+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Iceland? Epic Iceland NSOP tour?

yeah, so we're adding the NW/North and that will be the focus. We're going to go down to Vik for a night since it's less than a day from the airport and has some know places the kids will love and a great pool... The question now is do we go:
    beyond vik by 1:40 to get to an awesome hike above a glacier and then a hike down ONTO said glacier?
    another 45 beyond that to get to the glacier lagoon?

if I can find another glacier to go visit I will.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    yeah, so we're adding the NW/North and that will be the focus. We're going to go down to Vik for a night since it's less than a day from the airport and has some know places the kids will love and a great pool... The question now is do we go:
    beyond vik by 1:40 to get to an awesome hike above a glacier and then a hike down ONTO said glacier?
    another 45 beyond that to get to the glacier lagoon?

if I can find another glacier to go visit I will.
    Hey I talked to a few of my friends I made while over there and they said if you didn't want to go out east for the glacier there is one within accessible through the Golden Circle.

Lanjökull Glacier

Check out:

https://intotheglacier.is/
    "You can not achieve the impossible with attempting the absurd!" - unknown
    ericgove.com | Flickr

^ thanks! Yeah, I've found a few options but I think this is our rough itinerary:
    • Day 1: KEF down to Vik stoping at skogafoss and it's neighbor, Dyrholaey for puffins and then Vik's black sand beach and the pool in Vik
    • Day 2: Vik to Fjaorarglgljufur, Svartifoss and Jokulsarlon, do the glacier hike at skaftafellsjokull/svartifoss, back to either Vik or Seljalandsfoss.
    • Day 3: Vik/Seljalandsfoss back to Bruarfoss
    • Day 4: up to Snaefellsnes/Kirkjufell
    • Day 5: From there back to airport.

Places for days 3~5 are Gjain, Hjalparfoss, Bruarfoss, Oxararfoss, Geysir, Hraunfossar, Glymur, Kirkjufell, Hellnar.

I've got lots of stops in days 3~5 I just can't spell them to list them!!! One goal is to find something fun to hike/climb with the kids each day but then also have the afternoon a bit more "off" spending time in/around "town" and going to a pool with them and doing more cultural things. My kids LOVE hiking and waterfalls etc so they'll enjoy that bit but I don't want it to be the only thing we do. I know we'll need more down time with them so I'm trying to plan accordingly but I also very much want them to see some specific things.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Member#

^ thanks! Yeah, I've found a few options but I think this is our rough itinerary:
    • Day 1: KEF down to Vik stoping at skogafoss and it's neighbor, Dyrholaey for puffins and then Vik's black sand beach and the pool in Vik
    • Day 2: Vik to Fjaorarglgljufur, Svartifoss and Jokulsarlon, do the glacier hike at skaftafellsjokull/svartifoss, back to either Vik or Seljalandsfoss.
    • Day 3: Vik/Seljalandsfoss back to Bruarfoss
    • Day 4: up to Snaefellsnes/Kirkjufell
    • Day 5: From there back to airport.

Places for days 3~5 are Gjain, Hjalparfoss, Bruarfoss, Oxararfoss, Geysir, Hraunfossar, Glymur, Kirkjufell, Hellnar.

I've got lots of stops in days 3~5 I just can't spell them to list them!!! One goal is to find something fun to hike/climb with the kids each day but then also have the afternoon a bit more "off" spending time in/around "town" and going to a pool with them and doing more cultural things. My kids LOVE hiking and waterfalls etc so they'll enjoy that bit but I don't want it to be the only thing we do. I know we'll need more down time with them so I'm trying to plan accordingly but I also very much want them to see some specific things.
    Add in Black Sands Restaurant if you can. GREAT lunch spot when you come off Black Sands Beach.

Bolded what I'm talking about.

These two trips are a LONG LONG ride, just be prepared for that. I drove from Kirkjufell to Reykjavík and it was very long and I would consider it the most "boring" drive I had while in Iceland. Mind you it was boring relatively speaking of course.
    ericgove.com | Flickr

I'e done the day 3 drive (longer, went to the airport after) and yeah, after the last falls/foss it was like 2 hours to the airport knowing we were done which SUCKED... So we'll try to fine tune that last day to shorten it as much as possible. Nikki and I did 225~300 miles each day. The longest day in the above itinerary is ~199. So they're shorter but that does NOT include any additional miles for random crap (which our actual numbers do). Still very early in the planning so I can add/subtract a lot. Another thought is do I need to go to braurfoss if we're going to go to Hraunfossar? They're both pretty blue falls. Maybe we could skip bruarfoss this time if we go to Hraunfossar instead (and Hraun has a great pool there and great camping).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

So finally decided on the photo gear to take to Iceland:
    1) D800, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and 200-500 (cabin)
    2) Lightweight tripod (check-in)
    3) Lightweight ballhead (check-in)
    4) Lee SW150 filters systems with filters for landscapes/waterfalls - circular polarizer, 6 stop ND, 3 stop ND and 2 grad NDs. (cabin)
    5) Nikon 1.4x TC (cabin)
    6) Battery pack for D800. (cabin)

I think this is the lightest I've ever flown w.r.t. photography gear to a foreign country where I plan to do bird photography. Leaving the Nikon 500 f/4 at home this time around.

I will be carrying all the cabin photography gear in a F-Stop backpack and a Crumpler messenger bag.

When are you flying out Ben? We fly out this Sat!
    The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikond300chica/

Member#

Nice! Enjoy, Su.
    Stupidity angers me.
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.
    NSOP snapshooter

Quote Originally Posted by tbert View Post
    Nice! Enjoy, Su.
    Thanks Tbert!
    The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikond300chica/

Quote Originally Posted by smizar View Post
    I think this is the lightest I've ever flown w.r.t. photography gear to a foreign country where I plan to do bird photography. Leaving the Nikon 500 f/4 at home this time around.
    so, yeah, I'm trying to head that way too. I'm taking my light tripod and head. I'm taking my 10-18, 16-35, 70-300 for sure. 24-70 and or 18-55 might come as well. Then some primes for kids shots? That's the tough one as I want kids shots too. Then the other issue is timelapses and or video as well so the a6300 and a6000 are coming as well FOR SURE, that's where the lens questions come in because I need lenses for everything to work well. The real question is how much video will I shoot and same for time lapses because I have the kids, will I shoot more to document or less because I'm enjoying time with them? But yeah, making choices based on small size/weight primarily.

When are you flying out Ben? We fly out this Sat!
    we fly out 2 weeks after you!

can't wait!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

so, yeah, I'm trying to head that way too. I'm taking my light tripod and head. I'm taking my 10-18, 16-35, 70-300 for sure. 24-70 and or 18-55 might come as well. Then some primes for kids shots? That's the tough one as I want kids shots too. Then the other issue is timelapses and or video as well so the a6300 and a6000 are coming as well FOR SURE, that's where the lens questions come in because I need lenses for everything to work well. The real question is how much video will I shoot and same for time lapses because I have the kids, will I shoot more to document or less because I'm enjoying time with them? But yeah, making choices based on small size/weight primarily.

we fly out 2 weeks after you!

can't wait!
    I hear ya. I am not taking my primes or the Fuji. The Nikon gear should suffice. One of us will carry Sid in his carrier and the other will carry the photo gear. Pete is carrying his video camera (forget which one it is). It's pretty lightweight and he likes to throw together one long video of every trip we take.

Have a great time! My sister has designed a pretty aggressive itinerary and considering we are 6 adults, 1 toddler, a 6 yr old and 2 teenagers - this will be a lot of fun or sheer torture Fingers and toes crossed on this...

good luck!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

so we're back! How'd your trip go Su? We had a blast. Didn't want to come home. The re-did the south coast with the kids then did the Snaefellsnes (SP?) peninsula which was new for all of us. I'd say it was nice to see some new stuff but the south coast is really the best bang for your buck in terms of having new/cool stops around every corner. Even doing it again a year later we felt it was better if you had to choose.

Two regrets for our trip, not doing a horse ride with Bella or a super truck trip with Elias but both are stupidly expensive to we passed on them.
    I also forgot my wide angle phone lens at home so I basically didn't use my phone much for photos.
    I have 2 kids and a wive's phone to sort through photo wise though...
    I shot a ton of video, hopefully I can make an edit worth watching...
    And I left my filters in my shoulder bag (TTP change up) that went in a checked bag, also with my tripod unlocked. I thought for sure they'd be smashed in BOS but they survived!!! Tripod was still there as well!
    we all want a van for here in the US now so that could be rad (or trailer or whatever). I'd be great for the family but could also be rad for NSOP photo outings...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Glad to hear and see you had fun out there man! Did I read somewhere you had a 6 stop ND? Is it by LEE?

Oh and please stop sending me BS e-mails!!! lol...

Had a blast.
    NiSi 6 stop ND panel.
    not sure it's me sending you the email? Actually, I know for a fact I'm not sending them... They're coming from a new email that's cloned to be "me". But it's either one of our FB accounts or one of our emails that's hacked and the hack is using the contacts to do it... You're the only person I know with the issue? Are you getting them from anyone else?
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

so we're back! How'd your trip go Su? We had a blast. Didn't want to come home. The re-did the south coast with the kids then did the Snaefellsnes (SP?) peninsula which was new for all of us. I'd say it was nice to see some new stuff but the south coast is really the best bang for your buck in terms of having new/cool stops around every corner. Even doing it again a year later we felt it was better if you had to choose.

Two regrets for our trip, not doing a horse ride with Bella or a super truck trip with Elias but both are stupidly expensive to we passed on them.
    I also forgot my wide angle phone lens at home so I basically didn't use my phone much for photos.
    I have 2 kids and a wive's phone to sort through photo wise though...
    I shot a ton of video, hopefully I can make an edit worth watching...
    And I left my filters in my shoulder bag (TTP change up) that went in a checked bag, also with my tripod unlocked. I thought for sure they'd be smashed in BOS but they survived!!! Tripod was still there as well!
    we all want a van for here in the US now so that could be rad (or trailer or whatever). I'd be great for the family but could also be rad for NSOP photo outings...
    The trip was wonderful Ben! Iceland is an amazing place! Photographically, it was not super productive for me for mainly because the whole trip was geared towards family who were not interested in a) Waiting around for me to photograph birds b) Hitting the right spots at the right time with good light.

We skipped the Snaefellsnes peninsula as well. I did get to see the Puffins on Cape Ingolfshofdi and that was amazing! Again, the tour was too short to get a ton of shots, but I might have managed a few decent ones

We also did a 4WD bus trip to Landmannalaugar in the Highlands and hiked around there for a few hours. It was breathtaking. I definitely want to go back there and do a backpack and explore the area more.

Not doing a horse ride was one of our biggest regret too!! And I didn't know about the super truck trip. Sid would LOVE that.

My biggest takeaway from the trip - COME BACK WITH FELLOW PHOTOGRAPHERS! I really want to go back for a 3-4 day trip with the main goal being photography.

Member#

So when are we actually going to make this NSOP Iceland trip happen?

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by frigidlight View Post

When some of us are in wheelchairs!

We also did a 4WD bus trip to Landmannalaugar in the Highlands and hiked around there for a few hours. It was breathtaking. I definitely want to go back there and do a backpack and explore the area more.

I didn't know about the super truck trip. Sid would LOVE that.
    glad you had fun. Yeah, I shot a TON less this trip because the wife and kids were along. I didn't even shoot in a few places we'd been before and only reshot quickly at others. I spend some more time at places we hadn't been before but still not as much as I'd like.

you took the bus so the same place as the super truck just with a group basically (from what I've been told). Can you share details on the bus? Link or cost and where it left from?

My biggest takeaway from the trip - COME BACK WITH FELLOW PHOTOGRAPHERS! I really want to go back for a 3-4 day trip with the main goal being photography.
    +1

each time I go I keep saying I want to come back where the van price and fuel are split and I get to flip the schedule and shoot all night. No crowds and better light FTW. And less pee stops god damn it!

also, time of year. I've seen erics shots and his aren't green enough (too early). This time we went too late for good lupines but the puffins were awesome (way more). So I'm thinking either the last week in May or early June. Late May means cheaper flights and camper rental but also way less people (it was only crowded on the golden circle last trip in the first week of June where this trip was MUCH busier everywhere mid July).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

So who is in for late may of 2018? That will be smack dab in the middle of a five state move for me so perfect timing

Member#

Had a blast.
    NiSi 6 stop ND panel.
    not sure it's me sending you the email? Actually, I know for a fact I'm not sending them... They're coming from a new email that's cloned to be "me". But it's either one of our FB accounts or one of our emails that's hacked and the hack is using the contacts to do it... You're the only person I know with the issue? Are you getting them from anyone else?
    No. Not a big deal though. I almost never get them and delete them right away anyway...

But yeah,I love the idea of the 6 stop. I do have a 10 stop, but I feel like I would use a 6 stop more? Looks like a great trip though

you took the bus so the same place as the super truck just with a group basically (from what I've been told). Can you share details on the bus? Link or cost and where it left from?
    For the Landmannalaugar hike we booked tickets via Sterna Travel. it was $$$ but that was our only chance to see/experience something of the Highlands. We went as far as our campervans could safely go and took the bus RT from/to the Leirubakki bus stop. We paid one-way fares of $5708 ISK for adults (16+) , 2400 ISK (10-15). Children below ten ride free
    This time we went too late for good lupines but the puffins were awesome (way more)
    You must have JUST missed the lupines. When we were there every darn nook and cranny of Iceland was replete with lupines. So much so, that they almost lost their charm for me after this trip!
    Last edited by smizar; 07-31-2017 at 10:01 PM.

So who is in for late may of 2018? That will be smack dab in the middle of a five state move for me so perfect timing
    I keep lobbying the wife to let me to an NSOP trip... I'm even trying to go with my Aunt (that could be a tag along NSOP trip) since she pays my airfare to go to telluride each winter (she uses a free ticket she earns) to have us both go to Iceland to photo instead... Eventually I'll get the green light but I can't guarantee when...

Quote Originally Posted by simmda00 View Post
    But yeah,I love the idea of the 6 stop. I do have a 10 stop, but I feel like I would use a 6 stop more?
    yeah, so I have a 10 and last trip I was using 2x 3 stops shoved down (using 3 stop GNDs) or a 3 and my CP and it wasn't enough. I also used the sony app and my 10. Didn't like the sony app and the 10 was too much most of the time. So I bought a 6 for this trip and used it a ton.

For the Landmannalaugar hike we booked tickets via Sterna Travel. it was $$$ but that was our only chance to see/experience something of the Highlands. We went as far as our campervans could safely go and took the bus RT from/to the Leirubakki bus stop. We paid one-way fares of $5708 ISK for adults (16+) , 2400 ISK (10-15). Children below ten ride free You must have JUST missed the lupines. When we were there every darn nook and cranny of Iceland was replete with lupines. So much so, that they almost lost their charm for me after this trip!
    good to know. That's less than I expected, thanks! We saw lupines, they just weren't fully lit like last time, just the top was still blooming. Last time you saw PURPLE fields, this time it was purple and green and a few were full blown in bloom.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

2017 iceland post is up (finally): http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/2017.../iceland-2017/
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

hmm... I should probably write my 2016 trip shouldnt i? LOL
    ericgove.com | Flickr

I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

As much as Peter McKinnon’s blog style bothers me, I want to do this with all of you.
    Last edited by tehshortbus; 11-06-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    ericgove.com | Flickr

Member#

Part 1 written

http://www.ericgove.com/Blog/Wandering-To-Be-Found
    ericgove.com | Flickr

nice! except it's more like part .5.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum