PDA

View Full Version : NS0P does twitter!

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

jacobsen1
06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
OK, so I've been adding some twitter integration into the forum lately (in case you haven't noticed). I've also signed NSOP up for it's own twitter account:
http://twitter.com/NS0P
http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/randomcrap/nsoptwitter.jpg

please notice that it's actually NS0P with a zero. The normal spelling with an o is taken so I had to go with the next best thing... Please tweet any posts or articles you'd like, there are now buttons on the top of each article and thread/page (there are also matching FB like buttons). So far I'm "following" some members and industry type accounts on twitter but I'm not sure if I'll keep that up... I also have it setup to pull the RSS feed from the front page news articles. I'm not sure how much more I'll use it beyond that, but it seems like a great way for everyone to share those posts and potentially get NS0P more users/followers.

Let me know what you think about the account/design and anything else. :)

Whitford
06-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Consider yourself followed!

tbert
06-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I am a leader, not a follower! :wave:

Stime187
06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Followed you back.

Stime187
06-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Also, just FYI, in my opinion doing automatic posts to Facebook/twitter is a really detrimental way to use social media if your goal is exposure. Taking the time to spend 2 minutes extra and make individual posts for each pays off.

And, one of your best bets to get RTs/name out there would be to tweet a great photo posted on NSOP like this...

"Title" - New photo by J. Doe on @NS0P: (shortened link here)

jacobsen1
06-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Also, just FYI, in my opinion doing automatic posts to Facebook/twitter is a really detrimental way to use social media if your goal is exposure. Taking the time to spend 2 minutes extra and make individual posts for each pays off.

petapixel would disagree with you.
I agree when it comes to personal posts, but for sharing "news" articles, I'm not so sure...

I would LOVE to know how to make twitter get the RSS feeds and post them like FB does though, and not spam my own wall with 4 at once. :daniel:
when I lessened the # of posts it can grab it just ignores the qty over that limit, then I have to tweet them myself...

Stime187
06-20-2011, 02:11 PM
See my edit.

And, intricacies of HOW you post really matter on Twitter.

Stime187
06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
And, also FYI, how you and petapixel are tweeting is very different. Their posts are made for twitter, yours are not.

Sorry if it appears I'm being short, posting from my phone.

frigidlight
followed and agree with scott on the sharing images thing

jacobsen1
I think what you have in quotes is how it's working now, no?
this is how anything you click the tweet button shows up on twitter:

ScottAStory Scott A Story
Js in Newport newschoolofphotography.com/lightbox-shari… (http://newschoolofphotography.com/lightbox-sharing-critique/31408-js-newport.html) via @NS0P (http://twitter.com/NS0P)

that's a good way to do it, right?
(I really am ****ing clueless with twitter, so I'm looking for all the help I can get)

and yeah, I might consider tweeting my own stuff, at least for a while if you think that'd help? But it will be almost all tweets about our front page articles? I'm also using the tweet button on some cool threads to share as well.

jacobsen1
06-20-2011, 02:19 PM
And, also FYI, how you and petapixel are tweeting is very different. Their posts are made for twitter, yours are not.

actually, they are tweeting the subjects of their blog post only. I was (just changed mine to match) using title AND description. So mine should be neater now, but yeah, I know he's using automatic feeds for both his FB page and his twitter account. I want the same functionality with NSOP's news "stream" basically.

Stime187
06-20-2011, 02:19 PM
That's the right track but wrong execution. Needs to be more succinct, shorter link URL, no "...", etc. Next time I'm on an actual computer I'll give you a rundown.

jacobsen1
06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
followed and agree with scott on the sharing images thing

yeah, but isn't that what it's doing? Or should the link go to the photo not the thread? :confused:

Stime187
06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
He's doing well prepared autofeeds. That's the main point, not necessarily the auto part.

jacobsen1
06-20-2011, 02:23 PM
That's the right track but wrong execution. Needs to be more succinct, shorter link URL, no "...", etc. Next time I'm on an actual computer I'll give you a rundown.

I'm shortening with bit.ly now, what should I use to go shorter?

and checking peta again, he actually adds some things to his before the titles in some posts, so he might actually be doing it manually. But his are title only which mine are now as well, and I'll try to force myself to use better titles going forward (ie short versions of the story).

Stime187
06-20-2011, 02:24 PM
yeah, but isn't that what it's doing? Or should the link go to the photo not the thread? :confused:

To the 1st part in the thread is right. The jumbled long tweet is wrong. It's messy and hard to re-tweet with so many characters taken. Your goal should be 70 characters or so, clean punctuation, etc.

Stime187
06-20-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm shortening with bit.ly now, what should I use to go shorter?

and checking peta again, he actually adds some things to his before the titles in some posts, so he might actually be doing it manually. But his are title only which mine are now as well, and I'll try to force myself to use better titles going forward (ie short versions of the story).

Bit.ly is great. Good improvement. And, yeah, petapixel should be a good guide. But you're not as big so you have to work harder to get a following these days.

jacobsen1
06-20-2011, 02:44 PM
To the 1st part in the thread is right. The jumbled long tweet is wrong. It's messy and hard to re-tweet with so many characters taken. Your goal should be 70 characters or so, clean punctuation, etc.

yeah, I think I see why you're saying that too, it was originally using the full URL but I changed it. But the tweets from NSOP that anyone can make, those seem to be picking up the full URL right now, so I'll try to fix that as well.

you're not as big so you have to work harder to get a following these days.

absolutely, I'm just hoping that I can make NSOP's news page similar, then the fact that we have a full fledged forum as well will add something to the mix getting us more members/traffic. :)

jacobsen1
06-20-2011, 02:48 PM
OK, when you use the button that's in a post/article, here's the deal on shortening:

I want to use my own URL shortener instead of t.co, how do I this?

The Tweet Button will share all URLs sent to it as t.co links that redirect to the URL you provide. On twitter.com the t.co link is then displayed as the URL you provided. In client applications we provide an entities element that tells application developers the information they need to display the t.co link as your URL.

so it's longer than it needs to be, but I don't know that I can shorten it? they're using their own t.co and shortening it so it DOESN'T count towards the total, but they display the full URL on twitter which doesn't look as clean as it could...

Stime187
06-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Quick tip... you might want to stop just RT'ing stuff. It doesn't get your name attached to the tweet so if anyone RTs it down the line, @NS0P isn't on there. Re-Tweet with a comment or do something to the tweet from an organizational standpoint.

jacobsen1
06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Quick tip... you might want to stop just RT'ing stuff. It doesn't get your name attached to the tweet so if anyone RTs it down the line, @NS0P isn't on there. Re-Tweet with a comment or do something to the tweet from an organizational standpoint.

yeah, how do I do that though? Copy and paste their tweet into a new one under my name or some other way? I was wondering that... I read in some photo mag, the "ideal" tweet ratio should be 1/3 original and useful, 1/3 retweets, and 1/3 BS/funny/whatever... Not sure if that fits with a "work"/site account though.

and thanks dude, any and all help I can get is helpful and appreciated.

frigidlight
06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
If you use a client such as Tweetdeck when you retweet something it copies and pastes the original message with the RT tag in front and then you can add, edit, etc what you want before sending the retweet.

jacobsen1
06-23-2011, 03:12 PM
If you use a client such as Tweetdeck when you retweet something it copies and pastes the original message with the RT tag in front and then you can add, edit, etc what you want before sending the retweet.

whoa, nice. What other clients are there, and are any web based? I have tweetdeck on the mac at home, but just DLed it the other night and haven't really played with it yet. I also have it on the iPad, but I'd love something web based for when I'm not at home...

frigidlight
06-23-2011, 03:35 PM
tweetdeck has a chrome plugin/app I think? and a web version in beta now? Seesmic is similiar but I'm also just checking it out. might give it a look.

jacobsen1
06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
nice, thanks. I was playing with tweetdeck on the iphone and it seems pretty powerful.