PDA

View Full Version : Short weekly webinar

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

wrxfactor
01-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't know about you people, but I think webinars are cool. I also think having a short weekly webinar for 5-15 minutes could help drive traffic here. You could use it for various things, but the most important would be for Photoshop and other image processing techniques.

For those unfamiliar with a webinar, it is exactly what it sounds like (live conferencing via the web). I think it would help make Ben Jacobsen a bigger name, and although it woiuld give you more work to do, it would be agreat way to show off your photography knowledge. You could have other members host them as well, based on their expertise.

Enough of the crap behind it; Ben, would you be open to this, and who else thinks it's a good idea?

Kilonad
01-18-2010, 02:14 PM
You would probably want a fairly consistent look between the different members' videos, if we did it that way, and that could be hard to do.

wrxfactor
01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Doesn't necessarily have to be a video feed every week though. Maybe you could discuss some lighting techniques with pre-MSpainted graphics?

jacobsen1
01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
interesting idea. If other people were to want in as well I'd do it here as "classes" or something similar. I've been thinking of doing gear reviews as a video though. But webinars might be weird as that means people can ask questions. I have zero issues with that other than the logistics with a kid at home...

Video tutorials might be miles easier. Reviews are easy for me because I'm picky as hell and swap **** often enough I always have new things to "review".

wrxfactor
01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
What would be weird about people asking questions? If you put a time limit on it and only get to answer a few, people will start threads to get answers to their questions anyways, so it's not like you'd be leaving them in the dust. More action for the forum. If you did webinar reviews live, you could post the video after for people to see. I bet you could get some free products out of the deal from some vendors/manufacturers?

DimDim is an opensource webinar program most similar to WebEx, which I have used and thought was awesome. WebEx is expensive, at $49/month, but if it's free it's for me. If you decide to give it a shot, you can attend some stuff on DimDim before you download it.

I just thought of the webinar idea because of things like camera menus, sometimes you get hung up at home and it helps to have someone able to answer a question on the spot. Just an idea, let's see where it goes, though ultimately it's your decision.

Kilonad
01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
I just thought of the webinar idea because of things like camera menus, sometimes you get hung up at home and it helps to have someone able to answer a question on the spot. Just an idea, let's see where it goes, though ultimately it's your decision.
What are the odds that the question will manifest itself during a webinar? In other words, how often are you going to find yourself in need of an immediate answer during the short window of time that the webinar is going on?

It would probably make more sense to make the moderators more hands-on in the Equipment forums and the Processing Software and Technique forums. In other words, appoint the most knowledgeable people on the forum in those particular topics to be that sub-forum's moderators or in-house experts, and they would do their best to answer whatever questions are asked of them.

For example, I would be the person to appoint as the in-house expert on sticking little plastic dudes on naked ladies, and would field all questions related to that.

wrxfactor
01-18-2010, 03:27 PM
The menu thing is just a small point, I guess. A tutorial on camera menus may help out a lot of people, and being live may be even better. I'm sure a video would work just fine though, with an explanation of why things are nested the way they are. With dual dials, I don't have any of that, but I know I would be screwed if I had to go through some complicated ones like you guys talk of.

I was also thinking of a way that would drive more traffic to the site, and I saw webinars as a way to do that.

Kilonad
01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Don't they still ship manuals with cameras? I hate to sound like a BOFH, but RTFM. That's the fastest way to discover new features.

Also, nobody would be able to cover the menus for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, and Sigma, all on their own.

jacobsen1
01-18-2010, 04:33 PM
^ give me a week and I could... :whatever:

seriously though, the weirdness of the questions is that it'd be a "live" show. That mean I'd need a quiet space at home to do it which isn't likely. Our computer is in the living room and I have a 22 month old, so yeah, it'd look like crap with Idol on in the background. Video done on my schedule might be a lot easier, I'm going to try one tonight but I can guarantee Nikki interrupts with "what the hell are you doing?!". :lol:

Kilonad
01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Just make the interruptions funny, like the dude who does "You Suck at Photoshop"

jacobsen1
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
yeah, I need to watch a few more of those before I do it to try to sound at least slightly amusing but w/o Fbombing it too much... :lol:

KC
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
What can be done that already doesn't exist here: http://www.lynda.com/

--kC

Kilonad
01-18-2010, 04:38 PM
lynda looks like a neat site - never heard of it before. on the other hand, it costs money. $25/mo kind of money.

wrxfactor
01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
I love how Ben voted for option 1, attend but not host.

jacobsen1
01-20-2010, 01:50 PM
:wave: me too!