PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Pentax K10D tethered

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

thomps6s
09-24-2008, 12:28 AM
I have been browsing for a while now and finally found someone that got this working and is tethered straight to Lightroom. I plan to try this very soon.

http://www.photographybb.com/photoshop-stuff/tethering-your-dslr-to-adobe-lightroom/

iunno
09-24-2008, 12:36 AM
so many words!

what does it all mean?

Geekybiker
09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Bookmarked to look later.

c00lbeans
09-25-2008, 09:25 AM
lightroom doesnt really tether it just watches a folder. capture one pro and aperture will tether. The Nikon capture software is decent but the canon one is a bit unstable, i dont know about pentax.

astockwell
11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Here is something I learned.

If you download the software from Pentax, and try to install, you may get an error in the installer that tells you to insert the CD-ROM with the program you are trying to install. This perplexed me for a while. I tried multiple times to install without a CD. Then tried copying the install file to a blank CD-ROM to see if it would take that. After that didn't work, I got my original Pentax CD that came with my camera, that contains Pentax photo browser and lab, but not remote assistant, and put it in the CD drive while trying to install remote assistant. That worked. It seemed to want to see the CD that came with your camera. So if you don't have this, you may not be able to install remote assistant.

DP

thomps6s
11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Here is something I learned.

If you download the software from Pentax, and try to install, you may get an error in the installer that tells you to insert the CD-ROM with the program you are trying to install. This perplexed me for a while. I tried multiple times to install without a CD. Then tried copying the install file to a blank CD-ROM to see if it would take that. After that didn't work, I got my original Pentax CD that came with my camera, that contains Pentax photo browser and lab, but not remote assistant, and put it in the CD drive while trying to install remote assistant. That worked. It seemed to want to see the CD that came with your camera. So if you don't have this, you may not be able to install remote assistant.

DP

Thanks for the tip.
Did you get the tethered shooting working?

astockwell
11-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the tip.
Did you get the tethered shooting working?

Yeah, had it working on my last laptop, but due to what I described above, I couldn't get it to install on my new machine, until I figured it out last night. Now waiting for new moon for star trail shooting.

Thanks,

Andy

thomps6s
11-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Why do you need to shoot star trails tethered?

astockwell
11-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Why do you need to shoot star trails tethered?

Easiest way to shoot bulb exp. Let the computer hold the shutter open. Have you tried to hold the shutter open with the Pentax wireless remote F for more than 5 minutes? Man your thumb gets tired. And the button is so small. I need to just make one of those homemade (film case) remotes that were on that website a while back.

-Andy

thomps6s
11-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I own this, one of the best investments I have made to date. Bought a cheap ebay version before and it broke after a few months. Much smaller and more convenient than a laptop in the field.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0508020&cs=04&c=us&l=en&st=snp%20data%20feed&dgc=SS&cid=24326&lid=556773

:wave:

astockwell
11-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I own this, one of the best investments I have made to date. Bought a cheap ebay version before and it broke after a few months. Much smaller and more convenient than a laptop in the field.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0508020&cs=04&c=us&l=en&st=snp%20data%20feed&dgc=SS&cid=24326&lid=556773

:wave:

Can you lock it like an old fashioned shutter release? Or do you have to hold the switch up in bulb exposure. Doing a long shot (upwards or half hour or more), that has to get tiring also. I think I will build the one I linked above, since it has a two way flip switch for bulb exposure. Takes 6 wires and a 3/32 stereo jack, and 3 switches. If it works out I will let you know.

Thanks for the link. I had thought about it, but it looked like you had to hold the switch up. Christ, has the advent of digital photography made the camera companies forget that people still shoot long exposures, (that you could use a lockable shutter release for.) /rant....sorry.

-Andy

thomps6s
11-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Can you lock it like an old fashioned shutter release?

-Andy

Dude, I shoot long exposures all the time. It definitely locks.