PDA

View Full Version : Tripods

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

slieb
04-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Ok, I have approximately $225 to spend on a tripod. Anyone got suggestioins? I would really like to have a ball head with a quick release plate...and go!

user errors
04-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Ok, I have approximately $225 to spend on a tripod. Anyone got suggestioins? I would really like to have a ball head with a quick release plate...and go!

Bogen Manfrotto 055XPROB with 488RC2 is an awesome combo if you can save up another $50.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/505863-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Stime187
04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Whatever I have...

I'll find that info for you.

Stime187
04-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Manfrotto 3001BPRO Legs w/ 488RC2 Head, I believe it's a bit cheaper than $225. Probably more like 175ish and frankly, it has withstood waist-deep river current and still produced a tack sharp, 8 second exposure.... so yeah, why would you want anything more?

I will only spend more on a tripod someday when I can afford a carbon fiber one or similar.

Geekybiker
04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
I like mine
http://www.newschoolofphotography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4411
it was $150ish. about 4lbs, though you can pick up heavier legs if you want something really stable. Mine is rated at 17lbs.

slieb
04-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys, I'll look at all of those

Markitos
04-15-2008, 04:36 PM
^ Scott I thought you had the 190XB like me?? Oh well, they're really similar. I have that with the 484RC2 ballhead--I need a heftier ballhead, but I like the tripod a lot.

jacobsen1
04-15-2008, 05:07 PM
so yeah, why would you want anything more?

I will only spend more on a tripod someday when I can afford a carbon fiber one or similar.

yep, weight and ease of use dude. I love acra plates. It makes it so much easier to use my tripod. But I lived with a cheap-o bogen for ~10 years almost and it was good enough. But I didn't take it everywhere because I hated the thing... Now I have an uber sexy CG and acra setup that I love using. Yes it cost a fortune, but work bought it for me so yeah... :wave:

slieb
04-15-2008, 05:12 PM
The local Best buy has the 190XB (just looked not buying from them.) It seemed nice and sturdy, I'm leaning towards that at this point. I've used Manfrotto/Bogen tripods at work for years and have never had a problem and I don't have 25k for the laser engraved gitzo. I'm thinking that i will go with the 190XB with the 488RC2. B&H has the kit for $230 with a $25 mfr rebate.

slieb
04-15-2008, 09:27 PM
After a little more research, I've tweaked it a little bit. I'm going with the 190XPROB with the 488RC2 head. I figure there might be some times when a horizontal center post might come in handy. It adds 20 or so bucks to the final cost and I think I can live with that.

thomps6s
04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
After a little more research, I've tweaked it a little bit. I'm going with the 190XPROB with the 488RC2 head. I figure there might be some times when a horizontal center post might come in handy. It adds 20 or so bucks to the final cost and I think I can live with that.

Nice, I have been looking at that tripod as well. The only thing I wish is that it had a 2 piece center column. I like to put my tripod real low sometimes.

slieb
04-15-2008, 10:10 PM
do they make a short center column for it, they did for the 30xx series

thomps6s
04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
do they make a short center column for it, they did for the 30xx series

Good question. They probably do make a stub column. The first tripod I bought, I couldn't buy one, so I used a Sawzall and chopped it off.
It wouldn't be good idea on this one since the center column goes horizontal. A great tool for closeup and macro photography.

slieb
04-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah, since macro is really my main interest, I thought that I should consider it.

Markitos
04-16-2008, 07:19 AM
For the 190XB, you can remove the center column and replace it with a little cap with threads that usually lives on the bottom end of the center column. Then you can put the legs out at a really wide angle and get close to the ground. I have had my tripod nearly at ground level--hard when you don't have an angle viewfinder or live view!!

I don't know about the 190XPROB, but it seems like they would have some provision for that.

thomps6s
04-16-2008, 09:26 AM
For the 190XB, you can remove the center column and replace it with a little cap with threads that usually lives on the bottom end of the center column. Then you can put the legs out at a really wide angle and get close to the ground. I have had my tripod nearly at ground level--hard when you don't have an angle viewfinder or live view!!

I don't know about the 190XPROB, but it seems like they would have some provision for that.

Thanks Mark, I had my eye on the 190xb as well.

I am waiting to see if someone on Craigslist will get back to me today. He is selling a Bogen 3001 and newer pan head for $65. If I get it, the pan will be replaced by my ball head.

slieb
04-16-2008, 01:27 PM
anyone ever use the RC4 plate instead of the RC2? I like the idea of bubble levels right on the head it looks to only cost about $5 more

slieb
04-17-2008, 07:09 AM

I found a review on futurelooks.com (thanks google :)) that shows how to get around it if it doesn't have the cap. Also, it says that you can invert the center post allowing the camera to be placed upside down.

http://www.futurelooks.com/photopost/data//720/medium/manfrotto190xprob-29.jpg