PDA

View Full Version : Challenges - Participation incentives

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

LucKie355
08-19-2010, 08:17 AM
So, it's something that's been on my mind for a while now and has been brought up a couple times around the forum as well.

What can we do to get more participation in the Challenges forum?

The forum description states that the year's winning shots will go in the NSOP calendar, but that hasn't happened. Would anyone like to see that?

What else would be a good way to drum up more participation and get more entries & votes?

I'd like to start thinking about implementing something new by the first of the year - yes, still a ways off but gives us plenty of time to brainstorm.

My ears are open!
-K

jacobsen1
08-19-2010, 08:31 AM
:whatever:

LucKie355
08-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Hey thanks for the input Helpy Helperton! :wave:

-K

jacobsen1
08-19-2010, 09:14 AM
this sounds expensive. :$$$:

OK, here's my take on it. Changing the format will help I think. Shorter assignments maybe? Maybe more images required (but if we're not doing it with just one why would we with more)? Give aways seem to work (remember the Nik cinco dey mayo?) but they're hard to get together all the time....

What if we all chipped in $5 as an "entry fee"? Then it'd either be a cash prize, or I could possibly hit up some vendors to get BETTER prizes (ie if we all chipped in $50 total but it ended up as a $100 GC)?

thomps6s
08-19-2010, 09:17 AM
I bet NIK and MPIX would be all over this.

LucKie355
08-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I do think it needs to stay as one image. IMO, the challenge is to submit your best shot - not shots - that fit the theme.

What about prints? 8x10 to the winner or something? I dunno, just throwing another idea on the table.

An entry fee sounds interesting, but how many people are going to want to chip in $ on something that hasn't had much participation in the past?

Hopefully some others will join in and help toss around some ideas too.

-K

jacobsen1
08-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I bet NIK and MPIX would be all over this.

they're not, I've asked. Nik was a one time deal and MPIX likes the SotM.

I do think it needs to stay as one image. IMO, the challenge is to submit your best shot - not shots - that fit the theme.

depends on the subject IMHO, but I agree. Plus it's less of a put off to people if they only need ONE shot.

An entry fee sounds interesting, but how many people are going to want to chip in $ on something that hasn't had much participation in the past?

yeah, but that's why you keep it a very small number. If we had 10 people and it was $5 each, that's $50 you could win. More people, bigger pot, but less chance to win it. But the key is to keep the entry fee small if we were to all agree on it.

The scavenger hunt idea with a fee seems really good. Especially since you could have a few different prizes, one for just getting the most "points" and another for getting the best shots?

thomps6s
08-19-2010, 09:36 AM
they're not, I've asked. Nik was a one time deal and MPIX likes the SotM.

BOO

danm
08-19-2010, 10:12 AM
if you can solve this mystery, then getting higher participation in the sharing and critique forums should be a cinch!

tardypizza
08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I participate in the challenges for the sheer sense of satisfaction, I don't need any incentives

thomps6s
08-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I participate in the challenges for the sheer sense of satisfaction, I don't need any incentives

We aren't talking about Motorcycle racing Ted.

tardypizza
08-19-2010, 12:08 PM
We aren't talking about Motorcycle racing Ted.

oh sorry, forgot what forum I was on

thomps6s
08-19-2010, 12:10 PM
oh sorry, forgot what forum I was on

:lol:

Drew84
08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I always forget to look in the challenge forum, maybe a handy dandy announcement thing?

thomps6s
08-19-2010, 01:25 PM
I always forget to look in the challenge forum, maybe a handy dandy announcement thing?

This is another thing. It is almost hidden from me. I sometimes see when voting is ready when I click on "new Posts", but most of the time never see that section.

jm2e
08-20-2010, 06:04 PM
What can we do to get more participation in the Challenges forum?
1. Make it fun. Maybe I'm off my rocker here, but all the emphasis on entry fees and needing ample time to find, set up, light, shoot, edit the perfect picture and win some goofy prize seems like a real motivation killer to me. Don't you think participation would go up if people just WANTED to take part because it was fun and it motivated them to do something different for a small small small part of the month?

The forum description states that the year's winning shots will go in the NSOP calendar, but that hasn't happened. Would anyone like to see that?
2. Entry fee? Prize? Booo! If people are interested in the challenge, they'll want the callender. If they want the callender, they'll buy one. If more than just a couple of people think they have a snowball's chance of winning, by default more people will be interested in the challenge AND said callender.
3. More entries allowed. It's a contest, like an auction. One-upsmanship is an amazing motivating tool. (I take what I think is a good shot, someone else enters a great shot that I would never have thought of, I suddenly get re-motivated to go out and shoot again because now I'm sure I can do even better, said "other" photog has the same reaction, repeat).

What else would be a good way to drum up more participation and get more entries & votes?
4. Shorter entry period. People seem to think they need a month to get that Ansel Adams shot. What happens is they get a month of ever growing apathy and eventually forget altogether. A short window puts a fire under ones ass.
5. Shorter window to vote. When people see that voting has opened they should be conditioned to ACT NOW. Make it exciting, not something that you get around to after you finish deleting all your penis elongating Spam.
6. Ben, stop thinking in terms of "required". Nobody should be required to enter one, two or three pictures. Wow, that's not very fun! But if people were "allowed" to enter a second or third shot after their first entry, maybe they wouldn't be so shy about throwing in their first entry. Eh? Maybe only one of my three entries gets selected for the voting........ maybe a random third party pics which one it is.......

jm2e
08-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Bump, 'cause you can't build more interest in something if no one is interested in the tread about how to drum up interest in it!

jm2e
08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Bumpity Bumpity Bump. I'd like to see this topic get more attention. If everyone disagrees with me, Wonderful. Just don't keep it to yourself (that's the problem in the first place!)

thechickencow
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I have some ideas, but need to get them together first.

We're discussing things in the mod forum as well that probably can be brought out here.

jacobsen1
08-23-2010, 09:45 AM
:lol:

I'm the one that's more laid back than anyone else. I ALWAYS pick(ed) super vague subjects to make sure people had as many options as possible... As for the timing, yeah, the month thing might not be helping, but the problem is if we lessen that number it means we need MORE challenges? Is that going to help or hurt? Should we go to 2 weeks or 1 week?

Alchemy-Z
08-23-2010, 10:46 AM
What if we set all the challenges up in advance with a reminder thread for that month.

like one sticky thread is 2011 Monthly Challenge List

Jan: Subject Natural Light
Feb: People
Mar: Events
April: Plants
etc...

so right at the start of the year we know what the challenge will be for each month ahead of time. and you can take your shots any time of the year you want as long as you have it posted to its corresponding thread before the last day of that month.

Like sometimes of the year I know I am super busy with work etc...but other times I have plenty of time to go play camera so when i have those times I can look up and say hey (I'm gonna go try and shoot -enter subject) and on the back end if I have a future deadline to have it edited I will get it done.

I don't know how many pictures I shot for challenges but never posted because I didn't edit resize etc because i ran out of time.

also this will allow for you to have a better chance to get your shot if weather is a problem.

and for those of us who travel frequently we may spot something in our travels that would be great for one of the topics but it would not be shot in that months time frame and would have been our only oppertunity to get the shot.

like say the topics for December was Green but someone had an awesome Machu Pichu shot from october they couldn't use..so they just shoot a christmas tree like everyone else is.

I think if you have the full year lined up and the 2011 Challenges just have to be shot (during 2011) and not the specific months you will not only get more people involved but also get a bigger variety of shots based on the topic because they would have been shot during different seasons,times of year,events etc..

as for rewards we keep doing the voting each month and at the end of the year if anyone member has more winning months we can think about some reward for them even if its just a feature on the main page of the site like a self portrait of them and a BIO with links to their site and flikr pages. just to give them some screen time and braqgging rights.

anyway thats my .02

jm2e
08-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Ben, I don't think we would necessarily need more challenges. Right now there's overlap between the voting on previous challenge and submissions for new challenge. What if submissions ran for two weeks, moderator creates a cleaned up voting thread with each persons "best" submissions (maybe 5 days), followed by 10 days of voting? (or something like that)

Alchemy, I kind of like the idea of posting topics in advance, but still think people should be forced to take the shot in a certain time frame for the pressure of the challenge. You could think about and plan your shot all year, but you'd have to close the deal when the game is on. Psychologically, this longing could build anxious anticipation and increased participation. Maybe when all the topics are anounced, discussion threads are started. All year round people could drop pictures in there to bounce ideas around and get people feeding off each others ideas. Your Machu Picchu example would be something you could post up, though it wouldn't be a 'submission' it would definitely add to the drama and the general Psych.

jacobsen1
08-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I see what you mean on shorter times but still monthly, not a bad idea, but what if you see something that's perfect for an upcoming contest when you can't shoot it? And I see what you mean about making people shoot in a set time, if we don't do that it's too easy to dig into our archives and find a shot that works. But maybe if we allow that until it becomes an issue we'll get more participation? I'm all for less rules until something becomes an issue, especially if it gets more people playing...

jm2e
08-23-2010, 12:54 PM
I think it could work either way with the time frames. Either way still makes for a good fun challenge. My opinion stands though; I think in this community, people are more likely to say "some day, when the conditions are perfect, I'm going to get that shot of my uncle's cabin". But if the conditions aren't perfect, they don't take the shot, even if there's a challenge solely about his uncle's cabin and so the challenge falls flat again. But this is supposed to be a Challenge. Get out of your comfort zone and see how good a picture you can take of your uncle's cabin this week only, then be amazed when your friends take a better one and realize you were looking at it all wrong so you go out again. Psychologically, it seems like a better motivating element.

Alchemy-Z
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
I think it just needs to be shot with-in the year or leading up to that month like January you still only have a months time to get your shot.

I'm almost thinking instead of a subject we do a style rather than topic.

Jan - Product Style
Feb - B&W
Mar- Panning
Apr-Night Time
May- + 20 sec long shutter time
June- Natural light
July- Portrait
Aug- Macro
Sept- Flash
Oct - Artificial Light
Nov- Candid
Dec- Landscape

and you have until the end of each month topic to have it complete.

because it will give people a chance to try different styles (but maybe still shoot what they like) like you might have a candid picture of your kid...but I might have a candid picture of a pit crew at the track.

and it will give people a chance to practice different styles they are not familliar with and hone their abilitys leading up to the challenge.

Like Ben wanting to use artifical lighting with his set up....or someone who shoots landscapes alot shooting macro and vice versa.

danm
08-23-2010, 02:33 PM
i like what alchemy is saying here. it works for my brain.

jm2e
08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Curious that people don't want to be restricted to a narrow window of shooting days. Definitely seems to be the consensus opinion of those who have spoken out.

Drew84
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I like those ideas too. Styles rather than subjects.

thechickencow
08-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Curious that people don't want to be restricted to a narrow window of shooting days. Definitely seems to be the consensus opinion of those who have spoken out.

I prefer narrow as well, I think it will keep interest higher.

My idea was:

Post idea, with 3-4 days notice for the shooting window, 1-2 day shooting window, 2-3 day posting window. Total of 9 days would keep a 'buzz' around the contest without being so long it gets forgotten/dropped.

jm2e
08-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Bump for moar eenpooot

thechickencow
08-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Does anybody like my ideas?

danm
08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Does anybody like my ideas?

no. sorry bro. that doesnt appeal to me at all.

i wouldnt really have time to plan anything. most of what i shoot i plan at least the place time and subject ahead of time, just not always what shots.

jacobsen1
08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
no. sorry bro. that doesnt appeal to me at all.

i wouldnt really have time to plan anything. most of what i shoot i plan at least the place time and subject ahead of time, just not always what shots.

wouldn't the different pace make you think out of the box though -vs- skipping it all together?

I do see it both ways, but I know a shorter timeframe HELPS me. If I have all month I put it off, then at the end I realize it's so late and skip it.... Having a few days, I have lower expectations, I'm more likely to participate.

danm
08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
with that short a time frame it would end up being a 'if i happen to stumble upon shooting something that works' situation for me.

jacobsen1
08-25-2010, 02:22 PM
fair enough. How long would you need to be able to plan it? IE we can go shorter than a month still right? What about 2 weeks?

danm
08-25-2010, 02:27 PM
the part i liked was the set plan for them from the beginning of the year. i could have a looooooooooong time to plan for some of them.

the obvious trick there is reminders, if you could do a sticky that stayed at the top of the what's new page it would be perfect

LucKie355
08-25-2010, 02:45 PM
The problem with stickies or announcements is that if they're there for too long, people stop noticing them. If we did that, it woukd have to be something that shows up for a short time and disappears again - kinda like the SoTM voting announcement (which I admit I sometimes don't immediately notice)

-K

jacobsen1
08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
^ yeah, that'd be the plan, a 1 week sticky at most that keeps coming back up as needed.

brian1971
08-25-2010, 04:55 PM
For the last few months I've been making it a priority to enter all the challenges and contests so I might as well chime in here. I like the idea of two weeks to shoot with the theme being announced a few days ahead of time. I don't like the idea of getting all the themes way ahead of time, but that's just me. In my opinion too much notice ruins the spontaneity. I also don't like the idea of paying to enter so a prize could be offered. If I ever happen to win a challenge the satisfaction that someone liked one of my photos would be enough.

jm2e
08-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Question for the admins: Are you looking to get better participation from the most serious photogs in here, or from the newer members who might be using this place as a means for becoming better photogs? Or do you think it's possible to appeal to both?

jm2e
09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Bump because people don't notice anything around here unless it's just been posted on.

jacobsen1
09-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Question for the admins: Are you looking to get better participation from the most serious photogs in here, or from the newer members who might be using this place as a means for becoming better photogs? Or do you think it's possible to appeal to both?

personally if I had to pick it'd be the newer people honestly. We're a photo school. Those that are more advanced and have been here longer are here more for the BSing, friendships and slaps on the back than winning contests. So I'd prefer to use them as a teaching tool and possibly something to bring in more new members.

Algonquin
09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
personally if I had to pick it'd be the newer people honestly. We're a photo school. Those that are more advanced and have been here longer are here more for the BSing, friendships and slaps on the back than winning contests. So I'd prefer to use them as a teaching tool and possibly something to bring in more new members.

I pretty much fit that description to a T. I'll do my best to enter more challengers so I can improve.

thechickencow
09-02-2010, 08:02 PM

I agree with this too, I'd rather have 20 people learning and advance through the challenges, rather than 5 more accomplished people.

For me I need to keep learning and pushing myself, but also need to figure out how to remember to shoot something!

jm2e
09-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I'd still like to see the better photogs in here contribute. Just be nice to see more numbers of contributers.

thechickencow
09-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I meant everybody should contribute for sure, but I'd rather see lots of poor photogs than fewer better ones.

Markitos
09-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I meant everybody should contribute for sure, but I'd rather see lots of poor photogs than fewer better ones.

Why you gotta bring their socio-economic status into this? ;)

jacobsen1
09-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd still like to see the better photogs in here contribute. Just be nice to see more numbers of contributers.

I agree on both parts but the second is key. the "better photogs" is a smaller group IMHO, so if we're targeting someone, lets target the bigger group. This also leads to bringing in new members IMHO.

What about this, what if I write up a NEW tutorial on something. Shutter speeds, apertures, focal lengths blah blah blah. Then we have an assignment/contest/homework for that? I'd kinda like to build our tutorials up a bit more so for new people joining, they have a section to go to with a stickied list of lessons and then each lesson would have a contest/HW thread so they can see how other people did with it and could participate?

thechickencow
09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
How about a tutorial with an assignment at the end, roll those out monthly. I'm not sure if that would replace the challenge or be more like the "homework" we used to do.

These things all work for the first few months, then fall off.

jacobsen1
09-03-2010, 12:32 PM
yep, exactly what I'm thinking Jay. One a month, then leave the HW as open ended so anyone can add their ideas after the fact. This will help build the site as well if we have "interactive lessons". :)

tbert
09-03-2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.tourmsn.com/newsletters/games/images/facebook-like.gif

thechickencow
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM
I think the "Flash at Sunset" in the Homework section is a perfect example of this concept, no?

jacobsen1
09-03-2010, 01:44 PM
link? :lol:

thechickencow
09-03-2010, 01:53 PM
search n00b!

(because I'm too lazy to search)

Alchemy-Z
09-03-2010, 03:22 PM
sounds good

LucKie355
11-12-2010, 11:17 AM
So we had one great month, another OK month, and now almost halfway through November we've got nothin'.

Is it the subjects that are being picked? Or is everyone just busy/waiting until the end of the month to post?

Another idea I had was for everyone to list themes they'd like to see as a challenge, we'll take a vote and the top 12 will be 2011's challenges. Or something like that...

Let's try a little more brainstorming, shall we?

-K

danm
11-12-2010, 11:20 AM
i havent had the opportunity to shoot much this month. and challenges have to be shot in the time period. plus there is no visibility since everyone uses What's new and there isnt a banner with current challenges/contest/etc listed. they get buried.

Markitos
11-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Time is always my enemy. If the theme doesn't fit in what I'm shooting, it's not likely that I will have time to go out of my way to shoot it. I actually had a good idea for "speed," but then the bridge that was going to be in the shot went and malfunctioned (and is still not fixed... :unamused:)

I had forgotten what November's was, but I might think of something for this one. I think visibility/lack of reminders play a big part in it, as well.

jm2e
11-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm going to stick with my opinion that having entries open for a whole month is bad and that having overlap between contests is bad. I think the consistent feedback from "pros" in here is they don't have the time/energy/desire to put into a contest like this. There's no way you're going to change that unless they start feeling more comfortable posting shots they put less effort into. How do you get the nooobs motivated? I know there's a small core group of NSOPers, but there's also a pretty large group of lurkers and occasional drop-ins. That would be the target group in my opinion.

-Ben, are you able to generate figures on user activity? Like how many people post >20x a week versus how many post <5x a week or something like that? It'd be interesting to know the ratio of core users to casual users. Seems like this could guide how you help NSOP grow.

danm
11-12-2010, 12:33 PM
i dont think that is so much the issue, its vision. nobody sees the challenges unless someone bumps them with the current posting format. so it not on anyones mind while they are shooting, when they could incorporate it easily

LucKie355
11-12-2010, 12:50 PM
so how can we increase visibility without bumping the thread every day? Stickies/announcements can also go overlooked if they're up for too long. :/

-K

Blazin
11-12-2010, 12:51 PM
So I've thought about this a few times and I think the problem has many levels, it depends on the person but here it is for me:

1.) Visibility, when I first started here I just used forum index and browsed until I was bitch slapped for not using the What's New feature. Since then I rarely see a challenge pop up.

2.) Reward, there is nothing. No it doesn't have to be tangible like Think Tank or Nik or SOTM, but at least some comments? A pat on the back? Something...? With low participation it's hard to squeeze anything 'valuable' out of the experience.

3.) Themes, I think this has to do with the reward part too.. broad categories lead to wide interpretations which probably lead to little to no feedback as everyone is taking the "whatever floats your boat" mentality.

4.) Building on the mentality above, the nature of this forum is good light-hearted fun, to the point where even when you ask to be torn to shreds, you get whimpy comments. So imagine a thread not dedicated to shredding people, and now you have the "if you can't say anythign nice don't say anything at all" fail.

Would I submit images if there was an incentive? Sure
Would I submit images if there was more participation? Sure

The two are linked, and for me other's comments and participation is the incentive.. :diaf:

danm
11-12-2010, 02:14 PM
so how can we increase visibility without bumping the thread every day? Stickies/announcements can also go overlooked if they're up for too long. :/

-K

plaster a banner at the top of every Whats New page. it seems most people use that at the forum surfing tool.

jm2e
11-12-2010, 02:55 PM
2.) Reward, there is nothing......
3.) Themes, I think this has to do with the reward part too....
Idea: How about letting the winner of the current challenge pick the theme of the next challenge?

Separate Issue:
Personally, I think having the discussion as a separate thread from submissions works against it all. Currently, if someone submits something provocative, I'd have to go to the other thread to comment on it and hopefully start a dialogue that would spurn people's interest in the challenge. Even then, the actual submissions thread wouldn't get bumped and noone would see the provocative image (they'd just see my lame comment about it). Combine the two? It worked with Lightbox.

LucKie355
11-12-2010, 03:32 PM
So I've thought about this a few times and I think the problem has many levels, it depends on the person but here it is for me:

1.) Visibility, when I first started here I just used forum index and browsed until I was bitch slapped for not using the What's New feature. Since then I rarely see a challenge pop up.

2.) Reward, there is nothing. No it doesn't have to be tangible like Think Tank or Nik or SOTM, but at least some comments? A pat on the back? Something...? With low participation it's hard to squeeze anything 'valuable' out of the experience.

3.) Themes, I think this has to do with the reward part too.. broad categories lead to wide interpretations which probably lead to little to no feedback as everyone is taking the "whatever floats your boat" mentality.

4.) Building on the mentality above, the nature of this forum is good light-hearted fun, to the point where even when you ask to be torn to shreds, you get whimpy comments. So imagine a thread not dedicated to shredding people, and now you have the "if you can't say anythign nice don't say anything at all" fail.

Would I submit images if there was an incentive? Sure
Would I submit images if there was more participation? Sure

The two are linked, and for me other's comments and participation is the incentive.. :diaf:

1. I never use the "What's New" feature. It was less than helpful for me, and I never saw the appeal but I'm in the teeny tiny minority. I agree that it keeps people from seeing the Challenges thread because it's so rarely bumped to the top.

2. The old reward was that the winning photo would go on the NSOP blog/front page/what have you. I'm thinking maybe this is something that should be restored as well?

3. I agree that the themes are something to be desired, as well as the broad range of interpretations they cover. What may be super interesting/easy for the person choosing the theme, others may find it boring or too broad and choose not to participate. This is why I suggested taking a vote on numerous themes and selecting the top 12, that way majority rules and the themes are already picked out for the year.

4. I think part of the challenge is selecting your best photo that fits the theme. The critique comes in the voting at the end of the month. Winner gets...??? and we're back to needing some sort of reward. Maybe we should open the thread to critiquing after voting? I can't think of the right wording without sounding meanish (and that totally isn't my intention) but perhaps some critique will help guide those who received fewer votes and help them with future challenges.

plaster a banner at the top of every Whats New page. it seems most people use that at the forum surfing tool.

Still, if it's always there after a while nobody will notice it anymore.

Idea: How about letting the winner of the current challenge pick the theme of the next challenge?

Separate Issue:
Personally, I think having the discussion as a separate thread from submissions works against it all. Currently, if someone submits something provocative, I'd have to go to the other thread to comment on it and hopefully start a dialogue that would spurn people's interest in the challenge. Even then, the actual submissions thread wouldn't get bumped and noone would see the provocative image (they'd just see my lame comment about it). Combine the two? It worked with Lightbox.

That's kind of how it's set up already. Except it's staggered (sp?) because of when voting starts and ends. January picks March, February picks April, March picks May, etc...

I agree that the discussion thread isn't really necessary. I think I'll go ahead and implement that suggestion and we'll keep everything in one thread. :)

Thanks guys, keep the ideas flowing!!

-K

Blazin
11-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Yea.. maybe posting the image winner to the top of the site might help? If I saw an image that I was unfamiliar with I'd click it to see what that's about. Then sure I'd want my image to be in that spot.

I think he was answering me saying the prize is to pick the next theme, and while that may seem like a reward.. I'd rather the flamefest on my entry then a choice of a theme..

My only issue with the 12 themes is you may end up having people only participate for certain months because they are now looking forward to "Green" month in July.

jm2e
11-12-2010, 04:30 PM
That's kind of how it's set up already. Except it's staggered because of when voting starts and ends. January picks March, February picks April, March picks May, etc...
-K
This would be alleviated if the timing were different; eg. new challenge doesn't start until voting for the previous challenge ends. Maybe 20 days of submissions, followed by a week of voting. A few days of communication with kiera to plan the next round and then the new month begins. Or something like that.

jacobsen1
11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Is it the subjects that are being picked?

DING DING DING!!!!

Another idea I had was for everyone to list themes they'd like to see as a challenge, we'll take a vote and the top 12 will be 2011's challenges. Or something like that...

Let's try a little more brainstorming, shall we?

-K

I agree it's the subjects. I think we should all list nice broad subjects we think will work then vote on them for 2011. Then the top 12 are it and posted ASAP. We COULD even go with 24 and do 2 week contests?

I'll see if I can sort that out, but I agree, for those of us that use what's new, it's hard to see/remember the contests....

that's how we do it now and I think it DOES NOT work IMHO. Vague topics work better, or at least those that are more open for interpretation...

Separate Issue:

yeah, I agree. It's a PITA to visit 2 threads to check the submission out, then say something. That should be combined. I'm almost thinking the thread should go into the lightbox section as well and maybe get stickied for the month it's active? That way it's more visible since it's at least in a section people use? I'm also thinking of putting the NUDES section as a subset as well, basically combining ALL the sharing sections into/under one topic? To you go to lightbox for everything/anything photo related? PAD could even be tossed in there as subsets, or even as normal threads in sharing/lightbox to get more views?

jm2e
11-12-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm almost thinking the thread should go into the lightbox section as well and maybe get stickied for the month it's active?
Brilliant idea!
You could keep the challenge section for discussions and voting threads.

Here's a thought for "reward": How about a sticky thread inside of Challenges for the winning shots of all the monthly challenges. When someone wins a challenge, their shot goes into the thread with a link back to the challenge it came out of. Is there a way for threads to get "reverse posts", where the most recet posts show up first instead of at the end? (ideally, the first post would be a brief description of what's in the thread, then post #2 would be the most recent winner, etc, etc.) This way, anyone who wanders into NSOP will have quick access to a "wow" moment as they see all of NSOPs finest on display. Just a thought.

jacobsen1
11-12-2010, 06:31 PM
^ well, if I post the winners to the front page we'd get that effectively and it'd work great for NEW people, but for the rest of us it'd go mostly unseen?

but i'm thinking ALL discussion and voting and posting should go in one thread? We do it with SotM and it seems to work well there?

tbert
11-12-2010, 07:35 PM
My biggest challenge lately is participation.

jm2e
11-12-2010, 09:05 PM
i'm thinking ALL discussion and voting and posting should go in one thread?
Could the moderator copy and paste all the entries up to the first post when voting starts? That'd probably work well.

jacobsen1
11-14-2010, 09:01 AM
I was thinking the voting should be done the same way as SOTM is? Pics IN the poll? I makes the thread a PITA to scroll through admittedly when it's up top then they're in the post again too, but it works best IMHO.

jm2e
11-19-2010, 09:49 AM
First, wouldn't it make sense for this thread to be moved to the challenges forum?
Second, did the 'Speed' challenge voting end? Really? I think the anticlimactic voting process is telling. No congratulations bump or anything?

jacobsen1
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
no, no one goes to challenges anyway, that's why I want to put them in lightbox and that's why this is here.
and if that second part is true, yeah, that sucks.

LucKie355
11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Sorry guys, I usually bump the thread but have been insanely busy the past few days and just haven't had the chance to touch the damn thing.

We have a tie for October. This is new to me, soooo how do we do a tiebreaker?

-K

jacobsen1
11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Dual winners and neither picks the next challenge subject (we're going with 12 presets for 2011)? :)

LucKie355
11-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Then what would December's challenge be?

-K

jacobsen1
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Didn't October pick that, or this IS October? :lol: :diaf:

argh, PM both and you pick the better of the 2? Or put the 2 up as a poll? Yeah, poll it. democracy and some ****.

Tylersladen
11-19-2010, 04:34 PM
nsop stickers, shirts and straps

jm2e
11-20-2010, 12:05 PM
We have a tie for October. This is new to me, soooo how do we do a tiebreaker?
Thumb war?

[Cerberus]
11-20-2010, 02:33 PM
The biggest thing for me, is "Do I have an idea that fits the subject?" I want to participate every month regardless of a prize or who else decides to join. I just have a hard time getting creative around certain topics, which I hope to change by doing this more.

LucKie355
11-21-2010, 12:54 PM
argh, PM both and you pick the better of the 2? Or put the 2 up as a poll? Yeah, poll it. democracy and some ****.

Democracy, ftw. Waiting for PM replies.

-K

jm2e
11-22-2010, 09:46 PM
I vote to not vote.....no, er, or, wait, what?

Warus
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I vote that boobs are the topic each and every month.

jm2e
12-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Leaving entries open until Saturday. If I close it now, there's bound to be someone who'll bitch about it. :wave: :lol: :diaf:
About to post December's thread... I only heard back from Dave (simmda00) so he wins October's tiebreaker by default. ;)
-K
K, I'm super duper appreciative of you managing the challenges. but, I think this months challenge is a good example of what I think isn't working for them. There was NO interest for the first two weeks. No comments, no pre-entry sample shots, no nothin'. Then there was pretty constant activity with no more than a couple days between posts, leaving the thread "on top" so to speak. Then a flurry of activity to post at the deadline. A couple of straglers after the deadlind, then interest died. Dead. Now we have another challenge to distract us from this one.
Again, just my thoughts. The reality is, this was a fantastic challenge. I just think the model can be made better-er.

danm
12-06-2010, 07:47 AM
I vote that boobs are the topic each and every month.

X eleventy!!!!!

jacobsen1
12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
gee, you think the fact participation in last months challenge was tied into a bag prize had anything to do with it? And all those submissions came AFTER I added it as a way to get points. ;)

[Cerberus]
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
There is a bag as a prize?