PDA

View Full Version : What filter(s) to buy?

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

wrxfactor
07-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I shoot a lot of stuff with the sky coming out lighter than it actually is. I was thinking that a circular polarizer filter would be the way to go to improve those shots without the need to do as much work in Photoshop. Can anyone suggest specific brands to go with and how much I should spend?

I will need both a 55mm for my kit lens and a 77mm for the 10-20mm Sigma EX that I'm planning on buying.

PhatheadWRX
07-24-2008, 08:23 AM
A Cir-PL will definately make the blues and greens pop if you use it correctly.

I've never had any issues with Hoya. I'd check Amazon (affiliate) for decent prices.

Markitos
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I shoot a lot of stuff with the sky coming out lighter than it actually is. I was thinking that a circular polarizer filter would be the way to go to improve those shots without the need to do as much work in Photoshop. Can anyone suggest specific brands to go with and how much I should spend?

I will need both a 55mm for my kit lens and a 77mm for the 10-20mm Sigma EX that I'm planning on buying.

I use Hoya HMCs... a 77mm CP is about $75, I think. And you don't need a 55mm and a 77mm... just get the 77mm and a step up ring for your kit lens so that you can use the 77mm on it, too.

thomps6s
07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
I think a Grad ND might be a bit more proper for exposing skies. I Circ Polarizer is a good tool to have as well. I never use it to darken my skies though, only for cutting reflections, glare, etc...

wrxfactor
07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I use Hoya HMCs... a 77mm CP is about $75, I think. And you don't need a 55mm and a 77mm... just get the 77mm and a step up ring for your kit lens so that you can use the 77mm on it, too.

Hoya HMC 77mm CPL came up as $155.95 on Amazon.com, shipping from Adorama. No thanks, I can do without it. I just can't afford that, and looking at all the cheaper ones, including the $65 Tiffen, it looks like you need to spend a good amount of money to get a filter worth keeping and using, as well as one that won't break. Oh well.

BTW, Shawn, I want to darken the skies as well as liven up the greens in the grass and trees. I thought a CPL would be better than a grad ND for that.

Markitos
07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Sorry, I guess it's this one I have: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/22708-REG/Hoya_012142_77mm_Circular_Polarizer_Glass.html

wrxfactor
07-24-2008, 11:54 AM
No problem Mark. The general Hoya filters on Amazon had horrid reviews about breaking and filter rings being awful. This is making me nervous and wanting to buy an expensive filter.

Markitos
07-24-2008, 05:00 PM
:unamused: They are glass filters--if you abuse them, they will break. I have never had an issue.

SlvrScoobie
07-24-2008, 10:27 PM
main problem with Circ polarizers is that its actually 2 sheets(1 polarizer, one 1/4wave retarder) laminated together and either A: glued to glass, or B: sandwiched between 2 glass sheets.
Problems that can arrise are :
Delamination
Wobble
color fringing
and then there is the normal problems like thread tolerances and such.
The better filters will have better materials, sandwiched between 2 good glass windows... ie: a good filter that will last will be expensive. Almost as much work goes into that as a small lens..

thechickencow
07-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Just buy one for like $70 and be happy with it.

wrxfactor
07-25-2008, 09:23 AM

Yeah but people are reporting glass coming apart from the metal ring and threads and such in a matter of days. I don't want to have to tippy-toe around this thing.

Markitos
07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
:unamused: They are glass filters--if you abuse them, they will break. I have never had an issue.

thomps6s
07-25-2008, 09:27 AM
The Hoya HMC are the ones you want to buy if buying HOYA

The green package Hoyas are the junk ones. Purple and Blue package are the good ones.

I use a Hoya HMC Linear polarizer, yes I said Linear, on my Pentax DSLR and it works awesome. Some cameras AF's are thrown off by Linears, but Pentax apparently isn't because it worked great on my *ist DL too.

immigrant
08-03-2008, 02:49 AM
i use a tristar optics UV and CP....haven't had any trouble with it and i've i had it for a couple months.

cost me $35 at ritz camera

user errors
08-03-2008, 03:04 PM
ritz :barfcat:

MK19
08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
I am waiting on my HOYA Circ PL filter to show up :)