PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to make this a good picture?

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

layla
08-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok, so messing around with my little P&S, none of the settings were correct when I managed to actually get a shot of lightning. Not an easy thing to do.

My first pics didn't have that crazy line through it, but this series did. Can't seem to figure it out where it is - cleaned the lens and all, but still showing up?

So my requests are to remove the stupid line. I tried messing around with blending brushes and such but can't seem to get it quite right closest to the bolt.

And is it possible to make this into a good shot? I know it's not spectacular, but what would you do and how? Is it even worth messing with? It's my first shot of lightning, so I'd like to do something with it.

So fire away...

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/laylabeach/P1040645.jpg
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2797765867_76e700be56_b.jpg)

jjswee
08-25-2008, 10:03 PM
How does this look?

I haven't done any editing other than removing the line.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9863/layla2ev8.jpg

dr ken
08-25-2008, 10:04 PM
you have a halo over your head.

jacobsen1
08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
jjswee has your hair removed. Looks like you need to clean your sensor, but typically hairs will migrate... Maybe shoot a few random frames (to be deleted later) and see if it goes away?

layla
08-25-2008, 11:11 PM
you have a halo over your head.

Trust me, there ain't no halo over this head! :devil:

jjswee has your hair removed. Looks like you need to clean your sensor, but typically hairs will migrate... Maybe shoot a few random frames (to be deleted later) and see if it goes away?

I was thinking it was a hair, but can't figure out where. How do I clean the sensor on a P&S? I'll see what I can do about that.

And THANK YOU - THANK YOU jjswee!!! :D Now please tell me how you did it. I messed around with it for a while but was able get anything remotely successful.

jjswee
08-25-2008, 11:53 PM
One of my new favorite tools in Photoshop. Healing brush. Its incredibly advanced.

1) Copy the background image.

2) I selected the lightning inside the hair, where it is darker. I used magic wand to select, and went a buncha pixels up and down past the hair. Use a tolerance of around 3-5. Then I copied it to a new layer. I did this because I knew the brush would mess with it.

3) I used the healing brush on the copied layer to remove the hair. Start with a large size brush about the size of the hair. Hold the alt key and select an area past the hair. Now, just paint over the hair. Photoshop will do the rest. Its quite incredible.

4) Since the little bit of lightning is a top layer, it will ignore the effects of the healing brush. The lightning was a little dark so I played with the levels. I burned the ends (in the layer only. This is just a little above and below the hair) so they matched all the way through.

5) Zoom out and check for any little spots you may have missed with the healing brush.

6) Upload to imageshack.

JERM
08-26-2008, 04:25 AM
One of my new favorite tools in Photoshop. Healing brush. Its incredibly advanced.

1) Copy the background image.

2) I selected the lightning inside the hair, where it is darker. I used magic wand to select, and went a buncha pixels up and down past the hair. Use a tolerance of around 3-5. Then I copied it to a new layer. I did this because I knew the brush would mess with it.

3) I used the healing brush on the copied layer to remove the hair. Start with a large size brush about the size of the hair. Hold the alt key and select an area past the hair. Now, just paint over the hair. Photoshop will do the rest. Its quite incredible.

4) Since the little bit of lightning is a top layer, it will ignore the effects of the healing brush. The lightning was a little dark so I played with the levels. I burned the ends (in the layer only. This is just a little above and below the hair) so they matched all the way through.

5) Zoom out and check for any little spots you may have missed with the healing brush.

6) Upload to imageshack.

Then apply a shadow/highlight correction and you're set:

http:///s90223359.onlinehome.us/images/Lightening.jpg

ride5000
08-26-2008, 07:10 AM
well, finish the job and take out the dust spots too.

;)

jjswee
08-26-2008, 08:11 AM
well, finish the job and take out the dust spots too.

;)

I just noticed that this morning as well.

jacobsen1
08-26-2008, 09:19 AM
dust spots and hair on a P&S? That's no fun... How old is this camera (ie how long have you had it)?

How do I clean the sensor on a P&S?

unfortunately you have to send them in to the manufacturer... I know some P&Ss have issues with this, so they have a service to do it, but you do pay for it.

layla
08-26-2008, 03:30 PM
dust spots and hair on a P&S? That's no fun... How old is this camera (ie how long have you had it)?

unfortunately you have to send them in to the manufacturer... I know some P&Ss have issues with this, so they have a service to do it, but you do pay for it.

I've only had the camera about a year, but I will admit, I'm pretty rough on it. It's usually in the bottom of my purse just waiting for photo-ops! I'm a mom, what can I say. I use it for work as well. I have a case for it, but it's bulky and heavy to be carrying aroud in my purse.

really, I'm trying to get fed up enough with only having a P&S, that I'll motivate myself to save up for a big daddy. :$$$: