PDA

View Full Version : .:ebay RF shutter release REVIEW:.

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

Sephro
02-07-2008, 11:19 AM
So I bought a cheap RF shutter release on ebay. I was a bit skeptical about it since the seller is in Hong Kong.. But he has a lot of good feedback and for $23.96(price with shipping) I'll take the chance..
I went for the cheaper one because it included the batteries. The 'Gadget Infinity' says it comes with "Testing purpose only" batteries... Since the batteries are several $ each why not just get the cheap one...
here is the ebay link (might go dead after a while)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370014055559

So it took just over 2 weeks to get to me. I had to go into the PO and show an ID to pick it up because of customs requiring a signature..

The PO guy hands me this small white bubble wrap style envelope that's just about the size of a CD and about 2" thick... I can feel two things inside...
Okay... little weary now since it's not even in a box... I open it and the remote and receiver were individually wrapped and taped with bubble wrap...

both have the battery in them already. I push the button on the remote and the light lit up. okay... cool... the receiver however I can not get to turn on..
after a while I realized that it was very tightly wrapped in plastic :lol: so tight that you couldn't even tell at all.

So I connect it to my camera set the codes the same on the remote and receiver and push the button half way on the remote and I hear my camera beep to say it's in focus. Push it all the way down and it takes the picture. I tried it a few times around my office and its working 100%!

Last night at home I put the camera on the tripod and went in the other room. Worked fine! But when I got more than 1 wall between me and the camera it wouldn't work. I'm going to test it outside to see how far it can go. But every time I hit the button it worked!

This is a picture of it. (I didn't take this but it's exactly how it looks)
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1360/nikond70wirelessshutterau9.jpg

The thing has no brand on it anywhere. I looked up online the ones they sell at B&H and it looks like it's the exact same thing. I looked up the manufacture of the one B&H sells for $99 and they have the instructions that shows the batteries it comes with. They are the same brand. I honestly think that this is the exact same one they sell but for less than 1/3 of the price.
The only thing that I can see different is the B&H one has the cord coiled and the connector is at a 90 degree angle...
The little logo-ish thing around the code dims is the exact same on both.
This is the B&H one
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2771/509176oj9.jpg

This is the guy's store that I bought it from.

I will update down the road to see if it's still working in a few months.

jblaze5779
02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
will this work for both canon and nikon?

tardypizza
02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm looking forward to getting mine in the next week or so. I ordered it directly from his store because I despise ebay.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php

And Justin, he sells them with all sorts of connectors so you should be able to find one that suits your needs.

Sephro
02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
will this work for both canon and nikon?

You have to buy the one that is made for your camera...

I'm looking forward to getting mine in the next week or so. I ordered it directly from his store because I despise ebay.

I went through ebay because if it was a scam I would have more protection than if I just bought off the store...

Plus it was cheaper.

Geekybiker
02-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Typical of alot of stuff in china. They run a 3rd shift at the factories of legit gadgets and sell them unbranded alot of the time.

Stime187
02-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I might have to pick one up... thanks for the info.

I've been needing something like this for my adventure self portraits...

jacobsen1
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Yep, I'm also considering one. It won't work for all my ideas (I need a corded one to prevent droppage for some things) but if it works, I think for ~$30 it's awesome.

Sephro
02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Well even the "name brand" ones have no logos on them. Adorama includes a bag with their logo on it... seems to be the only difference...

Sephro
02-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Playing with this a little more I found another nice feature... If I put my camera on 'bulb' and hold the button on the remote after about 2 seconds the light on the remote goes off... but the shutter is still open even after I let go of the remote. It remains open until I push the remote a second time. This was one thing that made me want to get the wired one since you can lock it open for long exposure. I didn't test it too long but since in the menu there is a remote off time setting I'm sure that is about the limit of how long it will stay open..

Might have to try some very long night shots soon :)

jacobsen1
02-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Wow, that's pretty slick....