View Full Version : It is all Scott's Fault

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

thomps6s
02-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I just bought this...
Hoya Multi Coated 9 stop ND filter.

I can't wait to get it. I have some cools stuff in mind for this.

jacobsen1
02-18-2008, 12:51 PM
:lol:

and yeah, I also have a bunch of ideas for one too... Maybe we should get a "forum" copy and mail it around to each other. I just don't know how much I'd use it after I tried the few ideas I have...

Stime187
02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes! You'll love it, Shawn.

I'm super jealous of you getting to use it up there with all the rocks/structure in the water. You'd be hard pressed to find anything like that in NC.

thomps6s
02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Yes! You'll love it, Shawn.

I'm super jealous of you getting to use it up there with all the rocks/structure in the water. You'd be hard pressed to find anything like that in NC.

That is exactly what I have in mind. I doubt anyone has ever seen any daytime shots of the North Shore of Lake Superior that this ND can create.

Stime187
02-18-2008, 12:59 PM
That is exactly what I have in mind. I doubt anyone has ever seen any daytime shots of the North Shore of Lake Superior that this ND can create.

Yeah, I'm excited about seeing what you come up with. It's a fantastic tool.

thechickencow
02-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Sweet Shawn.

I'm thinking I may end up being in Duluth for Easter, you going to be around?

Colorblinded
02-18-2008, 01:38 PM
You just bought the exact filter I have, but go ahead, blame Scott (even though I bought it first :lol: ).

thomps6s
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Sweet Shawn.

I'm thinking I may end up being in Duluth for Easter, you going to be around?

Most Likely. let me know and maybe we can meet up.

thomps6s
02-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I think my Filter will be here today and it looks like I am going to shoot the Ice Caves at the Apostle Islands tomorrow a.m.
http://www.kgcphoto.com/apostle_islands_ice_caves.htm (http://www.kgcphoto.com/apostle_islands_ice_caves.htm)

I am going to want to kayak into these in the summer as well.

thomps6s
02-22-2008, 07:43 PM
It came today. It is black as midnight.
I got a reading of 4 seconds at F/2.8 when pointing it
directly at the light in my bedroom.

SlvrScoobie
02-23-2008, 03:12 PM
any problems metering with it? I would assume you might run into some exposure issues, as the meter is usually only so accurate down to a level, then it starts guessing..

Stime187
02-23-2008, 03:18 PM
any problems metering with it? I would assume you might run into some exposure issues, as the meter is usually only so accurate down to a level, then it starts guessing..

Metering? :lol:

I don't bother with metering when I have 10 (or 12 w/ polarizer) stops to deal with. If the light is consistent, I'll just guess and adjust from there (usually around 70 seconds at f/16 with the 10 only, 280 with 10 + polarizer). If the light is changing, I'll meter without the filter, then literally count the stops with my fingers.

thomps6s
02-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Metering? :lol:

I don't bother with metering when I have 10 (or 12 w/ polarizer) stops to deal with. If the light is consistent, I'll just guess and adjust from there (usually around 70 seconds at f/16 with the 10 only, 280 with 10 + polarizer). If the light is changing, I'll meter without the filter, then literally count the stops with my fingers.

Pretty much what my plan was as well.
Didn't use it today though. Nothing interesting to put it with.

Colorblinded
02-23-2008, 04:15 PM
I haven't metered through mine much but it seems like I can, the camera metered alright with it on. I generally though just adjust in my head from the exposure before I add it.