+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apple folks--Magic Trackpad instead of Magic Mouse?

cold-blooded internet insult machine Markitos's Avatar
    Member#

Default  Apple folks--Magic Trackpad instead of Magic Mouse?  

I have been using a Magic Mouse since I got my Macbook pro, but increasingly I have issues where it will track erratically and then lose connection with my laptop. From what I have read, it is a software issue, a hardware issue, or both, depending on the source. At any rate, it is super annoying having to interrupt what I'm doing to turn off the mouse, turn it back on, and wait for it to reconnect.

I was looking at a wired mouse instead, but that's not an ideal solution for a variety of reasons--introduces a cord where I don't want one, takes up a valuable USB slot, etc.

That got me looking at the Magic Trackpad, since it doesn't move and seems like it might be more reliable. I have never had any issues with my wireless keyboard, FWIW.

If any of you folks use one, how do you like it operationally? Same as mouse, better than mouse, not as good as mouse?
    “Sharpness is a Bourgeois concept.” -- Henri Cartier-Bresson

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

Also interested in people's thoughts on this.

Member#

I've used one for programming. It's a great device, but I find track pads a bit limiting in multi-screen environments or for doing things like photo editing. YMMV.

I love my trackpad I ended up giving away my magic mouse. I use mine with a multi-screen setup with no problem. Editing I can see it being limiting just like a mouse can be over a Wacom tablet.

Member#

I have a MBP which essentially has the trackpad but I still really like he Magic Mouse.. I like how fast I can navigate with the mouse and have it where it is comfy vs having my hand on the laptop body .. Multi touch gestures are almost the same on the mouse and the trackpad.

Overall I'd stick with the mouse.

I have a very hard time editing photos with a trackpad. The mouse is necessary for me. I guess if I had a tablet for editing it wouldn't be a big deal.

I like the magic mouse but it seems that the swipe number of fingers is different on there than with a trackpad. That becomes confusing when trying to switch screens and scroll.

All of that said, I carry a wired logitech 3 button mouse in my bag. Mac mice are clever but buttons are better.

Member#

I love love love the Magic Mouse.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by Idjiit View Post
    I love it too, just wish it wouldn't keep cutting out on me. Of course because I've said that it's been playing nice all day....

Member#

Hey. Mine has been cutting out too (going to exchange it) mine cuts out when I lift it and tap it on the desk.

I figured out it was a battery issue that is corrected by folding up a small piece of paper between the battery door and the batteries themselves.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by a.hoglen View Post
    Hey. Mine has been cutting out too (going to exchange it) mine cuts out when I lift it and tap it on the desk.

I figured out it was a battery issue that is corrected by folding up a small piece of paper between the battery door and the batteries themselves.
    I've heard that--going to try that out and see if it helps. Thanks!

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I have a very hard time editing photos with a trackpad. The mouse is necessary for me.
    and this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Idjiit View Post
    Mark, I'd consider a new magic mouse since you like it and that one is just broken. I've had one since they were released now and have never had an issue. With the twitching issue make sure there's no hair in the eye, that's a problem here with the cat... But I've never had any other issues with it and I LOVE the no button aspect. I will say I finally ditched the wireless keyboard and went back to the USB version. I love having my 10 key back as well as having the 2 USBs on the keyboard (so net +1).

and I've heard using both is awesome... if so, get one of these: http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/magicwand/
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Yeah, I checked for dog hair the first eleventybillion times because I've had that issue with other optical mice. I put the paper in the battery compartment, will see how that goes. So far, so good.

cool, the hair thing drives me crazy!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Hey if you still have AppleCare on your computer you might be able to get them to replace it. My AppleCare policy warranties any apple accessories I use with my laptop so, it falls under that.

Just a thought.

Haven't been here in a while, but saw this and thought I'd give my 2 cents.

When I upgraded to my iMac a few years ago, I went on a crazy search to find the best mouse setup. I'm a little Type A and have to have the right fit for me. While the Magic Mouse works well, the ergonomics aren't great for me. After trying out many different models, I ended up going with the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. It has the best tracking, is super comfortable, and I can program the buttons to do many different tasks. I have the extra buttons do forward / back, launchpad, mission control / expose, and have the scroll wheel click do a screen capture. I used this in my right hand and have a magic trackpad to the left of the keyboard. I use the trackpad for scrolling around images, zooming, etc. I find this works really well and is super a super fast setup.

yeah, see, I'm a lefty so I don't get to have fancy mice.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    yeah, see, I'm a lefty so I don't get to have fancy mice.
    Ah...got it. You could always be like my accountant who is right handed, but uses his regular style mouse backwards with the buttons on the side towards him (down is up, and up is down). It's really weird to watch him whip through all the computer forms holding it like that.

I own this joint!
    gear list.

He uses it like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1atmv4iaww4msfc/mouse.JPG

again,
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

why?

Member#

Just as an update, I haven't had any issues since wedging some paper in the batter compartment. That may have been the issue--only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    why?
    He says it's too hard to use it the regular way. This comes natural to him.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by Markitos View Post
    Just as an update, I haven't had any issues since wedging some paper in the batter compartment. That may have been the issue--only time will tell.
    I had been doing he same and it had been working most of the time.

Today while in greenville (about an hour away), I took the mouse into the apple store at the mall and exchanged it for a new one under my AppleCare plan on my laptop (covers apple accessories used with the AppleCare covered device).

We will see if this one performs any better. I was going to test it tonight but I am sufficiently lazy.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by a.hoglen View Post
    I had been doing he same and it had been working most of the time.

Today while in greenville (about an hour away), I took the mouse into the apple store at the mall and exchanged it for a new one under my AppleCare plan on my laptop (covers apple accessories used with the AppleCare covered device).

We will see if this one performs any better. I was going to test it tonight but I am sufficiently lazy.
    So far, it is working out great. no connectivity issues, no loss of power and this one feels "different" it is a much more definite click. I can tap it on my desk and everything is good. Much happier.

Member#

I'll be picking one up soon.
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

BUMP!

so, my magic mouse has been flaking out on me lately? Not sure if it was a dead battery that set it off or what but it stopped working this past Friday. I plugged it in and charged it for 2 days and I couldn't get it to work after. Lots of googling, bluetooth reset, computer reset, a bunch of stuff and still dead. I noticed I had a few updates to install, one was for the OS and that seems to have done the trick? Just odd to me that it stopped working randomly but needed an OS update to work again? I also went to Seira after that as I was on el cap...

just FYI, random usb mice don't work well with macs. The pointer works fine but the scroll wheel is weird because apple applies momentum to how you're scrolling but they don't do that to the mouse wheel as it clicks. So it's workable short term but not something you want to live with for browsing.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

BUMP!

so, my magic mouse has been flaking out on me lately? Not sure if it was a dead battery that set it off or what but it stopped working this past Friday. I plugged it in and charged it for 2 days and I couldn't get it to work after. Lots of googling, bluetooth reset, computer reset, a bunch of stuff and still dead. I noticed I had a few updates to install, one was for the OS and that seems to have done the trick? Just odd to me that it stopped working randomly but needed an OS update to work again? I also went to Seira after that as I was on el cap...

just FYI, random usb mice don't work well with macs. The pointer works fine but the scroll wheel is weird because apple applies momentum to how you're scrolling but they don't do that to the mouse wheel as it clicks. So it's workable short term but not something you want to live with for browsing.
    That's a bummer. :/ My original Magic Mouse's right click stopped working, so I got the newer version to see if it was the mouse or the OS... I guess could still be either, but the new mouse is working fine. I'm not crazy about the USB charging thing on the bottom--I was perfectly happy using rechargeable AAs.

Member#

They did have an OS update a while back to fix flaxy bluetooth issues but it's weird that yours would develop those after working fine?

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post
    They did have an OS update a while back to fix flaxy bluetooth issues but it's weird that yours would develop those after working fine?
    Yeah, I tried a lot of different things, to no avail. I've had the mouse for awhile, so there's a good possibility it is hardware that's the problem, and the new magic mouse seems to back that up. Still, it works perfectly otherwise, so ???

yeah, I preferred the old AA version as well for lots of reasons. I kept spare batteries at my desk (eneloops in the charger) and could just swap them when it died. It was also cheaper. And it was easy to "reset" by pulling the batteries when needed. But the new one has a longer lasting battery and a "better" BT connection (but it seems that was my problem?). Nikki has the old one on her mac...

this is supposed to be a decent alternative: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DR8LA60
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

We have been using a PC usb mouse for a long time on ours as the kids are *******s and threw our magic mouse too much. It started getting flaky and instead of letting them totally ruin the expensive one we leave the crappy mouse by the mac.

I've been still quite impressed with the iMac we got in I think 2008? It's held up great and still performs well. It is getting a bit slower than other computers as they advance but the kids don't seem to care.

The only reason I swapped out the last iMac is it was too slow for 42mp RAW files in large batches... I now have a wired USB attached to my macbook pro (via a dock/hub) but ALSO have the BT magic mouse attached at the same time. So I can hide the magic mouse as needed or if it stops I can quickly grab the USB that's hidden but hooked up. Cool that you can have 2 hooked up at once.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum