PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Challenges.

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

subimatt
12-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Ok, so heres the idea...I know other forums have something similar but often times they arnt done correctly or just fail. I love these when they work. I know and have faith that the people here can make it work, and do it right. Similar to Homework in a way...

The monthly challenges would be possibly a sticky in the homework section or its own thread.

The concept is, Every Month there is a theme, That theme is decided by the winner of the previous Month. Everyone should have an idea for the next theme when they post their image. This way The next month is ready to go.

The idea is that within that Theme of the month, everyone who wants to participate, will go out and shoot a photo that they think/see/feel is their best idea/ interpretation of the theme. The challenge will go on for the entire month giving time for people to think about what/ where/ when they want to shoot. Making it an actual effort.

The Last week of every month, a poll will be created with all the participants and a winner will be voted on by all members. NOTE: This is not to make this into a competition. This is to develop ourselves as photographers and force us to think outside the box and perhaps what we normally shoot. We have a great variety of photographers on here and I think it would be great.

I dont mind running/ managing this as Ben has enough on his plate. My thought is though, If we begin this starting Jan 1, The winning photo of each month will be put into a NSOP Calender available to all members, which will not only give sort of a prize to those who win, but some revenue to cover hosting/ maintenance fees for the site. I feel its a win/win situation for the site and as a group.

I can go into further details if people would like.

Stime187
12-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Sounds awesome.

Anything that gets people out shooting/learning, I'm all for.

- Scott

DotGrl03
12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Solid plan.

My only concern is that if we did one starting in January, to make a calendar we would have to order by November at the latest for sale by December. Sooo... Wo Bu Zhidao.

subimatt
12-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Calenders would be for the following year, I was thinking the first image for Jan 09' would be the NSOP logo. That way Decembers Image would be Jan for the following year. ect. Giving enough time to have A new calender at Xmas for everyone. Just a thought, still a ways off obviously.

Juanita
12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Great idea!!

tardypizza
12-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Brilliant!

subimatt
12-06-2007, 03:03 PM
thanks guys, we shall see what the boss says. :)

jacobsen1
12-06-2007, 04:15 PM
you ain't the boss of m.....

oh wait, what now brown cow?! :lol:

My only concern is keeping this different enough from the HW. But I love the calendar idea. Nikki and I are going to try to put one together for all our family this weekend. So brainstorm up how to make it different from homework, or this can be a bigger theme, and then the homeworks that fall withing that time frame can be geared towards said theme?

Sounds good, lets work the details out.

subimatt
12-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Homework I feel is more specific topics, and since they are weekly not everyone gets to participate and or doesnt put as much time/ thought in it?

Id like the challenges to be topics that are open to interpretation, broad in a sense but a common theme bringing them together. Homework I could see as a sub category that falls within the overall theme for the month For example if the theme is Winter, homework each week could be a different take on winter I.E. Xmas, Snow, Ice, ect... But the challenge would be to take a photo that best describes what you think/feel/see when you think of winter. Only 1 photo per participant is allowed so you will have to sort through your shots and choose the one you feel is best for the theme opposed to posting a few from the same session. The photo has to be taken within the month of the challenge. so it gets people out each month with a generalized theme in mind, it can make for some very interesting takes on photos. The sub categories in Homework could help point people in a more specific direction if they are having trouble. An entry in the challenge could also be used for homework.

I like these since they help myself/ everyone learn to include emotion or purpose to your photos, not always what looks good. You can have a perfectly executed photograph, but if it doesnt speak to the viewer, it may get overlooked. I think this is a great way to help learn that.

jacobsen1
12-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Sounds good. I know homework is "only 1 week" but really it's closer 2 two since we include 2 weekends and skip a week (m-f) between. I also try to pick broad topics when I do it, but I agree with what you're saying. Also the 1 image bit is key, so you really have to work on getting your choices narrowed down.

I agree that we should have it be:
Monthly Challenge (category)
Homeworks within that month (assignments within the category)

that will work well to give people ideas, and make both "programs" work well together.

So I'd say this needs it's own section right, or do you just want to run it within the homework section (and I'll rename it homework/challenges)?

subimatt
12-06-2007, 04:49 PM
sounds good, let me know when we are setup, and ill start writing the rules/ guidelines/ and first thread.

jacobsen1
12-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Well do you want your own section, or just lump it in? :lol:

subimatt
12-06-2007, 05:10 PM
I agree with the Catagory for challenge, then Homework within.

jacobsen1
12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
:snhttp://www.newschoolofphotography.com/forum/Themes/SlickPro_Graphite/images/starmod.gifhttp://www.newschoolofphotography.com/forum/Themes/SlickPro_Graphite/images/starmod.gifhttp://www.newschoolofphotography.com/forum/Themes/SlickPro_Graphite/images/starmod.gifhttp://www.newschoolofphotography.com/forum/Themes/SlickPro_Graphite/images/starmod.gifhttp://www.newschoolofphotography.com/forum/Themes/SlickPro_Graphite/images/starmod.gifze:

subimatt
12-06-2007, 05:20 PM
nice!

tardypizza
12-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Kind of like HW is the practice while Challenge is the test? Do all of your optional HW, then pick your best image and submit it for the Challenge "test". Or just do what I did in highschool and screw the homework and just show up for the test.

Both sections are open to everybody, but those that participate in HW are going to have the edge, because of feedback and critique, going into the challenge.

jacobsen1
12-06-2007, 05:22 PM
great way of wording it Ted.

subimatt
12-06-2007, 05:23 PM
exactly, but unlike HS, no cheat sheets and copying!

tardypizza
12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
exactly, but unlike HS, no cheat sheets and copying!

:sadbanana:

jacobsen1
12-06-2007, 05:33 PM
:lol: