PDA

View Full Version : battery grip love/hate?

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

marcus.raw
08-27-2008, 12:49 AM
so i got the bg-e2n and another battery, no specific reason, just impulse really. i wish to list the good and bad that i found with it that isnt typically mentioned from the research i found. feel free to comment on the concerns i have listed, and some that i havnt, and of course, if you have a better work around to items i have listed, please let me know!

i do shoot a lot of vertical shots but it never really felt uncomfortable to just rotate the camera sideways w/o the grip other than making my subject smile when im in that awkward position, i have access to all the controls, more on that later.

i tried playing with it tonight, it adds considerable size and weight, but i already knew that when looking at it, but i still think its one of those things were you should try in the store or elsewhere, before making the purchase. if its something that is going to be affixed to the camera semi permenantly, it should be felt in person 1st.

shooting with it does feel comfortable for my arm since it doesnt have to rotate in a funky position, but its a bit hard getting use to the fact that the actual grip is fatter, and lacks the ribb that the cameras grip has. i think if it had the ribb for the middle finger i would completely love the feel of it.

i also miss the AF button, and the ability to select af points from the joystick. im not use to flipping the camera with the correct af point selected so is it just a thing to? meaning compose in landscape, preselect an af point, and then flip? i find it faster to flip w/o a grip and have access to all those buttons. i guess i could pick center AF point and then recompose, but sometimes with shallow DoF, that sort of recompose would be hit or miss if you know what i mean.

so for those of you who have grips, do you keep it on 24/7? or do you just shoot with it when you know you will need the extra power/be shooting vertical? i wish the power collumn was collapseable so it wouldnt take so much bag space if i decided not to mount it but carry it around.

ill keep shooting with it and hopefully its one of those things that you grow to love, but imo its no something you can slap on and fall inlove with, unless im just doin it wrong lol

AgentFixer
08-27-2008, 02:00 AM
As a personal preference, I have my Battery Grip on my camera on 24/7. For me, the added weight and size makes the camera feel more comfortable and easier to handle for me. When I have an SLR in my hand without a battery grip, it feels too small for me.

With Pentax, if you back button focus and shoot vertically, you end up trying to position your thumb in a funky position to get to the AF button because the battery grip doesn't have a feature where you can set the AE Lock button to do AF. I've learned to live with it and adjust, although it's irritating that there's no AF button on the grip.

As for storage, my K10D with Battery Grip attached actually fits perfectly into my Lowepro CompuDay Pack. Well, just my 2 cents.

subimatt
08-27-2008, 07:41 AM
I have it on my 40D all the time, Im really used to it by now.I like the balance it adds when using the 70-200 IS or the 580 II.

PhatheadWRX
08-27-2008, 08:20 AM
I've been thinking about getting a battery grip for my XSi. I'd love a more stable platform to shoot vertically, but I think the weight and size kill it for me.

I love my light and tiny XSi. It feels perfect in my hand. Sure its unbalanced with big lenses, but don't you hold the lens anyway (main grip), not really the camera? I went and held a 40D at best buy and couldn't believe how heavy it was.

MK19
08-27-2008, 08:28 AM
There is no battery grip for the D60 :(

chkltcow
08-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I have one for my Digital Rebel that never came off, but I haven't broken down and bought the one for my 40D yet. It's one of those things that's nice to have, but I can live without it.

Pros: Less battery swapping, comfortable vertical shooting with controls at your thumb
Cons: Heavy.... heavy... quite heavy at times... won't fit into a "Holster" style camera bag.

French: If you think the 40D is heavy, go pick up a 1 series camera sometime. I don't care if it's the 1D, 1Ds, 1V, 1N, or the original 1. The 40D is a lightweight in comparison :)

PhatheadWRX
08-27-2008, 09:07 AM
yeah I've handled my cousins 1D mkII N and its a beast. It was before I owned my 450D though.

LucKie355
08-27-2008, 10:05 AM
We've got one on our XTi and we both love it. It's on 24/7.

It's funny, because Luca pointed out an XTi in the store one day (can't remember why) and I didn't even recognize it. I'm so used to seeing our camera look so much bigger that an XTi w/o a grip looked so unfamiliar to me. I can't imagine using it that way again.

-K

iunno
08-27-2008, 10:21 AM
there's no battery grip for the k100d, i wish there was though.

well, there is...but it's some GHETTO chinese made one that looks like ****

Rallyroo
08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I used to have a dSLR where the battery grip was permanent. I hated traveling with it and I actually climbed Mt Shasta (14,179 ft) with it. I told myself that I need to cut back on weight.

I'll stick with the lighter weight options.

marcus.raw
08-27-2008, 05:27 PM
I used to have a dSLR where the battery grip was permanent. I hated traveling with it and I actually climbed Mt Shasta (14,179 ft) with it. I told myself that I need to cut back on weight.

I'll stick with the lighter weight options.
yea i def dont see the advantages with this as a means to have more power efficiently, if more power is what you want, just throw some spares in your bag? the magazine for AA option is nice though, ill give it a full days use this weekend and see if the extra heft/cost merits the comfort advantage of shooting vertical.

jacobsen1
08-27-2008, 05:27 PM
a little history of my cameras:

film rebel: no grip
A2E: gripped
1Nrs: 1 series, built in
10D: gripped
1DmII: 1 series, built in
XTi: no grip
5D: no grip
1D: 1 series, built in
40D: no grip

OK, at first, I loved them. They made cameras easier to hold for my man hands. But I realized I NEVER (or very very rarely) used the second shutter because it was just weird to move my hand (even though not moving it and rotating the camera 90 is very awkward) and because w/o all the controls there, it was a PITA to move back and forth to set things (granted you can adjust AF points w/o the joystick with the buttons they give you). But it's bigger and heavier and more expensive.

For me, with the 5D, when I switched, I didn't order it right away. I realized with the smaller sized body, but still big enough it's comfortable in my hand, I didn't need it to be comfortable. And w/o it it's a smaller package with I LOVE. I have 2 batteries, but I also get to know when the first is dead because I have to swap (instead of all of a sudden having both dead). If I couldn't handle the camera comfortably w/o it, I'd get it, but the 5D and 40D are just big enough that they're super comfy. The other issue is I use RRS L brackets, and I'd need 2 if I were to use the grip sometimes or upgrade now. So at ~$150 each, that double the cost of a grip for me.

Yes, at times I really wish I had the release there so I wouldn't have to have my arm at awkward positions, but for the most part, the smaller, cheaper, lighter option is much better for me.

user errors
08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I rented a gripped 40D and loved the feel of it, not to mention the battery life.

Pakin
08-31-2008, 11:59 PM
It is preference.

For me the 350D was really small in my hands, and after doing a whole day of shooting, it would be quite uncomfortable with my two lower fingers. Adding the grip allowed my entire hand to have a point of contact and evening out the size to shape ratio.

thechickencow
09-01-2008, 01:33 AM
I've never used one and never felt the need to try. I feel OK with the size of the 40d in my hands, its nice, weighted good, and fine. I don't think I see myself carrying more weight regularily.

Those of you mentioning battery life must be really different than me. I used my 40d almost the whole month of August on a single battery - that includes my entire Isle Royale trip, other stuff, and about 400 shots Saturday. I'm still on one block of the battery lit.

marcus.raw
09-01-2008, 01:43 AM
i ended up returning the grip and keeping the spare battery i got. got a sweet B+W slim circular polarizer instead. now im enjoying less weight and i have something that actually helps me take better pictures.

the 40D doesnt need a battery grip imo. jens rebel xs on the other hand, i think it could benefit from a grip, my pinky feels like an orphan on that camera

thechickencow
09-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Yeah, my rebel was smaller but the newer rebels are even smaller so they're more in need from what I have seen.

marcus.raw
09-01-2008, 02:07 AM
oh so they are smaller, i was just thinking that was the transition difference from my camera to hers. that also explains the different battery size to the xti. i didnt like that move too much lol

thechickencow
09-01-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm not 100% sure as I didn't do a side by side, but my rebel (300d) seemed bigger than the xti I used this summer.

user errors
09-01-2008, 06:25 AM
that doesn't make much sense.. doesn't the XTi have a significantly larger screen? Meaning a larger body to accommodate?

PhatheadWRX
09-01-2008, 09:09 AM
The XT did have a status LCD (like on top of XXD) above the rear viewing LCD

Stime187
09-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Hate, to answer your thread title. Not conducive for what I do.

LateApex
09-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm with Scott... I like keeping my body compact. I've thought of getting one for the D300, especially since it adds more FPS(which I doubt I need), and it'd be nice to use AAs, but I just can't justify the cost.

jacobsen1
09-01-2008, 11:03 PM
that doesn't make much sense.. doesn't the XTi have a significantly larger screen? Meaning a larger body to accommodate?

bigger screen, same sized body.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/page4.asp

SlvrScoobie
09-03-2008, 04:36 PM
This space reserved for later comments...
cliff notes for now: I LOVE my grip and there are way around the button issue

Damien
09-07-2008, 02:21 AM
As a personal preference, I have my Battery Grip on my camera on 24/7. For me, the added weight and size makes the camera feel more comfortable and easier to handle for me. When I have an SLR in my hand without a battery grip, it feels too small for me.

Agreed! I keep mine on my XTi 24/7..

-Damien

jblaze5779
09-07-2008, 10:23 AM
At first I didn't like it on my D300 and thought I wasted my money but after awhile it grew on me and now it's on there all the time. It feels weird without it now.

martel
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
I put the grip on my D300 as well. I love it. Leave it on all the time.

smizar
10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Hey all!

I'm looking to buy a MB-D10 grip for my D300. I've heard that the shutter-button is wicked sensitive with the grip. Any experiences?

Also, if you use AA batteries, which batteries/charger combo would you recommend? I also am looking to the batteries to power my SB-600 which uses 4 AA batteries.

Thanks much!

Idjiit
10-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm looking to buy a MB-D10 grip for my D300. I've heard that the shutter-button is wicked sensitive with the grip. Any experiences?

I haven't noticed it being any more sensitive than the D700's shutter release is, but I don't know how it compares to the D300 to begin with. I've been very happy with the shutter release feel on the D700/grip combo.

Also, if you use AA batteries, which batteries/charger combo would you recommend? I also am looking to the batteries to power my SB-600 which uses 4 AA batteries.

I use Sanyo Eneloops exclusively. They have a very low self-discharge rate, so while they have a low mAh, they seem to last longer than other batteries and I've never had the problem of one battery among 4 that have been charged together their whole lives just randomly dying.

Oh, and... hate to rub it in, Canon guys... but the MB-D10 rocks balls over the Canons. Since they don't have the stupid dongle that goes into the body cavity you just leave the battery in, stick another battery in the grip (or not) and go. Because of this the grip is shaped like your hand, and not two batteries turned sideways. And the MB-D10 has its own multi-directional controller so you can adjust AF points, while in portrait orientation. :banana:

jacobsen1
10-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm curious as to their AA/D3/D700 setup, it sounds cool/interesting. The controller only makes sense. But how do you get the other battery (in the normal/body position) out to charge it then? Do you have to remove the whole grip?

But yeah, I love having small bodies w/o grips. The only reason I'd ever buy one at this point is if the camera I had supported the higher FPS trick nikon does. That would be worth it (especially over owned a 1 series sized body), but otherwise I much prefer the more compact size the bodies are w/o them. I'll deal with slightly awkward grip angles in portrait orientation. Besides, I rarely used the second shutter on my 1 series anyway just out of habbit. :lol:

Idjiit
10-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm curious as to their AA/D3/D700 setup, it sounds cool/interesting. The controller only makes sense. But how do you get the other battery (in the normal/body position) out to charge it then? Do you have to remove the whole grip?

Yeah, you'd have to remove the grip. But you can run any combo you want - no battery in the body, AA's in the grip, LN-E43e (small battery) in the grip, EN-EL4a (D3 battery, giving you higher FPS) in the grip, battery in the body and whatever on the outisde, yadda ya. You can even tell the body which battery to use first - so if you're like me and using the D3 battery for events you can have it draw from that battery first, and likely the battery inside the body won't get touched at all. Take the grip off, and you've got a completely fresh battery. I store the body with the grip off, so getting to the battery's not a big deal for me.

jacobsen1
10-02-2008, 06:07 PM
so can it up the FPS on AAs too?

Idjiit
10-02-2008, 07:13 PM
so can it up the FPS on AAs too?

I was originally going to say no, but I went ahead and loaded her up, and... the answer is yes. I didn't realize the AA takes 8 batteries, which brings it up to about 12volts. That's ****ing awesome - definitely save you a bit over popping for the EN-EL4a + charger (like I did, *cough*). The AA setup is a couple ounces heavier, but for the money that's obviously the way to go.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but this is another example of Nikon's holistic look at their cameras. Awesome.

smizar
10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the info! I'm going to pull the trigger soon on the grip. I think as of now, Beach Camera on Amazon has the sweetest deal $226 with free shipping.

jacobsen1
10-02-2008, 08:53 PM
wow, that's rad! I wonder if the voltage will drop over a set number of frames so the rate will drop?

Not to beat a dead horse here, but this is another example of Nikon's holistic look at their cameras. Awesome.

yeah, I agree it's cool they offer the fps boost, my issue with it is the whole needed grip. Even if it is a voltage issue, couldn't they get that voltage out of the stock pack for shorter durations? And is increasing the voltage sorta like overclocking a computer? It's not even the needing to pay for it aspect I don't like, I've just really come to appreciate the smaller form factor.

Idjiit
10-02-2008, 08:59 PM
I think it's just having consistent enough juice to maintain the whole system - the shutter/mirror, the electronics, blah blah blah. I doubt they're somehow scamming consumers with the whole thing.

I think it's a great tradeoff, personally. Would I ideally want 8FPS with no compromises? Sure. But realistically the time where I really need 8FPS, I'd be shooting with a grip anyway. If it is indeed a voltage thing, then I think it makes sense to not screw all previous D100/D200/D300 owners by introducing a completely new battery system.

blcknspo0ln
10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
I have the camera grip on my camera 50% of the time. If I'm backpacking, traveling, walking around with my crumpler msg bag, the grip is OFF for the lightweight versatility. If I'm out shooting something where the weight does not matter, then the grip is on for the extra battery life and portrait shooting.

martel
10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey all!

Thanks much!

It is rather sensitive, but it has a lock ring around it to prevent accidents.

I also use bought sony eneloops and have been very happy with them. Same setup you have.
SB-600, mb-d10 on a d300.

martel
10-07-2008, 03:52 PM
I was originally going to say no, but I went ahead and loaded her up, and... the answer is yes. I didn't realize the AA takes 8 batteries, which brings it up to about 12volts. That's ****ing awesome - definitely save you a bit over popping for the EN-EL4a + charger (like I did, *cough*). The AA setup is a couple ounces heavier, but for the money that's obviously the way to go.

Luckily I looked that up before I bought ;) . Eneloops FTW.

jacobsen1
10-07-2008, 03:59 PM
+1 for eneloops. I have them for my flash and they've been awesome there. Especially because I don't use it all that often, so the shelf life deal is perfect for me.

Idjiit
10-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh, and those seeking Eneloops, beware B&H. They absolutely ass-rape you on them. You can get them for $9.99 for 4 at http://thomasdistributing.com vs. B&H's insane $19.99 for 4. :huh:

jacobsen1
10-07-2008, 08:23 PM
yeah, I think they even beat amazon on all the prices too, but I didn't know about them when I ordered mine. :unamused:

smizar
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Oh, and those seeking Eneloops, beware B&H. They absolutely ass-rape you on them. You can get them for $9.99 for 4 at http://thomasdistributing.com vs. B&H's insane $19.99 for 4. :huh:

Thanks for the info. Will buy the Eneloops from Thomas Distributing.

Idjiit
10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
The bummer about Thomas Distributing is that the shipping kills you. We should do local "group buys" sometime.

jacobsen1
10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
how's their shipping -vs- amazon? Especially considering amazon's prices are close and you can get free shipping if you're a prime member?

SlvrScoobie
10-08-2008, 05:05 PM
HOWEVER, B+H has *AMAZING* prices on SureFire CR2 batteries
Even in Large Volumes (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564261-REG/Surefire_SF38400_BULK_Bulk_Box_of_38_400.html) ;)

Idjiit
10-08-2008, 05:08 PM
how's their shipping -vs- amazon? Especially considering amazon's prices are close and you can get free shipping if you're a prime member?

I wanna say that shipping for 8 Eneloops was like, 7 bucks last time I ordered.

Robert Vassallo
10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm with Scott... I like keeping my body compact. I've thought of getting one for the D300, especially since it adds more FPS(which I doubt I need), and it'd be nice to use AAs, but I just can't justify the cost.

agreed.

Idjiit
10-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Can't blame you D300 guys. The D700 + MB-D10 is a friggin' beast of a camera.

smizar
10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
So, I will be picking up a MB-D10 from a local camera store (Hunt's Photo, Boston) tomorrow! I had to go with a store because I wanted to use a $200 gift card towards the grip since it does not cover the full price and none of the online storefronts let you split the price between 2 CCs :( Anyways YAY!! Can't wait. Heading out to Yosemite on Thursday! 4 Glorious days of photo fun :)

jacobsen1
10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
hunts prices can be pretty good actually. Tax kills it, but the price itself is usually within $5~$10 of B&H.

(hunts also has a store in Providence)

smizar
10-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Actually it was the same price as B&H ($239), but I saw the grip cheaper on BuyDig/Beach Camera and on Amazon, except they can't split payment between 2 CCs. So I'll end up paying $250 for the grip :mad: (including sales tax)

Galleta
10-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I have big hands and I LOVE my battery grip. It is especially nice when you are shooting vertically.

smizar
10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
I think my D300 which used to feel bulky a few months ago, now feels relatively smaller in my hands :) So, the battery grip might give me the extra bulk. Also, it will help balancing the camera with my telephoto lens (BigmOS). I'm off on a 2.5 week trip to Poland, India and Belgium in November and having the freedom to use AAs might prove very useful!

_L_U_C_A_
10-20-2008, 08:55 PM
So, I will be picking up a MB-D10 from a local camera store (Hunt's Photo, Boston) tomorrow! I had to go with a store because I wanted to use a $200 gift card towards the grip since it does not cover the full price and none of the online storefronts let you split the price between 2 CCs :( Anyways YAY!! Can't wait. Heading out to Yosemite on Thursday! 4 Glorious days of photo fun :)

Congrats! :D

smizar
10-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Congrats! :D

Thanks Luca! :) Can't wait!

smizar
10-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Just got back from Hunt's with my MB-D10. My D300 is a beast now :banana:

Can't really concentrate at work now..:lol:

PhatheadWRX
02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Since I shoot in portrait a lot, I'm thinking about the BG-E5 for my XSi. hmmmmmm

jacobsen1
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM
hrm, maybe you should be tucking that end DOWN not up, and tucking your shoulder against your body.... ;)

and yes, if you shoot like that, technically you should have a grip for LANDSCAPE shots. :wave: :lol: but if I were to be shooting the XSi often, I'd "need" one for it.

Angelo
02-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Never saw this thread the first time around, but I'll chime in.

My BG-E2N never leaves my 20D. I guess I have big hands, but it feels more comfortable with it on. I also feel it's a must when handholding the 70-200 f/4L.

I've noticed that I shoot a lot in portrait orientation, so it's handy.

And, by doubling the rebates on the 70-200 and the grip, I ended up getting it for free, plus $40 off the lens.

Sooo, yeah.

-A

jacobsen1
02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
worth posting for all you "need it for portrait" guys:
http://vesnakozelj.com/wp-content/uploads/image/holding_camera_standing_vertical.gif

not saying it always works, but for me at least half my portrait shots are done that way and it's MUCH more stable.

https://knol.google.com/k/vesna-kozelj/how-to-hold-the-camera-with-your-hands/3k0expg5xjecw/2?path_author=vesna-kozelj&path_title=how-to-hold-the-camera-with-your-hands#

subimatt
02-24-2009, 08:15 PM
^ cant do it that way, just way to uncomfortable.

CaityB
02-24-2009, 08:16 PM
^ cant do it that way, just way to uncomfortable.

ditto. idk why. I've tried so many times, it just doesn't work.

Oh well, yay for extra battery life! :D

Angelo
02-24-2009, 08:19 PM
worth posting for all you "need it for portrait" guys:
http://vesnakozelj.com/wp-content/uploads/image/holding_camera_standing_vertical.gif

not saying it always works, but for me at least half my portrait shots are done that way and it's MUCH more stable.

https://knol.google.com/k/vesna-kozelj/how-to-hold-the-camera-with-your-hands/3k0expg5xjecw/2?path_author=vesna-kozelj&path_title=how-to-hold-the-camera-with-your-hands#

It's not a question of stability for me, but rather a question of comfort. Also, I find it much faster to access the QCD/finger wheels with a grip in portrait orientation.

Of course YMMV, and I did just fine without a grip for a long time. Having one now, my camera feels weird and less usable without one.

-A

jacobsen1
02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
yeah, I've just started tucking the elbow under in the last few months honestly... It work a bit more than half the time for me? It's all on the angles though. :)

Stefan
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
I love my MB-D10!!!!!
Extra battery never hurts and portraits are nicer with it.

Redlineracer12
02-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I like the grip on my rebel much more so than on the 40D... I don't use the bg-e2 on the 40D all that often (because it makes it hugeeee), but it's still nice to have once in a while. I don't know if I could handle a 1 series where it's that big all the time :lol:

jacobsen1
02-24-2009, 10:35 PM
a 1 series is actually bigger. :unamused:

Idjiit
02-24-2009, 10:38 PM
a 1 series is actually bigger. :unamused:

Are you sure? I seem to remember the 1D Mark III at least was a smaller combo than the 40D/Grip. I know the D700/grip is definitely bigger than a D3, maybe that's where I'm confused.

Tylersladen
02-24-2009, 11:10 PM
There is no battery grip for the D60 :(

yes there is i found one for my d50 as well

ebay its 50 bills

jacobsen1
02-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Are you sure? I seem to remember the 1D Mark III at least was a smaller combo than the 40D/Grip. I know the D700/grip is definitely bigger than a D3, maybe that's where I'm confused.

well, I'm going by the width of the camera alone... but the 40D is smaller than a 5D which is smaller than a 1 series. Height I'm not positive on but I suppose I'm off to dpreview now to check... :lol:

camera weight dimensions
20D 770g 144x106x72mm
40D 822g 146x108x74mm
5D 895g 152x113x75mm
5Dii 850g 152x114x75mm
1Diii 1335g 156x157x80mm

so the grip needs to be 43mm or less on the 5D, 49mm on the 40D and 51mm on a 20D?

Kilonad
02-25-2009, 01:13 AM
I used to have the grip for my old N90s, and I remembered it being really comfortable and designed to smoothly blend in with the camera. I've been chastising the grip for my D200 as being bulky and uncomfortable (but better than no grip at all). Long story short, I recently saw an N90s with a grip at a used camera shop, and holy balls was my memory off. I remember it as being a far better camera than it actually was, as far as usability was concerned. I have since learned to shut up about my MBD-200.

JERM
02-25-2009, 02:40 PM
As far as the grip, I dunno, I am not much of a grip guy. Then again I have only taken maybe two shots with a gripped body.
I like having the controls handy for vertical shots, and the extra battery capacity has proven quite useful at a couple of events.

jacobsen1
02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
and the extra battery capacity has proven quite useful at a couple of events.

I don't get this... How is a grip with 2 batteries in it giving you "extra battery capacity" -vs- me with one in the camera and another in my pocket? Or do all grip users assume us non grip guys don't have spares?

the ONLY time I see the double battery deal as nice/needed is for super long exposures where it might run out in ONE shot, but otherwise I'll have the weight thanks. :lol:

billd92
02-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't get this... How is a grip with 2 batteries in it giving you "extra battery capacity" -vs- me with one in the camera and another in my pocket? Or do all grip users assume us non grip guys don't have spares? :lol:

:wave: No, I try not to assume anything. :p

I carry spares in addition to the batteries in the grip. ;)

JERM
02-25-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't get this... How is a grip with 2 batteries in it giving you "extra battery capacity" -vs- me with one in the camera and another in my pocket? Or do all grip users assume us non grip guys don't have spares?

It only takes a few seconds to change out the battery, so you're kinda right... but with one battery you'll see the empty or blinky battery symbol in half as much time. If you're like me you'll spend a few seconds between each of the next shots wondering if you can get a couple more, or if you really need to change the battery. With two batteries in the grip, I can shoot all day and not even have to think about it. (Still, I do carry a couple of spares)

billd92
02-25-2009, 04:10 PM
It only takes a few seconds to change out the battery, so you're kinda right... but with one battery you'll see the empty or blinky battery symbol in half as much time. If you're like me you'll spend a few seconds between each of the next shots wondering if you can get a couple more, or if you really need to change the battery. With two batteries in the grip, I can shoot all day and not even have to think about it. (Still, I do carry a couple of spares)

:wave: +1 Yeah, what he said. ;)

jacobsen1
02-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Outside of the 1D, I don't think I've ever killed an entire battery in a day unless it wasn't charged. But yeah, canon's old battery reporting did suck, especially because once it went down that first notch you needed to change it already... I'm so trained for that it's hard on the 5Dii not to charge it when it goes down 1 bar.... :lol:

my point is though, it only extends the battery life w/o stopping to change. Most people list that as a reason to own the grip, but if you own X batteries you still own X with the grip. It just lets you drain 2 at once, nothing more.