PDA

View Full Version : Cheap UV Filter

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

NickSchietromo
02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
As you may know, I finally got a siggy 10-20. But I want a UV filter for it and I would like a cheap one. Mostly using it for a "shield" for the lens itself.

Im thinking an ebay one

77mm UV Ultra-Violet Filter Lens Protect #030643 CW US - eBay (item 290398597020 end time Mar-04-10 23:24:02 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/77mm-UV-Ultra-Violet-Filter-Lens-Protect-030643-CW-US_W0QQitemZ290398597020QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_ Filters?hash=item439d1aef9c)

or

77mm MASSA UV Filter for Canon Nikon Camera Lens NEW - eBay (item 190361728550 end time Feb-28-10 16:50:39 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/77mm-MASSA-UV-Filter-for-Canon-Nikon-Camera-Lens-NEW_W0QQitemZ190361728550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera _Filters?hash=item2c52717626)

anyone know anything about those ones? Or any recommendations? Thanks everyone:)

thomps6s
02-08-2010, 10:42 PM
First off, congrats on the new lens. That is a great UWA!
Please take No offense to this question, but why buy an expensive lens regarded with high image quality and stick a piece of cheap glass in front of it?

You can get a Hoya (highly regarded filter company) Multicoated UV filter for $26 DealExtreme: $26.90 Genuine HOYA HMC UV Camera Lens Filter (77mm) (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15897)

thomps6s
02-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Something else to think about, with that wide of a lens, using a standard filter you might get added vignetting. You might think about getting a slim filter.

Tylersladen
02-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Vignetting has never been a problem with any of my filters on my 10-20 but, I've never owned grads only used one once. it does vignette on my film body though lol.

Stime187
02-08-2010, 11:18 PM
First off, congrats on the new lens. That is a great UWA!
Please take No offense to this question, but why buy an expensive lens regarded with high image quality and stick a piece of cheap glass in front of it?

This.

And, honestly, why not just be careful with it? I used to own UV filters for all my lenses. Never again.

Tylersladen
02-08-2010, 11:22 PM
why never again?

Stime187
02-08-2010, 11:24 PM
why never again?

Extra money. Extra ****. Extra glass. I don't like extra. The simpler I make my gear the more my photos seem to improve.

NickSchietromo
02-08-2010, 11:26 PM
No offense taken Shawn but I dont really see that much improvement in UV filters and like I said I just plan on using it so if something were to happen to the front, I have the UV filter there. Also, the reason I wanted a cheap was is bc all my money went to the lens haha

Tylersladen
02-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I get them cheap at best buy around 6$ with my discount lol, I might be up in march if you still need one

Stime187
02-08-2010, 11:31 PM
No offense taken Shawn but I dont really see that much improvement in UV filters and like I said I just plan on using it so if something were to happen to the front, I have the UV filter there. Also, the reason I wanted a cheap was is bc all my money went to the lens haha

Shawn isn't referring to it improving your photos, his point (and mine) is you have really expensive glass in your new lens. Why put FAR lesser glass in front of that and stand the risk of HURTING your image quality? Cheap UV filters are a common reason for threads saying "why is my supposed very sharp lens so soft?."

Lenses can actually take a pretty good amount of abuse, that's why I don't bother. The only times I MIGHT use one would be when there's something like blowing sand, sea spray, or similar.

Tylersladen
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I use mine for any bmx, dirtbikes, skim anything that there is stuff moving honestly or if im doing driving shots.

thechickencow
02-09-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm with Scott - I have one in the bag for the extreme weather cases, but don't use it unless I have to. The exception was my 17-55, where I used it to keep dust out of the unsealed front element. I had a UV on that one all the time.

NickSchietromo
02-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Alrighty fellas, thanks for the imput! and tyler my birthdays in march if your trying to think of a gift ;)

jacobsen1
02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
use your hood to protect it, it's free (or at least you already paid for it) and there's ZERO optical issues from them. I also used to use UVs to protect my gear, but now, instead I hood them up and be careful. I will say I still have UVs though and I use them when I KNOW I'll be getting spray on the front. But that's only when I KNOW it's bound to happen and I really want the shot. Day to day shooting I avoid them like the plague. I also just bought a UV for my 20mm for the GF1 though, but only to use as a lenscap so I can skip that step. :lol:

The filters for protection bit is a very old discussion. Some people love them, some hate them. I'm in the hate unless absolutely necessary group. If you're going to buy one though, spend some money on a good one so it doesn't ruin your IQ. Cheap UV filters are crap and you'll have IQ issues. People also say they protect a lens should you drop it, but NO ONE HAS EVER PROVEN THAT EITHER WAY. The resulting glass shards can scratch the FE of the lens if they do break. A hood could also take that impact. The lens might not break on it's own if you drop it. The lens might have broken anyway if you drop it from high enough.

Mythbusters?

Anyway, hoods over UVs unless you really really need them.

NickSchietromo
02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Hahahah thanks Ben! I think ill just play it safe and use my hood.