PDA

View Full Version : Decent B&W?

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

PhatheadWRX
06-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Lots of B&W recently in sharing/critique lately. I decided to try and convert these two pictures of my friend's dogs.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2055/2542656488_6362f647db_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2171/2542656654_d4c9b75c04_o.jpg

The first puppy is all white, so it was pretty easy. The second is black, brown and white. The three spots over her eyes are brown, her chin is white. I don't know if I captured the difference enough in the conversion.

I didn't mess too much with each of the color adjustments. How do you guys decide how to do your BW conversions?

Colorblinded
06-01-2008, 03:27 PM
They're not bad. Interesting choice of selective color (similar to something I did in the past) but no comment on whether that works or not.

How did you convert these? Did you use the channel mixer? That's how I (and a lot of people here I think) do my B&W conversions. It might let you emphasize the difference between the colors on the dogs better when represented in gray levels.

PhatheadWRX
06-01-2008, 03:32 PM
in CS3: Image, Adjustments, Black and White. It has all the different color channels. Is that what you are referring to?

Colorblinded
06-01-2008, 03:37 PM
If you just to Adjustments -> B&W you have no control over the conversion. That works off a built in conversion that tries to account for how we perceive colors (if you had yellow and red of same density, the yellow looks lighter for example) in terms of lightness so it looks better than a straight desaturation. Channel mixer lets you adjust how much of each color channel is incorporated in to the conversion.

If you look down past Black and White you'll see Channel Mixer as an option. Select it and select monocrome at the bottom of the dialog box. Then you can balance the sliders until you get a look you like.

PhatheadWRX
06-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks!!! I'm glad I posted, because I never would have figured that out unless someone told me.

P.S. I agree with your "title" ;)

thechickencow
06-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeah, definitely use channel mixer, it should help you to get better separation of color on the 2nd dog.

Colorblinded
06-01-2008, 05:28 PM
P.S. I agree with your "title" ;)
Unfortunately, it's a lie. And if you think about it, it's obvious why!

PhatheadWRX
06-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Sure the 1.8 may be more "thrifty" than the 1.4, but I think the 1.4 deserves a names higher than "nifty." Maybe the 1.4 can be the "bomb diggity fifty" :devil:

Not to mention you don't get more nifty than a tiny cheap piece of plastic that has great sharpness all for $90

Colorblinded
06-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah but 1.8 is too slow to be nifty, and it is certainly the thrifty choice. The "bomb diggity fifty" would apply to the 50 1.0 or 1.2 lenses !

PhatheadWRX
06-01-2008, 05:59 PM
If 1.8 is "too slow" I :lol: at your general direction.
Its by far the fastest lens I own ;)

Colorblinded
06-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Well that just can't be helped!

Anyway, have you given the channel mixer a shot? I'd like to see what you come up with.

distorto
06-01-2008, 06:22 PM
If 1.8 is "too slow" I :lol: at your general direction.
Its by far the fastest lens I own ;)

i hope he meant the AF is too slow.

PhatheadWRX
06-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm playing with the mixer, but seem to be getting the same results. Also, my B&W does have sliders for each color...

Colorblinded
06-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I don't recall B&W being like that in past versions of Photoshop (maybe it was, who knows anymore?) but it does look like it probably does more or less the same thing, just with a lot more sliders. The channel mixer just lets you balance channels individually whereas the sliders in B&W seem to let you adjust color ranges (ie yellow which would be certain mixtures of red & green).

i hope he meant the AF is too slow.
Naw, it's slower optically too!