PDA

View Full Version : Starting with some portraits

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

spacknick
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
My friend and I are getting into portrait photography and are off to a decent start. We have most of the right equipment and we're seeing where to improve but the hardest thing we are hitting it posing. Are there any good posing guides out there online or anything? I read a few but they don't have any good examples just guidelines. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Markitos
05-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Don't worry too much about posing? Have people do what they normally do and take pictures? I find posed photos to most often look way too posed and unnatural.

spacknick
05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Alright, I guess I can just tweak their own natural poses to better photograph. I was just concerned when after we reviewed our pictures they all looked the same.

thomps6s
05-15-2012, 01:47 PM
People will be nervous and a little direction could help in some cases.
Like Mark mentioned, posed images can look a bit unnatural.
The key to good portraits IMHO, is to make the subject as comfortable as possible, loosen them up, catch them with a natural expression when they aren't thinking about the camera.

Mrs.COS
05-15-2012, 04:21 PM
People will be nervous and a little direction could help in some cases.
Like Mark mentioned, posed images can look a bit unnatural.
The key to good portraits IMHO, is to make the subject as comfortable as possible, loosen them up, catch them with a natural expression when they aren't thinking about the camera.

This.

I usually work them into the session. Ask them to stand together and just tell te to relax and "I'm just getting my light settings setup" and some times they will make silly faces or relax into talking to each other while I am clicking and "adjusting" away.. Then I start with slow direction from there.. "oh that's nice, turn your chin towards me a little?" and it will flow from there... Get one of the posing apps ( there is a thread) and keep it handy if you feel in a rut

tbert
05-15-2012, 04:24 PM
I find posed photos to most often look way too posed and unnatural.

Circular reference is circular.

:wave:

spacknick
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks, I didn't even think about the whole "adjusting light" thing. I like that a lot because I do think it works. Thanks a lot guys.

FatBear
05-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Learn how to pose and light (usually chin up a bit and a high light position or bounce off ceiling to make one strong shadow) so that overweight people appear to have only one chin. I did this on my first formal portrait shoot, many years ago, and the lady raved about it and recommended me for years afterwards - long after I decided that portraiture wasn't my interest. There are more fat people now than there were in the '80s, so this would seem to be a valuable skill to have.

(BTW, please don't expect PC language from someone named "FatBear". You will only be disappointed.)

Mrs.COS
05-16-2012, 02:53 PM
This has been posted before on here, and i have read it from start to finish...

http://www.lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/LightPoseGuide1.html

spacknick
05-18-2012, 10:42 AM
I saw the lumitouch other post before but not this one. This should help. Thanks again.