up for selling and buying all new lenses along with getting into the sony. I think what it comes down to is the total package isn't really that much smaller? What I've floated out there is if we return this we'd pick up a x100t or x70 to try as our everyday shooter while we're on the go (around the house the 5D & 24L are still the workhorse).

For me, I am OK shooting with the sony but I have gotten so used to shooting fast primes that the kit lens is totally uninspiring to me and the results are just not as good in comparison. I know it can be competent and can produce good images but maybe we're just used to the other stuff too much?

Member#

There are several great primes in all of the mirrorless systems. But in a the end, what matters most is a camera you will pick up and shoot with. Not leave on the shelf.

dude, you're comparing a full frame DSLR with an amazingly fast prime to a aps-c mirrorless with a craptacular kit lens... The sony lens is good at being small, nothing else. It's the optical equivalent of canon's 28-135 from oh two decades ago... And don't give me the bull**** about it not being smaller. The a6300 is MUCH smaller than a FF DSLR kit. Hell my a7rii kit is much smaller/lighter and the step from it to the a6300 is a bigger step.

I can totally understand not wanting to switch and adding an x100t/x70 is a great option but yeah, your reasons don't add up. If you want to give it an honest try at least get it one good/fast lens. But if you don't like the feel by all means switch back while you can. Just realize the a6300 is as capable a camera as the 7Dii if given the same quality glass.
    http://camerasize.com/compact/#656.360,328.16,wd,t
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

If bright primes are what you're looking at, crop in the Sony isn't that grand and you have to step up to full frame. Fuji has the lenses in crop, however. Here is a comparison between the cameras with a 24ish mm fast prime. The mirrorless is a fair amount smaller and lighter.

Just speaking from my experience, I couldn't go back to an OVF camera especially with fast primes. The ability to have peaking and zoom in for critical focus is of utmost importance to me. Autofocus is fine but you end up with a lot of clunkers wide open.

I do understand wanting a small camera for on the go and being frustrated with the options. I'm constantly fighting this as well and am currently fudging the size bit and going with a Leica Q. I'm just not as happy with the focal length options, DOF and IQ of the smaller options. The X100 is great on size and usability, the DOF is alright, the lens is too long for me and with the 28mm adapter it is as big as the Q, and 16mpix xtrans sensors give me fits. The 6300 would be the answer with an f/2 or faster 18mm lens. Actually the LX100 isn't too bad but DOF is lacking and it has a really, really weird auto exposure algorithm that pushes the ISO up quick.

Member#

dude, you're comparing a full frame DSLR with an amazingly fast prime to a aps-c mirrorless with a craptacular kit lens... The sony lens is good at being small, nothing else. It's the optical equivalent of canon's 28-135 from oh two decades ago... And don't give me the bull**** about it not being smaller. The a6300 is MUCH smaller than a FF DSLR kit. Hell my a7rii kit is much smaller/lighter and the step from it to the a6300 is a bigger step.

I can totally understand not wanting to switch and adding an x100t/x70 is a great option but yeah, your reasons don't add up. If you want to give it an honest try at least get it one good/fast lens. But if you don't like the feel by all means switch back while you can. Just realize the a6300 is as capable a camera as the 7Dii if given the same quality glass.
    http://camerasize.com/compact/#656.360,328.16,wd,t
    It's not that it's not smaller, it's that it's not enough smaller to make it that much better. Once I add in different lenses and build a new kit I suspect I'll still be at 2/3 of the total weight and no more likely to be taken when our hands are already full with 3 kids and a dog. My expectation was to buy a camera that's 11+ years newer and have it produce better results with similar glass. I didn't expect the kit lens to amaze me but I didn't research enough what lens to buy with it to give it a good shot. I'm likely to return this now and if I do decide to buy again do it and get a fast prime at the same time to give it another shot.

Probably what I'll do if I return this is head to Best Buy and buy a x100t or x70 right off the shelf and use that for a couple weeks and see how we like it in comparison. I think for how we shoot it could be good or may have the same issues. Where I see it as being better is the low light performance and IQ right off the bat. Size it will be similar to the a6300 w/kit lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    ..... The 6300 would be the answer with an f/2 or faster 18mm lens. ......
    Yeah, so I'm not seeing that a lens like that exists. What lens will find it's 90%+ permanent home on the 6300? Not even worrying about cost I don't see that existing?

With sony it's the 2.8s but realize the ISOs are there to make that the same IQ just not DOF. There's a 30 something and 50 that are 1.8. There's a 28mm f/2.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

With sony it's the 2.8s but realize the ISOs are there to make that the same IQ just not DOF. There's a 30 something and 50 that are 1.8. There's a 28mm f/2.
    There is also the 24mm 1.8. But yeah nothing in the 16-18 range that would replace his 24 on FF.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#328.16,656.85,wd,t

Member#

Shipping it back to amazon this week.

I may (if I get time) grab a x100t from BB this week and give it a shot.

cold-blooded internet insult machine Markitos's Avatar
    Member#

I know this may be a step in the wrong direction, but my X-T2 just came today, and it is SOLID. I resisted this path for a long time because it's a bit bigger than the X-E line, but recently I've been hankering for a DSLR for the faster focus and just generally faster operation. I'll have to wait till the shine wears off, but the X-T2 has put the hankering to rest for the time being. It's a bit bigger, yes, but the whole system is still much smaller/lighter than a DSLR kit, and the camera itself is still pretty small, just bigger than I'm used to. It feels a lot more like a DSLR in terms of operation, too.

Which is all to say, you might try out an X-T1 or X-T10?

And I'm not trying to be Fuji-biased, I just don't have any experience with the Sonys.
    “Sharpness is a Bourgeois concept.” -- Henri Cartier-Bresson

Member#

So I stopped at BB and grabbed a x100t today, I'm impressed so far. Just a few quick snaps from around, straight from the camera. I have some tweaking to do on settings but for day one just figuring things out it's very promising as a "pick it up and shoot" camera. I need to figure out the focus modes better as it's just on one point in the center - I need to figure out the focus and recompose with a back button (how do i do that on fuji) or something else. The DOF is too thin on both of these for where it focused and the subject. Played a bit and got one to go to the phone super easy via app which is neat.

Last edited by thechickencow; 09-23-2016 at 12:15 AM.

it should have either face or eye (or both) focus which I think works quite well with the new firmware.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I should update, the x100t is back at Fuji right now, it for some reason had an electrical issue. It would just show a completely black LCD but no response to anything. No idea what/why it did it. Should have it back soon.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
    I should update, the x100t is back at Fuji right now, it for some reason had an electrical issue. It would just show a completely black LCD but no response to anything. No idea what/why it did it. Should have it back soon.
    Time to upgrade to the X100F
    2/16/17 release date, but you can pre-order at B&H or amazon.
    Stupidity angers me.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by tbert View Post
    Time to upgrade to the X100F
    2/16/17 release date, but you can pre-order at B&H or amazon.
    Honestly I'd consider it.

Member#

There is a link to a review of it in the Fuji thread. It definitely made me consider it.

Here is the link http://newschoolofphotography.com/sh...196#post718196
    Stupidity angers me.
    NSOP snapshooter

Member#

The x100f looks like it is going to be an amazing camera.

well, it looks like the same old same old to be honest but the small upgrades are nice (24mp sensor which is better for processing [don't need the MP in my pocket camera], AF joystick, bigger battery). That's not to say I'm not also considering one but if I had the X100t I wouldn't. And because of the new battery I won't keep my X70 if I do pick one up.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I don't feel the resolution is a limitation on the x100t. Bigger battery maybe but I have not used a whole battery yet in a day with the way I shoot. The joystick is interesting though but again, the way I shoot I am rarely doing anything outside of set it and forget it kind of shooting. Generally it's f/2, auto shutter and auto ISO with full autofocus going.

Member#

Update, it's back as of a bit over a week ago, it turned out to be an issue with the lens and they replaced it. Working great now, it's good to have it back, I really missed it.

Pro
    Member#

Looking at an upgrade/change. I've got my 2nd son on the way and I'll be doing another 365. Doing the 365 really emphasizes the best camera is the camera you have. That being said, I've been thinking it might be nice to pick up something smaller and more capable than our phones even though they've come a long way.

Reviewing the recommendations from up to 3 years ago now, it looks like any of these small mirrorless systems can match/surpass the IQ I can get out of my 5DmkII if I pair the body with a decent set of glass.

I'm not sure I'd completely replace, but perhaps it's possible.

Current gear w/ usage -

5DII w/ grip
    17-40 - 1%
    70-200 2.8 IS - 15%
    100 2.8 Macro IS - 14%
    Sigma 50 1.4 Art - 20%
    Sigma 35 1.4 Art - 50%
    580EXII - 50% -- Indoors in the evening I find getting the right mix of settings next to impossible when trying to shoot a scrambling child. May also be limitation of the 5DII with regards to low light performance.
    Wife's -
    SL1
    Tamron 18-270 100%

I rarely pop the 17-40 on my body anymore, but when I need something wide, it's nice to have. 35 is indoors, 50 outdoors. Portrait sessions end up bringing in the 100 and 70-200. Other thing i'd need is hotshoe or a way to trigger alienbees.

What say you.. oh by the way long time no see.

What's up dude, and congratz on #2!

if you're 50% with the 35mm and want small and light the sony a6300/a6500 come to mind with their 24mm. It's got amazing AF and IQ and that lens is a 35mm effective there and nice. You could also go full frame sony and get the 35mm 2.8 or the massive 35mm 1.4. Another option would be fuji's XT2 or Xpro2 (I'd highly recommend the newer bodies to get the new 24mp sensor) and fuji's awesome 23mm 1.4. Another option would be their X100f which has a 23mm f/2 that's outstanding and nice and small but that's a fixed lens option.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Pro
    Member#

Awesome, thanks for the pointers. How's the low light focus on these things? For a while I had a hot shoe trigger on my body just for AF assist beam.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum