+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Iceland? Epic Iceland NSOP tour?

yeah, so we're adding the NW/North and that will be the focus. We're going to go down to Vik for a night since it's less than a day from the airport and has some know places the kids will love and a great pool... The question now is do we go:
    beyond vik by 1:40 to get to an awesome hike above a glacier and then a hike down ONTO said glacier?
    another 45 beyond that to get to the glacier lagoon?

if I can find another glacier to go visit I will.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    yeah, so we're adding the NW/North and that will be the focus. We're going to go down to Vik for a night since it's less than a day from the airport and has some know places the kids will love and a great pool... The question now is do we go:
    beyond vik by 1:40 to get to an awesome hike above a glacier and then a hike down ONTO said glacier?
    another 45 beyond that to get to the glacier lagoon?

if I can find another glacier to go visit I will.
    Hey I talked to a few of my friends I made while over there and they said if you didn't want to go out east for the glacier there is one within accessible through the Golden Circle.

Lanjökull Glacier

Check out:

https://intotheglacier.is/
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

^ thanks! Yeah, I've found a few options but I think this is our rough itinerary:
    • Day 1: KEF down to Vik stoping at skogafoss and it's neighbor, Dyrholaey for puffins and then Vik's black sand beach and the pool in Vik
    • Day 2: Vik to Fjaorarglgljufur, Svartifoss and Jokulsarlon, do the glacier hike at skaftafellsjokull/svartifoss, back to either Vik or Seljalandsfoss.
    • Day 3: Vik/Seljalandsfoss back to Bruarfoss
    • Day 4: up to Snaefellsnes/Kirkjufell
    • Day 5: From there back to airport.

Places for days 3~5 are Gjain, Hjalparfoss, Bruarfoss, Oxararfoss, Geysir, Hraunfossar, Glymur, Kirkjufell, Hellnar.

I've got lots of stops in days 3~5 I just can't spell them to list them!!! One goal is to find something fun to hike/climb with the kids each day but then also have the afternoon a bit more "off" spending time in/around "town" and going to a pool with them and doing more cultural things. My kids LOVE hiking and waterfalls etc so they'll enjoy that bit but I don't want it to be the only thing we do. I know we'll need more down time with them so I'm trying to plan accordingly but I also very much want them to see some specific things.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    ^ thanks! Yeah, I've found a few options but I think this is our rough itinerary:
    • Day 1: KEF down to Vik stoping at skogafoss and it's neighbor, Dyrholaey for puffins and then Vik's black sand beach and the pool in Vik
    • Day 2: Vik to Fjaorarglgljufur, Svartifoss and Jokulsarlon, do the glacier hike at skaftafellsjokull/svartifoss, back to either Vik or Seljalandsfoss.
    • Day 3: Vik/Seljalandsfoss back to Bruarfoss
    • Day 4: up to Snaefellsnes/Kirkjufell
    • Day 5: From there back to airport.

Places for days 3~5 are Gjain, Hjalparfoss, Bruarfoss, Oxararfoss, Geysir, Hraunfossar, Glymur, Kirkjufell, Hellnar.

I've got lots of stops in days 3~5 I just can't spell them to list them!!! One goal is to find something fun to hike/climb with the kids each day but then also have the afternoon a bit more "off" spending time in/around "town" and going to a pool with them and doing more cultural things. My kids LOVE hiking and waterfalls etc so they'll enjoy that bit but I don't want it to be the only thing we do. I know we'll need more down time with them so I'm trying to plan accordingly but I also very much want them to see some specific things.
    Add in Black Sands Restaurant if you can. GREAT lunch spot when you come off Black Sands Beach.

Bolded what I'm talking about.

These two trips are a LONG LONG ride, just be prepared for that. I drove from Kirkjufell to Reykjavík and it was very long and I would consider it the most "boring" drive I had while in Iceland. Mind you it was boring relatively speaking of course.
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

I'e done the day 3 drive (longer, went to the airport after) and yeah, after the last falls/foss it was like 2 hours to the airport knowing we were done which SUCKED... So we'll try to fine tune that last day to shorten it as much as possible. Nikki and I did 225~300 miles each day. The longest day in the above itinerary is ~199. So they're shorter but that does NOT include any additional miles for random crap (which our actual numbers do). Still very early in the planning so I can add/subtract a lot. Another thought is do I need to go to braurfoss if we're going to go to Hraunfossar? They're both pretty blue falls. Maybe we could skip bruarfoss this time if we go to Hraunfossar instead (and Hraun has a great pool there and great camping).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum