+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Thoughts....

Personally I'd go with one prime and one zoom for what I shoot. The zoom is normally something I'd shy away from but w/o the wide option the 18-55 is my landscape lens for now. And it's really good! Like 24-105 good. So yeah, for me it'd be one prime and one zoom. So decide if you want the 35 maybe in place of the 18 or the 18-55 to hold you over until the 10-24 comes. If you're NOT landscaping though, then the 18/35 makes a lot of sense. A LOT of the fuji addicts are on prime only kits because the primes are SO good. And the 35mm is probably top of the list in terms of the best lens on this system. The 23 and 14mm would both be at the top with it.

I'll buy the 18mm back from you if you decide to go 35 BTW.

the one reservation I have with the fuji system -vs- how I use my DSLR is with the DSLR I'm quite happy with a dual prime (35/85) dual zoom (UWA/tele) setup. But the 55-200 is so much bigger than the 18-55 I keep wondering about just keeping the 18-55 and adding the 10-24 -vs- going 10-24 and 55-200. The 55-200 is amazing as well, it's just not small. And of course that's a relative thing, it's much smaller than my 70-300 for my DSLR which is again a TON smaller than my 70-200... But yeah, the 55-200 is quite big -vs- the kit which is something I'm considering. Basically how bad do I need that range on this system -vs- the space it takes. The system is all about being small light and easy for me. I also like owning just a few lenses so the choices are easy when I go out the door.

And my desire for the 18mm is to replace the 14mm which will be replaced by the 10-24mm when it's available. I love the 14mm but only bought it for landscapes. The 18 for me is going to be my ski/compact lens to make the XE2 fit in my jacket pocket a bit better.

So yeah, long winded post. But my ideal setup will be 18/23/56 and then 10-24/18-55 and then maybe the 55-200 again.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

My question then is why the 23mm vs 35mm when you have an x100s?

Ps: I really like the 18mm, and it will be the same for me a snowboarding/compact option.

Eric
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

I don't have an X100s (anymore).

Once I got the XE1 and got used to it's layout I fell out of love with the smaller controls on the X100. Once the 23mm arrived that sealed the deal. The only reason I want another 18mm is because the XE1 with 18mm is close enough to X100 size it works for me. I'm also considering a straight up P&S for that role though at this point because they cost less than the 18mm, and outside in daylight I'm not going to get a ton of separation anyway so the zoom might be more useful. I'm also considering making it a rugged...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

I'm 99% sure I'll be selling off my dslr. If I do I want to swap out my Canon gear for the 35mm/10-24 and then save for the 50-200. But i am intrigued by the 18-55 mm now.

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

Also, why is the 18-55 mm your landscape go to compare to the 18mm? Or is it just because you don't have it right now?

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

because the 18-55 has 18mm within it. I've NEVER landscaped with primes. Too restricting. I've tried it over the years with the rokinon 14mm for my canon kit and now the 14mm for fuji. They only work because they have to. For me each decimal FL change with a zoom makes a difference. The 18mm is a lens I want only because it's small and fast. The only odd part with my fuji thoughts is in going with 10-24 and 18-55 -vs- 10-24 and 55-200 (what I've done with my DSLR). That choice is based purely on size of the kit and the point of my small system. The 55-200 is as big as both of the other two zoom combined IMHO.

Oh, and the XE2 is in stock at B&H today:
    silver kit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html
    silver body only: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html
    black kit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html
    black body only: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    because the 18-55 has 18mm within it. I've NEVER landscaped with primes. Too restricting. I've tried it over the years with the rokinon 14mm for my canon kit and now the 14mm for fuji. They only work because they have to. For me each decimal FL change with a zoom makes a difference. The 18mm is a lens I want only because it's small and fast. The only odd part with my fuji thoughts is in going with 10-24 and 18-55 -vs- 10-24 and 55-200 (what I've done with my DSLR). That choice is based purely on size of the kit and the point of my small system. The 55-200 is as big as both of the other two zoom combined IMHO.

Oh, and the XE2 is in stock at B&H today:
    silver kit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html
    silver body only: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html
    black kit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html
    black body only: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html
    I think i'm almost 99.9% sure I'll let go of the DSLR (once I try out some stars and a timelapse) I don't have a need for super fast in the type of photography I shoot lately. Also, its not like my 60D is that fast as well, and if I do need something like that I'll rent a 7D with the needed lens.

My thoughts for what I want my kit to be (need to get some hands on before definitely set it) but for my needs/wants:

Bodies:
    Fuji X-E1
    Fuji x100 (but I was thinking about selling this to grab the X-E2, worth it?)

Lens:
    Fuji 10-24 (landscape go to lens)
    Fuji 18mm (like you said, fast and small when i want a pocket-able camera)
    Fuji 35mm 1.4 (portrait/street lens)
    Fuji 18-55mm or 55-200mm (we'll see where the next 6mths goes with my photography first)

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

swapping the X100 for an XE1 was a no brainer for me once I got the 18mm with the XE1. Same size (with the hood I had on the X100) if not smaller in a package I like better (in terms of layout/button size). The fact it means I can have one small camera is better to me. If I were shopping for a small only kit I'd probably go with the XM1 and the XE2 because the XM1 is actually smaller than the X100 (with the pancake 27mm). It also adds a flip out screen which to me is far more helpful than an OVF IMHO (from the X100).

The other lens I want to look at is the new non R type tele zoom fuji's making. I've heard the 16-50mm is actually a good lens too, at least stopped down. I wouldn't give up the f/2.8~f/4 of the 18-55 for it, but on a tele the smaller option might be better for me.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_8_xf_r.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_6_7_ois.html
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Starving
    Member#

anyone know how to enable the depth of field scale on the X-E2 evf/lcd while in MF? It seems to go away when I switch from auto focus while the X-E1 retains it. Also anyone use this scale with the X-E1 and find it accurate?

EDIT: it looks like the zoom and lenses without depth of field scale the camera will keep the scale in MF, but on the 14mm it disappears. That's really odd for fuji to program it that way.

the 14mm (and 23mm) have them on the barrel so they remove it from the screen. I agree with you that it's a PITA because sometimes I can't see the barrel where the camera is on the tripod when landscaping... It'd be nice to keep it on screen as well... But that's the logic at least.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Yeah, this is something I really, really don't like. One of the great things with shooting these cameras is that you can zone focus so easily because you can see what your range is through the viewfinder. On the 14mm it is merely annoying because you can stop down enough and have damn near everything in focus. But I bet the 23mm starts to become annoying.

cold-blooded internet insult machine Markitos's Avatar
    Member#

Tonight I have learned that the X-E2 is better than the 1 in crucial ways in a wedding setting. Will go into more detail later. Both are great and usable, though. EF-20 recycle time is terrible--really have to plan ahead.... Fits in your pocket, though!
    “Sharpness is a Bourgeois concept.” -- Henri Cartier-Bresson

I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Okay, so my thoughts from shooting a wedding in a dark venue:
    • The Continuous AF on the X-E2 makes shooting processionals/recessionals possible, but there were still some missed/OOF shots. In a dark venue, the X-E1 is too slow to focus and by the time you take the shot they'll have moved. The PDAF was also pretty crucial in low light, as it made the AF MUCH faster.
    • X-E2 has better AWB for sure, but I had some trouble under very warm (Christmas lights)--both cameras overcorrected and went blue. It was a pain to keep changing the AWB in this situation--if I have another event with crazy light differences, I'll probably just shoot in RAW to save myself some pain!
    • Having +/-3 EV control was important because the bride (in white, of course) was standing under spotlight.
    • Being able to see exposure in M was great when shooting with flash.
    • Both cameras won't focus while flash is recycling. I get why Fuji did this (so you know it's not ready), but I would love to be able to pre-focus and then take the shot when the flash is charged.
    • Flash recycle time is AWFUL, but I knew that going in, since it's tiny and only takes two AA and is a rebranded Sunpak flash. The flash is actually quite nice, just super slow. I got around it by thinking ahead, anticipating, and using higher ISOs so that I could use lower flash powers.
    • The Fuji colors are awesome--Love, love, love OOC JPEGs!
    • The cameras are still more fiddly for me than a DSLR... settings took longer to change than I felt they should, though I will say that part of it was that it was a tricky venue--light quantity, color, and temperature varied widely. Some custom settings could help here.
    • I didn't take as many photos as I normally would, partly because I was a "guest" and partly because I just didn't need to with the Fujis. I am really happy with the keepers I got, and wish I hadn't missed a few (almost all because of backfocus). Still, the keeper rate was pretty good, and I likely would've missed shots with a DLSR, too, just maybe in a different way.
    • I liked being able to beam some preview shots to Facebook almost in real-time for the folks who weren't able to make it to the wedding. I am enjoying the WiFi capability WAY, WAY more than I thought I would--i.e., I didn't think I'd ever use it.
    • The Auto-ISO of the X-E2 really helped as I went from bright spotlight to near-darkness in one turn. Can't wait to have it on the X-E1!!
    • I wish I'd had the opportunity to use the 18-55, but it was just too dark, so it stayed in the bag.
    • On the lens subject: I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyre ally want the 56/1.2. The 60's IQ is nice, but its handling was TERRIBLE in lowlight and it was basically unusable except for a few shots.
    • I am still having issues with the 18mm backfocusing in some situations where I wouldn't expect it to. I think it's more me needing more time with the CDAF, but it's annoying and I missed this shot because of it :

bride-8666 by markitos57, on Flickr
    Last edited by Markitos; 12-09-2013 at 08:13 AM.

great shot. I enjoyed seeing you posting them to FB too BTW. Weird that they won't let you focus while the flash recycles... Annoying! You should look into a bigger flash if you're doing a wedding with this though IMHO. Either their bigger version or just go with a canon etc but I'm not sure if you're using ETTL or M. Nice to hear the AWB is better, I had a feeling but couldn't compare. And this:

The cameras are still more fiddly for me than a DSLR... settings took longer to change than I felt they should, though I will say that part of it was that it was a tricky venue--light quantity, color, and temperature varied widely. Some custom settings could help here.
    yeah, I'm hoping that's just time with these cameras. I've had mine a lot longer than you have but haven't used it seriously quite as much. Shooting landscapes has helped me a lot because for those I'm in all manual controls where I'm using auto ISO for people so I have to re-setup each time I switch. But the Q menu still seems a bit fidgety for me at this point... I'm honestly faster with the items that are in the menu and I've just memorized where they are. And that's not a criticism of anything other than my ability to learn!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Yeah, I'm sure a significant part of it is me... I have been shooting DSLRs for such a long time, and shooting Canons for the last 6 or 7 years. Having the Q button in a different place on each camera doesn't help things, either. That said, it wasn't awful, just a bit slower than I would hope.

As for the flash, I'm going to keep looking at flash bracket options, since I don't want a regular-sized speedlight in the hotshoe--it just makes the camera so awkward and top heavy. The other problem with the EF-20 is that you can't swivel it to bounce off the ceiling in portrait orientation, so you need to bounce it off the wall or not shoot verticals.

This wedding was a glorious opportunity to have a dress rehearsal with these cameras, though, and they really shined in spite of some of the annoyances. They are so small they made navigating a crowded room much more manageable. I have confidence in them that they can do the job, which is the most important thing.
    Last edited by Markitos; 12-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.

yeah, a good small flash bracket is key. Let me know what you find, I'd love something for weddings with the big kit actually...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Two things that occurred to me this morning as I took a couple of photos of Isaac this morning with the X-E2:
    • Center Point focus was DSLR fast--no hunting, no hesitation
    • It would be INCREDIBLY useful to have the 9 focus points that have PDAF marked somehow--illuminated differently, or with a little box around them, or something. I mean, I know where they are, but a visual reminder would be helpful!

Member#

Mark/Ben,

How good is the 35mm? Thinking about getting it and swapping the 18mm out.

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by tehshortbus View Post
    Mark/Ben,

How good is the 35mm? Thinking about getting it and swapping the 18mm out.

Eric
    The 35 is generally regarded by reviewers as the best in a stable of very competent lenses, and my experience supports that. It's good enough for me that even though I prefer the wider FOV of the 23mm, I'm keeping the 35 for now, since I've found it works very capably as a portrait lens.

Things may change a bit once the 56/1.2 is available.

35mm is really good. Really, if anything the 18mm is the weakest of the primes. And it is really good.

Member#

Andy or Mark do you have an 18mm to compare shots?
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

I do, yes. What do you want to know? The 18's not bad, but the 35 is better. That said, I really enjoy using both of them. I also have the 18-55, and it's great too. There's not a bad apple in the bunch.

Member#

OK cool, Def need to just pick one up after I get back from Colorado. Also mark, is the xe2 THAT much faster AF than the xe1? Worth upgrading. I didnt see your answer to that question yet.

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

OK cool, Def need to just pick one up after I get back from Colorado. Also mark, is the xe2 THAT much faster AF than the xe1? Worth upgrading. I didnt see your answer to that question yet.

Eric
    The AF alone is not a great reason to upgrade from the X-E1 to X-E2... for me it's all of the other things--the better implementation of the (still not great) continuous AF, the +/-3 EV, the faster refresh of the EVF in low light, the better LCD, the clickier dials. There's no one thing that makes it worth upgrading, but taken all together, it still depends on what/how you shoot. I would probably sell the X-E1 and have two X-E2s, except for the View Mode button issue and the fact that the X-E1 is about to get a firmware update that addresses several of my gripes.

I can't tell you if it's worth it for you. It was for me, but I'm still using both, and for the most part, I use them interchangeably. I don't greatly favor one over the other, similar to when I had my 5D2 and 5D3--each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

I used both in the mountains, and most of the time didn't pay any attention to which one was which. I can say that I tend to use the X-E2 in changing light because of the auto-ISO feature (but the X-E1 is about to get that), and I use the X-E1 more for landscapey stuff since I can switch quickly between the EVF and the LCD (I know, I CONSTANTLY GRIPE ABOUT THIS, BUT IT'S ****ING ANNOYING!). The X-E2 is obviously better in low light.
    Last edited by Markitos; 12-17-2013 at 09:24 PM.

OK cool, Def need to just pick one up after I get back from Colorado.
    When you go to look, hit me up. I might be looking to let some of this stuff go. I am debating which lenses to keep as I am hanging on to the Xpro1 but I haven't made the final determination.

Member#

Just discovered that the remote that works on the X-E1 doesn't work on the X-E2... ****ing annoying.

EDIT: Nevermind, just tried it again and it worked.
    Last edited by Markitos; 12-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    right, but you'll need a lens so start with something and go from there. The 18mm is what I'd suggest (it's what I started with).
    we'll work something out when the time comes.

here's my most recent mod:

it could use some tweaks but I was having issues with my drill press depth limiter moving on me and the tiny ridge it left actually makes the pin tough to move which might be perfect. Elias helped me too so it's "good enough" for now. I actually found the second bracket from my X100s (after I sold it) so I can have a second go at it if I need to. Oh, and I have the thumb grip on the XE1 now too, combined with the grip it's pretty awesome.
    Ben,

Where did you get the "ball" part? I want to do this to with mine.

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

This part?:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ector_for.html
    you then need some sort of "sleeve" for the bolt to go through so it doesn't back out as everything rotates... I used an aluminium bushing.

as for the XE2 over the XE1 I had three major reasons to upgrade. Auto ISO, exposure simulation in M exposure and WiFi. Two of those are handled with the new firmware updates and the third can be handled with an EyeFi card...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Yes I can't see a reason to upgrade now.

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

I can't seem to get my vello intravelometer to work in the xe1. Anyone else have issue?

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

nevermind, the big shutter release button won't release the shutter. however when set with the timer it will.

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

while searching for a 35mm on amazon... look what i found!

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-XF-10...ref=pd_sim_p_2

[IMG]
    fuji 10-24 by Eric Gove, on Flickr[/IMG]
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

Discovered last night that if Drive mode is in continuous (either hi or lo), Bulb exposures are limited to 30 seconds. I was trying to take some long exposures last night because there were some cool, fast moving clouds, and apparently I had unwittingly put the X-E1 in continuous drive mode. Kept trying to get bulb exposures longer than 30 seconds, to no avail. Finally figured it out once I'd driven home. It's little hiccups like these that take away a bit from the experience of using these cameras. I definitely love them, but they don't have all the refinement just yet.
    Last edited by Markitos; 12-22-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Eric, the lens was officially announced late last week. It's on B&H with preorder links as well.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Starving
    Member#

for you guys looking at the new fuji 10-24, what about adapted lens options? I'm considering getting a tokina 11-16mm + adapter with aperture ring. $380ish for nikon mount lens + $139 metabones passive adapter with built it aperture ring? Will I have any issues manually focusing?

What are some other good nikon mount uwa zooms worth considering, or anything in particular I should stay away from?

i'm looking at tokina 11-16 f2.8, tokina 12-24 f4, tamron 10-24 f3.5-5.6, sigma 10-20

I'm thinking the adapter will give me both the uwa option + a longer macro lens option as well.
    Last edited by matz03; 12-22-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Member#

Being too lazy to read through the entire thread, how loud is the shutter on the XE2? If I keep doing behind the scenes stuff on different projects I will need something that the mics do not pick up.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyT View Post
    Being too lazy to read through the entire thread, how loud is the shutter on the XE2? If I keep doing behind the scenes stuff on different projects I will need something that the mics do not pick up.
    It's not super quiet. If you want quiet, you should look at the x100 from fuji (leaf shutter) or mirror less cameras with electronic shutters--if you haven't read sevenandhappy's thread about using a gx7, you should.

Member#

Ahh, I was thinking the xe1/2 were mirror less electronic shutters. I will read his GX7 review. Thanks, Mark.

Member#

I'm selling my x100 btw

Just saying
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

Is the x100 interchangable lens or fixed lens?

Member#

fixed 23mm (so its 35mm equivalent) but its STUPID quiet
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

hmmmmm...............thinking on it. The shutter is perfect, but the fixed focal length could be an issue.

Member#

Is the x100 interchangable lens or fixed lens?
    Does the X100s still have the issue where the minimum shutter speed changes according to the aperture you're using?

Member#

Ahh, I was thinking the xe1/2 were mirror less electronic shutters. I will read his GX7 review. Thanks, Mark.
    Just checked the Electronic Shutter on the G6 and I love it. Gonna be great for quiet occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by matz03 View Post
    for you guys looking at the new fuji 10-24, what about adapted lens options? I'm considering getting a tokina 11-16mm + adapter with aperture ring. $380ish for nikon mount lens + $139 metabones passive adapter with built it aperture ring? Will I have any issues manually focusing?

What are some other good nikon mount uwa zooms worth considering, or anything in particular I should stay away from?

i'm looking at tokina 11-16 f2.8, tokina 12-24 f4, tamron 10-24 f3.5-5.6, sigma 10-20

I'm thinking the adapter will give me both the uwa option + a longer macro lens option as well.
    I went down the 10-20 road via a nikon to x-mount adapter. They all work but those lenses are quite large when paired with an X-mount body. I just didn't like the experience. Combine that with the fact that the aperture becomes a PITA to adjust (not labeled and can be missing click stops depending on the adapter). The MF bit isn't bad at all though, at least not for me as I MF my landscapes anyway (what I want this lens for). I'll be getting a 10-24mm as soon as my buddy in HK can get me one. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Idjiit View Post
    Does the X100s still have the issue where the minimum shutter speed changes according to the aperture you're using?
    yeah, same BS (although the ND filter sides steps it pretty nicely):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x100s/4
    The lens shutter design also means the fastest shutter speeds are only available at small apertures.
    1/1000th is the fastest shutter at F2, with 1/2000th becoming available from F4 and 1/4000th from F8
    fuji REALLY needs to add an auto-ND mode though, that'd be killer...
    (I also wish the XE2 had an ND and or base 100 ISO and 1/8000th to pair with the 1.4 of the 23 and 35mm)
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

fixed 23mm (so its 35mm equivalent) but its STUPID quiet
    Let me emphasize this. Stupidly quiet. Really quiet.

Member#

I'm really leaning towards getting this. It would be perfect for action shots while the mics are rolling. I should be able to move around enough that the fixed focal length doesn't become an issue. The other problem is this will be a gateway drug to other smaller cameras.

Member#

Keep me updated man, love knowing the x100 is going to a good home.

Eric
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

And not leaving here in six months due to my whoring. It will fill a few needs. I'm more afraid it lead to venturing into small cameras

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum