+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nikon D4, it's OFFICIAL!!!!

Default  Nikon D4, it's OFFICIAL!!!!  

I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

Quote Originally Posted by PetaPixel View Post
    A press release about the camera was also leaked onto the web on Wells Fargo’s website. It’s offline now, but here’s a screenshot that we managed to snag.

Member#

One of the war photogs that I stalk on FB just posted this; looks official:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP1x2...&feature=share

Looks sweet
    Flickr -- tumblr
    a couple of black things that make clicky sounds and a few round thingies that can stick to the front of the black thingy.

cold-blooded internet insult machine Markitos's Avatar
    Member#

The illuminated buttons would sure be a handy feature, as would the new AF which can focus in light as low as -2 ev. I think the 1Dx compares well to the D4, but the D4 has some nice details, for sure. Can't wait to see these new bodies in the wild.

Also, interesting that Nikon has gone back to ISO 100 on this one as the base ISO.
    “Sharpness is a Bourgeois concept.” -- Henri Cartier-Bresson

I just came to add that video and mention the lit buttons myself. That's ****ing RAD. Although, I'll say, when I can see the text on the buttons on my cameras, IE I know what does what by looking, that means there's juuuuuuuuust enough light to shoot at ISO 160, f/16 and 30s... IE my base landscape exposure. Before that it's too dark!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

I think the coolest feature is being able to control it wirelessly with your iphone... being able to see the liveview screen on your iphone screen... select the focus point, and record video or take pictures.

... I am going to try and get this camera by the end of 2012..... This camera is absolutely unreal.

They also say it is a full stop better than the d3s, which is insane. Also, the autofocus is able to do so much more. I cant wait to see these things.

Member#

That is pretty sweet. I'm not sure how much for a game changer it will be (if anything i think it may prove how ground breaking the previous family of cameras was (D700/D3 line).

I'm interested in how much control will be availible via the ethernet connection. I've been working on a lil project at work that deals with cell-based wireless ethernet communicators. I thing if you were given full control via ethernet, that could lead to a lot of neat projects.

I'm with the whole button thing. Seems like a great innovation and leaves me wondering why it wasn't done sooner.

I also like the new button layout and am glad to see the integration of the 2nd joystick on the vertical release portion.

New batteries are always a pain and will correspond to lots of whining and bitching, but that is how progress goes. The same goes for the new card format qdx mqd umx or whatever it is called. But like I said, progress is painful.

I don't lust for one, esp at $6k. But I don't get paid for this stuff either. I hope a lot of this stuff comes over to the D800 lineup and I hope, hope, hope that the 36MP version has a brother sporting the 16MP sensor. That will seem more sensible.

Member#

sounds like an awesome cam, not a lot that interests me except the insane resolution. but that would only be if i was cool and shot advertisements and billboards and such.
    i am glad to see that they packed a lot of features that can be very useful to niche pro photogs in, hopefully without getting cumbersome.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbert View Post
    It's not the thrill of the shoot....It's the thrill of the chaise.
    Dan's Flickr

whoa?!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Quote Originally Posted by danm View Post
    sounds like an awesome cam, not a lot that interests me except the insane resolution. but that would only be if i was cool and shot advertisements and billboards and such.
    it's 16mp? IE this and the 1Dx are VERY similar now, same sensor size, similar MP, similar FPS, similar lenses etc etc etc. The interesting thing is this is $6000 -vs- $6800 for the 1Dx. I'm hoping this causes canon to drop the 1Dx prices faster than they originally planned so they're even.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
    it's 16mp? IE this and the 1Dx are VERY similar now, same sensor size, similar MP, similar FPS, similar lenses etc etc etc. The interesting thing is this is $6000 -vs- $6800 for the 1Dx. I'm hoping this causes canon to drop the 1Dx prices faster than they originally planned so they're even.
    oops reading > me. i got it mixed up with rumors of the D800 more caffeine and attention needed next time
    Quote Originally Posted by tbert View Post
    It's not the thrill of the shoot....It's the thrill of the chaise.
    Dan's Flickr

Member#

it's official....i can't afford it!

Member#

I'm betting Canon will... it would be super cool if they actually undercut it... if it was <$6k, I might be able to rationalize one when it gets replaced by the 1Dy!

@ y.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by Dragicon View Post
    I think the coolest feature is being able to control it wirelessly with your iphone... being able to see the liveview screen on your iphone screen... select the focus point, and record video or take pictures.

... I am going to try and get this camera by the end of 2012..... This camera is absolutely unreal.

They also say it is a full stop better than the d3s, which is insane. Also, the autofocus is able to do so much more. I cant wait to see these things.
    whoa?!
    ...yeah.

How much are kidneys going for these days?

Member#

About 3k. You'd beter sell both.

I found my new body.

...Nancy's gonna kill me.

Can I just say that having two memory card slots that aren't the same is one of the dumbest things ever? Especially when one of them is a new standard that appears will only be available from one manufacturer.

One of the things I loved with my D3S was the two CF slots. Just so nice to have a rollover setup. Having to stock two separate types of cards seems like a huge step back.

Not to mention the big reduction in battery life.

That said, I'm sure it will be an incredible camera.

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Can I just say that having two memory card slots that aren't the same is one of the dumbest things ever? Especially when one of them is a new standard that appears will only be available from one manufacturer.

One of the things I loved with my D3S was the two CF slots. Just so nice to have a rollover setup. Having to stock two separate types of cards seems like a huge step back.

Not to mention the big reduction in battery life.

That said, I'm sure it will be an incredible camera.
    Yeah, the whole different media thing is an annoyance on the 1D3 (CF+SD)... I'd much prefer one or the other... that being said, in practice it hasn't been a really big issue for the most part, though juggling both during weddings can be a little tedious.

It's definitely sort of a thing with Nikon and the XQD--seems like a risky move. And if you're going to go, you might as well go all in and just do two XQD slots... I don't see that as being any more alienating than having one of each when the media's not readily available. Sure, if you have one of each more people can use the camera out of the box, but I doubt most people looking at the D4 (pros) are a) impulsive, or b) needing to jump to a new camera right away, seeing as how they have the stellar D3s and D3x to work with right now.

Definitely a head-scratcher. The battery seems like more of a non-issue to me, but time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Markitos View Post
    And if you're going to go, you might as well go all in and just do two XQD slots... I don't see that as being any more alienating than having one of each when the media's not readily available.
    Exactly. I just don't understand them hedging their bets this way. I mean, if you really think there is an advantage to the new system wouldn't you then not want the old card type not to be on there? And if there is no advantage to the new system, well, then why switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Exactly. I just don't understand them hedging their bets this way. I mean, if you really think there is an advantage to the new system wouldn't you then not want the old card type not to be on there? And if there is no advantage to the new system, well, then why switch?
    Can this be a way to slowly transition users from CF to XQD? Rather than to force all users to dump what they have on hand, at least allow them to still use their current CF cards and then by the D5 there will be dual XQD?
    Drew

I'd bet if lexar and or sandisk jumped into the XQD pool they might have gone with duals, but w/o their support I doubt they can really. I agree it's a huge jump to go there, dual CFs would be much nicer, but if XQD does become what they think it could, it'd be nice to have it on this camera now. My thing with a dual slot camera is I don't think I ever really changed the second card except to DL from it as needed? I only used mine as a spare though.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

and I wonder if the battery life number has anything to do with a different/changed standard due to more liveview or video use? It'd be nice to know for sure if it's less, because that's a huge step back if it is. The new number is in the thousands so it's enough for most people obviously, but yeah, a step back is never really good...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

I only had 16gb cards so I did actually run into the second card when I was shooting cars and the like.

I don't necessarily buy the "breaking people in slowly thing" in this product. This is a professional product. The users are going to buy the stuff to make it work. By having two standards you just make them have the expense of new cards but not give them the advantage of only having to carry one type of card. This would be a different thing in a consumer camera.

And, maybe I have missed it, but has anyone read anything that said something about the XQD cards being necessary to do something--high frame rate or something? I mean, if there is no added advantage why change?

Member#

Yeah, that's my point--I don't think pros need to be "eased" into a new format. It might annoy them to have to switch, and it certainly creates friction, but I'd rather just jump all in instead of having 10 different card formats/batteries etc. etc.

And to answer your question, Andy: reportedly, the XQD format has the potential to have much faster speeds than CF or SD... it also doesn't have pins, and bent pens on CF-card equipped cameras are apparently a pretty common repair issue.

no pins and faster as Mark said, but Lexar's 1000x CF card is faster than Sony's current XQD card. The pins thing is true, but when was the last time *knocks on wood* anyone has bent or broken a pin? I'd prefer dual CFs for sure, the cards I have there are certainly fast enough.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I've never had an issue with pins personally, just what I read as one of the "benefits" of the new format.

yeah, exactly. I don't disagree they're bad in theory, but I've had more issues with SD than CF...
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

The XQD format is looking more and more like a non-starter, which makes the D4 look like sort of an oddball. I'm sure this is a bit frustrating for pros and their workflow.

Hello. I just asked the same question I asked at the beginning of the year a few posts above.

So let's just ignore that I said anything, okay?

Nice day outside. Ahem.
    Last edited by Andy; 09-24-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: idiocy.

yeah but petapixel.com has an article on it today andy!
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I posit:

D4s - CF/CF or CF/SD with the D600 sensor.

I love the dual cards in the 5Diii, I won't lie. I thought I'd hate it, but with mRAW and 48gb total in camera, I've yet to switch cards at a wedding with Matt. Yeah yeah, one massive CF card (64gb) does the same thing but I'm too cheap to pay for one!

(Imagine a setup with dual 64s or 128s? )
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

I'm still having to do RAW+JPG on the 600 (HELLO, ADOBE) so I have yet to experience the non-card-changing awesomeness. Two 32GB SD's should last a while, even with RAW.

can you do smaller RAWs? W/o that I couldn't shoot 2 cards (ask Matt, I forgot for our first wedding and blew through all my cards ).
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

can you do smaller RAWs? W/o that I couldn't shoot 2 cards (ask Matt, I forgot for our first wedding and blew through all my cards ).
    On the 600? Yes.

Member#

holy bumpage...i know.

Where does everyone stand on the xqd format now that some time has passed?

fast but expensive.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

Member#

fast but expensive.
    do you feel there is any reason to stay away from Lexar cards or stick with Sony?

lexar was just out of business or sold or something so I'd probably shy away from them at this point? But you might be able to find better deals because of that if you're more worried about price.
    I own this joint!
    gear list.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum