PDA

View Full Version : Kenko Tubes are what I want right?

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

kornykidd0
11-29-2010, 11:29 PM
So Christmas is on it's way, and it's time to start coming up with things for my gf and family to buy me (I'm selfish...sue me ;)). I love macro photography, and have the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro lens and love using it for bugs and flowers. What I want to be able to do is get those amazing, high detail close-ups of the bugs faces that a GIS of "bug macro" always seems to bring up.

From my brief research it seems a set of tubes will allow this. Am I correct? I haven't seen many shots on here that specify it was taken with a dedicated macro with a tube of some sort...just a 50mm (or any regular old lens) with a 12/24/36mm tube. Is using a tube (single or stacked) with a macro lens somewhat impractical, or is it really the only/best way to get those awesome insect headshots?

a.hoglen
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
It'll get you pretty close.

A lot of those guys also "stack" images.

I'm not sure how the calculations work but I can only put so much extension on my 105mm. It moves the pocal point behind the front element.

kornykidd0
11-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Cool. I've done the stacking thing which is pretty neat. Now by moving the focal point behind the front element, it basically is making the image un-focusable (very bad) then right? Would a teleconverter serve any better?

a.hoglen
11-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Nah just be careful. I think the max I can use on the 105 is 12mm

Warus
11-30-2010, 05:23 AM
This guy is on one of the Aus forums and does amazing work. Have a read through his page

http://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/

jacobsen1
11-30-2010, 10:29 AM
check this out: http://newschoolofphotography.com/lenses/17138-macro-testing-100mm-dedicated-vs-24-105w-tubes.html
tubes with a macro will get you VERY close. :lol: :eek:

kornykidd0
12-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Warus, the opening picture of the link you provided is EXACTLY what I hope to achieve (I'm reading right now so we will see what that actually takes), and Ben I read that earlier, didn't re-search for it so thanks for bringing it to the fore-front. I think tubes should be an adequate addition to my macro lens. These pictures on that site are INCREDIBLE. It's seriously hard to believe how beautiful 'gross' bugs are.