PDA

View Full Version : Color Question

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

Bark
05-22-2010, 01:05 PM
I would like to learn more about sRGB and Adobe RGB. I use Adobe to process, and I can print on a four-color press in any format. I also, briefly, worked for a printing company. I used to strip film, burn plates, and throw paper. What are the pros and cons of the two formats?

Thanks ya'll.

Markitos
05-22-2010, 02:24 PM
sRGB is the standard, but Adobe RGB has a much wider color gamut and is therefore better for processing, just like RAW gives you more info/leeway than JPEG because it is 12 or 14 bit instead of 8. FWIW, I have always shot in sRGB because I've never seen a substantive difference and it's one less thing to remember/add to workflow.

Bark
05-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I see. Good info. Thanks.

a.hoglen
05-22-2010, 02:50 PM
http://tinyurl.com/32s689g

Bark
05-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Hoglen,
I appreciate the sarcasm. It seems very fitting for you. I know you are a professional in some capacity. Could you, please, just be decent enough to not make this more difficult. If you don't like to speak with me don't follow my threads. You have the right to do what you do, but it would be nice if you were a little less condescending to someone who is trying to learn.

a.hoglen
05-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Hoglen,
I appreciate the sarcasm. It seems very fitting for you. I know you are a professional in some capacity. Could you, please, just be decent enough to not make this more difficult. If you don't like to speak with me don't follow my threads. You have the right to do what you do, but it would be nice if you were a little less condescending to someone who is trying to learn.

Nope, not at all. I just do my homework and then ask questions to clarify.

Sorry about the sarcasm. I thought we were having a good time.

Bark
05-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Alright, all is good. I find when I do the searches I get more technical aspects than I need, and not enough real life opinion on what it truly does.
Thanks alot.

PhatheadWRX
05-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I rock sRGB too

Bark
05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Has anyone found any benefit to Adobe RGB?

PhatheadWRX
05-23-2010, 09:10 AM
As mark said before, the major benefit is you can work in a wider color gamut. However, if you going to convert to sRGB at the end of your processing...

Idjiit
05-23-2010, 10:26 AM
If you can print in a way that takes advantage of the wider gamut, keep your whole processing chain in Adobe RGB. Keep in mind that most browsers and monitors can only display sRGB though.

Bark
05-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I am trying to get to know the four-color at my local shop. I think that printer runs at 8 bits. If it does, doesn't that negate the advantages of a wider gamut?
Also, if I keep it in Adobe for the printer, and my monitor displays in S, then will I be able to fully know what will roll off the press, or will it be a little bit of a shock every time I print?
Thanks alot ya'll