PDA

View Full Version : The Tutorial Suggestion Thread!!

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

another
10-10-2007, 10:56 AM
There's one for homework ... how about one for tutorials? Or are my search skills failing?

This might encourage other people to contribute ...

jacobsen1
10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
sure, but let's put it in the right spot...

What do you want to learn today? :)

another
10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
:lol: Actually, I've been trying to make a collage: put 2 photos next to each other in a new pic. I got a shot of a boat and mist that I like but the tide was a bit low so there are some weeds sticking up and they're bugging me. Rather than learn how to use the eraser, I'd thought I'd be all emo-artist and try to make a single image with 2 cutouts from the original, you know, all offset and cheesy :P

jacobsen1
10-10-2007, 11:45 AM
file -> new -> type in new size -> paste in what you want -> paintbucket background color?

another
10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
file -> new -> type in new size -> paste in what you want -> paintbucket background color?

See what I mean, you can't image how clueless some of us are :lol:

file -> new -> type in size, enter -> open img 1 -> select all, copy -> paste on new canvas -> open img 2 -> select all, copy -> paste on new canvas.

And to move the images around you have to select the appropriate layer from the layer menu. Wow, I'm becoming a PS god. ;)

jacobsen1
10-10-2007, 12:06 PM
:lol:

see, shortest tutorial ever....

jacobsen1
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
also, as with homework, tutorials can be written by anyone. If you're interested, post here, PM or email me and I can set you up with an account for the blog and you can write what you want.

another
10-10-2007, 12:17 PM
As a side note, I'd even encourage posting silly crap like my collage request. I realized it wasn't incredibly useful/common and didn't expect anybody to waste a bunch of time writing up a nice tutorial, but I also had no idea it was so easy. I'd done a google search and there are a lot of tutorials that require a ton of steps and just confuse the hell out of anybody. Ben posting a couple commands had me doing it in 30 seconds. That was WAY more useful than an actual tutorial.

So, is there a button in PS that will convert my landscape shots into something like Scott's (Stime187)? ;)

jacobsen1
10-10-2007, 12:19 PM
try lightroom.... :lol:

another
10-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Dodging & Burning? Or "How To Fix My Over-Use of Gradient ND Filters" :)

As mentioned here (3rd photo):

Marc Adamus (http://wildphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1896715#95638663)

(I'm glad you guys mentioned this guy in another thread. His stuff is amazing)

jacobsen1
10-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Well that's not easy... It's a bit skill base because it's mouse strokes and not going too far...
Just use the dodge and burn tools and set their exposure % very low (like ~10% to start) and go from there... Also duplicate the layer before you start so it's very easy to check what you're doing... You shouldn't be able to tell where it's been done if you've done it right. That's something I've always struggled with, but dropping that exposure level down has helped a bunch.

another
10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
So after just clicking around a bit ... the dodge is to lighten and the burn is to darken, right? What's the Range drop-down? I'm not seeing a difference.

jacobsen1
10-10-2007, 04:46 PM
What's the Range drop-down? I'm not seeing a difference.

it's what areas it effects, but PS isn't smart, it just goes by values. I leave it on midtones for the most part.

another
10-31-2007, 07:56 PM
I know the histogram tutorial is on the way ... how about one on metering too? Something non-trivial like a sunset? I know there's a few readings involved and then some math :P

Colorblinded
10-31-2007, 08:33 PM
The histogram is a great way to help you learn actually, I'll see how much of that I get covered in the histogram tutorial. End of the academic quarter is more or less upon us here and I'm finding myself consistently distracted and it may remain that way for the next week or so.

another
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I fail to see how your exams will help me take photos. Are you sure you've got your priorities in order?

:D

Colorblinded
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
I only have one exam and I'm only taking two classes (yay grad school) and yet somehow I'm still busy. It's not as bad as last year at least!

jacobsen1
11-01-2007, 11:34 AM
:D

Don't worry, I can give you a crash course this weekend.

another
11-01-2007, 01:16 PM
I was gonna ask within minutes of meeting you guys :lol:

Colorblinded
11-14-2007, 09:40 AM
My responsibilities for this term are mostly over, so now I can get back to work on the tutorial. I doubt I'll have it done this week but my goal is to be finished by Thanksgiving. It'll give me something to do when I'm visiting my family and have down time.

I already have a handful of sample or illustrative images, I'll probably make some more.

jacobsen1
11-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Nice.

another
11-14-2007, 06:16 PM
cool. i'm in desperate need of schooling.

Stime187
11-15-2007, 12:40 PM
How about a tutorial on using layers in Photoshop?

I have absolutely no idea how to use them, but I know that it would be smarter for my workflow if I incorporated them.

- Scott

Colorblinded
11-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Well when I get done with the histogram tutorial (which I expect to be next week) and have Ben look it over before posting, I'd be willing to work on something like that although I'd like some help. Layers do so much and I only use a small bit of it, having another person collaborate would make it more complete and easier I'd think.

Stime187
11-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Well when I get done with the histogram tutorial (which I expect to be next week) and have Ben look it over before posting, I'd be willing to work on something like that although I'd like some help. Layers do so much and I only use a small bit of it, having another person collaborate would make it more complete and easier I'd think.

Yeah, my basic issue is I just don't understand what they're so good for and what they can actually accomplish/help with.

I do so little post-processing to my shots that it might be irrelevant for me anyways. For some reason I've always (probably incorrectly) associated lots of layers with lots of photoshopping.

- Scott

jacobsen1
11-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Layer masks are what I really like. It lets you boost contrast or saturation in one part. You can also do this with a layer if you want. I use them all the time for minor tweaks, and for comparing and adjustment to the same image w/o the adjustment.

In PS, open an image. Open the layer palette. The image should have one layer called "background". Right click on that and pick "duplicate". Then PS that to what you normally do. Then click the eyeball logo and watch it go between the original and the PPed shot. You'll easily see what you did, but you'll probably also see places where it's not perfect. You can use another layer to get that part perfect, then blend them all together using masks or just deleting parts of the layers you don't like.

tardypizza
11-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Another cool thing you can do with layers is do all your normal adjustments (levels, curves, saturation, etc) without affecting the original image.

Layers/New Adjustment Layer/(lots of choices). Set up an action to open up all your adjustment layers at once, then make your adjustments to each layer. If one adjustment affects another you can go back to that layer and re-adjust, rather than having to go back in your history and redoing everything. To see the effects of any one layer, just click it on and off. It really gives you a lot of control over your processing.

There are countless uses for layers, and it would indeed take a book to describe them all.

jacobsen1
11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Ted, the only issue with that is you have limited adjustments via masks... :(

Colorblinded
11-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Layer adjustments are great, its much easier to try multiple things and switch between them or adjust the intensity of their application.

tardypizza
11-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Ted, the only issue with that is you have limited adjustments via masks... :(

I'm not following you. You want to add a layer mask to an adjustment layer?

jacobsen1
11-15-2007, 03:01 PM
sorry, wrong verbiage...
when you create an adjustment layer there are only a set number of things that are in that list. So you have to make a new layer, do the adjustment, then add the layer mask yourself.

another
11-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Another cool thing you can do with layers is do all your normal adjustments (levels, curves, saturation, etc) without affecting the original image.

... If one adjustment affects another you can go back to that layer and re-adjust, rather than having to go back in your history and redoing everything.

This is why I've started using the adjustment layers. Going back in the history and deleting stuff from 3 edits ago and losing what I'd done after pissed me off enough to look into them.

I haven't practiced the mask stuff yet, but need to cuz my metering skillz suck :lol: bracket FTW!!!

tardypizza
11-15-2007, 03:44 PM
sorry, wrong verbiage...
when you create an adjustment layer there are only a set number of things that are in that list. So you have to make a new layer, do the adjustment, then add the layer mask yourself.

Do you find yourself often needing to use a layer mask after you've done a normal level/curve/saturation adjustment?

Stime187
11-15-2007, 04:01 PM
:lol: This thread just makes it even clearer that we need a tutorial on layers and layer masks, I'm more confused now than I was before after reading this. :P

- Scott

jacobsen1
11-15-2007, 04:05 PM
not usually, no, but sometimes.

Typically everything I do to an image is done to the entire image. Sometimes I'll tweak saturation levels which only effect that color where present, but I still do it globally. Dust spots are the obvious exception.

Shawn M
05-09-2008, 02:21 PM
how about one on RAW, its uses and how to use it.

BlackMarket
07-18-2008, 02:10 AM
I want to learn how to "Write with Light"
(I assume you all know what I mean.)

Markitos
07-18-2008, 02:14 AM
^^

1. Set up camera on tripod in dark room.
2. Set a long exposure (30" is good)
3. Pull out flashlight and write things in front of the camera.
4. Look at results, adjust as needed.

BlackMarket
07-18-2008, 02:34 AM
^^

1. Set up camera on tripod in dark room.
2. Set a long exposure (30" is good)
3. Pull out flashlight and write things in front of the camera.
4. Look at results, adjust as needed.

Correct me if I am wrong but the room would need to be VERY dark so that the ambiant light from the flashlight doest expose you standing behind it.

jacobsen1
07-18-2008, 08:58 AM
well just set the ISO to 100 if it's not pitch black. When I'm shooting around the house at night, ISO800 with f/2.0 or faster is barely enough for a 1/60th exposure, so 30 seconds and a less sensitive ISO will make the room pitch black to the camera. Or at least close enough to get a guess and go from there.

Also, each stop in aperture will half the light in the room (or double it depending on the direction you're going). So if f/8 isn't working, f/11 will have half as much light and f/16 half again. Combine small apertures with low ISOs and 30 second exposures and it'll be black, trust me.

PhatheadWRX
07-18-2008, 09:02 AM
these type of lights work great for writing

http://www.photonlight.com/v/vspfiles/photos/lnk-feat-P2-key-LED-flashlight-1.jpg

BlackMarket
07-18-2008, 04:51 PM
awesome guys...thanks!

user errors
07-18-2008, 05:02 PM
these type of lights work great for writing

http://www.photonlight.com/v/vspfiles/photos/lnk-feat-P2-key-LED-flashlight-1.jpg

Yes they do! They always have different groups handing these out around my campus so I snagged myself some with red and blue lights.

thechickencow
07-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Use fire!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2633257315_2768668823_o.jpg

BlackMarket
07-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes they do! They always have different groups handing these out around my campus so I snagged myself some with red and blue lights.

Time for a 3D light write?

:eek:

user errors
07-18-2008, 07:46 PM
hm.. interesting idea. If I had 3d glasses I'd try it :lol:

BlackMarket
07-18-2008, 08:41 PM
hm.. interesting idea. If I had 3d glasses I'd try it :lol:
I heard about this guy that took 2 Vid-cams mounted them on plexie-glass
pointed them inward so that they were just slightly off from each other then taped in Blue filter and Red filter then basicly used like a photomatix or something and over layed them frame by frame to make his own 3D movies...

chkltcow
08-26-2008, 09:36 AM
dangerwoman's thread in critique, a few in the PP forum, and my own lack of solid understanding of the matter, make me think that one thing that would REALLY be helpful is a tutorial on the color management process. It's one of the hidden voodoo magic pieces that I think a lot of people don't truly comprehend about the entire process (myself included).

Talk about what color spaces are... the differences between sRGB and AdobeRGB... and what they're good for.
Talk about color calibrating monitors, scanners, printers, etc
Talk about ICC profiles for printers and Windows and how they should be used
Basically, go through the step by step process to go from camera to screen to print and keep the colors looking the same to you and (hopefully) everyone else that sees your image along the way.

This could be a tremendously helpful tutorial if someone can spend the time writing it up

tardypizza
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Great idea. I thought I had a clue about it all until I get random pics with mismatched colors for no reason.

ride5000
08-26-2008, 11:26 AM
the problem is someone has to fully understand it before they go around teaching it.

bruce frasier seems to be the man in this arena:

http://www.creativepro.com/articles/author/127446

and this is the bible:
http://www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor/

LucKie355
08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Moved to the offical suggestion thread in the Tutorials section. :)

-K

chkltcow
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
the problem is someone has to fully understand it before they go around teaching it.

So what you're saying is that it really IS black voodoo magic! ;p

http://www.creativepro.com/articles/author/127446

and this is the bible:
http://www.colorremedies.com/realworldcolor/

Thanks for the links

riderofbmx4130
10-14-2008, 07:29 PM
i have some ideas for tutorials, not being a person who uses a lot of PP i'd like to see a tutorial on changing WB on Photoshop cs2 on a raw image, never having done this before :P

i would also like to see one about which version of noise ninja i should get and how to use it, the basics of the program i guess :p

jacobsen1
10-14-2008, 11:14 PM
for NN get the pro version, and if you have PS, get the plugin.
For raws, which version of ACR do you have, and can you do a screen cap of it? It's one of those things you're forced to upgrade if you shoot with newer bodies, so I need to know what buttons you have.

riderofbmx4130
10-14-2008, 11:47 PM
i'll look around for the pro version/ plugin (for free hopefully)
i have ACR version 3.6 although i've never really shot in RAW before. or had the need to until some recent photo's i took in which the WB wouldn't work with the flash in the room. so i'm playing catch up.

should i go shoot a test photo in RAw and then upload it so i can screen shot the buttons?

jacobsen1
10-15-2008, 09:42 AM
just use the "open as" command in PS. Select "Camera Raw" as the file type. That'll pop up the window regardless of the file type.

riderofbmx4130
10-15-2008, 12:47 PM
ACR screan shot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/riderofbmx4130/test-1.jpg

whats the basics?