PDA

View Full Version : TS-E video tutorial:

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

jacobsen1
10-21-2010, 09:55 AM
hope this helps a bit. I realized after I shot the hands on (with just the lens) that I should have had it on the 5D so it made more sense, but I think this still works. At the very end there are silent examples of what the shift and tilt does -vs- normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMnYRQbtSeY

does that help and or make sense to you guys?

I'll also be posting some panos done by panning, shifting and cropping later.

Markitos
10-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Nice jerb! It does help/make sense. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I'd sort of figured out how they work, but seeing it definitely makes it clearer.

jjswee
10-21-2010, 10:51 AM
I think adding it to a camera would be more beneficial. The lens was rotating all sorts of directions in your hands and it got a little confusing.

I am a visual learning guy. I think your best bet would be to take a video of it on a camera, and a video of through the lens. (I think you were saying you are doing this?) The shifting example at the end really brought the pano-shift together for me. I honestly had no clue it would move the picture that much.

thomps6s
10-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Cool, I want one.

jacobsen1
10-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I think adding it to a camera would be more beneficial. The lens was rotating all sorts of directions in your hands and it got a little confusing.

problem is only 1 camera has liveview, so it needs to record the video THROUGH the lens leaving me nothing for the second video... I used my iPhone for one clip, but I couldn't hold it and shoot and talk and move the bits around. If/when I get the 17mm, I'll do something similar again with the lens on the 5D, and have preloaded shots on the 5D to bring up and replay as I move it kinda faking a liveview...

jjswee
10-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Just get a mount for the iphone. It has a serious cam and should be fine.

Or wait for Friday and use my 7D?

jacobsen1
10-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Just get a mount for the iphone. It has a serious cam and should be fine.

Or wait for Friday and use my 7D?

yeah, a mount for the iPhone would work. My only issue with it is the audio.

the other issue is the 24mm had to be returned, so I had to do it in the office on short notice.

jjswee
10-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Ooooo. Go rent a 17TSE from the Canon guys at the expo. Hell, we can do the video there in front of the Canon guys. :lol: I betcha it would make them check out this site and the video.

jacobsen1
10-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Ooooo. Go rent a 17TSE from the Canon guys at the expo. Hell, we can do the video there in front of the Canon guys. :lol: I betcha it would make them check out this site and the video.

I'll have my card, but I don't think they rent on site? But yeah, we could do it with your 7D, and my 7D at the show in the booth if they let us play with one... :lol:

subimatt
10-21-2010, 02:31 PM
my s95 has this feature built in...

:lol:

KC
10-26-2010, 07:24 AM
How about editing the video with a graphic/animation to show how it works?

Also, I would re-edit out the 'frustration' with the rotate.

Ben, If you're looking to make more of these, this is something I can definitely help with (it's what I do... training videos).

Hell, I have a good video camera we can use to shoot it. Or, when I get my new camera, I can use that as the video camera. ;)

The real key to making videos like these is scripting/storyboarding. I understand you like the off the cuff, that's fun. You did a great job with that. Storyboarding will help the flow to the point where you know what's coming next and how the final video will look. Inserting images helps transitions to the next subject, so you don't have to do the whole thing in one take. This is where I'm a viking! :D

--kC

jacobsen1
10-26-2010, 09:36 AM
^ yeah, dude, if you're willing to help I'd love to make these more professional... I cut corners because I know doing it all solo, I'm not going to get it all perfect anyway, and adding all those steps is just more time which I don't have. But if you were helping I'd be all for it. I should have a 17mm TS-E coming in a bit, so when it's here we can redo the whole thing and make it better? I have the 7D and 5D and A2e PLUS your camera and video camera. The only question is if we've got another body that can liveview as that'd be nice to record from another camera?

IE shots of a TS-E working ON a body
video THROUGH a TS-E lens as it moves (tilts and shifts)
video of the body showing the liveview while doing tilts/shifts (similar to the above)
then the shots taken and how they stitch/look -vs- non TS-E versions...

This video just has a lot more things going on -vs- say a bag review. :lol:

jjswee
10-26-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't understand wanting to show the live view. Just a split video of you holding the camera focused on the lens movement, then on the other side of the video being the video in real time through the lens.

jacobsen1
10-26-2010, 10:43 AM
yeah, if you can split, then yes, that works, but if you can't split (iMovie can't w/o steping out, through QT then back in) the video of a TS-E on a liveview body sells it best. :)

KC
10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
You can do it either way, or both. That's the beauty of it. ;)

Yep, I'm fully interested in working with development of a video training series... we'll talk as to not clutter up the thread more.

--KC