PDA

View Full Version : You know what would be fantastical?

Please support NSOP by using our affilaites:
      Receive a FREE GIFT from Think Tank Photo

Camera Gear Rentals   

ModernMuseum
01-15-2008, 04:46 AM
...if someone would create a tutorial about using layers in PS. I've never taken any time to really study layers in-depth, but a general breakdown and some quick exercises would be awesome. I think this might be beneficial to people who use PS but have never had any formal training.

One of my buddies is a graphics designer and it seems like every time I ask him how he created a photo, he's like "oh, I made a layer and did this and then another layer...."

Just a thought...

thechickencow
01-15-2008, 06:10 AM
I'd like that too actually. I've got a basic understanding but I know I can probably benefit from more learning.

bikefreax
01-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Yea, what they said ^

LucKie355
01-15-2008, 09:30 AM
We have a "Tutorial Suggestion Thread" in the Tutorial forum for things just like this! :)

-K

_L_U_C_A_
01-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Tried looking up anything on YouTube? There some good video lessons on layer useage for PS.

Stime187
01-15-2008, 10:55 AM
I believe I mentioned something along these lines a while back too. Me and Photoshop don't understand each other.

Jenny
01-15-2008, 11:18 AM
When I first started using the Photoshop (holy ****, 10 years ago now) I swore that the software HATED me. Honestly, for me, the best way to learn it was to play around with the software and see what it does. I'll try to post up something about layer blend modes a bit later today.

kensington
01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Russell Brown has good stuff on his site, http://www.russellbrown.com/ too bad I never took the time to really spend time on it. I have CS3 but don't use it. I still stick with the old version of Nikon Capture cuz that is what I know. And all I do there is some colors and sharpening. Wish I had more time and patience...

jacobsen1
01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
It's on my list. I've just been so busy lately I haven't had any time.

The next 2 tutorials as I see it are:

Basic PPing (what the common adjustments are, and how I use them)
Layers for Layer n00bzthen the next camera tutorial I want to do is shutter speed as it's the next logical step after aperture...

Juanita
01-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Ditto. I've tried some of the tutorials Dogged suggested using layers and inverting but it just isn't working for me.

Sephro
01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
The easiest way to understand layers is to simply think of them like transparency sheets. You know those clear plastic sheets they used in HS for the overhead projectors?

Well your layers are just like that. The highest layer is closest to the top so anything on that sheet will cover whatever is in that area of the sheet below it.

ModernMuseum
01-16-2008, 12:18 AM
It's on my list. I've just been so busy lately I haven't had any time.

The next 2 tutorials as I see it are:

Basic PPing (what the common adjustments are, and how I use them)
Layers for Layer n00bzthen the next camera tutorial I want to do is shutter speed as it's the next logical step after aperture...

SWEET! :ecstatic banana:

Sephro
01-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Before Ben gets around to it here is a VERY brief overview... This is just what layers are, not a real tutorial on how to use them...

First thing you need to do is be sure you can see the layers window. If you can not you can either get this by going to Window -> layers or hitting F7.

Few things to remember about layers

Layers do not have to cover the entire canvas. Empty space in a layer will allow you to see the layer below.
The highest layer in the layers window is the top layer and anything on this layer will cover all the layers below it
To temporarily hide a layer you can hit the eye on the left of the layer in the layers window
To edit a layer you must select that layer by clicking on it in the layers window.
When you see the gray/white checkerboard that is transparent

I made a very simple example to just show what layers are.

What I did here was using the eraser tool I erased a giant hole in the middle of the top layer (Layer 5) and used a smaller eraser on each layer below that. In the layers window you can see the colors of each layer with the hole cut out of it.
http://www.sephro.com/layers_example.jpg

On the left you see the layers window. This shows you all the layers that you currently have.

Here is the PS file
http://www.sephro.com/Layers_example.psd

If you open this try hiding a layer in the layers window by clicking on the little eye on the left you can see the layers disappear. I know this is VERY basic but I hope it might help some people understand the layers a little bit more before getting into how to really use them...

Geekybiker
01-19-2008, 01:01 AM
I think one of the cooler things to use layers for is layer masks. We've all probably chopped someone's head onto another's body. Select the area and copy paste. Layer masks is a more effective way of using parts of photos. It allows you to mask the areas you dont want to use non-destructively. That way you can go back in and change the way the photos blend.

There are also adjustment layers which allow you to add changes like color balances etc without affecting the original photo.

Layers are great in general for working when you dont want to commit to a change until you're finished and ready to flatten the image anyways.

tizzle
01-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Damn, I totally started making a good layer tutorial, but deleted it, I'll try to get to it again

ride5000
01-21-2008, 07:08 AM
i couldn't work withOUT layers... :eek: i NEVER flatten a photoshop file, because once you do you lose all that adjustability that the layers give you.

i also never use the eraser tool--i do everything with masks.

the thing is, there's so much to layers and their use that you could fill a book, so it's kind of overwhelming to think about writing a tutorial on them. where do you start?