+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: What are you reading?

Reading "The Force" by Don Winslow

And listening to "UNSUB" by Meg Gardiner in the car.

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

So this series:

My wife found out about it as the author has a somewhat humorous bio on the Amazon site. The first book was on sale so she got it and I stole it from her as I was just done with my last book. I've read the five books and one novella in the past couple weeks.

The series is a cop story but maaaaaaaaaagic cops. It isn't quite as dumb as it sounds. There is an old, out of date section of the London police that deals with paranormal things. The prevalence of magic has been dwindling so the department is down to one guy. Then the new guy comes in just as everything is going nuts.

Anyway, the writing is very good. He has interesting things to say, says them in an often humorous way, and paces the story beautifully. The characters are pretty well written and interesting. Each story will have one thing, normally at the end, that will make you scream at the author for how dumb it is. Magic should not be a story crutch but he very often does that. These are quick, easy reads that will mostly entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by smizar View Post
    A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman
    This book has popped up twice in the past couple weeks. Did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    This book has popped up twice in the past couple weeks. Did you like it?
    I read the book out of curiosity too. Ended up liking the book a lot. However, it's not something I would re-read. Great story and a quirky yet masterful storytelling style. The characters are well developed and it has it's moments of brilliance/heart-tugging emotion.

I'll probably read more from the author in the future.

Hope this helped!
    The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikond300chica/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    So this series:

My wife found out about it as the author has a somewhat humorous bio on the Amazon site. The first book was on sale so she got it and I stole it from her as I was just done with my last book. I've read the five books and one novella in the past couple weeks.

The series is a cop story but maaaaaaaaaagic cops. It isn't quite as dumb as it sounds. There is an old, out of date section of the London police that deals with paranormal things. The prevalence of magic has been dwindling so the department is down to one guy. Then the new guy comes in just as everything is going nuts.

Anyway, the writing is very good. He has interesting things to say, says them in an often humorous way, and paces the story beautifully. The characters are pretty well written and interesting. Each story will have one thing, normally at the end, that will make you scream at the author for how dumb it is. Magic should not be a story crutch but he very often does that. These are quick, easy reads that will mostly entertain.
    Sounds really interesting. Will add it to my to-read list!
    The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikond300chica/

Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death, and Jazz Chickens - Eddie Izzard

Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery #1) - Barbara Ross

Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery #2) - Barbara Ross

Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery #3) - Barbara Ross

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum