+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 857

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #1

    Default  What Are You Reading  
      
      

    Straying way outside of my interests, I'm reading "One Man Caravan" by Robert Fulton, Jr. Written in 1932, it chronicles his journey around the world on a motorcycle. I'm amazed at how similarly the author and I see the world.

    In the first few chapters he relates how he came to one village where they inquired where he was heading to next. Upon hearing the answer they exclaimed, "No! You can't go there, they're a bunch of murderous thieves, you'll never make it out alive!" Taking no heed to their warnings he arrived at the next village where they inquired where he came from. Upon hearing the answer they exclaimed, "What? They're a bunch of murderous thieves, you're lucky to have made it out alive!"

    People are the same the world over.
    -ted


    • Advertising

      advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.



        
       

  2. #2

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    I don't read books

    except for the ones for my classes but loath every minute
    My name is Justin
    gear list

  3. #3
    *spirit fingers* subimatt's Avatar
    Member#
    70
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ikea, MA

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    I was the same way.. now that im done with school I rarely read...

  4. #4

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    You ever get the feeling that you're surrounded by troglodytes?

    I do.
    -ted

  5. #5

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Last book I read was Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salmon Rushdie. Great book.
    Bailly Photo
    The Better half of BaillyPhoto =)

  6. #6
    diabetic coma in a chocolate shell LucKie355's Avatar
    Member#
    51
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    More flags, More fun!

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Last book I read was "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham. Good read, but I blew through it in about a day and a half. Much shorter than I was expecting.

    I've thought about picking up Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll probably head up to B&N sometime this week to do a little browsing.

    -K
    -Kiera
    I am woman, hear me nag.

  7. #7

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by LucKie355
    I've thought about picking up Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll probably head up to B&N sometime this week to do a little browsing.

    -K
    I like that guy. Might pick up that book next as well.
    -ted

  8. #8
    cold-blooded internet insult machine Markitos's Avatar
    Member#
    74
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by LucKie355
    Last book I read was "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham. Good read, but I blew through it in about a day and a half. Much shorter than I was expecting.

    I've thought about picking up Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll probably head up to B&N sometime this week to do a little browsing.

    -K
    Kitchen Confidential is pretty good--The book about Thomas Keller is really good, too, if you're into foody books. It's called Soul of a Chef, I think.

    M
    “Sharpness is a Bourgeois concept.” -- Henri Cartier-Bresson

  9. #9
    diabetic coma in a chocolate shell LucKie355's Avatar
    Member#
    51
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    More flags, More fun!

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    ^ I'll have to take a look at that one too. I've been in a chef-y mood lately.

    -K
    -Kiera
    I am woman, hear me nag.

  10. #10

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Reading the "What are you reading?" thread. Duh!

  11. #11

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    I have a few books sitting upstairs that I haven't started yet. Sadly enough, I can't remember the titles of any of them, but one of them is by the guy who wrote Cryptonomicon.

    Last books I read were the three Termaire books (for anyone who doesn't know, they're fiction set during the time of the Napoleonic wars. Dragons are real and play a big role in the wars on both sides.)

  12. #12

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by TurbojonLS
    I have a few books sitting upstairs that I haven't started yet. Sadly enough, I can't remember the titles of any of them, but one of them is by the guy who wrote Cryptonomicon.
    Man, I wish that bastard could finish a story! I like him sentence to sentence, but sheeeeet dude, do you need that many pages? Let's wrap it up, I've got things to do.
    Last edited by another; 11-22-2009 at 07:48 PM.

  13. #13

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by anotherD80
    american debt, oil, fincancial speculator autobiography, oil, the US dollar, history of tech innovation, oil ... and currently I'm reading: oil, potential US capital dangers, a book of poetry (it was a gift!). Hmm, looks like I need to get a Harry Potter book or something.
    Wow, pithy stuff. I'm not sure any of that would hold my interest, except maybe the poetry.
    -ted

  14. #14
    Hat Trick
    Member#
    53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Some national park...

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    I just finished "No Shortcuts to the Top" by Ed Viesturs... it was a really interesting book about not only Himalayan mountaineering but how he got to that point and his life in general. Really good read, especially considering my interest in big mountains.

    I need a new book though.

    - Scott

  15. #15
    has a high level of nice dangerwoman's Avatar
    Member#
    100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    02888

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by DotGrl03
    Last book I read was Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salmon Rushdie. Great book.
    wooonderful book.

    im reading What is Art by Tolstoy

  16. #16
    Working nawoj's Avatar
    Member#
    73
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Franklin, NH

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    At work I'm listening to "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince", and at home im reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows".

    it gets confusing sometimes... but I've read them all multiple times.

    when i get done with the audio book, I'm thinking about rereading "The Stand" by Stephen King again. or possibly restart "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King.
    Chuck + Gear List + FlickARRRRRRGH = Profit?
    "He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." ~DNA

  17. #17

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by nawoj
    I'm thinking about rereading "The Stand" by Stephen King again. or possibly restart "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King.
    The Stand was incredible. I think I marathonned it and didn't put it down for 4 days. I want to read The Dark Tower Series. That man is a literary genius.
    -ted

  18. #18

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    321
    Last edited by another; 11-22-2009 at 07:49 PM.

  19. #19

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by tardypizza
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherD80
    american debt, oil, fincancial speculator autobiography, oil, the US dollar, history of tech innovation, oil ... and currently I'm reading: oil, potential US capital dangers, a book of poetry (it was a gift!). Hmm, looks like I need to get a Harry Potter book or something.
    Wow, pithy stuff. I'm not sure any of that would hold my interest, except maybe the poetry.
    Glancing around the room ... I also have a book on environmental statistics, 2 nutrition books, a guitar chord tome, and a Gazetteer for the state of Maine. Living out of a backpack (okay, the back of a Saabaru at the moment) really limits what I can carry ... so I only bring the good stuff.

  20. #20

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by anotherD80
    I've never read any Stephen King, but The Dark Tower stuff has been recommended a million times ... maybe I'll pick it up at an airport someday.
    I haven't read any of his newer stuff (< the last 10 years), but his older stuff is grandiose and amazing. The Stand, It, The Bachman Books, The Talisman, The Dark Half, Carrie, The Body (which the movie Stand By My was based on) are all brilliant.
    -ted

  21. #21
    Hat Trick
    Member#
    53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Some national park...

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Someone recommend me a book along the same lines as Into the Wild, No Shortcuts to the Top, and Into Thin Air.

  22. #22

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    I haven't read any of these, but "Touching the Void", "Not without Peril", and "The Savage Summit" all sound right up your alley.

    http://www.ems.com/catalog/subcatego...34374302875278
    -ted

  23. #23
    Hat Trick
    Member#
    53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Some national park...

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by tardypizza
    I haven't read any of these, but "Touching the Void", "Not without Peril", and "The Savage Summit" all sound right up your alley.

    http://www.ems.com/catalog/subcatego...34374302875278
    Those sound awesome. Thanks, Ted.

  24. #24

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by Stime187
    Those sound awesome. Thanks, Ted.
    Catchy titles are everything, I guess. And don't thank me, thank google. All hail the mighty google!
    -ted

  25. #25

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by anotherD80
    Quote Originally Posted by TurbojonLS
    I have a few books sitting upstairs that I haven't started yet. Sadly enough, I can't remember the titles of any of them, but one of them is by the guy who wrote Cryptonomicon.
    Man, I wish that bastard could finish a story! I like him sentence to sentence, but sheeeeet dude, do you need that many pages? Let's wrap it up, I've got things to do.
    Tell me about it. This one looks like its just a few hundred pages, and its not a series, so hopefully it will be better.

    If you're looking for a good, short(er) Stephen King book, look up either The Bachman Books and/or The Shining. The Bachman Books is a collection of 4 short stories he wrote early in his career, and they touch on some of the odder parts of humanity. There's a story in it about a student who takes a class hostage, and after Columbine many retailers took it off the shelves, so it might be hard to find, but its worth it. The Shining only contains the scariest scene ever written, but the rest of the book is good to.

  26. #26
    Hat Trick
    Member#
    53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Some national park...

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by tardypizza
    Quote Originally Posted by Stime187
    Those sound awesome. Thanks, Ted.
    Catchy titles are everything, I guess. And don't thank me, thank google. All hail the mighty google!
    Oh, I thought you actually read them... (looking back, I didn't the very first part of your post )...

    I'll check 'em out and see what I think.

  27. #27
    the anti-surl thechickencow's Avatar
    Member#
    27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    I've got like 3 books started.

    Into Thin Air about the rugby team that crashes, good, but never finished
    Haunted by Chuck Palaniuk which I probably won't finish. Usually I love his stuff but this one kinda sucks.
    Weather Watchers -- some weather book about the climate that I picked up for a gift but never gave away, its pretty interesting but hard to read in more than small chunks cause its a bit boring.

  28. #28

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    Haunted by Chuck Palaniuk which I probably won't finish. Usually I love his stuff but this one kinda sucks.
    What don't you like about it? I haven't read it, but it looks pretty good.

    My wife has a book club that mainly consists of people she met through The Knot when we were getting married. She was too busy to pick the books to recommend one week, so I picked Invisible Monsters. It was so completely off from what they usually picked, but some of them actually liked it.


  29. #29
    the anti-surl thechickencow's Avatar
    Member#
    27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    I dunno, the story is just not something that I've gotten into. It isn't that I mind the gross **** thats in the book, but I'm like 3/4 of the way through and never finished. Haven't picked it up in months, usually I'd have read it twice or 3 times by now.

    Choke is my favorite Palaniuk book, its ****in awesome.

  30. #30
    has a high level of nice dangerwoman's Avatar
    Member#
    100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    02888

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    I dunno, the story is just not something that I've gotten into. It isn't that I mind the gross **** thats in the book, but I'm like 3/4 of the way through and never finished. Haven't picked it up in months, usually I'd have read it twice or 3 times by now.

    Choke is my favorite Palaniuk book, its ****in awesome.
    choke is the only palaniuk book ive liked, and ive read almost all of them. i loved choked, nothing else has lived up to it.

  31. #31

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    Haunted by Chuck Palaniuk which I probably won't finish. Usually I love his stuff but this one kinda sucks.
    I agree, that one is different. I made it all the way to the end but it didn't have the same lingering effect on me as Choke, Survivor, or Stranger than Fiction.
    -ted

  32. #32
    Hat Trick
    Member#
    53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Some national park...

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow

    Into Thin Air about the rugby team that crashes, good, but never finished
    I take it you're talking about a book besides Krakauer's with the same title?

  33. #33
    the anti-surl thechickencow's Avatar
    Member#
    27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    I think Survivor was my 2nd pick, I did like it too quite a bit.

    As for the "into thin air" question scott, I can't remember, the cover is white and blue and its so far just at the time of the crash where they're figuring out who's initially dead/alive.

  34. #34
    Hat Trick
    Member#
    53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Some national park...

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    I think Survivor was my 2nd pick, I did like it too quite a bit.

    As for the "into thin air" question scott, I can't remember, the cover is white and blue and its so far just at the time of the crash where they're figuring out who's initially dead/alive.
    Yeah, I'm just familiar with the "Into Thin Air" I've read about being about a catastrophe on Everest. Must be the same title for two different books.

  35. #35
    the anti-surl thechickencow's Avatar
    Member#
    27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    It must be, I'd like to read that too actually.

    A book I'd reccomend is "Rock and a Hard Place" by Aaron Ralston if anybody is into mountaineering, climbing, etc or just likes the story. I really dug it although some people I've talked to hated it.

  36. #36
    Hat Trick
    Member#
    53
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Some national park...

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    You should. Its REALLY good, especially if you're into mountaineering/the outdoors. I've actually read three separate accounts of the same event now... VERY interesting.

  37. #37

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    I think Survivor was my 2nd pick, I did like it too quite a bit.
    What did it for me was his descriptions of how they escaped. When the lead characters were at the truckstops and window shopping for rides to the next town, he kept describing the towed motorhomes as the "Pink Princess" or the "Rosy Palisade" in classic real estate lingo (I've obviously forgotten the exact verbiage, but you get my point.) To come up with a whole new vernacular for tramping across the US illegally in towed motorhomes gains my respect. The man is a genius.
    -ted

  38. #38

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by tardypizza
    Quote Originally Posted by nawoj
    I'm thinking about rereading "The Stand" by Stephen King again. or possibly restart "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King.
    The Stand was incredible. I think I marathonned it and didn't put it down for 4 days. I want to read The Dark Tower Series. That man is a literary genius.
    I read the 1300 page version the first time in 2.5 days... during combined force maneuvers in Sardinia, Italy... yeah, there was absolutely nothing else to do. I re-read the complete version a couple of years ago; with the missing bits now in place, it was an even better book. King is one of my favorite authors... here's a recent quote

    "Someone in the Bush family should actually be waterboarded so they could report on it to George. I said, I didn’t think he would do it, but I suggested Jenna be waterboarded and then she could talk about whether or not she thought it was torture."

    http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...687229,00.html
    http://whitehouser.com/news/stephen-...rd-jenna-bush/



    My two other favorite authors are Anne Rice and Eric Van Lustbader.

    Recent reads: 1984 (finally!), Dark Hallows, and The Sirens of Titan (Vonnegut)

    ...currently? All my damned mortgage paperwork

  39. #39

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by mkfotos
    Recent reads: 1984 (finally!), Dark Hallows, and The Sirens of Titan (Vonnegut)

    ...currently? All my damned mortgage paperwork
    I actually have The Sirens of Titan next in line! I've read it before but remember precious little of it. What was the book that featured the chemical that lowered the freezing point of water (I'm so bad with names and titles, Galapagos maybe)? I love Vonnegut. Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast of Champions, the man was an incredible writer.
    -ted

  40. #40
    the anti-surl thechickencow's Avatar
    Member#
    27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by tardypizza
    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    I think Survivor was my 2nd pick, I did like it too quite a bit.
    What did it for me was his descriptions of how they escaped. When the lead characters were at the truckstops and window shopping for rides to the next town, he kept describing the towed motorhomes as the "Pink Princess" or the "Rosy Palisade" in classic real estate lingo (I've obviously forgotten the exact verbiage, but you get my point.) To come up with a whole new vernacular for tramping across the US illegally in towed motorhomes gains my respect. The man is a genius.
    I think I need to re-read this, its been years so I don't really remember it.

  41. #41
    Working nawoj's Avatar
    Member#
    73
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Franklin, NH

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    my absolute favorite Stephen King book [singular book] is "Bag of Bones" if you havent read it, and are a fan of stephen king, your a doing a disservice to yourself.

    another great writer is Bill Bryson read "A walk in the woods" "in a sunburned country" and "a short history of nearly everything" from that man, and i promise you will be entertained.

    and i shall not even start talking about my favorite author of all time, Douglas Adams, hitchiker "trilogy" Dirk Gently books, his non fiction, ALL great.

    just loaded up the ipod with jurrasic park, Dirk Gently Hollistic detective agency, Terry pratchetts "Mort" and "Salem's Lot" by S.K.
    Chuck + Gear List + FlickARRRRRRGH = Profit?
    "He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." ~DNA

  42. #42
    *spirit fingers* subimatt's Avatar
    Member#
    70
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ikea, MA

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Tonight, Im reading threads, I got invited to another wedding photographers forum...

  43. #43

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by nawoj
    my absolute favorite Stephen King book [singular book] is "Bag of Bones" if you havent read it, and are a fan of stephen king, your a doing a disservice to yourself.
    Sounds familiar, I might have read it. What was it about?

    another great writer is Bill Bryson read "A walk in the woods" "in a sunburned country" and "a short history of nearly everything" from that man, and i promise you will be entertained.
    Thanks, I'll check him out.

    and i shall not even start talking about my favorite author of all time, Douglas Adams, hitchiker "trilogy" Dirk Gently books, his non fiction, ALL great.
    Agreed, he's awesome. My favorite line of all time is "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."



    Quote Originally Posted by subimatt
    Tonight, Im reading threads, I got invited to another wedding photographers forum...
    Do tell, which one?
    -ted

  44. #44
    *spirit fingers* subimatt's Avatar
    Member#
    70
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ikea, MA

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    www.weddingfotoforum.com

    I was told all the regular wedding photogs from POTN have gone there now... Worth a shot, I was pretty disappointed with my last potn thread, 450+ views, 2 comments

  45. #45

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by subimatt
    I was pretty disappointed with my last potn thread, 450+ views, 2 comments
    I don't even go there any more now that I have this place.
    -ted

  46. #46
    *spirit fingers* subimatt's Avatar
    Member#
    70
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ikea, MA

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    yea, I seldom do... Ill browse the for sale section which is just about all its good for now.. im tired of the same questions over and over again.

  47. #47

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    i have a really hard time getting into a book. i have always had some kind of electronic entertainment and i think that may have kept me away from books.

    i do really want to read "I am Legend" before i see the movie though.

    the only "book" that i really enjoyed was a collection of Clive Barker plays in hardback form. i think it was the variety and the constant switching back and forth between characters. it helped me imagine it more clearly and was just more entertaining.
    one day, i will be an OG on this forum

    Jeremiah's flickr <---that's me.

  48. #48
    diabetic coma in a chocolate shell LucKie355's Avatar
    Member#
    51
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    More flags, More fun!

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered "Kitchen Confidential". I almost picked up "No Reservations" as well, but it's mostly the same stuff that's on the show which I can watch for free.

    -K
    -Kiera
    I am woman, hear me nag.

  49. #49
    Working nawoj's Avatar
    Member#
    73
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Franklin, NH

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    Quote Originally Posted by tardypizza
    Quote Originally Posted by nawoj
    my absolute favorite Stephen King book [singular book] is "Bag of Bones" if you havent read it, and are a fan of stephen king, your a doing a disservice to yourself.
    Sounds familiar, I might have read it. What was it about?
    its about a writer who's wife dies of a random anurism [sp?] only to find out there are darker, more sinister reasons behind her death. and that its all linked to the summer home they have up in a unincorporated township in maine. [tr90] well, possibly more to do with the town itself than specifically there summer home.

    dont want to ruin it for those who havent read it, because its well worth reading.
    Chuck + Gear List + FlickARRRRRRGH = Profit?
    "He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." ~DNA

  50. #50
    has a high level of nice dangerwoman's Avatar
    Member#
    100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    02888

    Default  Re: What are you reading?        

    i just picked up the gum thief by douglas copeland. ill start it on the train tomorrow.
    will be a super light read compared to tolstoy.

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts