+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy here from NASIOC, Looking to buy a D40

Default  New guy here from NASIOC, Looking to buy a D40  

I've been lurking for a while trying to decide what camera would be right for me. After fondling them at best buy and doing research I've decided on a D40. Now the only question is where/when to buy it.

I saw the Amazon deal with the 55-200 VR lens, bag, filter, and strap in the deals section. Right now that comes out to about 600 shipped. I don't know if I should go for that and hope that I'll use the 55-200 or if I should just buy the kit for 474 and get another lens later.

Anyone with an opinion on this? I guess I could always ebay the 55-200 if I don't use it. Are these the best prices going right now on the D40?

Dusty

• Advertising

advertising
      newschoolofphotography.com
      has no influence on the ads
      that Google displays.

diabetic coma in a chocolate shell LucKie355's Avatar
    Member#

Welcome to the forum!

Post up your question in the "What to buy" section, it'll probably give you the chance to get a better response.

-K

*ETA* now that I think about it, I will put this over in What to Buy to give you a head start
    -Kiera
    I am woman, hear me nag.

Member#

Welcome! Best places to check online are BH and Adorama. Amazon is good too, but some deals really arnt as good as they seem. If you dont NEED the lens, or dont think youll use it, Dont get it. Start with the kit and see how you like it. Then when you find your niche, use the saved $$ towards a lens you will use.

Welcome to NSOP!
    Bailly Photo
    The Better half of BaillyPhoto =)

Quote Originally Posted by LucKie355 View Post
    *ETA* now that I think about it, I will put this over in What to Buy to give you a head start
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by subimatt View Post
    Welcome! Best places to check online are BH and Adorama. Amazon is good too, but some deals really arnt as good as they seem. If you dont NEED the lens, or dont think youll use it, Dont get it. Start with the kit and see how you like it. Then when you find your niche, use the saved $$ towards a lens you will use.
    Yeah, I've gotten the feeling that it's best to stick to the reputable places such as the ones you listed. I don't think I really NEED that lens but ~$100 for a $200+ lens is a really good deal. I guess it's a really bad deal if you don't use it. Is there anywhere online that gives a synopsis of most popular uses for each lens? (ie. 50mm = photos as they appear through the eye, 18-55mm=halfway macro'ish to ?????) <---those could be, and probably are totally wrong. I'll google the string thing, maybe that'll help.

Quote Originally Posted by DotGrl03 View Post
    Welcome to NSOP!
    Thank You!

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by russd32 View Post
    Thanks!

Yeah, I've gotten the feeling that it's best to stick to the reputable places such as the ones you listed. I don't think I really NEED that lens but ~$100 for a $200+ lens is a really good deal. I guess it's a really bad deal if you don't use it. Is there anywhere online that gives a synopsis of most popular uses for each lens? (ie. 50mm = photos as they appear through the eye, 18-55mm=halfway macro'ish to ?????) <---those could be, and probably are totally wrong. I'll google the string thing, maybe that'll help.

Thank You!

Popular uses shouldnt be a deciding point, because they only one using the camera/ lens is you. You may hate long zooms and prefer UWAs like some members here, I personally am most comfy in the 40-70mm range... It really depends on you. I think the primary focus for now should be learning the camera and basics of photography. As you shoot more youll lean in the direction that suits you best. Sure its cheaper to get the lens now that wait, but you may never use/ need that lens and that $100 you saved, turns into $100s you lost. I dont know much about the Nikon glass as im a Canon user, but entry glass is pretty much the same accross the board.

the 50mm focal range is supposed to be the equivilant to the human viewpoint, However on the D40 you also have a cropped sensor of 1.5x I believe. That means on a 50mm Lens, your seeing 75mm. The focal lengths are based off a standard 35mm sensor/ piece of film. Cropped sensors are not inferior or worse in any way and can be advantageous. Its just something to keep in your mind.

Thanks for the advice Subimatt

Member#

:cough: k100ds :cough:

maybe i missed it but what made you decide on the 55-200mm as a opposed to a prime or narrower focal range macro? what type of shooting do you want to do?

oh and here's the best deal online:

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKD40KT2

Quote Originally Posted by b84wm View Post

maybe i missed it but what made you decide on the 55-200mm as a opposed to a prime or narrower focal range macro? what type of shooting do you want to do?

I haven't decided that I need any of the above lenses. I was only considering the 55-200 because I can get it for very little $$ when I buy the d40 kit. I really don't know exactly what I'll be shooting. I'm into cars and outdoor stuff so most likely it'lll be cars, jeeps, stuff in the woods, people, etc..

Member#

well, 18-200mm is a pretty wide range that you'd have covered.

I'm assuming that's a lot? I think I'll stick with the kit lens until I get a half assed idea of what I'm doing.

Wow thats a great price!!

Do you really get all that with it!!

I'd buy the body and a decent used lens
    My name is Justin
    gear list

Member#

I'm assuming that's a lot? I think I'll stick with the kit lens until I get a half assed idea of what I'm doing.
    yeah, the kit lens is fine but passing up the deal i posted might cause some regrets down the road (ie-when you decide you NEED more range)

Quote Originally Posted by emsmap View Post
    Wow thats a great price!!

Do you really get all that with it!!
    yep, it's the best deal on the interwebs right now. i've ordered from those guys too, they're really good.

What all do you get with that deal?

Member#

Quote Originally Posted by emsmap View Post
    What all do you get with that deal?
    Nikon D40 Digital SLR Kit, 18-55 and 55-200mm Lenses, 2 DVDs and Free 1GB Memory Card

OK, this is probably going to sound uber-schizo but I decided to go with a Canon afterall. When I reading up on both of them I was swayed towards the Nikon for a few reasons but after more research none of them seem like a big deal. As for ergonomics, the only thing I liked better on the D40 was the fact that it has a bigger screen than the XT's dual screenage. After more reading and comparing, that didn't seem as much of a factor. Anyway, I've got an XT coming so I hope I like it. I'm sure I will as I've heard nothing but good from both of them.

I got a pretty good deal too, Amazon does the same package deal with the XT as they do the D40. If you buy the kit you get a free UV filter, free neckstrap, and a bag for $6.xx with free shipping. I think it ended up being about $465 for the whole deal. Then I found a place on Amazon that has Sandisk Ultra II 2gb CF cards with bulk packaging for $24 after shipping so I got one of those.

Member#

OK, this is probably going to sound uber-schizo but I decided to go with a Canon afterall. When I reading up on both of them I was swayed towards the Nikon for a few reasons but after more research none of them seem like a big deal. As for ergonomics, the only thing I liked better on the D40 was the fact that it has a bigger screen than the XT's dual screenage. After more reading and comparing, that didn't seem as much of a factor. Anyway, I've got an XT coming so I hope I like it. I'm sure I will as I've heard nothing but good from both of them.

I got a pretty good deal too, Amazon does the same package deal with the XT as they do the D40. If you buy the kit you get a free UV filter, free neckstrap, and a bag for $6.xx with free shipping. I think it ended up being about $465 for the whole deal. Then I found a place on Amazon that has Sandisk Ultra II 2gb CF cards with bulk packaging for $24 after shipping so I got one of those.
    nice dude, doesn't sound like too bad of a deal! you'll love the control of the camera.

<----Why I wants to read ze manual?

Member#

Grats on your purchase! You wont be dissapointed, the XT is a great camera!

Member#

^ they have to be on the same receipt D.

Member#

^ they have to be on the same receipt D.
    huh?

Grats on your purchase! You wont be dissapointed, the XT is a great camera!
    Thanks!

huh?
    Yeah.....que?

Member#

^ he edited his post... he put up a link for the Canon rebates, but it only works if you buy a specific printer with the camera.. Both have to be on the same receipt so it wouldnt help.

Member#

Member#

^ dude, I have no idea what your avatar is!

Member#

^ dude, I have no idea what your avatar is!
    you better be ****ing kidding me.

Member#

is it a little angel person?

it's the tacobell dog
    My name is Justin
    gear list

Member#

i'm going to kill both of you guys.

it's gizmo!

Member#

OMG! I havnt seen that movie in forever!

^ he edited his post... he put up a link for the Canon rebates, but it only works if you buy a specific printer with the camera.. Both have to be on the same receipt so it wouldnt help.
    da ta da ta da ta da ta da ta da ta -------SI!

+ Reply to Thread Go Back to forum